Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

God I loving love working for a government agency, I've never had to do that bullshit fake rear end pretending to be happy about our jobs, also none of this conference dance bullshit. Boss sets up meeting every two weeks to a month just to catch up and update us on policy and regulation changes then we're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Like everything I hear about working in a regular office is nightmare inducing

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

wooger posted:

Granted that it’s on your employer to provide such equipment, but the productivity falloff from not having dual screens and real peripherals is too great in many jobs.

Not being able to see a programming IDE & browser & terminal at once is a painfully slow alt-tab fest, and the lack of work would be noticeable.

There’s also a good chance you’ll mess up your back / neck / wrists from working on a couch on a laptop.

What's crazy is a lot people viewed having two screens as a luxury you have to beg and plead for at my agency or it was a perk only the higher ups could benefit from, my first week working here I called IT and requested another monitor. Within the day some dude came and installed it and people were astounded that I got one. Never occurred to them to even request one in the first place.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Tarkus posted:

I think it comes from the fact that monitors used to be really expensive so people perceive extra ones to be superfluous or super costly. How much is a standard 1080p 24" monitor these days? 200 bucks or so?

Makes sense because a lot of New York City government agencies have a ton of old people looking to retire and have a super hard time adjusting to change, 24 inch monitors retail for around $80-$100, but usually these agencies get their equipment from bulk contracts so they, most of the time, have a surplus of computer accessories and components.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I remember asking the IT dude passing by one day if they had a 100 foot cat 6 cable in his mobile cart, just threw it my way without even blinking.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

That's why I super loved NYC banning pre-employment drug tests for a majority of workers. It made no sense to be tested for weed if it made no bearing on my ability to do my job.

https://twitter.com/NYCCHR/status/1259944212340056065

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Screening for weed for any boring office job is hilarious and stupid.
Even the federal government is like, "You're just plugging numbers in to Excel. Don't come to work high and don't bring it with you and you'll be fine."

Hell, the last job I applied for specifically said they don't drug test without cause (in fed parlance that means they won't do it randomly, only if someone suspects you're hosed up at work) and that was for the IRS.

If you're not carrying a gun, operating heavy machinery or an extremely public job, they don't care anymore.

Yeah the last government agency I worked for didn't test the regular call center shlubs but did for the emergency response crews.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

What else are people supposed to use? Oracle Siebel? LOL

Oh gently caress siebel.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

My agency announced we're opening next month and only working one day a week at the office, I just super hope they make it a standard thing to work some days in and out of office.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Mine is saying we'll probably go to 2-3 days in the office but maybe we get to choose which ones??

There are load of people with non-traditional schedules so them saying we can WFH every Friday is not going to benefit 25% of the workforce.

Yeah that was a big concern that was addressed on their announcement, they made it pretty clear people can request different days as long as it kept the office not full and everybody is distanced from everybody else, also today they said we can request staggered schedules so we can avoid crowded public transport, 7am through 11am. Which is fine by me, I might take advantage of coming in early to leave early

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That's a good point. I think NYC has been rushing to get city workers back in their offices as commercial real estate is a massive part of their tax base along with hundreds of thousands of commuters spending money during the day. Makes sense if you're running the city and need that revenue to not massively slash the budget, but the feelings of workers who would prefer to be at home doesn't seem to be a consideration.

This is true, I know friends in other agencies and my father works for a related agency to mine and literally everybody is like "We can do our jobs reasonably well and productively why the gently caress are we going back". My direct supervisors have been pretty honest in the fact that we've been pretty productive and there's a slight tick compared to working in the office but they're still trying to get everybody back. I spoke to a union rep about this and she confirmed that other agencies have already started forcing people to come to work at regular capacity. People are rightfully bringing this up to higher ups and the union that we should at least do 2 to 3 days in home.

Since the pandemic hit its forced a lot of agencies that have been stuck in the early 2000s to finally upgrade their systems at least early 2010s. Like my agency when I got hired late 2019 we were still processing cases by paper. So we'd have these big rear end binders of documents of participants that have been with us for decades. The second we were stuck at home the agency had to start forcing the participants to submit everything by email or online. This poo poo should've been standard practice for 10 years now. Its still a grossly inefficient system but it got a little better because of covid.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Just this March they've finally introduced a digital filing system that should have been available 5-10 years ago

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

thathonkey posted:

remote work and a 4-day work week. these are my demands.

Seriously, that'd be the loving best

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

kntfkr posted:

I was excited to be making two paychecks at the same time but my on-site job, which in no way needs to be on-site, just started hassling me for having my other company's laptop out during the day.

I need the paycheck but I can't tolerate this. Going to apply to every fully remote consumer packaged good / import export job I can find starting right now. I'm done. Hope I find something new soon. gently caress this

I remember that moment, that moment where you've finally resolved yourself to get the gently caress out.

I was a computer technician and finished a pretty big repair, replaced the mother and hard drive for a stupid old computer. Notified the customer multiple times and specifically noted down my attempts to get this dumbass lady's property out of my life. Like 5 months later she comes in complaining nobody contacted her, manager hears her out and decides to refund her the whole loving thing, parts and labor came out to around 450 or so. All that work and money and the poo poo head just lets her walk out of the store with a basically brand new old computer.

From that day onward I made up my mind that I will never work in a customer service capacity for the rest of my life.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I received an offer for an internal promotion. Great news, right? It absolutely is! Only I can't sign any of the offer documentation because they sent it via Adobe Sign and apparently I don't have access to Adobe sign. I called IT, and it took 20 minutes to for them to figure this out. They gave me a form to request access, which may take up to seven(!) Business days to fulfill. :doh:

If your able to email it, send it to your phone or personal computer and sign it there

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

September 13th the whole office starts back. I loving hate this so much

quote:

As we embark on this next phase of return together, the Agency looks forward to welcoming everyone back in person and to working together to continue to keep each other safe.    

"As we embark"? What the gently caress?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

And they got a real big cash injection https://techcrunch.com/2021/11/30/better-com-gets-750m-cash-infusion-in-new-agreement-with-its-spac-backers/

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Escape From Noise posted:

Hey, everyone! It's okay! Bezos cares!

He's sending thoughts and prayers!

Surely some thoughts and prayers from the richest man on the planet means more than regular common folk thoughts and prayers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Everett False posted:

I assume there are some goons in here who know a thing or two about unions. We've got a contract we just finished negotiating, all it needs is to get voted through and we're good. If a union member is having conversations with management that are undermining the negotiation we already finished having, and essentially arguing that management shouldn't accept the contract... is that anything. Should I be warning our union rep that this is a thing that's happening. It feels like this is not a thing that should happen, but I don't actually know!

You are correct