Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Everyone's all about the locking casters but I just have a length of Paracord tied to one leg of my wheel stand and I pass it behind the post of my chair and clip it to the other side of the wheel stand. Doesn't move with LC pedals, always puts the chair in the same place each time, takes like 5s to setup and take down.

Probably cheaper than casters as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Pablo Bluth posted:

Hows BearPope doing at Daytona?

We got 4 teams, the 1 lmdh team had an off and is ~15 laps down and all the gt3 teams are top 10 afaik.

Most of slot 3 so ~10 hours into it, one is slot 4 so ~6 deep.

Goin well all in all.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
We had a series of tech and driver mishaps, Bearpope DDT (gt3) ended up like 17th of 29 in split 11/18.

by driver mishaps i mean i crashed 3 times

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Carth Dookie posted:

I think I'm going to RP an entire F3 season and see how it goes. get a good tradingpaints scheme and pretend its an F1 season with the goal of beating/comparing to my regional and divisional rivals.

Honestly you should look for a league, I've been doing my first one this season with a bunch of other goons and its awesome - 1 race a week, same people every race, multiple driver classes in the same car so despite a huge range of skill theres always someone to race, and really fun to get to know the other drivers and how they drive. This league is GR86 and some people are doing a GT3 league but I'm sure theres a F3 league out there you can RP to your hearts content.

Also our races get broadcast on youtube with a commentator and it makes me feel like a real race car driver.

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 24, 2023

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
It was prorated based on long you'd owned the car.

Wild battle recently shared by the official iracing YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dd8jGkICr4

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah it's a blast, I wanted to do the Road America 500 but couldn't make it work. We did a couple of fun practice events and I really enjoyed the 90, trying to do some officials is on my to-do list this season.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah iracing has been killing the updates recently, even ignoring all the new content the improvements to the number of cars, loading times, the new grass/gravel change, are all killing it.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
drat send me this 'weed' you're smoking

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
honestly probably best I dont have this 'weed' you're referring to for my own financial health...

I'm over here deciding if its worth buying a GTP for this season as lmp2 participation seems to have gone off a cliff so far this week.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Carth Dookie posted:

Probably going to give it a go this weekend but I don't want to buy the Indy circuit

Yes I know I just bought new wheel and pedals and quibbling over track costs makes no sense shut up.

Indy road is good though, undervalued track imo. I had to pick it up for a league and really glad I did.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yes, it was legit and people reported having accounts with shared username/password getting compromised. If you haven't changed any matching PWs yet then uhhhhhh gl.

Didnt seem like the app itself was compromised.

And yes get a PW manager, 1password seems good. Don't use lastpass.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
You could try turning down the max brake force on the pedals so you dont have to press as hard to max them out, wont make them less stiff but would lessen the force into the rig. Might also just be time to smoke enough weed to buy an 8020 rig and a NRG seat...

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I meant turning down the max brake force setting in the drivers so 40kg = 100% brakes vs 65kg or whatever, replacing the elastomers on the pedal won't actually lead to having to push less hard just more travel when you do.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Agreed with fellblade, and as an alternate to locking castors I used to have a length of 550 cord tied to one part of the stand I could wrap around my chairs main column and then clip to the other side of the stand to lock it in place.

Gripping the wheel to get leverage on your brakes could hurt the wheelbase long term so getting a solid enough setup to avoid it would be good. Hard to get all the flex out of an office chair though.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Those are dope

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Also it's basically segments that are flat, segments where you lightly brake into every corner, and a couple of big braking zones. As long as you know the transition points you can be pretty fast without knowing each turn.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Sunk Dunk posted:

random q - in high downforce cars, do you trail brake the same way as you do with low downforce cars? im assuming with high downforce you want to get off the brakes faster and let the aero get you through the corner at higher speeds, but im not sure how much i should be changing my braking technique

I'm not the best driver but I trail brake in DF cars in the same way I do in GT cars, but its a little less aggressive depending on the car and corner. It feels like the car slows faster just off the throttle so it doesn't need as much brake to slow down, but trail braking in a DF car still loads the front and encourages the car to rotate in the same way it does in a non-GT car. The aero will give you a much higher apex speed to target and I do a more gradual "U" shaped line in a DF car vs a "V" in a GT car but still trailing the brakes all the way to apex.

If you aren't on it already garage61 is a great resource for free telemetry comparisons between yourself and some very very fast drivers, but I usually find it more beneficial to find someone ~1.5-2s faster than me vs the fastest driver on the service when do telemetry analysis.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Lmp2 participation in IMSA has been bad this season, I'm sad.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Use one of the people who organizes the goon leagues so they get money for our sessions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

phosdex posted:

Yeah I'm racing MX-5s at Lime Rock. Did 2 more races, finished 4th entirely due to everybody else crashing out around me. That got me my D class license. My next race I thought a guy on my left bumped me after the last chicane, but looking at the replay I bumped him. Anyway that spun us both and my car had some light damage, just drove it out and finished basically last.

My handbrake doesn't seem to work. It's mapped, but pulling it doesn't do anything. Trying to figure out how to launch. Funny that this game doesn't "hold" you until green light. Found that out in my first AI race.

I forgot to check replay, but I think a guy blew his engine. We exited a corner and this puff of smoke came out of his car and he just instantly slowed down.

The game will hold brake for you if you're stopped. I usually clutch in, shift to first, floor it and then try to modulate clutch to keep revs high until the car is moving and then fully drop it. If you have clutch paddles you can do bite point mode where you pull both in and releasing one will get you a set amount of clutch each time, basically makes for a cheater launch every single time.