Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Make a slide that says “Nothing.” with the presenter notes saying “Stare at the camera for 10 minutes.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

“…We are a data driven organization and can't rely on intuition or feelings for these things". Right after he said that the manager who is leaving raised his hand and says, "What KPIs did you use to mandate a forced return to office?".

Absolute legend, I will miss him.

:drat:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Always get things in writing, especially hard dates and numbers. It might not help you in the end if they really don’t want to honor it, but at least you have documentation for the lawyer.

https://x.com/NotSoLittleC/status/1755705709667180594?s=20

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Can’t get phished if you just dump all email into the trash

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
When I got laid off along with 2000+ people, they just told everyone to keep their laptops. They did a remote wipe and then it was free and clear. I guess they didn’t want to bother with the logistics of getting them all back, whether it be hounding people to return them or how to then resell or reuse them. Easier to write it off.

Now I have a Macbook M1 Max with 64 GB that can poo poo post extremely well!!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
He was Jeffrey Toobin' it

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Killingyouguy! posted:

My boss messages me to describe the normal, expected behaviour of my software and then follows up with "just something I noticed." what, that it works? You wouldn't be messaging me if you didn't think it's a problem, and you think it's a problem because you don't understand what our software does

my team lead never reads my pull requests.

one afternoon he drops a zoom link in my chat, I jump in, and it’s all the team leads and managers and he’s asking me to explain the app & code to everyone on no notice.

he “wanted to give me credit for my work” which is bullshit, he just didn’t know what it was. if it was true, he’d have given me more heads up than a meeting invite at 2:13 pm

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://x.com/theashleyray/status/1776340749535301928

https://x.com/theashleyray/status/1776341712258093064

love to read a story with a good ending

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Poster boards are probably for the 4-H crowd doing displays at the county fair.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

WebDO posted:

Don't forget the job creation!

There's the companies to whom you outsource claims, ask them to adjudicate fairly, and pay them for every claim denied

Or the people that have no surgical training that make an extra buck deciding if you really need the surgery being recommended

Or the morticians

don’t forget the funeral home owners who just let the bodies rot

https://t.co/PlU5aitswL

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
tried that with ‘jq’, a tool that helps you parse, filter, and aggregate JSON with Copilot. Wanted to learn how to do a simple add with a group by. The first 8 suggestions didn’t work. Most errored, some gave bad numbers.

Google + Stackoverflow got it right on the first try.

edit: yeah, this

https://x.com/fordoglunk/status/1780267111027286111

Nybble fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 16, 2024

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

The sweet spot is a hybrid job where there's only really 10-20 hours of work per week, and you go into the office to do it, then when you work from home, just do hobby guerrilla stuff.

Play Helldivers on the days home, then it qualifies as both.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Sounds like it would be a good training then

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Archive All is your friend in personal life and at work

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I join the zoom call when i get the 10 minute notification, go to full mute/no camera and don’t respond until it starts. I’d forget to join until 5 minutes later otherwise

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I was in a contractor role and started looking around when I found some mail that showed they hadn't paid the electric bill for the office. Then my contracting firm said they hadn't paid in 90 days and were about to pull me from the contract soon. Fortunately I found something quickly so I was never without a paycheck.

Ran into one of the employees there a few months later at a soccer game, they lost the office but were happy to work from a coffee place once a week!!

--

Anyway, I only give it 2 days leeway as long as there's a very vocal "the paychecks are coming, they are late due to X reason that isn't our fault*" before the paychecks are supposed to hit the bank account. If it doesn't hit on time, I'm not coming in.

*it's always their fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I'm sure the guy was equal parts nice and shocked, so they just figured they might as well do it anyway

but I'd milton and setting the building on fire