Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Pyrtanis posted:

I really want to just find a hospital job again and do what I know I'm good at, even if it's less money

What like biomed? Seems pretty chill from what I see. Then you can pick up IT stuff and be the IT guy for all the biomed devices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TheBlackVegetable posted:

10 years ago the developer was probably making the choice of a quick solution that would probably be fine, or taking longer to do it right and risk getting put on blast by some rear end in a top hat middle manager for taking too long

And it sounds like they made the right choice, if it took 10 years before it became a problem
Well sort of. In SAP you need to go out of your way to code an entirely new piece of code to display what is starting as an FLOAT as a comma decimal notation string.

Instead there are plenty of standard SAP objects that are examples of using a standard routine that does the conversion for you so instead of hacking in a whole new piece of poo poo doing formatting you just include (or copy and paste the contents if you're really dumb but that's a different problem with upgrade compatibility) the standard method and let it deal with formatting based on essential user settings.

Tldr you have to do more work to get a worse result and the developer needs coached about how to display technical variables in user preferred formats.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
What about in Netsuite? It’s unthinkable to me that an employee can’t be assigned to a location, so all sales orders, currency numbers, and inventory fulfillment are from that location by default, but the higher ups are telling me it isn’t possible. I never know if I should be angry at the makers of Netsuite or just whoever is in charge of it at our company. Probably both.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Hotel Kpro posted:

What like biomed? Seems pretty chill from what I see. Then you can pick up IT stuff and be the IT guy for all the biomed devices

I used to do transcription before I transitioned into an Epic Cadence trainer/analyst position. The hospital I was at got bought by another group that used Cerner so the writing was on the wall. I was taking care of my parents at the time or else I would have gotten that sweet consultant money

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ravus Ursus posted:

Lol. Lmao even. Every time I've tried to teach someone a better way I've been reprimanded for interfering with their workflow by their managers after the person I taught complained.

I'm stopped offering help and instead watch people write down numbers on a sticky note. Close and save the excel file. Open the other file. Then hand key in the number from the note. And repeat for each number.

This is why I don't read this thread too often, because I'm sitting here screaming.

I've worked with people like that and, dear loving god, do they make me want to pull my hair out or just shake them until all the stupid in their heads falls out their ears.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Welp. Guess I'm now officially responsible for getting our stalled-until-now-by-apathy-and-politics ISO certification process off the ground after we failed the first audit on all parameters. It started out with "Can you spare a couple of hours a week to lend a hand with this?" and all of a sudden I'm now The Person.

Yes, there is already considerable bickering among departments as to who gets to own various standards, policies, and guidelines that give them more say over the area covered by said certification. No, there isn't a process overview we can start from because of unclear mandates and office politice, which is part of why we failed. And yes, 75% of my bonus KPIs are now magically directly linked to us passing the audit by 31 December. Why do you ask?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mzuri posted:

Welp. Guess I'm now officially responsible for getting our stalled-until-now-by-apathy-and-politics ISO certification process off the ground after we failed the first audit on all parameters. It started out with "Can you spare a couple of hours a week to lend a hand with this?" and all of a sudden I'm now The Person.

Yes, there is already considerable bickering among departments as to who gets to own various standards, policies, and guidelines that give them more say over the area covered by said certification. No, there isn't a process overview we can start from because of unclear mandates and office politice, which is part of why we failed. And yes, 75% of my bonus KPIs are now magically directly linked to us passing the audit by 31 December. Why do you ask?

You have 7 months, I think you can find another job

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

About 6 years ago I interviewed for a contracting gig where they were looking for a project lead. The interviewers straight up told me the project was already doomed and I just had to be there to take the blame when they fail to meet the hard deadline in 6 months. :v:

They didn't offer enough for me to be a scapegoat.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Collateral Damage posted:

About 6 years ago I interviewed for a contracting gig where they were looking for a project lead. The interviewers straight up told me the project was already doomed and I just had to be there to take the blame when they fail to meet the hard deadline in 6 months. :v:

I got accidentally scapegoated but I had such a good relationship with the customer that I ended up getting a sideways promotion, lol.

I interned for the customer in college and the contract focal I work with was my landlady, lol.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Collateral Damage posted:

Why would they admit this? :psylon:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Why would they admit this? :psylon:

They weren't good at project management in the first place, so their "find a patsy" project didn't go well either.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Squiggle posted:

No, but there's a paper trail that they loving told that rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: OH
The important last line is "Please reply to this mail if anything above is incorrect".

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Barudak posted:

You have 7 months, I think you can find another job

Yeah. Maybe I'll move to Singapore, I hear the weather's nice there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Splicer posted:

The important last line is "Please reply to this mail if anything above is incorrect".
If anyone has enough institutional or legal credit to ignore the existence of memos because they are too busy to read emails the powers that be be are just going to giggle at these sorts of lines or read receipts and then tell you to make your email a meeting knowing that you won't have the time to do so.

Document it, put it on blast to anyone who would care, and move on.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This is why I don't read this thread too often, because I'm sitting here screaming.

I've worked with people like that and, dear loving god, do they make me want to pull my hair out or just shake them until all the stupid in their heads falls out their ears.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Simply get a job about implementing software people have not started using yet and you can mold each and every user to use the software exactly like you (or quit or retire in a fit of rage).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

zedprime posted:

Simply get a job about implementing software people have not started using yet and you can mold each and every user to use the software exactly like you (or quit or retire in a fit of rage).

You have to press ctrl, alt, y, m, > and enter at the same time to save an entry. Failure to do this perfectly will delete the entry

Welcome to my timesheet entry software

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

You have to press ctrl, alt, y, m, > and enter at the same time to save an entry. Failure to do this perfectly will delete the entry

when the dev has a twister kink

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Outrail posted:

left or right or either ctrl/alt?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Dameius posted:

left or right or either ctrl/alt?

Depends. What time zone are you in?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Zopotantor posted:

Depends. What time zone are you in?

More importantly, what time zone is the server set to?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dameius posted:

Even more importantly, are you synced via you work issued Apple or Android smart watch?

Note: we have a delay on the smart watch rollout

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can’t tell if I’m just suffering from the standard imposter syndrome or if I’m about to finally get Peter Principle’d into an absolute nightmare scenario because people assume that the reason I come across as confident and capable is because I am in fact confident and capable, and not just because I’m very practical and don’t publicly lose my mind when things are going sideways.

My boss’ boss wants me to take on a very large and significant ‘future of the department relies on this and if we botch it we’re all probably fired not long afterwards’ project because they believe I’m more than capable of delivering it and I haven’t got a loving clue where to even begin. It’s me, I’m the dumb poo poo my work does.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I can’t tell if I’m just suffering from the standard imposter syndrome or if I’m about to finally get Peter Principle’d into an absolute nightmare scenario because people assume that the reason I come across as confident and capable is because I am in fact confident and capable, and not just because I’m very practical and don’t publicly lose my mind when things are going sideways.

My boss’ boss wants me to take on a very large and significant ‘future of the department relies on this and if we botch it we’re all probably fired not long afterwards’ project because they believe I’m more than capable of delivering it and I haven’t got a loving clue where to even begin. It’s me, I’m the dumb poo poo my work does.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Milk it as much as you can then use your inflated title/position to jump ship before it crashes and burns. You've now stumbled on to the executive fast track.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Biplane posted:

Milk it as much as you can then use your inflated title/position to jump ship before it crashes and burns. You've now stumbled on to the executive fast track.

Resume should have "oversaw big technical project with massive scope and budget" with nerry a mention of the delivered state. And bail before you get a delivered state.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Is there anyone in the company capable of delivering the project? Take the position and delegate all tasks to the capable person so you can 'focus on project delivery'. Take credit for success. Jump ship prior to failure and recommend capable person as successor.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Domus posted:

What about in Netsuite? It’s unthinkable to me that an employee can’t be assigned to a location, so all sales orders, currency numbers, and inventory fulfillment are from that location by default, but the higher ups are telling me it isn’t possible. I never know if I should be angry at the makers of Netsuite or just whoever is in charge of it at our company. Probably both.

It's both. It's always correct to be mad at Oracle and also the NetSuite team.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Dameius posted:

If you try to create an expense in Concur before GMT is on the same day as you are (I'm GMT+8, so if I create one before 0800) it will fail with an error that you can't create expenses that are in the future.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I’m very practical and don’t publicly lose my mind when things are going sideways.

This is a surprisingly large part of what being competent is at most jobs.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I worked two full time jobs up until last week. The less demanding, lower-paid remote job lost some high volume item at walmart and started firing people. So I lost my family's health insurance, which was dogshit but the company paid half.

They offered for me to work hourly (I am the compliance department and they will rack up chargebacks insanely quickly without me) so I guess I'm just going to bill 20 hours a week no matter what? Anything less is not worth having any of the weight of testing/audit schedules to keep in the back of my mind.

Sucks I will be doing the same amount of work for half the pay and have to find new insurance 1/3rd of the way through the year.

:patriot:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I know it’s a dead horse but the way you organise health insurance over there is really weird.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

But it creates shareholder value, so who can say if it's bad or not?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Health insurance here is a cartoon villain's scam. It's parody. But it's real life and it gets worse every year.

America is irredeemable. It is 100% owned

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

~Coxy posted:

If you try to create an expense in Concur before GMT is on the same day as you are (I'm GMT+8, so if I create one before 0800) it will fail with an error that you can't create expenses that are in the future.

What a strange way to not take on debt.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

McGavin posted:

But it creates shareholder value, so who can say if it's bad or not?

Don't forget the job creation!

There's the companies to whom you outsource claims, ask them to adjudicate fairly, and pay them for every claim denied

Or the people that have no surgical training that make an extra buck deciding if you really need the surgery being recommended

Or the morticians

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I know it’s a dead horse but the way you organise health insurance over there is really weird.

How dare you? It's the most profitable healthcare system in the world.

no seriously we hate it and it's literally killing us help

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

~Coxy posted:

What kind of pervert is creating expenses as they go and not some time 4 weeks later after receiving several notices copying upline begging you to clear your expense balance?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

WebDO posted:

Don't forget the job creation!

There's the companies to whom you outsource claims, ask them to adjudicate fairly, and pay them for every claim denied

Or the people that have no surgical training that make an extra buck deciding if you really need the surgery being recommended

Or the morticians

don’t forget the funeral home owners who just let the bodies rot

https://t.co/PlU5aitswL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Silly Newbie posted:

It's both. It's always correct to be mad at Oracle and also the NetSuite team.

I didn't realize how bad they were until they gave us a year of their advanced learning suite.

I went into it and was hoping to learn something.

>Advanced user program: how to build a report.
Step 1: modify an existing report before making a new one.

Jesus Christ. I thought my knowing more about the system than their "engineer" was because he was actually a salesman trying to upsell us. Nope. They just don't poo poo about their own systems.