Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

TheBlackVegetable posted:

LLMs, and ChatGPT 4 particularly, are proving very useful for programming assistance - you just have to know exactly what you want, how to ask the right questions, and how to validate what is produced.

They are great tools for boosting the productivity of good developers, but they are just a tool.

They're useful if you're an expert so you can correct them. That's exactly the reason I don't use it, I'll just do it right the first time or actually learn from a mistake. Too many AI psychos where I work overusing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

blackmet posted:

The typical person making up free form communications for a financial institution has a pretty terrible grasp of English. So, I sort of get why you would want to use an AI to turn their gibberish into something professional.

But the problem is that they don't really read either, so any errors the AI makes won't be fixed. Which is actually even higher risk.

ChatGPT did help a friend of mine who manages a group of blue collar workers in state government. HR came to him, told him they suspected some of his employees of making GBS threads on the bathroom floors (but couldn't quite prove it). They asked him to send out a general email about it.

Because he couldn't figure out a way of writing an email that wasn't just "Hey, if you're making GBS threads on the bathroom floor instead of the toilet, stop it," he got Chat GPT to write it for him. It had the same zero effect that you would expect, but it made him look good.

Oh I'm aware. Get this: we wholesale. We're not only stupid, we're scum of the earth AND can't find our rear end with both hands, an assistant and a mirror.

I just had someone use the phrase "guaranteed market returns" in an email I was copied on. I may take the rest of the week off to lie in a dark room alone and scream.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Another day, another interview with someone who's lied so egregiously on their CV that they can't even bullshit their way through softball questions. What's more frustrating is that these applications are supposedly being screened by a recruiter. Our requirements are simple - C#, API, database testing experience. All you need, I'll take someone experienced in another language if they have the other two because the skills are largely translatable.

Today's guy listed he had C# experience but couldn't tell me what a class was. API testing but had never used Postman nor could tell me what a GET request did (and that's the emergency break glass "gently caress this person might not have ever seen an API before" question). He did know how SQL works, at least.

We're now into month 2 of this recruitment process and no signs of actually getting a candidate. Either people applying are perfectly qualified but live 3+ hours away (and we have to be in the office 2 days a week), or don't have the experience they say they do on their CV. We offered one person I used to work with but unfortunately the salary offer was barely over what she's currently making. I am well over 300 CVs now. gently caress.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

EvilHawk posted:

Another day, another interview with someone who's lied so egregiously on their CV that they can't even bullshit their way through softball questions. What's more frustrating is that these applications are supposedly being screened by a recruiter. Our requirements are simple - C#, API, database testing experience. All you need, I'll take someone experienced in another language if they have the other two because the skills are largely translatable.

Today's guy listed he had C# experience but couldn't tell me what a class was. API testing but had never used Postman nor could tell me what a GET request did (and that's the emergency break glass "gently caress this person might not have ever seen an API before" question). He did know how SQL works, at least.

We're now into month 2 of this recruitment process and no signs of actually getting a candidate. Either people applying are perfectly qualified but live 3+ hours away (and we have to be in the office 2 days a week), or don't have the experience they say they do on their CV. We offered one person I used to work with but unfortunately the salary offer was barely over what she's currently making. I am well over 300 CVs now. gently caress.

Sounds like your company is being too stingy to get the talent they want.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

I wouldn't want to be in the office 2 days a week to do those things either. Gonna have to pay more to get someone for that.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah, you'll have to do:

01. Pay more
02. Allow fully remote
03. Both

Probably in that order, but maybe reverse 1 & 2 to find someone.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

My company has been understaffed in every technical area since 2020 because they also require people to come into the office 2-4 times a week (depending on department) and nobody in leadership will budge on that.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

My company has been understaffed in every technical area since 2020 because they also require people to come into the office 2-4 times a week (depending on department) and nobody in leadership will budge on that.

I’m required to come into the office for “collaboration and team building”. Nobody else on my team is at this site. I commute to the office to talk into a webcam all day.

:smith:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Execs really underestimate how much WFH is worth to some people. I've got a coworker who is pretty open about how he's turned down higher paying work because they wanted him to come into the office anywhere from 25-100% of the time, and the money he's saving on child care means that he's effectively making more here than he would there.

Me? I just like my morning commute to be from the bedroom to my office, enjoy petting my cats during the day, and am willing to pay a bit for that if need be.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Going from 2 days a week in the office to 3 days kinda sucks. Something about that 3rd day in a row really seems to drag the week out. I have been doing it for a couple months now, and miss Thursdays at home. Really destroys my willingness to be productive on Friday.

And it’s not like I have a long commute (15 minutes depending on lights), it just sitting in the office waiting on teams calls to start sucks. I have had people stop by my desk an average of about once a month since I started this position 2 years ago, and the extra day hasn’t changed that.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I currently make more than I ever have to drive to an office 5 days a week and do nothing for 8 hrs plus an hour lunch break. I had a day of work 2 weeks ago, and I just got word that I’ll have another day of work in 2 weeks.I mean I can’t complain too much, but it’s ultimately unfulfilling. Thinking about studying to be a project manager or computer toucher.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Krustic posted:

I currently make more than I ever have to drive to an office 5 days a week and do nothing for 8 hrs plus an hour lunch break. I had a day of work 2 weeks ago, and I just got word that I’ll have another day of work in 2 weeks.I mean I can’t complain too much, but it’s ultimately unfulfilling. Thinking about studying to be a project manager or computer toucher.

Play your cards right (or wrong?) and you can have computer toucher money doing the exact same level of work as you are now.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

wash bucket posted:

I’m required to come into the office for “collaboration and team building”. Nobody else on my team is at this site. I commute to the office to talk into a webcam all day.

:smith:

I commute to the office to talk into a webcam all day to people who work in the same building.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Dameius posted:

Play your cards right (or wrong?) and you can have computer toucher money doing the exact same level of work as you are now.

Ahhh, life could be a dream.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Salami Surgeon posted:

I commute to the office to talk into a webcam all day to people who work in the same building.

Same. I'm doing the bare minimum to meet the '2 days in office per week' requirement. I do half days on Tuesday and Thursday and fill them with meetings so people don't bother me.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
My office has one day in the office, to which I simply don't go in

Also they're all getting covid and I'm not, not sure what that's about

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

kdrudy posted:

They're useful if you're an expert so you can correct them. That's exactly the reason I don't use it, I'll just do it right the first time or actually learn from a mistake. Too many AI psychos where I work overusing it.

It's like a virtual junior hire you are forced to manage for no additional salary

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We're "encouraged" (but not required) to go in three days a week. The company that bought us (and is now spinning us back off) is constantly discussing making four days in a requirement, but nothing's happened so far (Because they know it will result in a mass exodus) and the CEO of our company has repeatedly said "Nah, this is working fine" So I dunno how that'll shake out.

The push by Facilities to change to a four day, 8 hour work week is still happening, and I wish them godspeed.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
The four 10-hour day work week is so good

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I just got asked by two different people to provide a profile picture for an email announcement today. Guess who's about to get reorged!?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

I just got asked by two different people to provide a profile picture for an email announcement today. Guess who's about to get reorged!?

Not you. Prepare to be let down. Then if it happens it'll be all the more pleasant.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Lazyfire posted:

Are you getting reorged back into your old role before you started your new one?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

20 Blunts posted:

I did this for a couple months at a previous job and yeah. If you find a company that will give you a full 30 minute lunch instead of the 15 minute break for that shift you can't not take the option. The company I worked for that had the 4-10 option gave you the ability to work 5-10s with the 5th day being time and a half AND let you come in for weekend hours. I make 1.5x more at this company than I did working that insane schedule. The only benefit was that the facility was near a really good brewery so I would leave at noon on Saturday and fill a growler on the way home. I miss Outer Light.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Salami Surgeon posted:

Are you getting reorged back into your old role before you started your new one?

Based on who asked, I'm about to get sent to non-product contracts, which is fine by me because that's what I've technically been doing for the last year. The manager likes me because I was a dick about getting my last contract signed. Too bad I like my current manager, but there's limited growth in her org.

Funnily enough, this may be the right spot for me because I just recently started organizing a long term contract with a supplier that wouldn't fall under my current management's purview. I'll know more tomorrow.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I just spent the day chasing tails because our manufacturer in China air shipped us 700lbs of short shipped product on 4/11. It's been sitting at LAX since 4/12. No one told me about this and expected it to magically appear at the warehouse by itself.

An ops grunt came to me, after bouncing to 4 other people, who are all managers, that shrugged and pointed at someone else as the responsible party.

I reached out to our normal freight forwarded and bless that dude because he sure tried but the customs people stonewalled him.

I ended up having to draft a limited power of attorney so the customs hold would release the shipment to our freight forwarder.

Because the attorney left early.

I made the owner sign the PoA. As per norm, she didn't read it and just signed off on it.

Meanwhile, I had a solo meeting with a brokerage who would handle every aspect of importing for us, including calculating added landed costs per unit for us, and provide us with daily updates on tracking for these shipments. Literally poo poo I'm manually doing, and takes up about half my time. But we won't use them because.... We're loyal to a forwarder who outsources the customs part and gives us no data. Though they sure did scramble today.

I'm really glad I have like 3 people in different departments I can get updates from. This is a trainwreck of the highest magnitude.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

tactlessbastard posted:

We are talking about the guy who wants to take away our overtime pay because, and I quote, 'it's not fair for you to get it and I don't'

And nobody has egged his car in the parking lot because...?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am currently wholly sustained on the entertainment of how violently the jr warehouse associate is rolling his eyes when the sr associate tells him "I remember what to do, I'll write my notes down later" and then immediately doesn't remember what to do and asks me.

This is now the second warehouse I'm sad I'm not near retirement age to get a cushy gig at working 8 hour days fulfilling orders at the speed of grandma doing sunday shopping at Walmart. The margin on this poo poo must be astronomical.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
We have been working for over a year to make changes to our system. Extensive testing of pretty much every function our custom software does. A couple months ago it was decided that we were going to containerize our data for added security so they copied all of our DBs into new instances and we tested there, though very limited compared to what we've been doing. Mostly just "hey go and see if this screen works, maybe do some updating or adding of data." Our team bangs this out. Then a couple of weeks ago "Oops we hosed up, can you go retest all the screens again?" gently caress. Whatever, it isn't hard and that's what I get paid to do. This time we do the whole thing in one goddamn day. A tester working in a different environment was doing much more extensive testing and logging an absolute shitton of bugs because we have contracted with a company to do the coding for us. We were supposed to go live on the 8th but it was decided after much hemming and hawing that we would delay it for a week because they still had 40 open bug tickets. Probably a good thing, since we were originally going to go live April 1st (lol) and I took the week of the 8th off to go see the eclipse so I wouldn't have been around to help with tickets and troubleshooting. The system went live over the weekend, and everyone logged on Monday to start working.

It was a loving. Disaster. Every kind of ticket from "I can't log in" to "the system is eating data" to "our system can no longer do basic math." What's worse is our users have one system to log tickets, and we use Jira so we have to take the ticket from the user, contact them and go through all their steps, then copy all that poo poo over into a Jira ticket. So basically double the work. I verbally mentioned to my team that I didn't know how this could've happened. Like, we didn't test everything but I think we would have noticed things like "when you update a client's address it disappears." Surely something got hosed up along the way. At about 3pm today my boss calls us all into his office, shuts the door and tells us that the reason we're having so many problems is because the loving contractor had a newer, different version of Java installed on their machine and a lot of the code that was written is not compatible with our older version so that's why it's making GBS threads the bed. :shepicide:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

We have been working for over a year to make changes to our system. Extensive testing of pretty much every function our custom software does. A couple months ago it was decided that we were going to containerize our data for added security so they copied all of our DBs into new instances and we tested there, though very limited compared to what we've been doing. Mostly just "hey go and see if this screen works, maybe do some updating or adding of data." Our team bangs this out. Then a couple of weeks ago "Oops we hosed up, can you go retest all the screens again?" gently caress. Whatever, it isn't hard and that's what I get paid to do. This time we do the whole thing in one goddamn day. A tester working in a different environment was doing much more extensive testing and logging an absolute shitton of bugs because we have contracted with a company to do the coding for us. We were supposed to go live on the 8th but it was decided after much hemming and hawing that we would delay it for a week because they still had 40 open bug tickets. Probably a good thing, since we were originally going to go live April 1st (lol) and I took the week of the 8th off to go see the eclipse so I wouldn't have been around to help with tickets and troubleshooting. The system went live over the weekend, and everyone logged on Monday to start working.

It was a loving. Disaster. Every kind of ticket from "I can't log in" to "the system is eating data" to "our system can no longer do basic math." What's worse is our users have one system to log tickets, and we use Jira so we have to take the ticket from the user, contact them and go through all their steps, then copy all that poo poo over into a Jira ticket. So basically double the work. I verbally mentioned to my team that I didn't know how this could've happened. Like, we didn't test everything but I think we would have noticed things like "when you update a client's address it disappears." Surely something got hosed up along the way. At about 3pm today my boss calls us all into his office, shuts the door and tells us that the reason we're having so many problems is because the loving contractor had a newer, different version of Java installed on their machine and a lot of the code that was written is not compatible with our older version so that's why it's making GBS threads the bed. :shepicide:

lol, lmao. loving Java, not even once.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

At about 3pm today my boss calls us all into his office, shuts the door and tells us that the reason we're having so many problems is because the loving contractor had a newer, different version of Java installed on their machine and a lot of the code that was written is not compatible with our older version so that's why it's making GBS threads the bed. :shepicide:

lol at the flashbacks I had reading this. Glad I don't live that life anymore.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Krustic posted:

The book "bullshit jobs" talks about this subclass of bullshit job. It sounds perfect on the surface, but it eventually drives people completely insane because you feel like you have no purpose

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Thesaurus posted:

The book "bullshit jobs" talks about this subclass of bullshit job. It sounds perfect on the surface, but it eventually drives people completely insane because you feel like you have no purpose

I read a really striking article about the months and years after the Taliban took back control of Afghanistan 2021. Men who spent their adult lives being rebel fighters in the mountains suddenly got cushy desk jobs in the new government. The entire article is about how miserable they were doing laptop jobs instead of fighting a guerrilla war against the US.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Thesaurus posted:

that's when you get another remote job and double dip

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
E: ^^^ or that

Krustic posted:

If you're doing nothing for 8 hours a day can you enroll in a course and get paid to pick up an advanced degree?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

wash bucket posted:

I read a really striking article about the months and years after the Taliban took back control of Afghanistan 2021. Men who spent their adult lives being rebel fighters in the mountains suddenly got cushy desk jobs in the new government. The entire article is about how miserable they were doing laptop jobs instead of fighting a guerrilla war against the US.
I've read that one too. Absolutely worth a read.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Lmao

https://x.com/metakuna/status/1622034270129618944

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Jaguars! posted:

I've read that one too. Absolutely worth a read.

Welcome to the resistance. The other resistance.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

20 Blunts posted:

This was my schedule back when I was a board op for a tv station, that poo poo ruled so hard.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Thesaurus posted:

My purpose at a job like that would be posting to every thread on SomethingAwful.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
The sweet spot is a hybrid job where there's only really 10-20 hours of work per week, and you go into the office to do it, then when you work from home, just do hobby guerrilla stuff.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 18, 2024