Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stickied.

Folks if you make a new thread, you can poast about it here and fax may probably get around to adding it to the OP at least for a while. My hope is that in addition to being a sandbox for talking about ideas for new threads, this can also serve as a reference/index to new stuff that otherwise tends to slip rapidly off the front page never to be seen again. We love our megathreads here in TG, many are nice and active, but as a result new stuff is easily missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

let's add Wicked Ones (and other Forged in the Dark games) - Welcome back, Keeper!
and Cyberpunk: in the time of The Thread to the New Threads List.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yesterday I was typing up a "roll or choose a Motivation for your character's reason for doing THE THING" table, specifically in this case because the players settled on "treasure hunting" for the adventure's theme and I want them to each have an in-character motivation (or two) for going treasure hunting.

And I was thinking, hmm, this little six item list I just typed up, it's sharable, system-agnostic, fairly specific, too short to put up on drivethru even for like 99 cents, maybe there should be a thread for sharing stuff like this? Just random game aids, that are open enough that they don't (have to) go in a specific system's megathread, but too short to deserve their own thread, and not wanting to get lost in the chat thread.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's OK, but remember that we can't have posts in which we help people violate copyrights or trademarks or make counterfeit stuff. That might be a significant portion of minis 3d printing, but if we can keep it to like, terrain, homebrew minis, and so forth that'd be sweet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh yeah for sure that's all cool. Just, I loaded up Thingiverse the other day for the first time in a while and one of the first things I saw was a space marine. People have been making knockoff games workshop models since the very first 3d printers came out, pretty much. We'd need a thread rule about it, to remind people of where the line is drawn, and on SA that line is drawn at "don't even discuss how to make stuff that is someone else's IP, or link to places that explain that."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Baumann posted:

Would you consider sites like that off limits then? Personally my preferred site for miniatures is myminifactory, but still that site has stuff that is definitely copyrighted IPs.

I think really big sites like thingiverse have to be held to a similar sort of standard as we'd hold, say, GitHub: you can't really blame the site if occasionally someone uploads bad stuff. But if you linked to, specifically, a space marine model on thingiverse, that's a step too far.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

I've literally never managed to get a solo game to work for me; the best I can do is list off a handful. Not a good situation to be the OP.

Maybe you could phrase it like an ask/tell thread: Hey everyone, tell me about solo games!

Not everything has to be a megathread so if you get some answers that'd be a success. And if the thread has legs, you don't need to feel obliged to like, index it or anything.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Is there a trade, sales, and etc. thread we can resurrect or should I start one?

There used to be a boardgame gameswap thread in SA-Mart, but it faded away eventually. There's also a dedicated magic thread there. I'd prefer if goons are sending each other things of value, that it be handled in SA-Mart, which imposes certain good rules to mediate those transactions.

If you are just wanting a thread that tracks and announces online store deals, discounts, etc. related to games, that'd be cool and not against the rules of TG, but could also live in the Coupons subforum of SA-Mart.

Either way, feel free to link to a thread you make or like there, from any relevant thread here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sorry I haven't been paying attention to this thread for a while!

credburn posted:

I just want to do this fun project that I think would be really kind of original, but I don't have friends.

I think you could make a thread about that here in TG and see if anyone is interested in trying it! Just be aware it sounds like it'd be quite a commitment, and people aren't super likely to make serious commitments like that to random strangers. It might be good to cultivate some contacts, build relationships, maybe take on short-term narrowly-focused projects with collaborators to build a reputation as someone who could pull off what you're suggesting?

Flint_Paper posted:

I've been thinking about posting a thread basically soliciting advice for overcoming the terror of playing RPGs.

I think some sort of "the E/N of RPG" thread could be a good resource, if people can avoid turning it into bad armchair-psychology. Feel free to make such a thread!

Thank you! That's a good thread idea.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You should absolutely create that thread. If it turns out to be too niche, then nobody will post in it and it'll die, but: it's still worth giving it a shot! Also mention it in the chat thread, when it's up.

e., it's OK for content creators to create a thread about their content here, provided you don't just turn it into an advertisement, or wander off and never come back. People love being able to chat with a game designer about the game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have spun up a successor to the old "the philosophy of roleplaying games) thread, and it is here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963413
It is a good place to talk about the theory and practice of RPG design and play.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hyphz posted:

Is this actually working correctly? Relatively few of the threads proposed here have actually been started.

Well, I can't force people to post the threads. It is also easier to have an idea than it is to see it through! But, I hope that this thread is a resource as well as a source of encouragement.

Got any suggestions for improvement, though?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Specifically SF roleplaying games, or SF games of all types including board games? Either could be interesting IMO.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nope. Feel free to make one if you like!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jetrock posted:

I'm interested in creating a Traveller thread; I'm an old grognard who played it starting in the LBB days of the 1980s and the MegaTraveller era, dropping out when Traveller: The New Era arrived--thus, my focus with the OP would be more about old-school Traveller and its influence as an early SFRPG with an absurdly rich game-world (that the developers decided to entirely blow up for no good reason, not that I'm still bitter about it or anything.) As a game it has lots of wacky idiosyncracies that are fun to talk about (dying during character creation, gameplay requiring a scientific calculator, furry appeal for fans of intelligent cats/dogs/starfish/homicidal vegetarians, Imperial space marines before they became SPESS MEHREENS) and as a game that's been around for 40 years, with lots of adherents and variants. Other than a couple "WTF, Traveller?" articles on the main page and occasional passing references to the game in a few posts, I'd never seen a Traveller megathread here so figured it might be time to create one. Time to :justpost:?

Very in favor of a Traveler thread, please do make one. Don't feel as though your OP has to be perfect, either!

Megazver posted:

Crossposting this from Tradgame Chat:

How do people here feel about doing some kind of a TTRPG equivalent of the Creative Convention's Thunderdome? An Adventuredome, if you will?

I think it's a cool idea and if you make one, I'll sticky it and maybe can assist with prize support or similar!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think we used to have a map-making thread, but I don't see one now, so please make a new one!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Most definitely Kiro. :justpost:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Haha well most TGers don't look at the thread index much, they stick to their bookmarked threads. It's not a bad idea to mention and link to your new stuff from one or two related threads.

e. Oh, I see you did link it from the pathfinder thread. Well! We'll see, there's no guarantee of interest but it's still cool of you to post it.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 26, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The TG Secret Santa 2021 thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984315

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nope! It's a game from 2003, there might have been a thread for it that is now in archives, but I don't see any active thread. You could try posting one, or just ask questions in the chat thread where undoubtedly someone who knows the system could answer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Savage World Adventure Edition, the latest version, only came out in 2018, and there's a Pathfinder version that is coming out now. It's not that outdated.

Well, that shows me! Sounds like a new thread might be well worthwhile...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah last night all I did was google Savage World and wikipedia said 2003 and that was as far as my research went lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, go for it! Maps are cool, let's talk about maps.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RECENT NEW THREADS, which everyone should go look at!

Vintage and Collectible Games, inspired by the recently closed collecting subforum, which also has given us
Collecting Trading Cards!, a thread specifically about the trading card collecting thing, presumably including both stuff like sports cards, and cards that are also games
The One Ring - Drop Into Mount Doom With Bong In Hand was actually made back in February, but that's still pretty new. There's been a kickstarter, to reboot this classic RPG, not to be confused with the boardgame of the same name...
Do you want to Roleplay in the Devastation of World War 3? If so, check out Twilight 2000: Good luck. You're on your own. This classic RPG is now entering its fourth major edition.
Flesh and Blood and other TCG Finance - Scam for $1000, then Go Again is a thread specifically about the Flesh and Blood card game, and also more generally about scammy collectible card games and the weird finance guru slash game nerds who promote them on social media.
Back in June, we got a fresh Traveller thread: Dying during Character Creation: The Traveller Thread. This is for discussion of any edition of that game.
Infinitum wants to see your board game collection. Show it off in Board Games - Literally just 50 different copies of Monopoly on a shelf, or just gape at other people's huge investments in boxes of plastic and cardboard.
Grey Hunter made this thread about some kinda homebrew game some folks were working on I guess? Campaign - 18th Century board game development. Maybe you can help!
DrSunshine wants you to summarize your setting, in one sentence, here: Summarize your setting in one sentence
Libertad! is doing some kind of game rules conversion project here: Converting Settings to Spheres of Power & Might Do you use Spheres of Power & Might? Would you like to? Maybe check it out then.
Frozen Peach made a game called Heckin' Hounds: Heckin Hounds - Hades' dog walkers compete to be the most mediocre. The kickstarter was successful and seems to be moving towards manufacture soon.
What's so cool about Itch.io? IMO it's cool because it has loads of indie games, and takes less money from their makers when you buy them there.

We also have a new map thread, maybe y'all missed it:

Siivola posted:

I come bearing a map thread.
Come post about maps!

I may have missed one or two but this is most of the new threads, go check em all out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The 2022 New Years Resolutions Thread is up!

Also, you may be interested in:
The new Commander/EDH Magic thread
Goon Calico Heart's new game, Dead in the West

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Iron Heart posted:

Which thread is the thread to post in about DIY projects? Interested in throwing together a wooden dice tower and other such things.

Hmm. Probably the chat thread. We have a game-creator's thread, but not one specifically for game-adjacent projects. You could also make a new thread! A thread in HCH would also work, and you could post a link to it here & in the chat thread.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Marceline Abadeer posted:

There's a thread for finding IRL game groups, and a thread for looking for players for online games. Where can I post that I'm looking to join a game/what systems I'm looking to play? :abrathink:

(I wanna play some d&d 5e, nothing weird or obscure.)

This is kind of a big gap, isn't it? I think we should have a place where people can present themselves as available for online play, including PbP and also discord/VT/etc.

It'd need to actually have participants, of course, but anyone think it's a terrible idea?

I'm cross-posting this from the chat thread.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, I saw this as potentially being a better approach than the typical "interest check" thing GMs do; if we knew that there were already 10 people who want to play, I dunno, Paranoia, or Star Trek Adventures, maybe that'd clue in our potential GMs that there's an interest. Or a GM could skim the list of players and what they want to play and be inspired to meet some of that demand.

If it just wound up being 100 players begging for games and none of them get those games, though, I agree there's not much value in that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I suppose Tarot-as-game-pieces is legit, and could fit into one of the card threads or in the general chat thread, but you can totally try out a standalone thread and see if there's any interest. You never know!

I would say though that you should expect to catch a certain amount of flak if you try to like, insist that tarot readings actually work and can tell the future or something, lol.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not that I know of. I recall a discussion of maybe making a VTT thread, but maybe an online play thread could incorporate that and also add in stuff like how to play on discord, PbP, game mechanics that favor online play, etc.? Do go ahead and make such a thread, if you like!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's had no traffic for a while but it does exist!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569741

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

I love and cherish my precious Gen-Con threads every year, but do people here go to any other conventions? It certainly does not seem like there is really anyone who attends Gary Con or Origins or GameHoleCon in the Gen-Con thread (besides me and occasionally Nesbit37), and Dragon Con is its own thing I know to leave alone. I probably should be reading the general chat threads to find things like this out, but I am exceptionally bad at keeping up with threads that get lots of posts.

I feel like there may have even been a "Regional Gaming Conventions" thread a decade ago, but if there was it probably got no posts and my vague memories of it are all that remain

But I am glad this thread exists so I can bring it up again!

Dang, sorry I missed this post earlier. I think a general TG Cons thread could work?

aldantefax posted:

So, I’m thinking about making a thread. Most of my threads in recent years have mostly just been blog posts and this one probably would end up being the same, but I’ll go post it later anyway. Probably.

I can't wait!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I don't really go to cons so I don't wanna do that myself but also "being OP" should not feel like a big burden, you can put as much or as little effort into it as you feel like. It can even be posted more like an "ask" than a "tell", e.g. "tell me about cons, your con experiences, upcoming cons, etc." is a fine and good way to start a con thread in trad games too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

moths posted:

Can we do a bracket to figure out who the biggest rear end in a top hat in the year 40,000 is?

Absolutely, yes. But it's obviously the Emperor.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I know we use stats in games and so it's not a totally wild idea but something about looking at a pic of an elf and trying to guess her INT score seems off to me. This also seems very D&D-specific.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yess. Go for it, I like that.

Also I think the art thread yet lives, but I think trapstar already posts over there so I'm just saying so for others who might not know. Maybe the Hot Modrons title isn't super informative! But it also says [TG Art Thread] so hopefully that helps.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wouldn't put a kibosh on such a thread, but it's a fair point that I'm nut sure a lot of people play multiples of those games or want to discuss all of them in one thread? But then again a thread could just be like some guidance comparing/contrasting them like Megazver suggested.

You could ask if there's interest in such a thing in the various threads like the Lancer thread?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a New Pathfinder 2e thread!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gambrinus posted:

Is there a Warhammer Fantasy thread still going, for those of us who have been out of the game for over 20 years?

You meant the RPG, right? Yes!

Warhammer Fantasy Battles is gone, replaced by Age of Sigmar, which is not really a unit maneuver battle game, so some folks moved to Mantic's Kings of War, although that thread is basically dead these days.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TG Secret Santa 2022 is up!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017532