Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ArbitraryC posted:

If someone called it’s something important already, that’s why they called. A VM just wastes time because you’ll need to call me anyways.

Just because it's important doesn't mean it's more important than what I'm doing. If you don't leave a voice mail (even just "it's about task XYZ") then unless you're my boss, you're not even on the priority list. It's not spite, it's time management: if I interrupt my flow for something trivial I might not finish something by end of day that I otherwise would have.

I kind of want to know what field you're in because in my experience and that of literally everyone I know (I c/ped your post into the group discord :v:) the attitude is "if you can't be bothered to leave a message, it's not important enough to interrupt what I'm doing." But we're all devs or dev adjacent.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SkyeAuroline posted:

Password field that isn't exact-match sensitive.

I think that stands on its own without explanation.

What's the demi-password protecting?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Batterypowered7 posted:

I got caught off-guard yesterday during a meeting.

Them: "How long does it normally take you guys to finish a database build once we release the server to you? One week? Two?"

Me: [internally] "The last two took me like an hour a piece. What the gently caress has the rest of my team (that I joined in January) told them before?"

I hate that poo poo. You have to play a guessing game where being wrong one way makes you look like a moron, but being wrong the other way makes your boss look like a moron.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Steakandchips posted:

Why do people, like Bailey, think it's appropriate to speak this way in the office?

(you did the right thing getting him back, not trying to cast stones at you)

They don't; they just think there's nothing you can do about it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

interwhat posted:

..., and going to companies that are switching to a quality of life model, and when your car breaks, its gonna be broken for MONTHS.

What does this mean

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bondematt posted:

You missed the most important part of the sentence, "Techs are FLEEING dealerships...".

There's no left to fix your car, it's gonna sit there for a while until they get someone to come around trained to fix it. And it's not just losing bodies, it's losing techs that know how to do specific tasks with specific equipment.

I got the fleeing part, it's just "switching to a quality of life model" is such an odd way to phrase "paying a living wage" or whatever that I wondered if it had a particular meaning in industry.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Queen Victorian posted:

I actually read an article about this effect a few years ago (but for the life of me can't find it - I know XP inside and out but can't Google for poo poo), where it discussed how people who came of age between the 80's and early 00's (so basically after home computers became more mainstream but before smartphones and social media) are the generation of the most competent computer users and that because of modern UIs abstracting away the need to actually know anything about how a computer works, the adage of "young people are just better at technology" stopped being true and that being a "digital native" actually does not mean magically being good at computers, but merely being good at navigating smartphone interfaces etc. while not understanding any of the underlying technology.

I think it's also partly that Android, iOS, game consoles, etc just straight up don't have built in ways to do things you used to have to do at least occasionally with a PC. If a PC game crashes you can monkey with config files, check system logs, or kill process that have files locked. With an Xbox you can restart and... that's pretty much it.

I don't think young people will ever be as technologically illiterate as old people, though, because they grew up with google as an extension of their consciousness. Just having the habit of googling an error message puts you on the good half of the bell curve.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Powered Descent posted:

Eh, there IS an advantage to the kind of incidental, casual communication that comes from having everyone in the same place. It's a little hard to describe, but when everyone's remote, communication becomes a thing that's only done deliberately. When everyone's together, it's much easier to pick up a team's unwritten knowledge just by being present in the room.

Absolutely. I started a new job during the pandemic and it was agony trying to get info from people without being able to glance over and see who wasn't on the phone, or get a read on body language for if I was bothering them even though they were saying they had time for questions. Nope, I just have to send a message and wait. Every little thing takes ages.

Meanwhile, I've developed this aversion to being in my computer room because it feels like work. I don't have enough space for a dedicated work desk. :(

In general, I assume the people who seem genuinely angry at the idea of people wanting to be in the office are the folks who are forced to be in the office.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Scientastic posted:

I remember when I first encountered this: when we lived in America, and my supervisor told me that "we don't take holiday over Christmas here, you need to take your holiday in Summer"

I told him that I had relatives coming to visit, and I was not going to come to work regardless of when he thought I should take my holiday. I didn't last much longer in that lab.

Lol what an rear end in a top hat. It's bad enough to jerk people around over arbitrary vacations, but loving with the holy days of the nation's majority religion seems like a really effective way to guarantee you'll eventually get sued.

Also, when did this get sprung on you? Was it, like, the first time you asked about PTO after being hired, or did he wait until December to spring it on you?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I had to test some web app bullshit that got deployed and all my test certs either redirect me somewhere dumb or give an error. I ask the lead guy what to do, and he tells me to talk to [other dev] to learn how to debug this issue. My dude, I didn't know I HAD an issue; I thought I'd just been given the wrong certs again. So I email [other dev] asking what to do and he ignores my email and loops in like four more devs. Now they're all arguing via reply all. No one will acknowledge my interjections, so I've stopped interjecting. :silent:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh for sure, or knowing what keywords to google. Nearly any conceivable request involving Excel has probably been refined and figured out a decade ago.

Holy moly, currently sitting through a meeting a manager watching them slowly fill out forms. Learned that they do not know how to spell the name of their own department.

At my first job out of college I worked on some software that, among other things, generated reports and let users muck with the data that feeds those reports. A bunch of stuff had names like "quarterly maintenance costs." A coworker managed to copy paste the same typo a bunch of times so I spent years stumbling on places where some rarely seen dialog in one of like six apps would show a message containing "quatterly."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mamkute posted:

I'm expected to switch to short-sleeved shirt on Friday. It's still snowing outside.

Time to get sleeve tattoos so they let you wear long sleeves.

VVV or that guy in one of my classes in college who wore multiple polo shirts at once, all with popped collars

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 8, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Outrail posted:

I guess having a bus factor of one is fine as long as you're the one who gets hit by the bus.

Oddly enough this resembles my retirement plan.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

gleebster posted:

Don't worry. I don't know how inversion of control relates to dependency injection, either.

Dependency injection is a form of inversion of control. It's squares and rectangles.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Replace his heart pills with vitamins.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

evilpicard posted:

It must own living in a country with so many anti-worker laws that people commonly mix them up

It's less the number than the decades of Republicans passing laws with Orwellian names. We're so used to laws named The Protect Children Act that literally grind toddlers into fuel for yachts that people reflexively associate "right to work" with the law that makes it easy to fire you.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cum stains in carpet turn brown, for what it's worth.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Stoatbringer posted:

How long does this take?

No idea. The extent of my experience is having once been a teenager, and having discovered wayward kleenex lodged in stupid places.

Blood--at least if it's a substantial amount--eventually turns black-brown after passing through green.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Why are business people so averse to talking about bad things with appropriate language?

All social groups have "in-group signals" that serve to reinforce mutual connections. Norms and turns of phrase become rituals that can seem strange to outsiders, but collectively form a social glue. This is doubly true if those signals perform double duty as intruder repellent, like goon in jokes and unwritten rules.

Management is its own social circle apart from workers. This is by design. Thus they have their own dialect and norms. They literally are using appropriate language. Sometimes the deliberate cultural barrier between workers and managers gets in the way of managing. But that's less of a problem than managers being able to relate to and potentially develop solidarity with their reports.

Edit: the post above mine is true as well. There's multiple factors contributing to the...way business people are.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Outrail posted:

On the other hand if you wait another three months you'll be defacto CEO of a failing company with no employees. Stick it out!

I just got out of a job that was as much of a mess albeit with minimal turnover and sticking around was a mistake. It turns out executive function is like a muscle, and spending a year doing basically nothing hosed up my ability to actually do a job.

Also:

blatman posted:

when you're the last employee standing, take the break room furniture

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 28, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

The owner is still around even though he is retired. He came in last week and ranted about the evils of birth control, condoms in particular.

Sometimes a red flag is just a red flag. :buddy:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Evilreaver posted:

I work as a hearing reporter for the courts with small case judges, and this talk reminds me of one time where I had a perfectly normal hearing, guy comes into the room, argues his case before the judge, hearing concludes without issue, and as I'm wrapping up with the paperwork the security guard comes in and says "oh that guy was super high risk I was supposed to be in the room with you whoops sorry about that"

Haha good times, we have good times here

:dogstare: Does high risk mean he'd previously been violent in hearings, or just that the hearing was for something violent?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Anyone who's not already in the field is only gonna recognize the styles with advertising behind them. It's like how non audio nerds only know about, like, Beats, Bose, and airpods.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Outrail posted:

well, yeah fair point.

If the business is that bad and toxic it'd be better to have everyone quit at once and absolutely tank the company so it goes under and no-one else will be hurt when they keep hiring one employee after another as it death spirals over the next year or two.

The other possibility is that could be the final straw that prompts the firing of the major cause of problems, but seems unlikely at this point.

The third possibility is one of the trickle of employees who quit gets replaced by another violent nut, and the problems solve each other. :v:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Elephant Ambush posted:

Skipping a useless meeting for a nap isn't the issue, it's being dumb enough to tell all your coworkers that you skipped a meeting for a nap

Yeah, even if it's totally legit to do, napping on the job is frowned on, especially by people who couldn't. The way I'd navigate that, assuming it wasn't clearly a fuckup on my part, would probably be something like "my understanding was my input wasn't needed. Did that change?" Shift the conversation to whether I should have attended rather than why I didn't.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Refried Noodle posted:

Oh yeah when I 'nap' I never actually sleep. For me, i get the same effect just lying down in a dark room with eyes closed for 20 min. Doesn't sound great if you're unable to stop worrying though.

You know how there's different stages of sleep, like REM, where dreaming occurs? The first couple are shallow enough for some people that you can not know you're asleep. If the duration is short enough, you may never get into the deeper stages where being woken up feels different from, like, "I was deep in thought and now I'm not." It's weird.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cthulu Carl posted:

Because the team that puts together the image we put on our PCs seems to refuse to do any QA (so basic things like the VPN, or even the ability to install software stop working), we've had to start finding new and interesting pieces of software to help us unfuck things.

Yesterday, my boss got an email from Information Security demanding an explanation for why we were using one of these new and interesting pieces of software. Maybe the 'dialogue' my boss opened as he grinned evilly while typing a reply will get the responsible team to start being responsible. Or maybe we'll get a bunch of rights revoked and won't be able to unfuck out computers anymore. Either way, it'll make less work for us.

Yeah I've run into this, except the software they objected to was the IDE I needed to do my job for a government contract. Eventually my boss crashed through the ceiling of the Info Sec office to carve "WE ARE CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED TO USE THIS SOFTWARE" into their skulls with a flaming sword. In the mean time: shadow IT.

My prescriptions have gotten three times as expensive since I started my latest job. Except the actually expensive one, which is now 2/3 less. I come out ahead by like sixty bucks a month, but what the hell.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 10, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Super Waffle posted:

Dumb thing my work does: block Something Awful!

Dumber thing my work does: full admin rights on my laptop allowing my to install a VPN so I can post on company time!

My last job blocked SA and imgur but not Reddit, all videogame stuff but not sports. It made it really easy to figure out what the executives liked to do.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

naem posted:

when a company I worked for was acquired, my former boss was promoted sideways and I had a new direct manager.

former boss and I got along well and there was a ton of work integrating an active business into a bigger org and the best way to do that was to talk regularly as our work overlapped. we’d text on skype or teams etc and get quick answers or share info. you know, like coworkers.

new boss (who was in another state) suddenly forbade us to speak. like, no texting about work on work pc’s on teams.

we had to text on our phones secretly

Did new boss actually check if you were communicating? Or offer an explanation for this?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Escape From Noise posted:

... Boner Beer. WTF?

Think of it as counteracting whiskey dick

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slam his dick on the table. :black101:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Motronic posted:

I can tell you've been slacking on licking doorknobs.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Scientastic posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh, this is the worst. We are making record profits, but morale is really low, and leadership keep having meetings to find out why. I felt like everyone else in the meeting was insane, they kept going on about time management and task prioritisation, and they looked at me like I’d just shat on the table when I said “backfill all the vacant roles”

When this happens, it's a sign they don't WANT to fix the problem. You said it yourself: the company is making record profits. But they need to go through the motions (and document it) to minimize blowback when the chickens come home to roost. And potentially to not feel like monsters.

You basically pointed out that the emperor is naked in a room full of invisible clothing salespeople.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SubponticatePoster posted:

We have separate sick and annual leave, and people keep asking why we can't combine them :psyduck: I want to know what the gently caress is wrong with these people. Plus you accrue more annual leave the longer you stick around. Baseline is 4 hrs vacation, then you get 5 at 5 years, 6 at 10. They decided to bypass 15 years for some reason, at 20 you get 7 hours per pay period, almost a full day every two weeks. Sick leave is just 4 hours a pay period forever. Do these idiots want less time off?

I used to work at a place where they merged sick and vacation. Then they lowered the cap on banked PTO, and made it so when you hit that cap, days just stopped accruing. You had to manually schedule a cash-out, which you can only do once a quarter. They were obviously hoping people would neglect to do that and just lose days, but managers were so pissed they set up outlook reminders and stuff to make sure their teams got what they were entitled to. The whole thing is so slimy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Computer viking posted:

I thought he also mentioned "adding more people to a late project can make it later, because getting the new hires up to speed takes more time and work than you think"?

Yes. This is the point of the title: it takes a month of man-hours before a new member is a net gain in productivity because not only will they not be up to speed, they'll be taking someone else's time with questions.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Konar posted:

Who the hell made "Paste with source formatting" the default? That poo poo sucks, what kind of fake rear end email job wants that as the default copy/paste action. Default should be paste as plain text

Office workers generally don't want it either. There's a thing in MS power tools that lets you set up a key combo for formatting-free paste. I have mine set to Ctrl+Win+V.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lazyfire posted:

I worked for a company years ago that you could simply log in to the internet without being on the VPN, which was great because back in those days I was on the road constantly and just wanted to watch YouTube and Netflix at night, but also meant that forbidden downloads were possible, so once I realized that I had Chrome and a bunch of Excel plugins that made my life easier. Can't do that with my current company, VPN has to connect before I can access the internet. Very annoying.

If you ever find yourself in this position again, install VirtualBox or set up MS Hyper-V and create a Windows VM. Install the VPN software inside. Do all your work stuff in the VM, while still having a fully-functional computer outside.

I had to do this for a previous job at a government contractor because the customer were control freaks who somehow set up the VPN they required to connect to the backend stuff I needed to work with in a way that broke Teams and Outlook, not to mention not being able to get on my employer's VPN to be able to access network resources. VM shenanigans were the only way to do my job.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Collateral Damage posted:

About 6 years ago I interviewed for a contracting gig where they were looking for a project lead. The interviewers straight up told me the project was already doomed and I just had to be there to take the blame when they fail to meet the hard deadline in 6 months. :v:

They didn't offer enough for me to be a scapegoat.

Why would they admit this? :psylon: