Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Thoroughly enjoying RF5 so far. Outfits are A++ dressup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Who needs anyone besides Martin, anyways. :colbert:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Will agree with that the town definitely feels more sterile than earlier, non-3d entire and that it could have used a difficulty more on-par with RF4Special's added one but all-in-all I'd still say it's a perfectly good game for anyone who enjoys the series or genre.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Saxophone posted:

So I’ve been mulling over getting Rune Factory 5. It would be my first RF, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Stardew and put a zillion hours in that.

Should I start with 4 or jump into 5?

Get RF4 Special. It's half the price and is a fantastic game that got even better with the remaster.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Thanks, is this game "bigger" than 4? As in more stuff to craft, collect and explore? Or is it the same/smaller? I like the tedium of getting everything.

It's more of the same with qol but eh, I wouldn't consider it as 'dense' as 4. Like, there's still a ton of content but you aren't always running into new stories playing out around you in town or teasing out weird secrets (that I know so far, as a caveat, not even close to done, obviously).

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Saxophone posted:

Alright. I’ve got 4. What should I know before diving in?

Considering it's your first RF just strap in and enjoy the ride. Do all the requests from the box you can per day and don't be afraid to cancel them if you can't complete them right away as they're your tutorials. Don't be fooled by the credits screens. CRAFT. CRAFT. CRAFT.
Seriously. Crafting is incredibly important unless you're playing on easy and cooking is the gateway to infinite riches. On that note Hell difficulty is really fun but very hard if you don't understand the insane crafting system so I'd do whatever the second hardest is if you want a good challenge and don't mind figuring things out.
Animal taming is VERY strong not only for their farmed goods but also automation, fighting, riding, etc.
There's no time limits on anything so don't worry about missing things.
Everything has levels and they make you stronger overall. Including sleeping, bathing, and eating (once per day).

Spoiler for weird game mechanics and leveling that you may never realize: Consume a chemical x every night before sleeping. It gives you every single debuff which levels your resistance to said debuffs and in turn buffs various primary stats. Sleeping removes all the debuffs. Double spoiler as you can wreck game balance if you abuse this: Throw the chem x at enemies which gives THEM all those debuffs.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 24, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Hellioning posted:

Yes, do not marry the butterfly.

She's easily the creepiest candidate in 4. Illuminata would have been a much better option.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Katana_Warrior posted:

I just started RF4S this week and it's been a blast. Are the earlier ones in the series worth checking out later on?

If you want more story, sure. All the games are very similar, content wise, so if you enjoy one you'll likely enjoy them all.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Jimlit posted:

Giant chickens were my biggest regret in RF4. They make getting eggs a hidden object game.

It was especially maddening as for some reason giant chickens took much longer to start producing large eggs compared to normal sized ones. At least make them lay large eggs by default you clowns :colbert:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Honestly the worst part of rf4 farming was that if you wanted a truly maxed out field you had to use fruit trees and free farming boots to cover everything. Soil health was at least easy to deal with by buying stacks of corn.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

just give us Porco again and don't explain why he looks the exact same, I want more Sainte-Coquille action

I mean. He's basically an immortal being coming back under various guises and names. Don't mind the family in 2.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Speaking of ThingsWithBosses and RF4

You can upgrade staves with boss drops which give them special attacks and abilities usually related to the boss' own attacks. Some are useless, some are fun, most are more flashy than technically useful but you can still make some really interesting pseudo-magic builds.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Saxophone posted:

I’m playing RF4 and in Runa Prana. Woof. I’m using stuff that is current with what’s dropping from the things in there but I’m getting destroyed and my weapons aren’t up to snuff. I’m gonna guess this is where I need to start abusing the crafting system? I tried tossing failed dishes at a boss and it did nothing so I’m guessing that’s no longer a strategy.

I’ve done tons of suicide runs into Sharance but save for like 10 love potions, haven’t found much of use in there.

So a few quirks of the crafting system: Items made/upgraded with Object X inverse the upgrade stats of every item used after them; this effect can be reversed by using another object x later in the upgrading. Using all four coloured rune prana cores (Green/Blue/Red/Yellow in that order) will give your equipment -10% non-elemental damage resistance. Double Steel doubles the effect of the previous upgrade. Ten Fold Steel does the same but 8x. Glitta Augite increases range.
Mealy Apples give a ton of -STR/VIT/INT and -10% all ele resistances. Multiple Apples stack their effect.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I sprinkled gigantizer of four fully-grown onions and the next day when I came back the plot was just empty--not even plowed. Does that mean the soil didn't have enough health? or was something weirder going on?

Chemicals hit the soil health hard. Ideally you want to max out all your chems at once then rehoe in a few corn to bring it back up.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Better sickles increase the maximum level of seed that they can harvest (a silver sickle will only improve a seed up to level 6, for instance, so if you chop a level 5 crop you get a level 6 seed, but chop a level 7 crop and you still only get a level 7 seed).

Should be noted that higher quality soil (Greenifier) can naturally level a crop as it's growing which can be combined with the sickle effect to skip one or more levels. Also can bypass the softcap of the sickle for seeds but at that point you might as well harvest the crop itself and ship. i.e. Even a basic starter sickle can harvest lv10 seeds if the crop itself is lv10 but it won't go from 9 to 10 without soil quality.

Quality especially affects slow growing crops and can easily go up 5+ levels in a single cycle with x2.0 qual.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 7, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

RF4: I have access to the gold-tier farm tools now, way earlier than I got the silver-grade ones, but now I have a problem I never expected to have. My maximum RP is not high enough to forge them!

Drink a relax tea. Gives large base +RP but more importantly +50% max rp on top.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, it's not quite exponential, but the cost increase is incredibly steep. Very rarely should you ever need to boost max RP with food to craft something; it's almost always just a matter of boosting the requisite skill to make the cost affordable.

For normal crafting, maybe, but if you want to power level then Relax Tea is the way to go so you can craft way over level.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

I finally got some Royal Carrots and made an attempt at taming the horse boss. I brushed him a bunch and then tried feeding them the carrots, but they all failed. I got three of them. Is that RNG or is three not enough? Do I need to reset until successful or grow more Royal Carrots?

It's rng. You can also try using a few hits with a love weapon alongside the brushing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

... Speaking of that, I saw a quest from her that I have not the faintest, foggiest clue how to do. Something about growing a freaking dungeon in my crop field like it's a turnip?! What? Literally what? It doesn't tell me at all HOW I do such a thing, just that I can do it.

So, in RF4 a bunch of the obtuse mechanics and hidden items are explained by the random tourists who appear in town every day. Or you can just go look it up because there's a ton of random stuff hidden about.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

:doh: Can't believe I never thought to try that. Thanks! You got me unstuck.

... And then the boss of the place just wiped the floor with me. I'm level 120 or so and I thought my gear was up to date, but he does this AoE attack that's just like "Hi HP, bye HP!"

Using the shield magic didn't help... So how am I supposed to deal with that? I figure there has to be something I'm supposed to do, because I am just getting insta-melted.

Have you been crafting gear, and what difficulty are you on? Level means very little by that point and you should have at least semi-decently crafted and upgraded gear even on normal.

You're also very close to the end of Arc 2.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

You get access to platinum in the dungeon you're in, so it's probably worth making a better set of armor/boots/etc. using it.

(Also farming tools)

Yeah there's plenty of cheap plat recipes that you can 150. Even with just seeds as upgrades you can get decent stats.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

I have yet to find a Dungeon Seed (RF4). The wiki said they were around Sheziro (sp?) Hill, but didn't say how they drop. Enemies? Random crates?

For when I'm ready to dive down the crafting rabbit hole... is there a good place to look at how to do it?

Also... can anybody give me an extremely vague hint on how to start the 3rd story arc? Or is it something I'll stumble upon readily enough?

You can only get them from a dungeon there during the first week of each season. Solve the puzzle, do a battle, get seeds.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/635388-rune-factory-4/68229810 that's an old guide but should get you going.

It's a two-parter and the first part is something you might not ever do which is keep talking to the spot where Venti was a few times. Yes it's stupid. Also no real way to be vague about it but really it shouldn't be that way. Next part you'll stumble across and makes more sense that starts the actual arc. Special fixed the second part if you're playing that so you won't have to wait for rng.

Mokinokaro posted:

Arc 3 is mostly letting time pass before it starts. It won't start for at least an in game year iirc so get married, have a child, etc. in the meantime if you want.

Just keep talking to folks. You'll know it's started when a town event called Memories pops up.

In the original it was this way because of Memories having to compete with all the other town events which is why you'd rig it to try and force the event. Now with special it's forced to be the next town event after the one prereq spoilered. There's no other limits for year/marriage/etc.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 19, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Yup. You're now starting to realize how hilariously amazing Rune Factory's crafting system is and how much you can do with it. My only real complaint is that there's just not that much of a reason to actually engage with the crafting system until the endgame, but it's nice that it's there, and it does definitely make the game significantly more interesting.

Hell Mode in Special makes either crafting or pet raising essential to progression. By the time you hit the third dungeon you'll get smacked down hard without them.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

I've stopped learning cooking recipes or something? I've got stacks of cooking bread my fridge thanks to winning them at festivals, my cooking level is 76 or so, and I don't learn recipes from them.

Does it matter which recipe bread you eat? Like, I have a stack of a bunch of different level cooking bread, will any of them give me something different, or is it just random?

I'm kinda sick of having this bread in my fridge.

Arthur sells wood? Well son of a BITCH I am an idiot. I've just been going around to the seasonal fields and chopping wood manually like a barbarian.

Although I do also need the wood-cutting levels to unlock the recipes for more farm tools so maybe it's not a complete waste.

If you have all the cooking benches then lv80 is the cutoff for recipes from normal bread. Bread+ is required to progress further and that's from Sharance Maze.

Arthur can sell pretty much anything, shipped or not.
Raven, the gem lady, can sell almost any non-crop related thing you've shipped including the incredibly rare ones like love crystals.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Also, my cooking level has now hit 80 and yeah these regular Cooking Breads aren't going to cut it anymore are they? drat it I have several stacks of these things still thanks for festival rewards. What do I do with them? Just sell them?

If you have all the benches and the bread isn't giving anymore then yeah, just dump them. You do want to make sure to get all the recipes from regular bread first for all the crafts though as Bread+ will happily give them instead of the 80+ ones if any are available.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The farming can consume your soul if you really get into it. Maxing out the soil for a perfect farm with nothing but apple trees remains my favourite dumb thing about 4. But hey, the payoff means even more and faster gold crops for even more infinite money :shepicide:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
If you have a decent pc then picking up the game, dumping and emulating it gives solid fps without the loading slowdowns. Switch pro controllers just plug right in too.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Have you checked the hp of the soil? If it's too low the fruit won't spawn and 4 trees at once need regular infusions.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Yes, I got the idea to try that after the apple trees were stuck at 100% growth for months. I planted some clover next to them and whacked it with my hoe when they were fully grown. Then a couple days later I tried the same thing with some withered grass for good measure, since I read somewhere that that also restores soil HP?
How long does it take them to start producing once you restore the soil HP?

Apples should be producing daily. Make sure you check the HP of the tree itself then and see if it's maxed out whenever you're doing your infusions.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

In order:
If you use free farming boots you can cram 4 trees into a single 2x2 tile just like normal plants and still have room to access all of them, even if every single tile on the farm is full.

When you first planted these trees was it on an old field? New field?
If old did you make sure the HP of the field was good? Are you absolutely sure you have watered them each day? Fertilizer bin never ran out? If you don't know any of these then your tree may have rotted, in which case No Rot could save it, otherwise it would likely be easier at this point to cut it down and make sure to max out your soil stats before replanting.

You don't have to plant Clovers or Corn(Recommended) into the 2x2 - buying corn from the shop/growing it and just placing it on the field before hoeing it works just fine for that square and you should do a few at a time if the hp is particularly low or you're running multiple trees - 255 hp is max. You should be using a tool(or any other gear) with a magnifying glass to check the stats as you do this and plant HP will recover from being watered, passively (with high hp soil) or with infusions. If you do any sort of chemicals to soil it'll crash the HP as will fruit so keep it up. The tree's own HP controls the fruit and as it drops it'll pull from the soil to sustain itself.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 9, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Square Enix is making a Rune Factory clone titled Harvestella, coming November 4. (Don't worry, it's also launching on Steam)

Hell yeah. Another game to add to the 'watch closely' list.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Honestly the worst part of the change to full 3d was it somehow makes the MCs seem even younger than just having portraits. I'm sure texmods won't be far behind whatever modding api emerges though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

baram. posted:

on switch probably rune factory 4 if you didn't play it. i hear the performance on 5 is(was?) bad.

RF5 performance was very bad on switch. Its PC performance is much better at least.

Also agreeing that RF4S is easily the best of the group and is just a wonderful game all around with tons of content and dialogue.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

And that's why I love the RF series - the combat is actually worth engaging in, and the weapon crafting allows for some silly bullshit. Hell, the fact that you can ride monsters and use their attacks opens up even more options.

:yeah:

More games need a reason to have combat and to use their crafting. The only other game I can think of that comes close was Fantasy Life for 3ds.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
One of every producer pet at 10 is very good to have. 4 chickens and cows at 10 will overwhelm you with infinite energy.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

a7m2 posted:

If I could only get one: RF4 or RF5 on Steam, which one should I get? I have played the original release of RF4 but I barely remember a thing. I'd love to hear the reasons why one is better than the other

+1 for RF4S.

Better town, characters, events, and just general content to make it feel alive. 5's move to 3d leaves it feeling much more sterile and less like an actual community that you join.

Both are good games but I'd only do 5 if you really like 4 and burned through all its content.

E: Missed you saying you'd get 4 so welp. It's definitely a great game though and the special remaster just makes it even better.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 11, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Saxophone posted:

Im pretty tempted to pick this up. I had never played a RF game before 4 Special and I loved that game. How much of a step back is 3 from 4? Am I going miss any QoL or general game changes?

3 is still a very solid story with the caveat you're limited to only playing a male protagonist. Mechanically they're very similar with 4 just having more of everything to do. Haven't picked up special yet but the new difficulty should help with one of the big gripes of the original games of how easy it was and how you didn't have to engage with many of its mechanics.

4 is significantly larger than 3 with far more to do but even then you're still looking at a 60+ hour game if you interact with most everything.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 5, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Saxophone posted:

I really want more RF in my life but I played the fancy edition of 4 at release a while back and it feels like 3 and 5 are downgrades. I may just wait until/if 5 gets the same treatment 3 and 4 have.

The older entries are still solid but yeah it's very noticeable after RF4S :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's still super weird that you can't date the fox milf but you can date her brother.

Not being able to date the older characters is a problem with the series in general - at least there's usually a bachelor who skews slightly older than teenager.

Let me date Darroch please game.