Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

My current job is actually pretty great, not much to complain about, aside from the workload/pace being a bit frantic at times but management is generally understanding and supportive of us. I have worked a few engineering jobs now though and I have to ask, does ANYONE in engineering/manufacturing use good ERP software? They all seem like they were written by some loving university student who just discovered Access. Why is enterprise software always so bad? I don't get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i'm the most senior employee at my company, largely because of turnover in the industry, and i hate job hunting and i get paid pretty well. we have three products, i'm the only person who has ever seen the old product in action and one of two people who knows how the middle product works. everyone else of our many employees works on developing or selling the new product, which has a healthy and growing market share. a decent amount of our yearly revenue comes from recurring licensing on the older two products, which are entirely my responsibility to support. the total revenue from these zombie fees more than covers my salary

our time tracking software has many categories for new product development, but only one category for legacy product support. the legacy products also have their own ticketing system, of which i am the only user, and most of the tickets which are opened are automated notifications to long dormant email addresses, which i close immediately. about two in five tickets are actual product questions, nearly all of the time questions with easy answers. so my ticket closure metrics are fantastic. because it appears from the outside that i am working very diligently holding down the rear guard of legacy revenue by myself like some kind of magical hero, nearly everyone in the company leaves me alone. seriously, when people ask me to get on a call to explain some obscure feature or to book a training session, they approach me like they've just climbed a mountain to speak to an ancient monk who only speaks in obscure riddles of perfect wisdom. i'm not even middle aged, its wild the level of reverence my coworkers have for me like i'm some kind of greybeard who invented telephones or some poo poo

i've also inherited a large number of oddball responsibilities due to my long tenure, including the actual physical hardware of our remaining server stack which isn't yet moved to the cloud, for reasons. we have an offshore devops guy who is my work buddy, and he gets paid in american dollars and not local currency, so he's very happy and not wanting to rock the boat. i wire up the hardware in the small office the company rented on the edge of town because it is cheap during covid times. the office is also used sometimes to pretend to clients our all-virtual firm has a physical presence, and most of the VPs have vanity offices so they can say to their spouses "i need to head to the office" and they sit in the quiet of a half vacant office park. otherwise the site is only used for our in-house servers, and my devops pal manages these servers remotely. this arrangement suits the both of us just fine because it seems more complicated than it really is. because it is a pile of blinking boxes and cables, clearly it is only to be touched by the qualified thing-knower, me

some time ago, the CEO messages me with an urgent problem. one of our critical build servers is nonresponsive. if my schedule isn't too busy, could i drive out there immediately and check on it? well, my schedule is completely open, so i tell the CEO i'm setting all other tasks aside and treating this as my highest priority. i drive out there and pass through security - who is surprised to see anyone other than the c-suite who use the office as a place to flee their home offices - and i check on the box. it got hung up during an automatic update, and someone needs to press F1 to continue. with all my skill and might, i press F1. the server boots, and i verify it booted and is on the network, and i text the CEO personally to let him know the problem is now resolved, and the core dev team can now continue their work

for this feat of monumental heroism and prowess, i get a companywide attaboy email and a personal shoutout at our next all hands meeting

technically i am still the PBX admin, but nobody uses the phone tree anymore. back when it was in common use, in the Before Times when people made calls, i would flex my power by threatening (jokingly) to give people annoying hold music so that the people they put on hold would be angrier when finally picked up

anyway,
http://conferencecall.biz/

This post had me actually cutting up and laughing, great story lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Without knowing your situation, that did sound like it had sexist undertones, even before I read your last part where your actual manager mentioned it. It reeked of it tbh

Also don't know her situation aside from that post and didnt know she was a woman but I (a male) had a similar comment made to me in a previous co-op while I was in college. I was in a cubicle away from everyone else and the opening faced a wall so I was pretty much hidden. I prefer to be solitary if I can help it and would usually only leave my desk if I had to go into the shop to see something. My boss/other engineers would usually just email me with work to do and I'd similarly email back with results/requests for checks of my work. One day the office matriarch (a very large and loud woman) loudly said while I was eating my lunch "oh hot cocoa! I didnt even know you were still working here! You're always hiding in your hole!" and I was so shocked I just kind of laughed and said "yeah that hole is where I work". Afterwards thinking about it I thought "that was kinda a rude comment" but she was generally known to be a loudmouth so I brushed it off.

Later she came by my desk and told me "people notice" that "you're kind of cold and don't even say hi to most people". "We're a family here so try to fit in", she tells me. I was going through a separation with my wife at the time so I wasnt super happy most days and that just sent my anxiety through the roof. The next Monday though my manager brought me into his office and told me I was doing great work, and it was so refreshing to have such a diligent and mature co-op student (I was 28 at the time, they usually have 19-22 year old co-ops in the engineering department), and said I should consider coming and applying to work there after I graduated. So that was a big relief. I never said anything to him about the sales admins comment, or even to anyone except my exwife. gently caress you Linda!

Designing mining equipment was lame anyway. I design robots and poo poo now which is way cooler.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Play posted:

I feel like that kind of autonomy should be preserved, the ability to just do your work and get through the day without making lame small talk with people all the time. And it is really loving rude to insist that someone display a level of sociality that doesn't fit their preferences or character.

It was honestly pretty jarring in my case too, because it was my first office job ever, having spent about 9 years working in a cold storage warehouse. Not usually a lot of socializing on the floor of a freezer, especially with the noise of the reefers and all the forklifts, and the fact that usually you don't stay in one place for very long. My work ethos had always been "head down, git 'er done" from that background. My headspace was pretty hosed up (aforementioned ongoing separation from wife at the time) but I was seriously second guessing if I was cut out for an office at the time, especially after that comment.

The place I work at now is awesome though, big open engineering office with loads of windows, plus the door to the shop is really just an short hallway and opening which gives a good feeling of closeness between shop and engineering. Some days I just plug in the headphones and get absorbed in the design world on my computer, some days I'm hardly at my desk, spending a little time in person hands-on with every machine and every builder. Whatever I need to do to do the job and no one asks questions as long as I deliver results. Plus there is zero dress code, the founder/president sometimes literally comes in in his sweatpants to tinker with designs we're having issues with lol.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

post the screed

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

Yesterday I sent in a ticket to have some access added to my account.

Instead they wiped all my access for that program and I can't do my job this morning.

That's a lol.

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

Does this thread give anyone else anxiety?

You poor loving people.

i like this thread because it keeps reminding me that despite my struggles, at least i dont have to deal with this bullshit for 40-60+ hours a week lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Zarin posted:

I try and keep a personal rule that "an email means you can answer this at your discretion; an IM means I need an answer now please kthx"

Yeah and in addition to that I personally only use email for sending a formal message to multiple people. Otherwise I'll just use teams or like... walk up to them and talk to them (intercompany, obviously. Suppliers/customers only get emails).

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

First email, several cc's involved:

Hello James,

We're having some difficulty implementing the design as originally pitched to your firm. One of the challenges is that the geometry of the part is causing the accumulator to overflow early, due to the requested chute layout. We were wondering if we could change the design as follows, and we'll follow up with a sealed drawing:

[drawings, formal engineering jargon]

Regards,
<full company signature>

Twelfth email, cc's have fallen by the wayside:

jim i think i hosed up earlier, check this poo poo out:

[ms paint on a janky solidworks screenshot]

<no sign off but full company sig anyway cause its automatic>

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I only say "Hello," as a salutation and "Regards," as a sign off, unless I'm asking for something and then its "Thanks,".

I'm an engineer tho so I feel I get away with robotic email

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

teen witch posted:

Oh my god it is 2021 do not embed a massive image in an email please lord Satan

luv 2 come into work and get an email from a customer titled "machine broken?" that is just 5 blurry full res phone pics and a "sent from my samsung galaxy 8" for context

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

This thread is doing some amazing mental gymnastics to justify assault. Kinda hosed up, sorry if this is a hot take.

lol

replying to a gbs 2.0 post

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

poisonpill posted:

The employment guide for my work!

OSS handbook for industrial sabotage in occupied France

it's uncanny how these excerpts read like a parody of modern workplaces. it's written like it's an ironic take on the modern HR guidelines for managers and employees but it's a completely serious document on wartime economic disruption

did you distribute this handbook to my previous workplaces? be honest

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Local Weather posted:

This is shocking to Americans but I've seen my Dutch co-workers tell the boss flat-out "no, we're not doing that" on multiple occasions. The first time I ever saw it happen my jaw dropped. Now I'm way more used to it and totally into it.

Yeah I've noticed this is actually a thing in cultures that have a "mission-focused" work ideology versus "task-focused" ideology. I kind of see it like German mission tactics in WW2 versus most other militaries, where they encouraged every participant in the mission to understand intent, and rarely gave direct orders. NCOs and junior officers were free to carry out missions as they seen would accomplish goals most effectively, and if leaders were killed in combat, the next man in command already knew what they were doing and how to pick up the lead. This was contrasted to most other militaries where orders were given directly and questioning/contradicting was discouraged.

Anecdotal but in the previous job I worked designing mining equipment, the two Swedish dudes (engineers/designers) were the only ones who would consistently tell the boss (business/manager type with no technical background) that his ideas were poo poo and they're not doing that. Everyone else would just say "well I know it's not going to work but he wouldn't listen so I'm doing it anyway" and then after we wasted 2 months designing and fabbing the prototypes, they would just stand there with the "I told you so" look while the boss looks like an idiot. Sure you were right but we wasted a quarter mil on this stupid exercise.

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 22, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

become a millionaire before 30 and then get a cushy 40/week job to maintain so you can have your race cars and golf. its pretty straight forward

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

my work just has us do up an excel sheet for time tracking and it's not important for it to be super accurate so i usually just slam the numbers in off the top of my head in the last 5 minutes of the day lol. they just use it for costing out future jobs

although the lady that handles payroll will apparently withhold your pay if you don't submit it on time (end of the week) which is obvious super illegal (we use an actual punch clock for labour payroll) but i haven't had it come up yet so i haven't said anything

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol gently caress, this is why I read this thread. It reminds me that I don't want to go look for a higher paying job at a big corp because it's not worth it. I like seeing the president of my company every day and chatting with him and he's just a regular guy who doesn't demand I eat, sleep, and breath corporate values

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol loving moron workers, they should know better than to expect praise and bonuses

- management, probably

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

My work was never forced into a wfh routine but they allowed and encourage(d) it, so I still do it sometimes for half days so I can be at home with my kids more. I usually go out for a drive after the work day regardless of whether it's a commute to home or just a drive around/to the store when I'm working from home. I've never experienced the "meditative" drive that some people do, I'm just a passionate driver and love driving :shobon:. I daily drive a classic car so it's a different sort of enjoyment but I totally get that people miss their commutes. I can see that middle manager types are using it with corporate speak to get people back in the office so owners don't realize those managers are completely pointless and redundant, but it's totally legit that people like their daily commutes.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Scientastic posted:

I don't really understand why any business would want to have people working in an office. Surely keeping a fancy office is a massive expense? Wouldn't it be better to have a smaller office that people can book for meetings etc. but then let them work from home the rest of the time? I generally trust my team to do their jobs, and I have very clear and obvious metrics that would show if they weren't.

I'm guessing that the concern is that people will slack off without having someone over their shoulder the entire time, but I don't care if they achieve what they need to in a few hours and spend the rest of their day playing video games or looking after their kids or whatever, as far as I'm concerned, they're paid for the results they get, not the hours they do to achieve those results.

This is an atypical managerial mindset, that's why.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Dumb poo poo my work recently did: hire someone for a data entry position heavy on Excel & formulas who has had to ask me, multiple times, how "greater than" and "less than" signs work.
Not promising.

lol why would you say this out loud? being too dumb to know to just google your dumb questions you should know the answer to for work is the real red flag here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Althalin posted:

To begin with, there was some awkward tension because I, the lowly engineering intern, reported directly to the VP, rather than to the engineering manager. Why such a vertical structure was required for 4 full-time employees, I have no clue.

I spent about 1 day a week reading PDFs of Asimov books that someone'd left on the company share drive (which, of course, had no perms - including the HR "department" files)

lol

Althalin posted:

A follow-up issue is that they only had one laptop to loan; I was the first engineering intern they'd ever had, the previous interns had been in sales. Because I had, essentially, a sales computer, CAD was completely out of the question, as was getting a license in any reasonable amount of time. So they had me make drawings in (I poo poo you not) Visio, and one of the actual engineers would re-draw them in CAD.

lmao