Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Cowman posted:

I was part of about 100 or so layoffs that day. I'm in TN where there's basically no labor protections so I can't prove that it was because of those reasons. I'm just assuming because I was one of the founding members of the team and did my job well. I got a poo poo severance package too, but at least I got one. The "official" reason is budget cuts and financial problems (which is true, the company is bombing financially and getting bought out) but their choice of who to layoff is super suspicious.

I fully believe my husband was put on the list of layoffs because I’d had a miscarriage a month prior. They really poo poo on him when they fired him and cited performance issues that he’d never heard about until that day — my guess is to cover up that he was just one of many being laid off and that they didn’t like the idea of an employee with obligations outside of work (i.e., a child). I didn’t want him to tell his boss I was pregnant because the work environment was so toxic, but I needed him to stay home with me when it happened, and he didn’t think they’d give him the day off if he didn’t say why.

I wish we could have had any legal recourse, but there was nothing to do about it. Sorry you’re having to deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Chewbecca posted:

:chloe:

Back onto topic - how many people here have worked with friends (as in, you were friends before you worked together), and how did that work out?

My friend from grad school and I were first-year teachers at the same high school. It was great having someone dealing with the same problems as me. Obviously we didn’t actually “work” together since we taught our own classes, although we had a few students who had her English class one year and then mine the next, so we shared insights about them with each other. We never had any conflict between us.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Shoehead posted:

It literally sounds like Charlie Brown's parents talking to you, it sucks rear end.

This is how I used to describe it! Thankfully it doesn’t happen to me anymore, but when I used to teach high school pre-diagnosis, I thought I had hearing loss and told my students that on the first day of class. Then I realized it only really happened when I was stressed out (which is all the time when you teach), trying to do something but being interrupted by a student needing something, and fighting to hear them over the background noise of the rest of the class (like when they were doing group work, for example).