Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I've noticed if you discuss this with people who use slurs against others it usually starts with them not wanting to live in a world with canceled words. Then it becomes others are snowflakes. Them if you suggest just being a bigger person and not tearing down others, they bring up how the past used to allow these words. If you suggest that society grows over time and we become less accepting of hurting others they get really defensive because as it turns out they themselves are hurting. And the only way they know to make themselves feel better is to tear down others with words. So if you can work on making someone feel like they're worthwhile they can stop bullying others. It's just, at the root, a lack of self worth driving those words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

i use retard because idgaf. im an rear end in a top hat, and i'll never stop being one. just that simple folks. its in vogue to argue about it recently so ive been using it more. its really weird stuff tho. like for people didn't talk about retard this long when they ate 30 day probes in that cumtown thread lol.

You're worthwhile.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

see but thats the thing. if your banningt he word because the most obnoxious goony fucks use it, you should just directly say so. theres a split purpose here. 1. using retard is indicative of your character 2. it violates community standards 3. you use it as a carte blanche to get rid of people who are goony fuckers u hate. might as well just be honest about which this is imo.

I reject the framing you're using. I'm simply saying, why say something that hurts a person? Why not be bigger than that?

If someone is offended by a thing I do, I'll make an effort to not do it, especially around them.

If I'm around a christian friend and make a god joke and they tell me I am offending them, I'll stop. It literally costs me nothing to not be a dick. I'll just adjust and be better for it.

If I'm around a muslim friend and they greet me with with "as salaam alaikum" I'm not going to retort with "salami ham and bacon, my brother" because it would offend them. Again, it costs me nothing to be the bigger person and not slur against them.

I don't mind learning new ways to act that make me a more educated and accepting person.

I'm seriously guilty of still slipping the word "retard" into my dialog because I have a long history of being a bigotted racist misogynist from my younger days when I was raised in an Ayn Randian Fox News household where we were just supposed to "get over it" or "grow a sense of humor" if someone was offended by something. I've done a lot of growing since those days but some of the worst clingers-on in my bad-speech is "retard", "retarded", and "bitch". I try to phase them out or correct them if I slip.

"Retard" didn't even enter my conscience until I gained a friend who was called retard when he was younger because he has tourettes, and he has kids with asperger's and autism. It offended him greatly to hear people call others retarded. And it dawned on me that it costs me nothing to not use it, but it costs him emotionally to hear it used.

Why not try to be better people?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

oh thats easy, i don't think of people when i post. not how i interact with a forum. its abstracted and i'll never treat it as similiar to face 2 face conversation or w/e. i don't do the chummy friend bit on the forums, never interact via pm, etc etc.

Ah, the Trump defense. Words on the internet don't matter because it's anonymous.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Actually that brings up something else about people who use slurs against others. And typically just of the older generation, If I ask them if they would say that stuff to someone's face who would be offended by it, they typically response with, "yes." And I seriously doubt that for the majority of them. I know there are some utterly lost individuals who would, in fact, call a black person a n**ger to their face, most of the verbal-badasses are lying and would not dream to do it. They just talk a big game when they're in comforted in the safety of their living room. It's keyboard-warrior status but IRL. They are weak and scared, and would never do it. That why they're trying to exert dominance in some way.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Baculus posted:

what's the German word for when you read someone else's effort post and you just feel horribly embarrassed for them? TIA

fremdschämen

(reflexive, informal) secondhand embarrassment; to feel ashamed about something someone else has done; to be embarrassed because someone else has embarrassed themselves (and doesn't notice)

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Baculus posted:

how much of your pent up frustrations with people you don't like am I going to have to read about?

sorry your dad was an rear end in a top hat but if you insist on sorting that poo poo out here im gonna have to invoice you, bud.

What's your going rate?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

whats up with every time this sorta conversation pops up it veering into this form of weird wish fufillment about imaginary posters doing or not doings something lol. no need for generalization if this is some grievance u have with somebody, just say their name or w//e

I'm drawing on experiences from my life to illustrate a point.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Aceofblue posted:

I'm sure there's gonna be another 15 posts on "Lol you snowflake, I can say whatever I want, just watch me; i'm always gonna be an rear end in a top hat and that's that" but god that is such a lazy response

It's literally the Trumper defense.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

smdh just giving away you’ve been owned by trumpers in the past. just tell them you will chop their children’s head off on Twitter or w/e this took place jfc

I'm failing to understand what you're upset with me about.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Dolphin posted:

That's not actually what happens at all. "Moron" "idiot" "cretin" "stupid" and "imbecile" were all medical terms that began being used offensively at one point so they were retired and replaced with the word "retarded" to prevent these words from continuing to refer to people with various intellectual impairments. After the same thing occurred with "retarded" the medical community retired that word as well, and it doesn't have that meaning anymore. It's actually you guys being harmful for continuing to insist it's offensive to the differently abled and maintain that connotation rather than let it become just another word for "stupid." Like yeah, language evolves. Except when we don't let it so it remains a cudgel to be used by middle schoolers against their disabled classmates.

Yes, it's the people asking others to not be offensive who are keeping these terms in the global lexicon... wut?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Badactura posted:

Is this conversation about calling people retarded in real life, calling people retarded on the internet, or just whether or not it is ok in a cosmic sense?

What, pray tell, is the difference between the internet and real life?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

the biggest sin from trumpers I’ve ever seen is when they talk about their gun safes/cabinets. holy poo poo so much guntalk. it just goes on and on. it’s impossible to stop them. directly coup d'etat my head from my shoulders pls

WHO HURT YOU. We get it, someone spoke about a gun in your past or w//e.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Dolphin posted:

He was literally mocking a disabled person in that video but never once used the word "retarded" so your point is pretty bad
Bullying is bullying.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Slippery Nipple posted:

the word 'retard' has transitioned to a hard slur in my real life and altho i said it frequently in high school i don't say it anymore

also it's been my experience that in the debate of 'you shouldn't say this word' vs 'i should be allowed to say this word' the latter group is more likely to be shitheads (a slur i will never stop saying regardless of its medical history)

bird. posted:

lol this literally is an issue so simple its two yes/no questions deep, can i expect people to be reasonably upset by my use of the slur? does it cost me a lot to stop using it?

if your answers are anything but yes/no then you're an rear end in a top hat lmao not complicated. write up your paragraphs about how you are a well-principled rear end in a top hat or actually there is a real cost & im not an rear end in a top hat but comon, before you clicked on this thread you were self-aware that whatever urged you to reply stanning the r-word was bare bleached rear end in a top hat

Hear, hear.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

thank you for this toehold, it was some customer guy at work. u know that low eq sorta guy who can't read hes being patronized nodded along to. or maybe hes just lonely lol.

No I agree. It's like car-talk guys. I just exit the room when they get going.

"Oh you have a 1911? Have you ever seen a 9mm?"

"Oh 9mm is NOTHING, brah, have you ever seen a .223?"

"Screw that, broseph, I once shot a 50 cal."

"Yea, my buddy owns a tank, we masturbate inside it. derp"

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Dolphin posted:

Other than this thread I don't even use the word, I'm not arguing for its use, I'm arguing that yeah, the greater harm is caused by continuing to tell everyone that it means intellectually disabled but pretty please don't use it that way

I don't think we're "telling everyone that it means intellectually disabled." I think we're telling people that we choose to not use it to hurt others, no matter the connotation or etymology or retiredness of said word.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Bideo James posted:

clip and mag the shooty brothers

Oh gently caress, yea I never lived down getting those two terms wrong.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Baculus posted:

when I was in middle school I started gaining weight and my evil uncle took to calling me porkchop and it was the source of a lot of tears and frankly I think I would like to see discussion of porkchops contained

which honestly could be expanded to all food since we have a food subforum for food poo poo which is easily avoided by people who have eating disorders and other dysmorphia-adjacent disorders.

So, in this example:

I'm not asking the word porkchop to be canceled.

I'm saying that I would never say the word porkchop to you to infer something about your weight and to hurt you.

It costs me nothing to not hurt you.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

gay_crimes posted:

“derp” is also ableist and you shouldn’t use it if you want to righteously scold internet posters about the r word

You're absolutely correct. This is what I spoke about earlier, I'm still guilty of slipping the old poo poo into my discourse. But I should not have used it.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Dolphin posted:

I would personally like to discuss "you loving idiot. you moron. you paste eating piece of poo poo" because I've heard it a lot and it continues to harm me
I will never say it to you.

It's that easy.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Dolphin posted:

not for everyone. this is ableism

What do you get out of that slam?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

FormaldehydeSon posted:

Don't call me stupid

Sure thing.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Bideo James posted:

im calling on all dictionaries to stop printing this word.

I know you're joking, but...

Nah, that's liberal junk talk there. Don't erase the crap from our history. Just educate people on why it's not cool to put others down. A dictionary doesn't assault someone or bully them by defining a word.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Baculus posted:

feel free to actually discuss porkchops or call me porkchop or whatever

something about developing into an adult human who has lived experiences and actual things that affect my material conditions made me stop caring about what some dumb uncle said twenty years ago

And that's a good place to be. I commend you for leveling-up. I've done the same. It's very hard to offend me.

But others aren't at that place that we're at and they still get offended when people bully and put them down. And I have an issue with that. Elevate the weak and deplatform the bullies.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Dolphin posted:

Yes it does, that's literally how propaganda works

Let me clarify. If the definition says "a slur against people with mental disabilities, etc that was once used medically as such and such" then leave it there. That's good context.

If the definition is still "a stupid person" then gently caress that, get rid of it.

As for propaganda. If the word is used (action term) for a purpose of hurting or belittling others, then yes, propaganda. If it's just sitting in a dictionary being a term, then how is that propaganda. Unless it's purposefully an inaccurate definition. But that goes back to the action term. How it's being used.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Star Phlatulence posted:

i agree. no way i can remember what is specifically offensive to each specific poster. i'm way too shitbrained for that.

*activate liberal brain* perhaps there is a technological solution? posters can have a gang tag for each word you don't want to be called?

It's actually easier than that. If a person is offended by the word retard I just won't use it in my lexicon. If someone is offended by n**ger, I won't use it either. Same goes for any other word that people get offended by. It costs me nothing to lose those words from my verbiage. I don't have to adapt my terminology to each person. I COULD do this, and say spic n**ger to a buddy who isn't offended, but not to a blackxican friend. But it's a lot of effort to do this. It's much easier to just ditch the poo poo words that offend others and speak to other people as if they're people.

Be kind to other, don't tear them down.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Fortaleza posted:

Fun excuse to repost this classic:

https://twitter.com/tylerthecreator/status/285670822264307712?lang=en

When you read that, do you thing “ha, good point that’s so true” or do you think he’s mistaken for reasons you can’t articulate because you’re too stupid or proud to realize you’re an idiot bitch who’s wrong?

I, personally, am in a place where I can walk away, unharmed, from a post on the internet. But not everyone is to that level yet. The same argument can be made for a physical confrontation with a bully. You could cynically laugh at the victim and say, "Nigga just walk away from him" but in that moment the victim is probably not thinking about that. They're captured in the bully's framing of the universe and they are scared and/or hurt by his actions. A wiser victim of a bully knows to just walk away. But not everyone is at that stage.

So the defense of bullies, be it IRL or on the internet, as just things that can easily be ignored is erroneous on two fronts. One, not everyone knows how to defend themselves that way yet. And two, YOU'RE DEFENDING BULLYING. Stop being ugly to people. Be better than that.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

been sayin this

It's a good way to live your live when you uplift others and don't make them feel bad about themselves daily.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Colonel Cancer posted:

The only way to defeat bullying is by forming a powerful union and bullying back

I've always felt the best way is through humor. As witnessed by memes against Trump.

If you figuratively de-pants the bully and everyone laughs at him, the power is taken away. But you then have to follow up with the bully on how they can grow from their experience lest you become a bully yourself.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Star Phlatulence posted:

i made it very clear that i think racial stuff is a completely different category. we are talking specifically about referring to people and things that have, to put it politely, poo poo for brains. are you trolling me? i don't think it's appropriate to troll in this thread.

Maybe I need to reset. Define for me the people who have poo poo for brains so I can get on your wavelength.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

gay_crimes posted:

why do you think you are censoring the n word and not the other problematic words? wouldn’t this indicate that you shouldn’t be dragging the n word into this?

Old habit actually.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Platystemon posted:

Did they give you the special socks?

lol my dad buys those socks.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
For my money, these are the best socks I've ever owned. Mirmaru

https://www.amazon.com/MIRMARU-M201...ps%2C277&sr=8-2

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

can a jet take off if its on it?

Ah yes, the euphemism on a treadmill theory of physics. Does the euphemism exert it's energy from the wheels or from the turbines?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
The wokeness of some goons here appears to be in a state of still half-asleep. Or at least they woke on the wrong side of the bed.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Hodgepodge posted:

i can get mean when im tired and sleepy at times but I've never gotten up reactionary in the morning afaik

I sleep in the middle of womyn's lib protests so I can awake each morning ashamed of my past properly.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Hodgepodge posted:

smdh you're supposed to ritually renounce your privilege before and after sleep.

the head of the faithless dog samantonio is to be brought before an LGBT bipoc by dawn. its polite to knock first. remember it is not your place to object to the lived experience of those who receive your oblation. present the offering sincerely and silently withdraw from the scene if you are unable to humbly accept the blows/bullets/long jail sentences with which you are blessed.

I feel I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body. Now what?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Flunky posted:

retarding bread makes it taste better so who's to say if the word is bad or not

The intent lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
It's intent. Always has been.