Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My brother took me to Rural King in horse country Virginia and it kicked rear end, especially the baby chicks and patriotic t-shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Poster boards are probably for the 4-H crowd doing displays at the county fair.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Actually it's for Trump rallies

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

peanut posted:

Actually it's for Trump rallies

So a different kind of child then

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

My current office chair at work sucks. Everyone else at work agrees our chairs suck and actually kinda hurt. We've been through a couple of rounds of "better" chairs with the bosses and I've realized the root problem is their idea of a "good" chair is a $300 chair instead of a $150 chair.

Funny enough, they also offer standing desk risers and I'm starting to see why they're so popular in this office.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 11, 2024

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

peanut posted:

Tomorrow my job consists of riding the train, buying jelly, and mailing jelly.
It's very nice jelly.
https://www.kitchoan.jp/shop/c/ck1013/

Update: I just spent $900 on fancy jelly

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

zedprime posted:

Farm supply stores are Walmarts that sell fertilized chicken eggs and fish antibiotics. Poster board seems right on brand, as well as most other craft supplies I can think of.

Sure. But I'd rather we not sell that since poster board is a loss item for the most part. I don't know enough about the tractor supply crowd, I go in there for hay for my rabbits and gently caress off asap. But we make poo poo like, canvas paint by number, wood burning starter kits, and those weird as bead by number diamond paintings?

I dunno, maybe I don't know the market for dollar store crafting materials but it's seems weird as poo poo to stick in a farm store. But if it pops off and makes a ton of money, more the fool am I.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

^^I hate when we have back-to-back posts because of the weird symmetry of our avatars.

So success: I previously mentioned I brute forced our contract with a key vendor to start last week after several months of people dragging their feet. I got notice yesterday that the first payment was deposited on time (no reason for it to not to have) and it looks like this is a viable path going forward. When I get taken off the purchasing detail in the next couple weeks I'm going to maintain control of the contract so there won't be any gaps on the process. There was a little friction at first, but once people realized how much more streamlined things are going to be they were happy to finally work with me.

Dumb poo poo: Last Summer someone in operations obtained a quote from a vendor and sent material to them to be plated. He didn't tell me he got a quote (which has MY NAME ON IT), nor that he sent the parts. Only when the vendor didn't get their $750 did he start asking me why there wasn't a payment. After checking things out I found that the order number the vendor had been tracking the part under was their quote number and pieced the rest together from there. Every couple months the guy comes back to me and demands I pay the vendor, but he always disappears when I tell him I need some way of funding the request at the least. Well, in his most recent reappearance he actually had a charge number I could use. Here's the problem: I found out after our first interaction that this guy used to work for the vendor. He's been cited as the "Westfield guru" and works closely with them. If we need a quote on something and we don't get it in 24 hours he makes a couple calls and gets it turned around immediately. This is a clear ethical problem and because I didn't do any of the quoting I have serious questions about how the vendor got drawings and how they arrived at the price. Their minimum is generally around $500, so either this was a more complex job OR they knew they could charge more because of who was asking for the quote. This was less of a concern when the guy just kept asking me to write a check (because most of operations has no idea how supply chain functions they think that's just what we do), but now that he had something I could work with I didn't think it was a great idea.

I told my boss' boss about the situation when he called me yesterday and apparently this has happened before with another employee and their former employer, but I didn't get many details. About an hour later I'm in a call with my boss, boss' boss and his boss explaining the situation and the request. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not to issue a PO for the work until my management can determine what the gently caress operations was thinking. Like, there's a possibility this guy gets fired for this. Getting fired over $750 is insane, but the concern isn't the (in the grand scheme of things) tiny amount of money involved, it's that if we don't address this now the guy will just keep doing this over and over for as long as he works here. He's constantly advocating for the supplier; he was the one who wanted their net terms to be reduced to 15 days instead of the current 30 (which is still below the standard 45), he's pushed to have us send them random test units and worked with them directly to get pricing and a reduced lead time. The major concern is that he may have sent them technical data they weren't supposed to have over an unsecured system, which is a violation of company policy. we need to figure out how all this unfolded, but if we can prove he sent drawings over email he's gone.

Here's a fun fact: no one can tell me what he actually does on a day to day basis besides "talk to the supplier" which is not an Operations function. We laid off over 1000 people in January and this guy's job is talking to one supplier. What the gently caress is happening?

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 11, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
HR gets so intense about reminding us that trainings are due, they even email you and your manager a week before it's due to say its outstanding, even though it IS NOT :psyduck:

I've started doing all my trainings on the absolute last day they're due because gently caress you. Our HR (as all HR ) is anti-worker scum and to them I will never do something early just to help them out and boost their metrics.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 11, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

HR gets so intense about reminding us that trainings are due, they even email you and your manager a week before it's due to say its outstanding, even though it IS NOT :psyduck:

I've started doing all my trainings on the absolute last day they're due because gently caress you. Our HR (as all HR ) is anti-worker scum and to them I will never do something early just to help them out and boost their metrics.

I will straight up guarantee that this is happening because some time in the past there was something either serious or semi-serious that revealed that someone hadn't been trained, and HR got their hand slapped over it. So now they're playing a high degree of CYA to make loving sure that training gets done and, if it doesn't, that they can point to specific individuals who they informed multiple times in writing and it is, therefore, not their problem.

Two obvious possibilities crop up for me. The first is some kind of audit finding. This could be anywhere from no real big deal (ISO certification audit finding for example, that's mostly a rubber stamp as long as your check clears to the certification team) but still somewhat embarrassing to an actual big deal (customer audit that puts a lucrative contract at risk). The second and likely more serious would be a workplace related injury where the investigation revealed that someone hadn't done relevant training. Even if it's something really obvious that the person obviously knew, it can still create legal peril for the employer. If Bob's been working for the dick slicing factor for 20 years, has done his "don't stick your dick in the dick slicer" training 19 of them, but doesn't get his annual training done on year 20 and then ends up with his dick in the dick slicer it is very much a no bueno situation for everyone involved.

There could be other stuff in play depending on your industry, but those are the really obvious examples.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
This is the same place that forgot to send out 1099s until I alerted them. So yeah, they've definitely hosed up before, and instead of fixing their system and processes, they're doing the bare minimum legally mandated trainings and harassing us to do it as CYA.

They threatened to make training completion dates affect people's raise percentages, so I'm wondering what thing they hosed up so badly to need to hold that threat over everyone's head. There's a story there, for sure.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

A project manager refused to implement a process the way I recommended it because she thought it was too time consuming (she obviously had no idea how it worked because it wasn't time consuming at all) and after trying to argue the point in two separate meetings I gave in.

So, we did it the way she wanted which was vaguely defined and even more time consuming and prone to more errors, and of course we just had an error which could have been easily prevented. The error only cost us a fraction of a percent of the total budget, but apparently, it's a big deal and now the project director is like "What went wrong and how could this have been prevented?!"

And I was the one who discovered the problem, so guess whose fault it is. Had I not reported it no one would have known lol

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Dumb poo poo a salesman (who I usually like) just requested:

"I need you to go and correct our cost on the items on these two invoices [that have been closed for 2 months]. My profit margins aren't right."

But we can't. We can't change this stuff, not without getting someone to change the database, and IT already told us they wouldn't or couldn't. And isn't it fraud to misrepresent a cost to pad your commission? I did not say that last part out loud.

It was before I even started handling this product so I don't even know where to start, but don't intend to stretch myself out too thin to figure it out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ceciltron posted:

"I need you to go and correct our cost on the items on these two invoices [that have been closed for 2 months]. My profit margins aren't right."

But we can't. We can't change this stuff, not without getting someone to change the database, and IT already told us they wouldn't or couldn't. And isn't it fraud to misrepresent a cost to pad your commission? I did not say that last part out loud.

It was before I even started handling this product so I don't even know where to start, but don't intend to stretch myself out too thin to figure it out.

In a past life, I used to work in account management at an enterprise-level marketing automation provider (this was before I took over marketing), and the sales guys were my absolute bane.

In one egregious incident that still occasionally gives me nightmares, one of the sales guys took "over-promise" to a whole new level. Now, again, bear in mind that we were a marketing automation provider (think Pardot, Marketo, Exact Target / Salesforce Marketing Cloud, stuff in that space). Well, this sales guy sold an exceptionally stupid prospect on the idea that our software could not only function for sending out emails, but it could also be their database / CRM of record; however, our platform was in no way capable of doing this. One of the tech guys and I banged our heads against the wall for three months dealing with these Florida yokels, and finally I went to the VP of account services and said, "Look, we've got to go hat-in-hand to this client and admit that they were over-sold, because we're not a CRM."

That sales guy got booted down to business development (basically doing cold calls) for six months, and the day after I was free from dealing with this client, I called up the CEO in the Atlanta office and asked if the offer to become the director of marketing was still good. I was gone from account services three weeks later.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Yesterday I got an email with the subject line "test" and nothing else. The body of the email was also "test." It looks like I got included on some new distribution list and the other people on the list did their thing and started a Reply All chain. If you've never seen one of these it's typically a couple "What is this about?" emails followed by "Can I unsubcribe?" leading into "Please stop replying all." You never, NEVER want to get to the third phase because it unlocks the fourth phase "HAHAHA, am I annoying you with my response!?" That's where we ended up at about nine this morning. Between nine and noon there were 200 new replies, half being "stop replying all" and half being the phase four stuff that ended up including a bunch of memes, people joking about how bad an idea this was and others remembering when this happened in the past. Finally, the person who sent the first email pointed out that we should all just select the "ignore" option for the thread, but a bunch of people told him to gently caress off (in more corporate language) because we were having fun posting with our new friends.

Unfortunately, I had to put the thread on ignore because I was getting a few dozen emails an hour on top of the few dozen I usually get and was having trouble keeping up with things because of it. Always like a good diversion from being an ultra serious company.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Ceciltron posted:

he is definitely testing to see if you put up any resistance or if you will quietly be his fraud patsy, do not do it

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

Yesterday I got an email with the subject line "test" and nothing else. The body of the email was also "test." It looks like I got included on some new distribution list and the other people on the list did their thing and started a Reply All chain. If you've never seen one of these it's typically a couple "What is this about?" emails followed by "Can I unsubcribe?" leading into "Please stop replying all." You never, NEVER want to get to the third phase because it unlocks the fourth phase "HAHAHA, am I annoying you with my response!?" That's where we ended up at about nine this morning. Between nine and noon there were 200 new replies, half being "stop replying all" and half being the phase four stuff that ended up including a bunch of memes, people joking about how bad an idea this was and others remembering when this happened in the past. Finally, the person who sent the first email pointed out that we should all just select the "ignore" option for the thread, but a bunch of people told him to gently caress off (in more corporate language) because we were having fun posting with our new friends.

Unfortunately, I had to put the thread on ignore because I was getting a few dozen emails an hour on top of the few dozen I usually get and was having trouble keeping up with things because of it. Always like a good diversion from being an ultra serious company.

I love the ignore button becauase I get to pretend to be Very Smart and Professional to my boss in an "Oh, yes, I saw that and ignored it immediately. Didn't hurt my workflow at all" way.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

StrangersInTheNight posted:

he is definitely testing to see if you put up any resistance or if you will quietly be his fraud patsy, do not do it

He copied like 4 of us on it including the sales director, so while I do believe it might not be outright fraud it might be "stupid, accidental fraud".

Still not getting involved in it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ceciltron posted:

I love the ignore button becauase I get to pretend to be Very Smart and Professional to my boss in an "Oh, yes, I saw that and ignored it immediately. Didn't hurt my workflow at all" way.

*Tag all incoming emails to ignore*

Hey boss I tripled my productivity today!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

This happened a few years ago in the Canadian Armed Forces. Senior NCOs and junior officers started participating in the fourth phase and there were LCols (replying all to hundreds of people) ordering them to stop. It was glorious.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Another division ratfucked me, I asked if an itemized unit comprised 4 parts and was assured over the phone it did but the two times I asked in email were ignored, pallet showed up today with 2 instead of 8. Now I'm scrambling and my customer probably thinks I'm a fuckin twit, poo poo owns. I really want to just find a hospital job again and do what I know I'm good at, even if it's less money

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pyrtanis posted:

Another division ratfucked me, I asked if an itemized unit comprised 4 parts and was assured over the phone it did but the two times I asked in email were ignored, pallet showed up today with 2 instead of 8. Now I'm scrambling and my customer probably thinks I'm a fuckin twit, poo poo owns. I really want to just find a hospital job again and do what I know I'm good at, even if it's less money

Never trust anything over the phone, get everything in email, paper trail all the way

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lazyfire posted:

"Ignore" is the coward's way out. The pro move is to forward the thread to a folder named "lol"

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

Never trust anything over the phone, get everything in email, paper trail all the way

Yeah, you'd think I would have internalized that working with vipers in hospitals but I guess the lesson needed to be relearned.

Customer is cool with my solution of a different unit, sent my driver to go get them from another branch (not the one who ratfucked me) and all will be ok.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Timby posted:

In a past life, I used to work in account management at an enterprise-level marketing automation provider (this was before I took over marketing), and the sales guys were my absolute bane.

In one egregious incident that still occasionally gives me nightmares, one of the sales guys took "over-promise" to a whole new level. Now, again, bear in mind that we were a marketing automation provider (think Pardot, Marketo, Exact Target / Salesforce Marketing Cloud, stuff in that space). Well, this sales guy sold an exceptionally stupid prospect on the idea that our software could not only function for sending out emails, but it could also be their database / CRM of record; however, our platform was in no way capable of doing this. One of the tech guys and I banged our heads against the wall for three months dealing with these Florida yokels, and finally I went to the VP of account services and said, "Look, we've got to go hat-in-hand to this client and admit that they were over-sold, because we're not a CRM."

That sales guy got booted down to business development (basically doing cold calls) for six months, and the day after I was free from dealing with this client, I called up the CEO in the Atlanta office and asked if the offer to become the director of marketing was still good. I was gone from account services three weeks later.

The first litigation support job I ever worked at had this exact same guy - he kept selling law firms on stuff that the database software clearly wasn't capable off, no matter how many times he got yelled at for it. "WE CAN'T DO PDFS FOR SUMMATION" may as well have been the department motto. But because he did "great volume", he kept getting encouraged and rewarded for it by upper management. Even my reformatting the entire billing/project management sheet so that there's no "PDFs for Summation" box didn't stop him from doing this poo poo. Also he was belligerent and homophobic as hell and made everybody in the department miserable. He's probably a C-suite somewhere by this point.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Engineering middle manager putting the whole project on blast because someone 10 years ago hard coded an SAP form to use American decimal notation and the English sales department can't send a pack list with German decimal notation to Germany so he posts the Wikipedia page on decimal notation.

He is right and I want a time machine to go back 10 years ago and slap the developer until they understand what user settings and conversion routines are.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pyrtanis posted:

Yeah, you'd think I would have internalized that working with vipers in hospitals but I guess the lesson needed to be relearned.

Customer is cool with my solution of a different unit, sent my driver to go get them from another branch (not the one who ratfucked me) and all will be ok.

There’s one particular person who insists we do all our communicating through Teams chat because he “has so many unread emails, new emails just get lost”. I know he’s really doing this so that if there is an issue in future, he can blame me, he’s already tested the water and suggested that I have forgotten things to his boss.

Now everything is emails, no Teams chat, no calls, if there is a call I email him a summary of the call afterwards.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Scientastic posted:

There’s one particular person who insists we do all our communicating through Teams chat because he “has so many unread emails, new emails just get lost”. I know he’s really doing this so that if there is an issue in future, he can blame me, he’s already tested the water and suggested that I have forgotten things to his boss.

Now everything is emails, no Teams chat, no calls, if there is a call I email him a summary of the call afterwards.

If the mailbox is already too full, they're not going to notice you sending summary emails right?

Just asking for a friend.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

No, but there's a paper trail that they loving told that rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: OH

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 12, 2024

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Squiggle posted:

No, but there's a paper trail that they loving told that rear end in a top hat.

(that's the point / joke)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Doesn't teams save the chats?

Teams doesn't save chat logs????:psyduck:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Outrail posted:

it had better because otherwise theres no record of me sending tgif simpsons memes to the rest of the team every thursday for the past 4 years

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

They used to, I think most places have it turned off now as a 'best practice', after the last 500 businesses were burned in discovery when someone's teams chat about 'the new secretary with fat loving milkers' or some racist bullshit ends up read out loud in court.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Scientastic posted:

I force people to just do a Teams chat with me a lot even if they want to call me because "I'm working on multiple issues and this helps me keep better tack" among other excuses.

But really it's because they're on my "known rear end in a top hat" list and I want the CYA for when they inevitably complain so I can show my boss that they say "I'm not doing that, fix it" when I ask them to reboot their computer.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Teams messages are saved in a hidden folder in your email mailbox. A properly motivated IT peraon should be able to pull out every message ever sent to or by you.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

blatman posted:

it had better because otherwise theres no record of me sending tgif simpsons memes to the rest of the team every thursday for the past 4 years

All these memes gone, like tears in the rain.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I need to get a supplier set up for direct deposit because they absolutely suck at cashing the paper checks they are getting. Every month or so they tell me we didn't pay or something we absolutely cut a check for, but they failed to mark the check number or something. That's just not acceptable because we are planning to expand our business with them heavily in the next few months, hence the need to move them to direct deposit. Before the end of 2023 all the forms and workflows were hosted on the Compliance sharepoint. When they switched to the new sharepoint site they stopped hosting the files. I have the workflow saved and it still lists people who have long departed the company as the owners of the process, so I reached out to my contact in Compliance about this. He tells me that it's actually Business Process Management who should be dealing with these sorts of requests, which means absolutely nothing to me, so I ask who I need to talk to for what should be a five minute process.

An hour later I get an IM from someone who thinks I want to transition a supplier from a direct deposit to a paper check. I let them know they have it backward and they stop responding. Today I got an email where a generic inbox told me to go send in the workflow for the change. When I pointed out I needed the files I was told they were available at a link that threw up a 404 error. No response after I screenshotted that page.

If our suppliers reach out to our Accounts Payable like they are instructed to on our POs AP are literally trained, I found the standard work for this a while back, to tell the vendor to talk to their buyer. This is because most of our AP team is Accenture contractors who have no access to our systems. Our paper-check suppliers lose on average two checks per year, so when they reach out to the AP team they get told to ask the Buyer to cut a check, a thing a Buyer can't do because of the massive ethical quandaries it presents. Before I knew better I reached out to the Accenture team when things came up, specified I was the buyer and saw no issues with the process that would lead to non-payment, included multiple screenshots and asked for assistance. They told me to email the buyer and in one instance gave me my own email address stating I could fix my problem. My response of "that's me, I'm the person emailing you now" didn't seem to impact them and I got another "physician, heal thyself" email a couple days later. Everyone worried about AI ruining things hasn't seen how bad we already are at doing things. I literally had to go develop contacts in the business to figure out how to avoid the pitfalls of our contractors. The actual AP head told me she hates the Accenture people and would cut them off if given the option. When I asked what her people did it was more about dealing with tooling, fixtures and taxes. Accenture was there for the less important stuff.

Two more weeks. Two more weeks and I never have to deal with purchasing bullshit again. I will not miss this.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Silly Newbie posted:

properly motivated IT

We're all safe

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Outrail posted:

We're all safe

except for the times where properly motivated means "axe to grind"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

zedprime posted:

Engineering middle manager putting the whole project on blast because someone 10 years ago hard coded an SAP form to use American decimal notation and the English sales department can't send a pack list with German decimal notation to Germany so he posts the Wikipedia page on decimal notation.

He is right and I want a time machine to go back 10 years ago and slap the developer until they understand what user settings and conversion routines are.

10 years ago the developer was probably making the choice of a quick solution that would probably be fine, or taking longer to do it right and risk getting put on blast by some rear end in a top hat middle manager for taking too long

And it sounds like they made the right choice, if it took 10 years before it became a problem