Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

spunkshui posted:

Its not pure gambling, this dice has a bunch of poo poo stuck to one side and I can see how it might roll.

I think this is where amateur traders, myself too, are right and wrong.

The dice is absolutely loaded and you can absolutely tell which way it is likely to go.

Thing is, professional traders with six monitors, AI assistance, PHDs in theoretical faster than light statistics and hundreds of millions of other people's money have already priced in any insight any of us could ever come up with.

You can definitely pick good long term investments and do well, but I can't see how day trading is anything but a gamble where you're at a massive disadvantage to 90% of the other punters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Pretending anyone's quick google of "roblox profits" is truly deeper analysis than my quick google of "what will roblox open at, ok buy it below that, sell it if it hits this level of profit" kind of makes me shrug.

I have a dashboard that follows trending social stocks. as long as you comfortably take profits along the way I do not care if something is a pump and dump. Because there are always somehow people stupider than me (and this is saying something) it's pretty easy not to get left holding the bag. Don't trade on margin, don't gently caress hard with options.

Literally don't care what the company is, except I personally won't play at all in the defense/security space gently caress that. Gambling ain't war profiteering. I've absolutely learned my lesson about not taking profits and hoping for a moonshot. 10% > 0%

edit: Day trading is not "trading during the day," nobody here is advocating day trading which is at best a full time job and at worst an incredible way to lose it all. Day trading means buying and selling within the same day, often liquidating all positions to cash every single close.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 11, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

I think this is where amateur traders, myself too, are right and wrong.

The dice is absolutely loaded and you can absolutely tell which way it is likely to go.

Thing is, professional traders with six monitors, AI assistance, PHDs in theoretical faster than light statistics and hundreds of millions of other people's money have already priced in any insight any of us could ever come up with.

You can definitely pick good long term investments and do well, but I can't see how day trading is anything but a gamble where you're at a massive disadvantage to 90% of the other punters.

How is me saying I’m going to buy and hold it if it gets low “day trading?”

I would be holding it betting they would eventually pull out the memes 1 more time.

The thing wallstreet they can figure out better is if they can get a 7% ride or a 700% ride because no one knows how high bubbles go but they study them.

Me? Id be out after 25% if the pump comes.

No one goes broke taking profits.

They might never pump again, but my money is on them doing this until it fails. Or at least 1 more time post stim.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 12, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bus hustler posted:

Literally don't care what the company is, except I personally won't play at all in the defense/security space gently caress that. Gambling ain't war profiteering. I've absolutely learned my lesson about not taking profits and hoping for a moonshot. 10% > 0%

why do fundamentals suddenly matter in this case

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

buy low sell high its easy :confused:

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

bus hustler posted:

I've absolutely learned my lesson about not taking profits and hoping for a moonshot. 10% > 0%

How much money did you lose on Gamestop?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I made an average of $20 per share in gamestop this time because I'm not a Diamond Hands idiot.

Where I didn't take profits was on meme stock SPCE & am holding $120 in unrealized losses.

Probably not going to lose my shirt over these amounts. It is exactly like small time gambling. But do some of you not know about stop loss orders or are you just pretending they dont exist? They arent going to come and claw money out of my account like Bill Gates "buying out" Homer's business because a stock fell. Once a stock goes profitable I set up target sell points and stop loss points and walk away. That's the trick. Don't think about "what you could have made." If it tanks my stop loss executes and I get a tiny profit, break even, etc. If i goes up up up, I get my tidy profit and walk.

Don't sit here watching the graphs like a goon and trying to time poo poo.

edit: YTD I am down $41 so maybe re calibrate what you think i'm spending here, and that does include a few stocks i am legit long on and just hold in this brokerage

edit: lol you post in the stock trading thread you know all of this, do you really think you're doing anything majorly different from me here

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 12, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When a stock really tanks, a stop loss won't save you from losing money.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

in almost all normal market conditions a stop loss will be fine, literally dont know why you are acting like i just YOLOd 10 grand into GME or BTC instead of spending a small amount of fun money that costs less than a new GPU.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

bus hustler posted:

in almost all normal market conditions a stop loss will be fine, literally dont know why you are acting like i just YOLOd 10 grand into GME or BTC instead of spending a small amount of fun money that costs less than a new GPU.

Because mocking someone who is gambling is sometimes just as much fun as gambling

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

bus hustler posted:

I made an average of $20 per share in gamestop this time because I'm not a Diamond Hands idiot.

Where I didn't take profits was on meme stock SPCE & am holding $120 in unrealized losses.

Probably not going to lose my shirt over these amounts. It is exactly like small time gambling. But do some of you not know about stop loss orders or are you just pretending they dont exist? They arent going to come and claw money out of my account like Bill Gates "buying out" Homer's business because a stock fell. Once a stock goes profitable I set up target sell points and stop loss points and walk away. That's the trick. Don't think about "what you could have made." If it tanks my stop loss executes and I get a tiny profit, break even, etc. If i goes up up up, I get my tidy profit and walk.

Don't sit here watching the graphs like a goon and trying to time poo poo.

edit: YTD I am down $41 so maybe re calibrate what you think i'm spending here, and that does include a few stocks i am legit long on and just hold in this brokerage

edit: lol you post in the stock trading thread you know all of this, do you really think you're doing anything majorly different from me here

Gratz on your win. You seem to be taking things a little personally. I made a bit of money off AMC, and I think people buying into it right now, like I did, are dumb.

I don't like stop loss orders in a volatile market like this one, you can get bumped out at a loss the stock flies back up, but they are a good idea here with this terrible stock.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Grrr day trading is literally gambling and the strategies are literally no more no more likely to make money than the Wink Martingale or any other classic gambling bet.

Do you know how I know? If anyone could reliably gain even 1% per day (360% per year), they could borrow and margin trade and rapidly own all money in existence. And hedge funds would pay them millions to give stock advice.

So just like every gambler they actually just lose $1000 then win it back and through the magic of selective memory think they are up $1000.

The best professional traders average beating the market by a tiny amount (otherwise, again, they could own all the money in existence), and day traders lose to index funds.

Rawr. People who have convinced themselves they have 1 weird trick to win at stocks are my pet peeve. Capital does not work that way. It is just selective memory and random gains and losses, all the way.

Edit: however gamblers are often very happy about how much they think they are winning, while I am grumpy at them, so perhaps the real loser is me

teardrop fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 13, 2021

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Stopped reading after the second animal noise. You're weird.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
It could be a DMX thing.

Or XD

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

teardrop posted:

Do you know how I know? If anyone could reliably gain even 1% per day (360% per year), they could borrow and margin trade and rapidly own all money in existence.

1% per day is more like 4000% per year

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Charles Ingalls posted:

1% per day is more like 4000% per year

Welcome to the GME thread where the math is made up and the losses don’t matter.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

MasterBuilder posted:

Welcome to the GME thread where the math is made up and the losses don’t matter.

He's right, compounding values and all that. 1% a day is not 360% gain in a year, it's way way more.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Thread title is accurate again.

A long time ago, I learned that goons who bought $500 Star Citizen spaceships were getting out by reselling the ships on reddit, for a profit. I made a post that was something like "I wish there were a pack of idiots to bail me out of all my bad life decisions."

Crazy deja vu. :psyduck:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
This means it will go up even more.

BUY BUY BUY

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Waiting on my 10 shares of GME to print while watching the world economy implode slowly is the only thing I look forward too, so we got that going for us at least!

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Small update the dividend stock split rumors came true, wtf are these guys doing at Gamestop?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

When I'm not very hungry I'll just cut my pizza into four slices because eight slices would be too much pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

numberoneposter posted:

When I'm not very hungry I'll just cut my pizza into four slices because eight slices would be too much pizza.

https://twitter.com/BaFin_Bund/status/1554435590824902658

No you would have had to create a whole new pizza with 4 slices, that's the discrepancy behind what's going to happen in the next week.

The German version of the SEC just said flat out that due to retail investor outcry the split was not handled correctly and now german brokerages are going to have to go out and locate the shares the DTCC weren't able to provide because they ran out.

That's the theory anyway and should be interesting if other countries oversight bodies pile on or sweep it under the rug.