Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Escape From Noise posted:

Fully Sexual Space Ghost???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I hope folks are just standing around the punch clock everyday just cranking it at 1 after the hour.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mormon Nailer posted:

Hard same.

Today is 89 pallets of soap day. I am not looking forward to running the office by myself while everyone else is shipping stuff.

They won't let me go in the warehouse because one time, when the boss stacked stuff too high, it fell over on me and dislocated my shoulder. The fear of getting sued is stronger than efficient and safe work practices.

Why didn't you sue them that time?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The Mississippi River is a pretty small job market have you considered broadening your search to include land

Maybe they have really good riverboat experience

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

My Company terminated me for not coming to work when everyone else in my department (six of ten people) was coming down with COVID. Also, they fired me while I was in an FMLA agreement.

Based on the people who made this determination over the protests of my actual manager, this termination is also likely retaliation for a work dispute that I "won" in September that resulted in the termination of my antagonist, who was friendly with one or both of them.

My Company does dumb things.

I am contacting the State Bar in the morning and am fighting with DES to demand my Un-employment Benefits because they also terminated me for absenteeism, during a COVID spike, while I was on FMLA, without ever telling me my employment was in jeopardy but instead praising me for following proper procedures during an illness.

Holy crap, light those assholes up

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

kntfkr posted:

You are the specific guy I wanted to ask because you were the first person I ever heard bring up KVM. I got the two remote job set up finally.

Can you please recommend a simple KVM switch for a local set up (1 desk)?

This is the one I've had since the pandemic started and I've been really happy with it:

IOGEAR 2-Port HDMI Cable KVM Switch with Cables and Audio, GCS62HU, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YCUDMU/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_4XK3HRDQQCCH8K4QZM19?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Asking about their last vacation seems like a good interview question to gauge unlimited pto places. I work for a good one right now, but I've seen bad ones for sure.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

SubponticatePoster posted:

All you really need to know is that there isn't a manual or guide to using Agile, but a loving manifesto. Anyone who writes a document in this day and age and calls it a manifesto is either the Unabomber or so far up their own rear end that even if they have a good idea it's going to be buried in insufferable prose and buzz words. Which lovely managers will then shout at their employees, regardless of applicability to whatever they're trying to accomplish.

hth

20 years ago is this day and age?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Agile was a good response to waterfall and then people immediately ignored the part about not being dogmatic about processes and made the whole thing its own process and a thing to implement instead of a way to think.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

One of my engineering professors in college told us that back when he worked in manufacturing and he got a timeline from his team about how long it would take to fabricate something, he would always double it before giving it to customers. Claims he was always closer to the truth and what his guys originally gave him, and with 20 years of hindsight I have no reason to doubt him.

Boss on my first job always tripled developer estimates before giving them to the customer. He was always right to do so.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Escape From Noise posted:

I probably should have. I think it's just a thought. If it goes any further I'll tell him he'll need to hire a vitner.

But you said you could do it, why would they need someone else???

Never trust that it's just a thought.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

zedprime posted:

The impossible loss prevention riddle of taking monitors home. We couldn't possibly barcode or serial number them in an asset management system or account them off as opex. Nothing we can do but adorn the office with their turned off visage.

Or, you know, just deal with that they might lose a few 200 dollar assets in order to keep their tens of thousands of dollar employees productive and happy.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

goatface posted:

It probably means he argued back too much.

"You didn't just implement my dumb ideas, you explained why there were dumb and shouldn't do them and was right"

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Faustian Bargain posted:

i’m also an unlimited pto haver. previous job was use it or lose it and i’d always end up taking like all of december off, but now i’m at a place that actually wants and encourages me to take time off and avoid burn out.

i’ve heard this actually is better for the employer since people generally end up taking less time off overall but not for me. i wish more employers weren’t so rigid.

Yep, unlimited can be a trap, but when you hit a place that actually encourages its use it can be great. The only trick is getting yourself out of the mindset that you can't take time for yourself.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Tarkus posted:

Nah, if you're willing to google it then you're just as well off putting it through GPT. Would I trust it to give me novel solutions to things unknown? No, but as a search device for technical information that's buried under crap, it's pretty cool.

Trust the chat bot to get it right or myself evaluating search results. Always going to just Google it myself.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I'm mainly just hearing this

https://youtu.be/cDsRXhtHW9Q

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Never worked at a tech company like what is being described, though also never worked at a tech company that was very large so that's probably why.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

TheBlackVegetable posted:

LLMs, and ChatGPT 4 particularly, are proving very useful for programming assistance - you just have to know exactly what you want, how to ask the right questions, and how to validate what is produced.

They are great tools for boosting the productivity of good developers, but they are just a tool.

They're useful if you're an expert so you can correct them. That's exactly the reason I don't use it, I'll just do it right the first time or actually learn from a mistake. Too many AI psychos where I work overusing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

Another day, another interview with someone who's lied so egregiously on their CV that they can't even bullshit their way through softball questions. What's more frustrating is that these applications are supposedly being screened by a recruiter. Our requirements are simple - C#, API, database testing experience. All you need, I'll take someone experienced in another language if they have the other two because the skills are largely translatable.

Today's guy listed he had C# experience but couldn't tell me what a class was. API testing but had never used Postman nor could tell me what a GET request did (and that's the emergency break glass "gently caress this person might not have ever seen an API before" question). He did know how SQL works, at least.

We're now into month 2 of this recruitment process and no signs of actually getting a candidate. Either people applying are perfectly qualified but live 3+ hours away (and we have to be in the office 2 days a week), or don't have the experience they say they do on their CV. We offered one person I used to work with but unfortunately the salary offer was barely over what she's currently making. I am well over 300 CVs now. gently caress.

I wouldn't want to be in the office 2 days a week to do those things either. Gonna have to pay more to get someone for that.