Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Rockman Reserve posted:

my current work nightmare is that a major client has come back with a shitload of problems and issues with this one project because management absolutely refused to interface with them at all to set expectations or coordinate anything

i have been saying it was a problem that was going to come to a disastrous head for months now and suddenly when it did people are still managing to act surprised about it. 'well the project management team is spread too thin right now' you don't fuckin' say?! maybe hire more managers, promote more people, do loving ANYTHING so that PMs aren't dealing with forty projects in a given week? just a fuckin THOUGHT?

Where can I find a job where "not enough managers" is a problem instead of "too much middle management that does nothing but collect pay checks and no you can't get a raise money is tight this year because our overhead costs are so high"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Play posted:

But if you don't actually get physically sick the virus 1) won't multiply/spread inside you and 2) won't be spread easily to other people through coughing. And like I said, it's very rare to even contract it in any measurable amount after being vaccinated, just as rare as someone getting covid twice. Rare as in the documented instances can be counted with two hands hand internationally, afaik, although I'm open to be corrected.

But that's entirely besides the fact that overcaution is the name of the game, especially as an employer. And the main point, that allowing vaccinated people to stop wearing masks while everyone else does hopelessly obscures the situation and is incredibly stupid, remains. It's hard to know how to talk about these things sometimes because the appropriate level of caution is unclear and you don't want to come off as too lax or too shrill.

Actually I get really pissed off at my workplace because despite the fact that I kinda have my own area they're making me come into the office 4 days a week (completely unnecessary, I can work from anywhere) and certain dumb pricks in the office hardly even bother masking.

Overcaution isn't the name of the game for the employer because basically no employers followed any sort of lockdown procedure from the getgo. Technically for late Nov to early january my business fell under a "25% maximum" lockdown order but lmao if we weren't all doing exactly what we normally do. What am I gonna do, snitch on em as the only one who openly agreed with the lockdown in the first place?

I can't even be assed to get that mad about the lack of masks because honestly with how cramped our office is (we mostly do field work so it's people coming in and out all day, we don't need a huge space) a normal mask wouldn't do poo poo anyways. If one person got sick mask or no every surface in that office would be contaminated before they started feeling symptoms unless they were wearing actual medical stuff rather than the repurposed hanes everyone has.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 6, 2021

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Feels like it's a chicken and egg thing, in an ideal workplace those sort of metrics are counterproductive because everyone is already working to the best of their ability so adding something like that at bare minimum is administrative waste and normally just encourages weird behavior.

OTOH when you don't have stuff like there's inevitably incompetent but senior people who've phoned it in because they realize they'll never get another raise/promotion outside of years worked because they are in fact terrible at their job just hoisting all their responsibilities on the new and motivated people because the office is a team effort and management is just happy when work gets done, regardless of whether or not it's just all the newer underpaid people picking up all the slack of the guy that sits at his desk on a person call for 6 hours billing it as standby.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Play posted:

I'd be so furious about that. You should sue them for putting you in that situation where getting infected is so insanely likely. gently caress those people.

I take my health more seriously than any job, and I've already had to set some boundaries at my work because there are some risks I refuse to take and I don't give a gently caress what the standard policy is. If something seems unsafe to me I'm not doing it, period.

For most people this is called "getting fired".

They really just need to hold employers responsible for stuff like this, like criminal negligence charges, but that's never gonna actually happen. Maybe at most some widows and widowers might get a small settlement.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Calumanjaro posted:

My friend works at one of the big audit firms. They bill a flat rate for service, but still have their employees track their time. I don't understand why people work those jobs.

My job has a mix, but the thing is the people doing the flat rate stuff and know how many hours is considered reasonable for the task, and as you get better at doing the thing you just charge the hours regardless cause no one is verifying it took you that long.

There’s a thing I regularly do that 3-4 hours is considered a reasonable/good time but I can easily get 3 done in an 8 hour day and charge 10 hours for them, everyone wins it’s basically the perfect system.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Zarin posted:

I realize this may be outside the scope of the thread, but I am suddenly intensely curious how and/or why the Turkish job market is like that!

Honestly outside of fairly specific high prospect careers in the US it'd probably look a lot like that without laws. I'm sure most boomers responsible for hiring would absolutely love to see a picture, your age, political orientation, religious affiliations and at home obligations if they had the chance. We didn't have to make those questions illegal because no one bothered asking them.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Afterwards all of us, which included everyone who reported her, had to take sensitivity classes ordered by the company. Yes, now is when this will help.
Has there been any studies on how this does more harm than good? It always feels like the best case is you're preaching to the choir and the more common case is people who aren't the intended audience feel a bit offended at the passive implications and push away from believing it's an issue at all.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

Despite having an absolutely record breaking Q4, and dealing with massive global supply chain disruptions in the middle of a global pandemic, we will not be getting raises this year

Our private equity overlords have, in their infinite generosity, funded a "one time special" bonus pool. Which I'm guessing will be about a quarter of what we we had last year

This was announced in a company wide email at 3pm on a Friday. We have an all-hands meeting Monday. I feel bad for my team leader because holy poo poo is he gonna get an earful.

Keep pretending to pay me and care about my health and safety. I'll keep pretending to give a gently caress about my job.

Our office did fantastic this last year, I was a new employee towards the start of the year in anticipation of a lot of growth (construction is booming in my area) and while there was a month of furlough once we got back at it there was basically as much work as you could volunteer to take. We’re talking triple digits of outperforming and according to the people above me I was one of the big contributors to that, right place right time I guess.

So for half the year my boss had been talking about how my annual review was gonna be huge and how he had been going all the way up the ladder to let people know I was a keeper. I got promoted twice but half the raise my boss had been promising me, and basically no one else got raises because allegedly all that extra profit we’re bringing in is supporting the other branches that had terrible years. Which I sort of get but goddamn do we have a super bloated corporate structure with a bunch of admins we could probably afford to lose in exchange for giving people allegedly keeping this region afloat a couple more bucks an hour.

Even though a crunch due to the pandemic was listed as the reason I wasn’t getting the full raise associated with my 2x promotion whatcha want to bet next year’s review/negotiations will not start from the salary I’m supposed to have for my position. So now I just have an inflated title and if we get newer people in the future one level below me we’ll have the same pay.

Wife’s job is like that too, she just got tenured which comes with a pay bump but then the profs all took a 10% paycut that I doubt is ever coming back when the pandemic is over. It’s gross how management inevitably uses stuff like this to just line their pockets.

We’re all in this together says the people exploiting one of the biggest losses of life in history to pay their workers less.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 6, 2021

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Animal-Mother posted:

Jobs are almost always assholes about sick days. You give me sick days, I use them when I'm sick, then you're mad about it? C'mon.

Not to say it's not a management hellworld that results in this but I also feel like there's an unreasonably large segment of total suckups that refuse to use their sickday that contribute to this. Ironically they make everyone else get sick cause they simply won't stay home no matter how obvious it is they have something bad but their supervisors eat it up and so the cycle continues.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Yeah I have a relatively high PTO rate for american and that means I'm starting at about 1 week vacation, 1 week sick, 2 floaters, or ~2.5 + the bigger federal holidays. If I work at this company for a bajillion years I think it caps out at 4 week vacation, which would be great, except employee loyalty is incredibly undervalued and sticking at one company basically means forgoing substantial raises.

That'd be a good question for the basic poo poo you don't understand thread, the highest earners I know from my acquaintances basically all utilized the failing up strategy, never doing a particularly great job at their work but hopping consistently enough to accelerate their titles (and obviously payscale). While I envy their income I gotta say I don't super envy the stress that comes with the constant hunt, one of my close friends does this and he makes a truckload of money but always seems about ready to breakdown from the stress of it. I'm kind of willing to make less if it just means a more straightforward path, but why is it that companies seem to penalize long term workers? It feels like most jobs I've been at, even "unskilled", someone who had been there for the long haul was an order of magnitude more productive than people training their way up, and yet it's p consistent that the only way to get a good raise is to jump ship. Shouldn't it be win/win for companies to focus more on retainment/rewarding the strong employees?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Son of Rodney posted:

Wait, is sick leave unpaid? Are pto days also unpaid?? Is there a single good thing about US employer rights at all?

I sweat listening to us Americans talk about their jobs is like listening to abuse victims sometimes, I am so sorry :(

The answer is there is no federal guarantee of jack or poo poo but some states are a smidge better and companies always have the option of doing more than the bare minimum with the idea that market competition will result in good bennies without government intervention (lmao). Not even fed holidays are guaranteed pto, so there are plenty of people stuck in the awkward position of wanting to work christmas (or labor day for extra irony) because they can't afford to miss out on 8 hours of pay.

I live in washington so for example the bare minimum is 1 hour of paid sick leave per 40 hours worked, for those of you doing pocket math that's about 1 day of pto per two months, and this is one of the more generous policies.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
My boss legit doesn't understand that most digital forms of communication are cataloged for if not forever, at least a fairly long time so he will repeatedly ask you for things you sent him the other day, and he knows you sent them the other day. There was a job where we had to call ahead to a radiation safety officer whenever we were going to show up on site and he would ask me for the guy's phone number each time via text, and it's not like we text each other a whole lot so even if he absolutely refused to save the number in his phone he'd just have to scroll up 5 messages to see it.

Same with email stuff, send him a report with a really cohesive searchable title, like "date client project name testing performed" and 2 days later he'd ask if you could send that report again because he can't find it. Our office is all of 5 people so he is not getting such a deluge of emails that searching by client/project wouldn't immediately pop up exactly what he was looking for.

Occasionally he'll ask me about something fairly old while standing over my shoulder so I could vaguely understand if it was harder to find and he'll see me search either my own archive of reports if I personally did the thing or my email if I'm tangentially involved and when I find it in a few seconds he thinks I'm a wizard.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I had a real scorcher of one yesterday. An employee who actually lives about 80 minutes from the office (next town over) is flying in today from a job he was at for the last month in the Midwest. For some reason the flight was booked to our town rather than the town he lives in so he doesn’t really have anyone to pick him up and will need to get back to the office to take a work truck and drive home.

He is apparently too dumb to expense a cab, so our boss starts frantically trying to arrange a way for someone to pick him up. Naturally no one volunteers to be a free taxi service in the middle of the day on a Saturday, so the solution he comes up with is to have two employees take two work trucks over to the airport yesterday so they can leave one with the key just chilling inside it overnight in the airport parking lot.

I get back from a long day of last minute call ins with a bunch of paperwork to catch up on from doing 15 hours worth of billable time and the guys the boss asked to do this (and agreed to do it because they weren’t doing anything else with their time) immediately try to make it seem like the boss had asked me to do it. At this point I hadn’t heard about the situation at all but I’ve already learned to never take requests from these guys so I just tell em no way I got work to do, if the boss wants me to take care of it he can call me himself. They go off in an absolute huff at which point I check in with my other boss and ask wtf that was all about, he is also incredulous and wonders why no one just arranged a cab and why we’re wasting an hour each for two employees to save 20-30 bucks on a cab right, additionally it’s 15 parking fee to leave the truck in the lot overnight anyways lmao.

I later got in touch with the boss who started this and at least he was like “nah I knew you were busy and the only one doing anything today so I just sent those two because they were gonna bill standby time to sit on their rear end anyways so might as well have them do something” which I guess fair, it was essentially money already spent. But that still doesn’t explain why they didn’t just fly the guy to his home town in the first place.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 13, 2021

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I'm not knocking a dual (or more) monitor setup but y'all know you can just put things on half screen right? I had a two monitor first at home then later at work as they became cheaper and more mainstream but assuming you have a sufficiently sized monitor and sufficiently functioning eyeballs I never really had issues doing the whole put document I'm transcribing data from on half the screen and have excel or w/e open on the other half approach.

I only ask because I've shown people the drag thing to the side of the screen and have it autosize to half function and had their minds just explode so I wouldn't be surprised if people didn't realize you could do that. I use a regularly sized dell laptop in the field p often and do that all the time still in 2021, it's deffo not as good as two monitors at my desk but by no means are you stuck "alt tabbing constantly".

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

TontoCorazon posted:

That's why I super loved NYC banning pre-employment drug tests for a majority of workers. It made no sense to be tested for weed if it made no bearing on my ability to do my job.

https://twitter.com/NYCCHR/status/1259944212340056065

I mean since weed can be found in your system even when you are by no means impaired it makes no sense for any kind of job, there's not a valid reason why an employer should be allowed to control what you're doing outside of paid working hours assuming it doesn't influence your working hours.

OTOH I work in a field where they do random drug tests (and actually do them, I've had several jobs where they said they did but it never once happened. This one an assortment of people do get popped monthly, one guy just failed in fact!) and to be honest while I miss weed a bit it was actually not the worst excuse to quit.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Hypothetically if you haven’t built it up in your system you could p easily smoke Friday night and be clean by monday, but I’ve never bothered trying that because I feel like I’d just waste the weed feeling anxious.

My job technically overlaps with the department of transportation both in Washington and Oregon so it’s gonna be a long time before testing isn’t a thing. Even my bosses get tested, though theirs are on annual timers instead of completely random which imo kind of eliminates the whole point. I wish they did that for the rest of us.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

nexus6 posted:

Maybe it's just my experience (or lack of) but to me it feels like people who want to continue to get raises instead of making pay fair sound like a FYGM attitude. I agree the company shouldn't punish people who are paid better, but it's not like people are getting their pay reduced - the finite amount the company has is being spread more evenly. This isn't to do with any specific law or change btw, it's an internal decision.

I imagine the reason the company hasn't given any info about what jobs pay what amount is likely because the people paid the most also happen to be white males and their embarrassed to say so.

They are also underpaid and you immediately wanting money directly from them rather than the management/company in general is literally the exact attitude they're trying to cultivate so y'all hate each other.

Like you almost came across as a far right caricature of leftist values when you immediately went for the "yeah it's our white male colleagues that are paid too much, we should take money from them to equalize things" here. The reality is your bosses are laughing all the way to the bank while you squabble.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

nexus6 posted:

I wasn't expecting as much pushback on the idea of making pay more fair across roles tbh.

That’s p much the least honest possible way to twist what people are saying to you. Literally no one replying to you has said that they think giving underpaid employees raises to match their peers, particularly when there’s evidence their lack of pay is due to discrimination, is a bad thing.

Everyone is criticizing the method as dumb poo poo your work did.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

zedprime posted:

I've never heard anybody in the 60-80 hour overachiever crew say something along the lines of "work hard play hard" in any way that doesn't sound like they are trying to convince themself most of all.

Trade-esque skills with minimums play into this. I can’t imagine burning myself out like that for a salaried job but in my field there’s essentially kpi’s that determine the billing (this task should take x hours, we charge the client a flat amount proportional to that time). Thing thing is, when we do our time cards we cross reference the same numbers to get paid ourselves, so for a task that takes ~4 hrs I say I’m billing 4 hours to the client for that project for that sample that needed this kinda of processing and pay myself 4 hours. It might only take me 3, or if I stack my workload efficiently, only 2, but I still get to bill the full time because it’s already been paid for.

In addition to this, our OT is all calculated based on an 8 hr day rather than a 40 hr week, so if I worked 4 tens I’m effectively getting 32 hrs standard pay and 8 hrs 1.5x. Mentally I just convert it to standard hrs and think “I’m getting paid 44 hrs for this week”.

All this boils down to me stacking my days so during normal times I work 30 hrs, get paid in the 40s, and have a 3 day weekend. During busy times I work 40-50 hrs and get paid 70+ hrs. During slow times I can use pto or just take an unpaid week off, which isn’t hard to afford because of all the OT banked up. Work is work though it’s not getting paid to sit in an office and email people. In this way I basically work hard when there’s lots of work, and use that as a cushion to take breaks when I can. It feels very rewarding and the work is a good mixture of physically and mentally engaging.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

nexus6 posted:

lol, we just got an all-staff email with a breakdown of how many hours each person has logged in April asking "Are these numbers correct?" in a pretty transparent attempt to name-and-shame people. About 1/5 to 1/4 (including myself) have 0 hours logged. Time to send around the wiki page for Goodhart's law again!
Hours of what logged?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Deki posted:

My workplace just sent out a notice saying they're removing the ability to compress your schedule to 4 days a week or have your work start before 7 am, and are giving us a whole week to figure out what's up.

We've had retention issues for years and this is gonna piss a lot of people off who only have stuck around because of the flexibility
I feel like whenever I’ve done jobs with flexible schedules mostly it meant that there were office leaches flexing their schedule onto other people. Claiming to come in early or stay late so they could have 3 day weekends but likely just finding opportunities to sit on their phone when no one was around. It very much becomes a plight of the common scenario and it’s not a huge surprise if management eventually gets sick of it and takes it away from everyone.

I mean it sounds like your workplace sucked anyways if retention was already a huge deal so maybe no one was abusing it, but someone always is.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Tetramin posted:

But with a flexible schedule if someone isn’t doing their share of work that should become visible to the boss eventually. If someone’s doing enough work to not raise any flags and spends some time dicking around, who cares?

They don’t raise any flags because they just offload their work onto everyone else and management usually doesn’t care if stuff gets done. If everyone did what they do eventually management does start noticing because not enough stuff is getting done, and that’s when it gets axed.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Freaquency posted:

People you know leave voicemails? The biggest pet peeve I have is people calling me when I’m busy or away and not leaving anything, then getting pissy when I don’t call them back right away. If you didn’t leave a VM or didn’t follow up with a text or email, then I am going to assume every time that it wasn’t important. :shrug:

Is that just to be spiteful or something? My job is p active and fieldwork oriented so basically everyone has some sort of Bluetooth headset so they can call people while their hands or full or such and it’s always understood if someone is right in the middle of something and can’t easily answer they’re gonna be calling back as soon as they can.

If someone called it’s something important already, that’s why they called. A VM just wastes time because you’ll need to call me anyways.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

satanic splash-back posted:

I get voice mails all the time at my work. Most of them say things like hey this is so-and-so could you please give me a call back? Or hey this is so-and-so and I think your email (that said do not contact me for questions) had something wrong and it could you call me back please?

I did get one voicemail once that was kind of important in the last year.

This is why I don’t get why anyone wants voicemails. If it’s call where you recognize the number it’s just understood you’re gonna call back when you have a moment. Why waste the time to listen to a voicemail that says “call me back”? I’m glad people I know understand this.

This is true for personal or work calls. I’m legit flabbergasted a bunch of goons are clamoring for voicemails, I hate voicemails I can already see who I need to contact on my list of missed calls.

e: though I can understand why this may not work if you regularly get calls from people you don't know at all. And I do agree if something is easier as an email/text that is preferred, though often times I think people exaggerated how much easier text is because our generation hates using the phone, a email that gets pingponged for half a day because neither side is psychic enough to anticipate every followup question could have often been resolved in a live conversation of only a few minutes.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 3, 2021

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Imagined posted:

It's all well and good except for the part where you project this attitude that you feel superior to other people who don't do what you consider "actual work". Who the hell are you to decide whether other people do "actual work"?

For one thing, most "actual work" couldn't exist today without the technology and finance enabled and supported by the computer touchers and administrators you think are less essential than you. It's one thing for me to come on here and say MY job is bullshit and shouldn't exist, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to someone else say it without telling them to go take a long walk off a short pier.
Over half this thread being white collar employees complaining about having to go back to the office because now they have to pretend to be doing something instead of dicking off all day between the 2 hours of work they need to get done does perhaps not help this image much.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Outrail posted:

Has anyone who had to log time in 15 minute increments ever not ballparked everything at the end of ever day/pay period?

When you do tangible stuff for tangible people and a client is directly billed in a manner that matches your timecard.

Work as a contractor where you spent 3.75 hours fixing a thing, bill the client 3.75hrs + travel + whatever flat rates you/the company you work for have for the service/equipment/parts required. This falls apart when 80% of your day is spent staring out of a window or talking to adjacent people in your office but when there's easily measurable products and or services you produce with your time it's not that nonsensical.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

nonathlon posted:

Of course, the US has a somewhat requirement in 9 month contracts for lecturing, where you're not paid outside teaching terms and are expected to pay for the gap with research grants.
This is more of a perk you’re writing as a downside. The salary a prof makes is good money as an annual salary it’s just that the way their contract is setup the paycheck is tied to teaching credits so you get paid during the typical fall/spring semesters (or equivalent with quarters).

But it’s not like they’re paying you 75% of your 80k salary and saying “lmao gotcha” during the summer, they just pay you the 80k throughout the schoolyear. I think most schools even let you voluntarily sign up for spreading the money to be paid so there isn’t a gap in the summer, but why would you do that when you could just get it sooner and collect more interest with it.

You also can get paid from the school in the summer if you teach one of their summer sessions which many will do because they’re probably gonna be on campus doing research or writing papers and such anyways.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Our regional HR manager was in our small office last week, she's the one responsible for pay rates/promotions/etc. She's decided that now of all times she's gonna crack down on non billable stuff which is in our contract as half the payrate (or min wage whichever is higher). Min wage isn't awful in washington, so it's in the high 13.xx hours, but considering the nature of the short staffed everywhere market right now you can make like 16-20 literally flipping burgers or stocking shelves (often with signing bonuses!). Non-billables include tasks that are completely vital to people continuing to do their job because we're essentially heavily regulated trade work so equipment calibrations need to be up to date, training/certs need to be refreshed or obtained to do work. On top of this non-billable stuff is all flat time, whereas billable stuff has minimums based on the contract with the clients you're working with, so you can legit work 1-2 hours and bill 3. For the most part even with full pay it was already pulling teeth to get anyone to do general upkeep stuff, now it's gonna be almost impossible. We got some incredibly important equipment that's going to need someone to spend upwards of a week to get calibrated before the month ends and no one is going to want to do it because it means putting in a full 40 hours of pretty tedious work to make half the pay of someone putting in 20-30 hours of covering a few field shifts per day.

The kicker is the reason she's doing this is because our small rear end office is basically propping up the entire western region of our corp. Our branch was basically a mom n pop that got bought out for performing well so there's no middle management bloat. Business has been booming here and we're making money hand over fist while other branches are floundering under the weight of do nothing wfh admins so they need to pay us less so they can keep paying themselves. The rates we charge for the various things we do are all known to our small employee base, and our operations manager (local boss) is pretty open about how we're crushing it, so it's all transparently clear that as far as our branch is concerned robbing employees of 100 bucks a day doing vital work is by no means a necessary belt tightening sacrifice. We're actually doing so well with our local bids that we don't have enough people to cover the work we win and have had to turn down jobs, we're trying to hire more but there's a few people already saying that if their paycheck gets slashed they're gonna just walk out with their certs and work for a competitor, there's no way a new hirer (that starts off with p meh wages in the first place before getting trained up and certed) would want these terms when they could literally just go work at walmart for more money.

I've been loving this job for the past 2 years because it's so small and really feels like the more you put in the more you get out but corporate vampires just can't help themselves.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Agents are GO! posted:

"Look, I'm just gonna say the people I manage simply aren't going to do part of their job, because they don't like it. I'm going to be super obnoxious until you do their job for me. I am a good manager. "

I mean you flip this on it's head and most of the time it's not the people who are getting these extra tasks dumped on them's job. You got a lot of jobs where people have to track their hours to billable tasks or project and trying to set up guides or directives to get them to do their own IT or admin work is something they don't even have a billable code for.

Our HR/payroll department offloads so much administrative overhead onto our technicians I'm legit not sure what exactly they're paid to do and whenever IT rolls out a new app or switches what software we're using for our jobs and nothing works out of the box so you have to spend half a day fixing it that's something you're just straight up not paid for.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This same person was due for a safety training a couple months back, for which I am a supervisor and responsible for making sure everyone in the office is current on. It's a standard slideshow followed by a quiz at the end. The old supervisor for this used to just give them printed out answers because making it all the way through the training was such a hassle. This time, I conveniently couldn't find the answer sheet and told them to take the entire training like they're supposed to and take the quiz at the end like all the rest of us. At the quiz portion (which you should be able to pass without even taking the training because you've been here for 20 YEARS TAKING THIS EVERY YEAR) the entire training slideshow is in a side pane, which is searchable, so you can literally ctrl+f every one of the 30 answers. I went and hid from them and came back to find that another coworker took pity and found a printed out copy of the safety handbook for this training so they could look for the answers in a paper copy of it.

When they print anything, they always have to reconnect to the office printer, which involves at least 5 test pages printed out.

The department IT guy was just down in their office a little while ago today, so it seems like I'm off the hook for a while now.
Not to pin this on you personally because I'm well aware you have nothing to do with the policy or implementation but at the end of the day isn't this more the fault of your lovely work environment than the individual? I go through these sorts of trainings all the time because I work at sensitive sites and the reality is you can just mash through all the slides of things you're allegedly supposed to learn and do well enough at guessing after you eliminate the majority of clearly wrong answers to pass whatever pulse sensing benchmark exists as the end of chapter quiz. It's literally just safety training theater designed to kick liability cans down the road. The people supposed to learn stuff from these never learn things from them because they never were designed to teach anyone anything, it's all just administrative checkboxes that pay out a salary to do nothing safety officials. If there was any real intent to educate you'd have at bare minimum live classes and proctored exams for the material, but that never has been and never will be the actual goal. It's hard to fault people for failing at system that was never intended to work.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

champagne posting posted:

Why do you call the active? Is there an inactive or passive shooter just lurking about?

Yeah, the weirdos who open and/or concealed carry in grocery stores.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

I work in the eldercare field, we lost 50% of our staff in November due to leaves for this reason. Our facility is for people who have VERY deep dementia, Alzheimer's, etc... Tons of 'elopement risk', tons of wildly violent behaviors, a good half of our residents are also some level of bariatric patients as well. So we're already stretched pretty thin when we have a FULL staff. We are down to 3 people on NOX shift, 1 caregiver, two aides. For 75 patients.

And once we lost half our staff, the remaining half got overwhelmed, and we've lost about 30% of them in the past 3 weeks. Admin tried to call back the people on leave, got 4 back out of 30. And then people who were already vaxed got mad because they were told they had to, buckled down, got the shots, got sick as hell from it, and it was for nothing, because obviously they let the unvaxed come back in the end anyway. Morale is so low it's nonexistant. More people are burning out and putting in notice.

We are figuratively burning up here. We have people working 18 hour shifts because we literally can't leave the place unstaffed.

We're screwed no matter what we do - let the unvaxed come back, to relieve the pressure, or keep them away. We've been running ads for 3 weeks now and what I heard was that we've gotten 'less than 10' applications in. For a staffing shortage of about 55 vacancies. We have tiny overnight girls trying to work with resistant 500 lb patients. This is just a perfect storm for disaster.

This is the first job I've managed to get since March 2020 and I'm applying everywhere I can to just cut and run. It's getting completely uncontrollable. The state has promised 'help' but admin says we won't see any of that funding until maybe summer of 2022. People are literally going to die or be badly injured because of this, and there's no way out of it.

I've heard most of these care places pay their staff in packing peanuts while chargin exuberant prices to the eldery and families that little to no other options other than leaving grandma to die. I bet they could fill all those open slots in a week if they offered an extra 5 or 10 an hour, and could likely afford it too.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
My work just had a dumb teamspace meeting where they announced a highly anticipated policy that was silently neutered in the worst way.

We're a construction-adjacent inspection company so there's a couple times a year (usually when it's either way too hot or way too cold) where there's no work being done so there's no work for us to do, and since we're hourly employees that bill to projects that basically means we don't get paid during that time. I've never considered it a huge deal cause we have so much freebie overtime opportunities that you can just work extra when the work is good and save some cash in anticipation of the 1-2 weeks a year where it's an actual issue, basically I've always treated it like a flex time vacation.

However, a lot of people are bad with money so there's always grumbling and the project managers finding something for people to bill the time they aren't working. Our megacorp doesn't like it when the managers do this because it's not really the intent of our system so they've been hinting at a coming new PTO/accrual system that will handle slow periods.

The info we were getting suggested it was basically gonna be like sick time but for bad weather, which is a good idea and surprisingly generous sounding.

Turns out the policy is that, except you're only allowed to use it if you're already burned most of your vacation, which means if you saved your vacation in anticipation of a trip or w/e, you basically never get to touch it.

I clarified in the meeting that this applies even if you've gotten prior approval to use your vacation elsewhere, like say in january you book a week or two off for some spring trip that's already in the system and approved, but there's a snowstorm in feb, you're SOL.

At the end of the day since it's an extra thing it doesn't change anything from the system we've had and I've been fine with and I can just ignore it's existence, but somehow they made what was meant to be a new incentive and turned it into me just feeling bitter it's something I won't realistically have any access to. I'm also vaguely worried it's gonna crop up in annual raise/promotion discussions as "look at how many extra weeks of PTO you can get a year, we're gonna pretend we expect everyone to use 100% of it and factor it into their annual compensation".

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

deep dish peat moss posted:

i like how the idea of a raise big enough to garner a cnn news story still projects a raise that does not keep up with inflation

in fact relative to 2021 inflation that would be a smaller raise than I have got in previous years. A 3.9% raise when inflation was 6.2% is much worse than a 1.5% raise or whatever when inflation was 1.8%. Pure propaganda.

If I had to take a shot in the dark it's also probably factoring in them just offering more money for people coming in, not necessary more money for existing employees.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Alkydere posted:

It's because these businesses are trying to get desperate people that will actually stay and work for lovely wages in a toxic workplace. If you're willing to go through all of that and show up then you're desperate and they can get away with more.

My job had one of those things, but it was after you submitted your resume. It was my last application of the afternoon and I had already dealt with a bunch of it that day so after I submitted my resume and saw that I just said gently caress it I'll do it later. I ended up forgetting about it for a few days cause I had other interviews lined up and I got contacted by one of their recruiters asking to me finish the application, instead I just said if they liked my resume we could interview and I'd fill it out after an offer. Surprisingly this worked and I had an informal offer after an interview like a week later and just ended up finishing the questionaire and such before I started.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Re: thoughts and prayers

Do the 0.5%ers not understand that "thoughts and prayers" has become a stupid cliche that everyone else laughs at now? Is it speechwriters/publicists trying to sabotage their overlords? I mean I know that they're all pretty badly out of touch, but "gently caress your thoughts and prayers" has been the refrain of a whole lot of the population for years now, it's not exactly a niche idea.

The base they want support from still loves the phrase. The people who think it’s shameless and hollow pandering don’t like bezos or amazon anyways.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Armauk posted:

Report him.

A friend of mine did this then suddenly all his time off requests started not getting approved because lmao America and can you really prove it’s retaliation?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Scientastic posted:

Your kitchen should have a heat detector fire alarm, not a smoke alarm, and the other smoke alarms in the house are easily defeated by closing the kitchen door and opening a window.

Source: we only got round to putting a kitchen door on last year and it changed our lives

I have an over the range microwave with vent fan setup and the fan was broken for a couple years after I moved in (previous owners clearly never cleaned it and the clogging got so bad it probably burned something out). We did eventually get a new microwave but I think i only set off smoke detectors a couple of times despite cooking regularly, and the times I can remember were due to mistakes or whatever, preseasoning some oil too long and letting it smoke while distracted kinda deals. Curious how you guys tripped it so often.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I don’t understand how it’s legal to have pto benefits that
a: need approval for use
And
b: are lost when not used

Because at that point they are literally stealing your compensation when they just deny your pto requests.

It’s something that scares me about my current place of business. So far my boss has never given me an issue but I do know a couple of people who regularly lose a couple days worth because they hate their family/are over invested in the company and simply don’t use their vacation.

In the past we could cash it out, but when covid hit they removed that ability and lowered the number you could rollover to next year (it was a p big cut). Of course our branch has been doing great so there’s no reason to “tighten the belt” but there’s always “other” branches management points to for as to why they can’t give us the stuff they “had” to take away because “covid is a tough year financially”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Killswitch posted:

I can understand the need for approval, you can’t just have an entire team/department go on leave at the same time.

But, it’s loving theft to not allow rollover or payout on PTO

Yeah that’s why I said a and b, if it needs approval then it should not be designed such that you lose out on compensation when your boss says no. Hell that sets up a perverse incentive to deny usage. I’m sure there’s bean counters out there scoring managers badly for letting their employees use too much sick or vacation or whatever time.