Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Are we sure we don't all work at the same place

Edit: I don't THINK we do that thing you said with engineering drawings, but I don't know for sure tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

A CRAB IRL posted:

Lol this smells like WorkDay to me

That, or SAP.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

CuwiKhons posted:

I also work for a government agency but unfortunately I work for one that has to be staffed 24/7 and I work the midnight shift (I'm a night owl and it pays better anyway). All mandatory training seminars are held in the early afternoons. We are not exempt from them. They're also refusing to do them as teleconferences right now. We have to actually show up and sit in a staff room for 4 hours while we get lectured about Diversity and Implicit Bias and what YOU can do to make sure it doesn't affect your work!

Hopefully everyone is wearing a mask!

I am so sorry for what must be an unimaginable stress level in these trying times

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DickParasite posted:

ding ding ding!

Ahhh, SAP. *stares wistfully and/or traumatically into the middle distance*

Tickets with SAP Support for what should have been critical issues dragged on for 6 months or longer; it's a good thing I was clever and/or stupid enough to come up with workarounds. It got to the point where I began to lose track of what our process truly was, and what parts of our workflow were workarounds and/or steps that were literally relying on known bugs/flaws/issues with SAP that would throw the entire office into chaos if we ever applied a patch to (finally) correct them.

You can make a lot of money if you know SAP, but goddamn if SAP doesn't make you earn every loving dollar.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

explosivo posted:

I applied for a new job internally today because I'm sick of the dumb poo poo my boss does and would happily dump the poo poo off on him that only I knew how to do. I hate that time between sending in the application and waiting for my boss to find out that I did :ohdear:

drat, nice! I can't apply to anything internally without my boss approving it.

Well, I can, but when the hiring manager calls my current one and is like "hey about your dude" and the response is "my dude did WHAT now!?" . . . I am PROBABLY not getting that job, and I'm sure some remark would be in my record forever.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Charles Bukowski posted:

At my last job I recall one of my coworkers applying for a transfer to one of the downtown offices. Our boss spiked his reference when the downtown boss called him up about the transfer. He didn't want to be bothered asking HQ to send us a replacement if my coworker got the transfer approved :/

That same boss got hired by the company we were contracted to. His income immediately doubled and then he had myself and another coworker removed from the site, and then dismissed from the company. The bad guys win.

Something similar happened to my brother. "We told the local government that we'd maintain a certain headcount here; I can't let you go because we're in a hiring freeze right now."

A couple calls to recruiters and a month later, he was outta there for a place that offered him a 50% bump.

Seriously, what does management THINK is going to happen if they say something like that? smh

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Queen Victorian posted:

I’ve been out of my old bad job (where I actually would get excessively scrutinized on a weekly basis and side-eyed whenever I (very infrequently) requested WFH for reasons like taking delivery of a mattress) for almost a year and a half, and I still get anxious before weekly meetings (and quarterly reviews) at my new job even though my new job has been overall very happy with my performance and keeps giving me raises and poo poo. It’s a deep-seated fear that’s very hard to shake.

This, 1000%.

I had a boss once where even though every single weekly meeting was great, come year-end review, I "didn't do enough" and "maybe should manage my time better". Like, we met every week on what I was doing, progress, roadblocks, etc. HOW!!?!?!

That's long in the past, but I still get anxious for 1:1 meetings still because of all of that.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lazyfire posted:

My company moved to Office 365 a few weeks back and just started encouraging people use Microsoft Planner to set up action items, road maps and what not.

From 9 to 1 today I got 500 emails because someone sent out a test message from a Planner group and used the all Business Unit distribution. Somehow every response to the email was sent to the distribution, even if you didn't hit the reply all option. The first few responses were "received" or whatever and others were "I don't know why I'm on this list." It quickly devolved into 40 point bold font "STOP HITTING REPLY ALL!" and people admonishing everyone for their bad email etiquette and then some people just complaining everyone was flooding their inboxes.

This is amazing because I believe Outlook on O365 has a "step out of conversation" button specifically to be able to remove yourself from this sort of Reply All hell.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DrBouvenstein posted:

We have a 18 month retention policy on emails (a few exceptions for some shared mailboxes/folders and a few people, mostly in legal or C-level) and boy oh boy the complaints.

Like....if that old email is so important, why do you have it just "hanging around" your inbox? Move it to another folder*, save it outside of Outlook, move the contents to OneNote, loving literally anything else other than "use Inbox as a filing cabinet."

*This may or may not work, but often retention policies only apply to the default folders, so Inbox (and any sub folders under inbox,) sent, and deleted items. But you can make a folder that's in your mailbox but NOT a sub-folder of the inbox, and it might not get deleted as part of the retention policy.

But again, depends on how it's config'd, honestly, just save them out or copy the contents to a different document if they're so important.

Where I'm at, retention applies to everything.

However, the "if the email was so important, why didn't you file it" is pretty bullshit imo. I don't have time to painstakingly file every single email; I might be lucky if it gets into a folder at all, to be honest. There's a search function for a reason. I don't know how often people have asked me "oh do you remember that thing about ______________, I think it's happening again" and I can just search my email and see if I have some info about that topic. Sometimes all I've got is "Hmm, I have a record of that thing happening, and it looks like I got run around a bunch before someone finally connected me with Bo Jangles; I think he was the one that took care of it." Without that, we would have to start back at square 1 and do the whole Bureaucratic Runaround again. Yeah, in hindsight, that email to Bo Jangles was important, but in the moment it didn't seem so (because we thought we had taken care of the issue permanently).

This is especially true of stuff that doesn't happen very often. Annual processes are bad enough to find documentation for; one-off stuff that only seems to happen once every few years are even worse.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Thanatosian posted:

Everyone hates IT because we hate retention periods, but then everyone hates legal when you have to go through 37 years of records on a subpoena because you retained everything instead of clearing it out occasionally.

Yeah, it is definitely driven by legal.

I've tried suggesting that maybe we can have infinite retention periods if everyone is on their best behavior and promises not to do anything illegal, but then they laugh at me and tell me to delete my files per the guidelines :sigh:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pekinduck posted:

Here ya go! from "Graveyard Grandma" who sadly doesn't seem to be active anymore

https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

What a fantastic read! I hope, for his sake, that all of that was actually real and not just a work of fiction, because that rules.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pinus Porcus posted:

Does your agency do that thing where if budget isn't spent in the fiscal year/biennium whatever, your budget is subsequently cut afterward? Therefore the dude who cuts corners budget wise fucks you when deferred maintenance projects rear their ugly head.

I don't know who came up with this design for a "budget", but holy poo poo is it the dumbest thing ever.

Our facility had some of the best tech available because at the end of the year they'd be like "gently caress, we need to spend our budget, quick, buy everyone a new monitor or something idk"

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Barudak posted:

I put in my notice and HR hasn't got back to me.

They also think Im going to give them more than the legally required amount so laffo.

"Legally required"? I'm guessing you're not in the US . . .

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Hah, salutations. A lot of people where I work don't even bother with them, and I don't think that's just because phone emailing is starting to take off.

I use them almost exclusively, but sometimes I feel like it makes me look like a dinosaur. I go to work to LARP a "professional who has his poo poo together" so I figure that's just part of the act :v:

Whoever upthread said that they were glad to have an office job "so they didn't have to pretend and be fake anymore" . . . Whoa. Buddy. I'm not sure where they're at that isn't Office Politics Olympics, but it sure sounds nice!

I guess I just make it a point to be seen as someone who can be nice to/can work with anyone. I'm on the fence on whether that works better than just aggressively pursuing my own personal goals and being slow to help other people with their poo poo, but something about that approach feels scummy to me. :shrug:

Zarin fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 15, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

mindstorm posted:

Seriously though this poo poo sucks. I've tried to get people to engage with me more over MS Teams chat because it wastes the least amount of time with person-to-person communications. Emails always end up becoming formal letters. Phone calls get filled with endless derailing chitchat.

I try and keep a personal rule that "an email means you can answer this at your discretion; an IM means I need an answer now please kthx"

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Tarkus posted:

One thing I hate is when people make their email signature a page long like putting announcements for deals and stuff from their company along with 15 forms of contact. Some mail clients hide the signatures properly, some don't, so sometimes I have to see the see the same page of text over and over again as a scroll through a thread. Name, Company, position and 2-3 forms of contact at most is all that's needed. Oh and wildly varying colored text and fonts bug me too.

Yeah, mine is all plaintext with basically my contact info. I figure it's for if/when someone prints out an email and needs to get ahold of me about it or something.

It was much more common when I was working on/adjacent to the machine shop floor, and Grizzled Vietnam Vet needed to pick up the phone and ask me something about something I wrote (because lmao if he's gonna send an email; highly likely he didn't even have an email account tbh).

I guess that no-nonsense setup just stuck with me :shrug:

Edit: I was always amused by the people that had, like, Harley-Davidson logos and stuff in their email signature. WE AREN'T H-D, OR EVEN ASSOCIATED WITH THEM, WHAT ARE YOU DOOOOOOING. Somehow they never seemed to get in trouble for doing stuff like that, though. It always struck me as EXCEPTIONALLY unprofessional to use another company's logo in your (internal) emails, just wtf :psyduck: Yes, we get it, you like motorcycles. Chill brah.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 15, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

kntfkr posted:

Am I confusing you with someone else or aren't you from Long Island? How'd you get to Sweden?

An airplane, presumably.

Possibly a boat, but those are more rare these days.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Thread,

I'm either Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil, depending on if I'm asking for something or not.

Neat.

Regards,

Zarin

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Queen Victorian posted:

Did your work like run this guy/his resume by you or let you meet him before they hired him? Or was it just “here is your new colleague have fun”?

This happened at my old job - new guy added to team, which was not consulted about having this new guy added to it or introduced to said new guy before he started and he ended up being a hot-headed prick. Long story short I no longer work there.

Places do this?

I mean, every job I've ever had, I meet the hiring manager, but I only ever meet the rest of the team after it's a done deal.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Queen Victorian posted:

Eh, my perception is probably distorted because I’ve only worked at small companies. Previous job was like a 12-person company so poisoning the entire work environment with one lovely person was extremely easy to do, but also easy to prevent if you minimally involve a couple extra team members to screen for shittiness (which they didn’t do, of course). My new company is similarly small and much better at involving all relevant people in hiring and the result is a much more harmonious team with no assholes.

That's actually really cool!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Outrail posted:

My favourites interview questions just turn the standard bullshit back on them. It's a good reminder that you're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you and lets you know if you're just filling a hole or they really want you there. .

Why did my successor leave this position?

Why do you think I'd be a good fit for the organization?

Where do you see me in 5 years if I'm successful? (if they can't answer this or say 'doing the same job' it's a good sign to run away or assume you'll need an exit strategy in next 3 years)

Out of the last 5 people to have my position, how many quit?

What do you expect me to accomplish in the next 12 months? In the next 5 years?

That first one is hella forward-looking, don't you think? :v:

I like 2, 3, and 5 though. I'll have to keep these in mind!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lazyfire posted:

No, it's important to ask that. One of my predecessors left because she had a legit breakdown and couldn't do the job anymore and no one wanted to take over her responsibilities. I would have loved to know that before finding out how hosed I was.

Your original message asked why your successor left :ssh:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MA-Horus posted:

my company is global and does a lot of business in japan and germany.
holy gently caress do i get a giggle watching my anglo co-workers try to use japanese and german pre/suffixes/honorifics correctly.

do not, under any circumstances, use -kun when e-mailing a company vp. they do not find it kawaii

Once upon a time, a team adjacent to mine had a supervisor that INSISTED her people use Japanese honorifics when talking to somebody in Japan.

To me, the whole thing felt pretentious and fake. There was no training on how/when/why to use which ones, they were just trying their best based on the opening salutation from the person who sent the email. Luckily my supervisor had no such desire for banality so when they interacted with me, they used their email salutation and I used mine. Simple.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

AHH F/UGH posted:

For some reason my clock out didn't go through at 5PM today, so when I noticed at like 6:30PM, I got on slack and said "I'll get back to Sean on that last request. Have a great weekend all!" and used that as a sort of cover for why I just clocked out super late. I didn't screw up my timeclock you see, I was working and capped the day off right! Sent off a 2-line email and logged out.

If I'm feeling really fair and nice I'll clock out 90 minutes early on Monday to balance it out. Maybe. We'll see.

As someone who has routinely been working 10, 12 hour says since the pandemic started (lol I'm exempt so gently caress me I guess): gently caress 'em

Edit: This post should be in no way construed as proper career advice

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Elder Postsman posted:

Are you working at the place I worked from 2007 to 2014? They had the same poo poo. Also, gave me a "promotion" from tech to analyst that didn't change my responsibilities, but did move me from hourly to salary. But they also expected salaried workers to put in 45 hours a week, and at my old hourly rate, 40 + 5 hours OT would have made me almost the same as my new salary lmao

I posted about it before, but my last job had a 3 page document outlining rules for time tracking and billable vs unbillable time and I hated everything about it. If you're paying me hourly, with OT and everything, sure, I'll do that. But If I'm salaried, you're paying for my work, not necessarily my time, and all that time tracking bullshit can gently caress right off.

bUt ThEn HoW wIlL tHeY kNoW hOw MuCh To BiLl TeH cLiEnT

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

... Finances don't change just because you shift things around on the report, what are they even asking of you at that point? Doesn't make sense. Then again, thread relevant and all...

One would THINK that, yes.

Still, can't count how many times we've been asked to roll the numbers up differently, or put different cost basis items in different buckets, etc.

None of it triggers my "this is improper" spidey-sense, either. It's just that there is/can be a LOT of Professional Judgement into how things are reported, and depending on who (or what metrics) are involved, higher-ups will absolutely want to try and arrange things in a way that don't cause some VP somewhere to fly into an apoplectic rage.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Outrail posted:

FYI, if you don't know where a file should go you can save it in the parent folder. Never create additional folders or try to organise things. And if you're making multiple versions of a file just save them all together in the parent folder, but make sure to give them different filenames so you can't find the most current one. Honestly it doesn't even need to be the right folder just save poo poo wherever, someone will figure it out.

:shepicide:

Can I name them "FileName v1" "FileName v2" "FileName v3" or is that too avant-garde?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

Okay, I'm guilty of that one occasionally, but only if the original is never getting touched again because my boss insists on keeping old files together with the ones in use for Reasons.

Also:
OneDrive/Sharepoint is my nemesis and I wishbto see it burn.

I save everything to the C:\ drive in a folder structure while I'm working on it, then move it to SharePoint when it's ready to be shared with the group.

Those cloud spaces have grown on me, but I'm not 100% of the way there yet. There are still some networking/shared document kinks Microsoft needs to work out yet.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

Abolish Microsoft's cloud and make my life easier. Just fuckin' email me. Everything was smooth when I just emailed it in at the end of the week and anything that needed referencing on it got emailed back to me. I may be the only person in this thread who would rather people email me instead of talk to me or gently caress with shared files.

Nah, I hate a lot of the shared poo poo. The worst is people who drop files into Teams; I find it to be a pain to locate those files later if I needed. Especially if it was just a one-way share.

Just email me the drat file and I'll drag and drop it into the correct folder, geez.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DrBouvenstein posted:

And what if your local storage shits the bed before you had a chance to move it to the Sharepoint/OneDrive?

No system is perfect, but "everyone emails the actual file back and forth for weeks on end" method is the absolute worst.

I'm not suggesting emailing something back and forth for weeks on end; no, if it's that collaborative, then yeah it probably belongs in SharePoint. But if I'm asking for last month's sales report or whatever? Just send it, sharing it inline in a Teams conversation is the worst way to handle it.

OneDrive has a neat issue where even though I'm working on a file on my personal OneDrive and I have never shared either the file, or the folder, or any parent folders with anyone, sometimes I'll get a sync issue that says "cannot save file, a newer version is available on the cloud". No, no, I guarantee that the newer version is NOT available on the cloud because it is physically impossible for anyone else to have touched this file! Getting that error at a critical point in the closing process several months in a row was enough for me to decide I did not, in fact, want to work on things live in the cloud if I didn't have to.

Also there's the issue where one file I keep accessing somehow keeps resetting itself to "read only" and that about hosed up a close. Eventually I just synced everything to my Local OneDrive and then had to right click -> properties -> uncheck Read Only on my local copy.

Today, I do a lot of work with cloud files, but I still have to be careful because they can be buggy as gently caress.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Outrail posted:

Same, but no dashes.

You monster.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Inzombiac posted:

I do it without dashes. Once you get used to it, it's faster type and easy to parse.

This is not unique but every. single. time I ask my team "Hey fill out this thing and drop it in this file with the title LASTNAME YYMMDD" I get a half dozen knuckle draggers that upload it as something like "Filled Form FIRSTNAME".

I mean, yeah, if you specifically requested a naming convention and they violate it, then THEY are the monsters.

I just like my dashes for my own personal garbage :(

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

webmeister posted:

Argh gently caress, flashbacks to my last job which was mostly staffed and run by creative types. "Oh that file's on my desktop, hang on" <proceeds to minimise every window one-by-one, before spending 10 minutes carefully scrutinising every square inch of their desktop, covered in disused icons>

I was the only "data" person in the entire 30 person company, and definitely the only person with any real understanding of computers and how they operate. Which really sucks when people figure that out, and your IT support structure is entirely external. After 5 years there I'd finally managed to convince everyone to use version numbers, rather than "final final FINAL FINAL - updated FINAL (sent to client final)".

These days I'm self employed, so any file management or IT support fuckups are, well, mine

My favorite was when they would name something "part inspection instructions - NEW" and I was like "What happens when we need to change the file again?" "Hmm, I dunno!"

They named it "Part Inspection Instructions - NEW - NEW" :doh:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I hate that so much credit goes to hotshot self-aggrandizing fuckers who make a name for themselves rolling out a new system or something, but then after we start using it for awhile we realize it's a fuckin' dumpster fire and sucks.

Then I spend a year cleaning up - improving processes, streamlining workflow, etc. - but there's never any room for credit for that. It's not flashy, it's not fun, it doesn't get anyone's attention. And, to top it all off, Hotshot Fucklord was promoted two times since then in part because of "what a great job he did rolling out these projects".

gently caress.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

goatface posted:

That is basic management skills, get your name on the thing, get the project out the door, claim the credit, gently caress off before anyone realises it falls over if month ends on a Sunday.

It's like playing the stock markets. Pump and dump and hope you never get caught. The fact that you got the plaudits/money is proof that you are trustworthy.

Yeah . . . :sigh:

I just hate it, that's all.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

zedprime posted:

Is this the right place to declare my arch enemy is anyone who uses return characters to pad white space to keep things together instead of using page breaks and orphan controls.

Maybe I'm just the monster for using web view in Word on documents that are not meant to be and never will be printed but if I'm feeling beholden to page layout I would never resort to slamming the enter key till it looks right for this instance of time before someone writes "fart" 3 pages back and now an entire blank page of returns prints.

Web View is God's Own View because who the gently caress prints anything anymore?

I'm the same way - if I'm designing a document for printing (I'm probably not) then I'll use Print View and make it look like it's supposed to in the final form.

If I'm writing process documentation or something that is expected to forever and always be digital, then gently caress it, Web View it is! Now I can use images whatever size I want, etc. If some dinosaur wants to print it because they don't know how to use multiple monitors then, welp, too bad I guess.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Galewolf posted:

Turkish CVs are a wonder to sift through. People with selfies, people mentioning what political parties they voted for, people thinking that "walking" is a hobby, etc. The Turkish job market is so cutthroat and vile that employers can get away with "Only applicants from universities X Y and Z should apply" ads. As someone who had to hire engineers and technicians in my old job, it meant trying to sift through 8 pages of nonsense to find if they were able to operate a testing apparatus or check a box.

I realize this may be outside the scope of the thread, but I am suddenly intensely curious how and/or why the Turkish job market is like that!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Thesaurus posted:

Everyone in my office, constantly, that's who!

I am so sorry :(

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

AHH F/UGH posted:

Yeah my office prints a ton of poo poo. Sometimes it's just better to have something tangible in front of you.

Sometimes, sure! Maybe I was being a bit cheeky about printing - I've done it myself. Even printed a document out once (because they designed it to be printed). Eventually my replacement and I rewrote the document in OneNote so we could add more pictures, explanations, links to related steps, and make it searchable.

Certain things are still worth printing and pinning to the cubicle wall, though!

Galewolf posted:

Effortpost!

Holy poo poo that's fuckin' terrifying. Also fascinating, but mostly the first thing. Thank you for taking the time for the explainer. I'm sorry that our system served as the template for . . . that.

I'm glad it sounds like things are working out for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Outrail posted:

My new hire starts today, what dumb poo poo should I have her do to make her hate me as quickly as possible?

I don't think I can top the "forward email" one, but my suggestion is to try and respond to any question with either "Oh, I expected that you would already have known this, but I can answer it sure!" or "We already covered this, but I don't mind going over it again!". Bonus points if you have NOT already covered that topic!