Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
We have a paid social media person. They post twice a day or so. The posts average below 1 like each, meaning they don't even like their own posts, let alone have anyone else like them.

...much like me on SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Paying me to post on SA is also pretty dumb, but they don't know they're doing it.

Also, if anyone guessed that the social media person is related to the HR manager, nice work you aced it.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Play posted:

I mean, it's true that at that point you're extremely unlikely to spread or get covid. Still, what a stupid loving policy. Not everyone you see will instantly understand that you've been vaccinated. Masks until the whole workplace is vaccinated (assuming customers or others aren't coming through your workspace) would make a lot more sense.

The best vaccine effectiveness, for 2 doses, is about 95%. "Extremely unlikely" is an overstatement, especially with other strains around some of which reduce effectiveness.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

genericuser posted:

Apparently, reporting lines are sooo last century.

We are forbidden from talking about who we report to or mentioning reporting lines. I am not making this up.

Narcotics gang? Espionage agency? Some kind of pretend holacracy?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Barudak posted:

I got an award for most positive emailer...

Someone was reading every email from your company, scoring them for positivity, and adding it all up??

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Zarin posted:

I just like my dashes for my own personal garbage :(

Dashes are correct, pure, and good. Also unambiguous and makes some errors more obvious. Dash with pride.

That said I always go with FINAL v2 if I have the chance :evilbuddy:

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Xaintrailles posted:

We have a paid social media person...

We're getting rid of the social media person!
...and replacing them with a marketing person despite having tried this 4 times before and none of the marketing people ever even coming close to bringing in enough money to cover their own salary.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My sister is a video editor. She sent this screenshot with a caption like: "This is what you get when teenagers try to keep track of the versions!"

Final copy pro

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Bright Bart posted:

No clue how any of this worked. Different parts of the hospital overbilling other parts of the hospital for their services is weird.

A client of ours can't ever change out the crap database they make us use, because their department would have to spend £100k on internal IT project management, which would be spending twice as much as the database costs to hire people who know nothing about it.

teen witch posted:

Lmao just def heard someone on an interview being asked a likely illegal question hahahaha great

I found an almost certainly illegal policy today! But it was immediately pulled and will probably get fixed.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Meme Poker Party posted:

So from the outside perspective, the government had dropped a contractor it was unhappy with and hired a new contractor to replace them. In real terms, nothing had changed except but a sign on the door and one new manager at the intermediary.

This is the economy lol.

Entire EU works this way, employee contracts are maintained across transfers. This is why I have an extremely sweet redundancy package, it's a poison pill for anyone taking us over and restructuring.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

cynic posted:

Dumb poo poo from a previous job: I once negotiated for a pay rise. I was getting under market value and asked for about 12% I think, plus offered to take on some more responsibility. Their counteroffer was; you can have 6% but noone else in your department will get a pay rise this year.
I would have countered back with 20% and give them a pay cut.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Goons in do-nothing jobs means More Posts, an automatic net social good (my posts excluded).

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Annual performance review time here. HR has been really pushing SMART goals for the past year - Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely.

I love these because it makes it clear that 95% of what we do is not SMART.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Test your backups are restorable and snoop the backups.

Dumb poo poo my work does: not test backups.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Every month I have to manually message three people in the right order to unlock access to a database that I can’t do my job without. The access expires silently so once a month someone asks me to do something urgently and I suddenly can’t. In an effort to improve this, they made a Jira system to request access. Now I have to make a ticket AND manually message three people.

Automate sending the emails requesting access back?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Imagined posted:

No matter how they insist to the contrary I always assume that those kind of "anonymous" employee surveys:

1) Are not anonymous and in fact carefully tracked

They said our HR surveys were anymous but they were obviously tracked with a unique URL per user. I logged into our SurveyMonkey account to confirm this (I have a legitimate reason to access it) and raised it with the HR director. They changed the SurveyMonkey password, didn't give me the new one, and kept doing tracked surveys and saying they were anonymous.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t even wanna do my job now, get me the gently caress out so I can never look at this poo poo again.

I resigned today. Yay, I am free! ... to go to another job ... in 90 days time.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

SkyeAuroline posted:

Finally got to actually implement a software solution to automate an hour or two of work done multiple times daily today and holy poo poo, let me tell you what a relief it is to make SOME progress on it, even if it isn't for me (for another coworker who's been doing manual Excel work). Actual improvement to a process.

... We find out Monday if she gets to keep it as a tool or not. Odds are she'll keep using it even if it gets shot down, because why the hell wouldn't you? The fact it's even a question is telling though. Meanwhile I just have to figure out how the VBA tools in Excel handle the UI so I can make it more user friendly at some point (instead of "run this script from the VBA editor").

https://www.howtoexcel.org/vba/how-to-add-a-form-control-button-to-run-your-vba-code/
Can confirm this works with people who literally cannot log into a web page.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Atopian posted:

I mean, dude still needed to do X.
If I were the dude, and assuming that X was a legitimate requirement of my position, I'd probably just hotkey up something to automatically open a ticket about it with a single keypress, then hit the button whenever I came up against that problem in the course of my work.

Maybe he didn't - stuff like this is pretty often an https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

For the swollen batteries thing I would try going through the fire safety person.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

It's a shame that computers don't come with LEDs for hard drive/CPU/RAM at capacity.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Tackling important edge cases will be an MVP priority? Give it up, you don’t work in software!

IDK, putting in all that effort just to reinvent the wheel certainly sounds a lot like working in software.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

I worked with someone who was deliberately trying to bus-factor themselves into permanent employment once. They had got their son to automate a mindlessly tedious bit of admin for them so they could do a week of work in a couple of hours, and they absolutely refused to share how to do this or to pick up any more work in the saved time even when told to by their manager. They were part-time so having them sit around doing nothing 2.5 days/week was still technically cost-effective.
So, I got asked to re-automate the process myself and got it down to typing in a single number. If you're going to try that play better make sure the card you're holding is good!
(They didn't even get kicked out; they quit because the office moved and they didn't want to commute, despite having a salary/effort ratio better than most CEOs).

e: vvv nah, watching the realisation on everyone's faces that they'd wasted years of salary was reward enough.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 27, 2021

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Marmaduke! posted:

(and the manager of that team who had been in for maybe one day in the last two months and basically had a panic attack and had to get an ambulance when her team said they'd be doing no more unpaid overtime).

lol

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Barudak posted:

I've been tasked with politely putting a pillow over the face of our social media account and pushing down until it dreams forever

This isn't the smart poo poo your work does thread.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

If I ever find myself in the egg place I'll be fine, because I'll be masturbating.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

I thought Yahoo's Marissa Mayer.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

goatsestretchgoals posted:

No, it’s the butt plug on a pole thread.

Nice action.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Local Weather posted:

I've noticed something about the company I'm working for now. We have this whole thing where we are all (company name)-ians and collectively we're the (Company Name) Nation. In the past I would have looked upon such a thing with derision and scorn and in fact when I started with this organization the first time I ever heard it I was like "get a load of this" but after a while, once I decided that I actually liked working here I started to like the whole Nation and -ians thing.

At my last company I would have told them to shove it.

If the company name is Russia then I'm afraid you may have been recruited into espionage.
Glad you're enjoying it!

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

kissekatt posted:

However, the largest contributor to our low hygiene score is that we don't disinfect our hands before dealing with patients, which again is a difficult thing to do because we don't deal with patients.

This seems fixable... I have ticked so many compliance boxes with "if this thing that never happens does happen, we will totally do X, look here's the policy saying we'll do X (which I wrote and no-one else has ever read)."

e: I'm going to name this technique "divide-by-zero compliance."

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 21, 2021

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Outrail posted:

FYI youre supposed to make a criminally low bid without taking into account all sorts of stupid scenarios* outlined in the 'Assumptions' fine text. Once you have the job submit dozens of cost variations due to unforeseen circumstances.

* Poor weather
* Increasing base material costs
* Tuesdays
* Staff capacity issues
* Site access impediments
* Cows
* Fridays
* Other circumstances beyond our control

I was surprised the force majeure clause in every contract I've ever seen hasn't been getting invoked all over the place. They typically specifically include pandemics.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

InsertPotPun posted:

my email is now hidden behind two party authentication. to check emails i have to request they text my boss and wait for my boss to get back to me with the pass code to log in.
and i can't send emails now.
he blames me for "clicking emails".
the last time something hosed up he took away my administrative privileges so i can't even update my computer let alone download something.
i have no idea who he gets computer advice from but the only thing i can do on the computer now is surf online.

Just want to say I appreciate this rare and correct use of "two party authentication."

Also lol at many of these posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Can you just take a COVID self-test and register it as positive?