Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Salt Fish posted:

My boss has a wall of several hundred funko pops setup behind him in an obviously proud display which he uses to frame video calls and every time I see it I inhale in a shaky way like I imagine you do right before you die.

Do you work in a virginity factory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Our CEO just sent out a blast saying that the FTC does not require us to put hoity toity gibberish like city, state and zip code of the business on our packaging and that we shouldn't get carried away with "compliance" for "compliance's" sake. REALLY HATE THIS INDUSTRY.

THANKS FOR THE LOSING POWERBALL AND MEGA MILLIONS HASHEM. YOU ONLY BETRAYED JESUS ONCE, YOU gently caress ME TWICE A WEEK.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

teen witch posted:

I once had to contact someone in Sweden (where I’m based as well) who had a really off the wall Eisenhower quote as his auto reply, justifying not answering emails promptly and ~at his leisure~. I then emailed him again in Swedish a few days later and he got back to me in under ten min. It was genuinely urgent, drå åt helvete Eisenhowerjävel.

Am I confusing you with someone else or aren't you from Long Island? How'd you get to Sweden?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

My main weakness is that I work too hard.

My main weakness is energy weapons.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Our dipshit IT guy gives us 2 whole gigs of inbox space. I deal with packaging files and huge powerpoints. Google gives you 100 gigs for 2 buxxx a month. I have to delete poo poo everyday and frequently can't look things up because it had to be destroyed to make room for more kilobytes. Diriculous

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

goatface posted:

Stop sending big files as attachments.

I don't! But I work with 50 + year old ladies who don't know how to resize images. I'm in consumer packaged goods.

edit: I only work about 5-10 hrs a week and get paid for 40 so I shouldn't complain.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Rockman Reserve posted:

i work 100 hours a week and the C-levels tell me my DSLs are pretty when they're done

Is there a way to read this where you're not talking about your dick sucking lips? I know DSL was direct service line or something but if you're being abused at work it's ok to ask for help.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I have a coworker who sends emails with important item information under subjects like "Update" and "new items" and "following up" and it makes me so mad I feel like I'm gonna explode here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Hey, can you get these 80 items with only vague descriptions and no details costed from CHINA over night?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Two jobs ago I was so checked out that I used outlook to simply block dumb people I didn't like in the company from emailing me and wasting time.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I have this woman whose job is making BOMs and she only makes BOMs for half the items and uses descriptors for the rest. Uses small, medium and mini interchangeably. Then acts shocked that the product size doesn't match the artwork. Like.....c'mon. Just make the loving BOMs.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Bill of materials you yokels

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
busty ol' milfs

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lazyfire posted:

I'm sorry, what? Is she referencing sub-assembly drawings and not properly referencing them? A BOM isn't half guesswork/open to interpretation. Besides As Required designations or Alternate part numbers it's supposed to be an exact thing telling you the dash number, make from and quantity.

This poo poo is in my brain today because our Space Systems team sent us a drawing this morning and I ended up spending five hours typing out an email explaining why it was unmanufacturable.

ummmm i work in arts and crafts so way more simple than that. We are selling clothespins to walmart. She specced "small clothespins" and sent a variety of samples to my factory in China. When she should have made a BoM that said they were 6cm x 0.7cm x 1.5 cm or whatever the art/samples were cuz the factory just ordered the smallest clothespin in the array of samples and assigned it to the item number. I mentioned this would be a problem at the time of sourcing and never got a response. Now it's a month later and she's flabbergasted because the factory was sent art two weeks ago, oh me oh my, two weeks!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lazyfire posted:

I don't think it should be much different. You should have half pieces with sizes, a spring per size and an assembly with two halves plus the right spring per size. If she just assumed sending something to a Chinese factory and asking for replication would produce a viable product then she hosed up. I've done that before and it ended poorly.

Yeah, it doesn't even get that complicated since these items are all available on the open market and the Chinese I deal with are all trading company people since I lack boots on the ground. The clothespins already exist. Even just having the component dimensions in the description on the line list would have avoided this but I'm dealing with a corporate culture where it's ok to send an email with the subject: "Items". They come from publishing and are new to sourcing/manufacturing products. Everyone here thinks China is a magical place where you send them a jpeg and get back containers full of what was in the photo and they are southerners and I am in NJ so every time I point out stuff like this I'm considered rude.

On the plus-side I started working a second full-time job for a flower grower and everything's domestic and the company seems really nice and competent.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Shop-rite, wegmans, Burlington coat factory and my local climbing gym are all great sources of BOMs.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

d0s posted:

I love it when people are just shocked when the lowest bidder chinese factory they chose sends an order where half the items are out of tolerance and smell like cigarettes, or a component is upside down on a few thousand PCBs. like every chinese factory is the one cranking out iphones

lol one time i had to go do an inspection with my wife to a partygoods vendor and some idiot at my company had sold them like a million units of paper plates for 70 grand deliverable within 40 days and of course every unit had, yeah, literal cigarette ash and just factory grime in it. And they wanted all their money back, so my company sends us to verify the claim which is of course true

but we drive there and the place is in Goshen New York and it's a hasidic operation and the first guy I meet, who is dressed like what most goyum would picture a rabbi to look like, my wife (small chinese immigrant and normally shy) just confidently pumps this dudes unoffered hand like "HI! HOW ARE YA? NICE TO KNOW YA!" and he recoils in disgust and runs away and so I had to explain hasidic jews to her and why no one will make eye contact with her let alone speak to her and she was like "these jews are very sexist, I hate them"

It was pretty funny. And the enteman's museum was right there so it wasn't a bad trip.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Most of my experience with alibaba has lead me to believe that the party should have made apublic example out of Ma and that the whole thing is a scam because that entire site is worse than wothless and can't have any value, at all.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

The Butcher posted:

I worked at one in a city that only gets like a week of snow a year, so there isn't a lot of snow clearing trucks, and many drivers have no experience with driving in snow. So it was always a poo poo show of crashes and the roads getting utterly hosed. Like every googdamned street across the city in google maps will be deep red.

Despite the weather report calling for snow and the drat hourly forecast saying it should start around 1, and being able to see it moving in on the radar and extrapolate that yup, it's going to start around 1...

Without fail my manager would be walking around with his coffee and when it started to fall would go to the windows and be like "Hey everyone! The snow is starting!" Then some time later "Wow! It's really coming down! and sticking to the road!"

And then wait for it to get like 1cm deep on the roads before being like "hey everyone, let's cut it short and finish the day from home."

Every loving time. Infuriating. You knew this was coming down to the hour. You've just put everyone into unnecessary danger and in for a hell commute.

What the hell man?

This is why the good lord invented punching folks in the stomach.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
A company I work for just got hacked, twice. Haven't had email all week. Today I get a text saying email is back...... for phones. Just put it on your phone and sign in. No gently caress you, if you're not buying me a phone, I ain't putting work email on it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

AHH F/UGH posted:

Word just came down as well here

Maybe meaning we can stay perma-WFH? Yet to be seen but our department is a prime candidate for it, even though my boss says he looks forward to us going back to the office, probably because he's a boomer-type and thinks there's some nobility in working a long, boring day's work.

I still have three more interviews to do and the last one I was told the salary was $45,000 a year, so I told them I was already getting $55,000 (not true obviously) and they were like "oh well... the position is posted for $45,000" and I said "yeah okay, well if they have a counter offer let me know". Like, it seemed like they were surprised that someone highballed their offer for some reason.

You should do what I do. I was getting 55 remotely for a barely hours per day job and then got an office job in a nice flower company for the exact same salary for similar work & they were cool with me keeping the first job concurrently. 5 days in office but it's cuz i'm new. Will make one day WFH and 4 in office starting next week.

I get paid for 80 hours. Every week. It's nice. This is my new thing.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

AHH F/UGH posted:

That’s cool and you will be loaded but at the same time, I’m trying to find a way to somehow work 0 hours a week from home and make just enough to survive comfortably than actually work 50 hours a week but get paid for 80. My main motivation here isn’t money but rather to find a way to not really work. I don’t have a very expensive lifestyle and I’ve already got way more hobbies and interests than I have time for, even working from home.

Same. I do maybe 3 hours a day tops between both jobs. Now I just gotta transition the one role to remote, which could take some time but will be worth it. You gotta find one minimal time sink remote job and then find another. Could take a while but it's not impossible.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Now we gotta download a slack? What's that I can't do it? Let's just add another weekly meeting.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I was excited to be making two paychecks at the same time but my on-site job, which in no way needs to be on-site, just started hassling me for having my other company's laptop out during the day.

I need the paycheck but I can't tolerate this. Going to apply to every fully remote consumer packaged good / import export job I can find starting right now. I'm done. Hope I find something new soon. gently caress this

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Yes! I'm headed towards that same vow but w/r/t being in an office. If the only benefit is that I can be scolded for something that was OK a month ago that doesn't effect my productivity then I'm not the one that needs to adapt. Not excited about juggling two jobs and interviews but if I can land two salaries and stay at the beach then it's worth it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lascivious Sloth posted:

But are you juggling two full time jobs, or part time? and is it because you need to, or to rake in the cash? I think I could do a second full time job remotely in the same area I'm currently working in, but I don't need to and i don't know if it'd be worth working so much. Also, how do you deal with meetings that are scheduled at the same time? Many meetings it's on me to tell them when I'm free, but for my manager and their manager it would start to become suspicious if I kept changing their meeting request dates/times over and over.

It was two full time jobs. It was to rake in cash because I needed too and could. I've been lucky enough to have a remote job since March 2020, it's maybe 5-10 hours of actual work per week. So I got a second job, locally, in April to help with the debt, fifteen hundred a month childcare for our three year old and put away $ before second child is born in February. Both jobs had the exact same salary. When I interviewed I said I could take this lowered salary on the basis that I'd keep my other laptop open during the day and it wouldn't take too much of my time.

I completed all my tasks ahead of schedule BUT

On a busy day, I got enough phone calls to piss off my new job boss and having a second laptop open on my desk became a point of contention for her. She emailed me about it for the second time yesterday and I walked off site. I came in this morning and was locked out of email. It was totally a decorum thing. There was never any need to be on-site for this job to begin with.

I'm done with offices.

I am now applying for fully remote jobs

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Steakandchips posted:

Resigned.

New job almost doubles my current pay.

Current manager is not making me serve my 90 days notice, just 2 weeks.

:yotj::yotj::yotj:

congraturitos

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lascivious Sloth posted:

oh, interesting. yes, gently caress working from office. I would have just done the other job from a different browser etc. if you could, but I guess some places have monitoring software and actually look at what staff are doing. My jobs have never had time for anyone to monitor our browser use. But anyway, I'm working from home and it was a recent bilateral move, so no pay increase, but the conditions are so much better I would have taken a pay cut. Now I just do the work to achieve my goals that we agreed on, and work on my other personal projects on the side. If I ever have to go back to working ffrom office it's going to be a hard stone to swallow.

Yeah, I had considered just opening Office in a browser or setting up original company's email on my phone but I was already disliking the 5 day commute (since I got hired "post covid" there was no move to remote consideration for me) and I got the impression that this woman straight up wouldn't like me no matter how much I improved their SEO.

On the plus side, I got 2.5 months of checks out of them and now I know how easy it is to stack 9-5's in CPG operations and I plan on getting right back on the multiple salary wagon right away but fully remote.

Oh and boss woman thought she'd be non confrontational by showing up an hour later today and having someone else fire me but she was driving in as I was leaving and so I got to give her a nice out the window finger as we passed which gave the rest of a day a nice shove this jay oh bee kinda lighthearted vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyxoLqbFDkI

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

AHH F/UGH posted:

@kntfkr

My advice on that one: Google Chrome Remote Desktop. The thing is a lifesaver. I have a work laptop but now that I'm working from home I just gently caress around on YouTube and games all day on my desktop, and if I ever have to do something for my real job, I just use the remote desktop viewer. You could probably install it on your office PC for the other job's laptop and run the con that way.

I know you said you were thinking about quitting regardless but you might be able to swing it that way for the cash until you figure out what you wanna do.

I left the company/got fired/quit/ clashed with the boss too hard to keep working there. Trying to line up a fully remote position to get the income back up. Was not digging unnecessary forty minutes of driving or 8 hours of sitting a day anyway. I have a lot of time to apply for jobs off climbing gym wifi now and I still have my base income so I'm not too upset.

My wife is also an immigrant! But she's been in removal proceedings for 6 years and allowed to work; ain't the immigration system fun? Let's be friends

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
That seems like an unnecessary step.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The difference between having a bachelors on your resume or not is just a few lines of text.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

AHH F/UGH posted:

My wife has an EAD but just doesn't speak enough English to really do anything other than like, dog walking, so she doesn't know the joys of working in an office or anything like that.

The USCIS is a clusterfuck and I hate them. Not only do we have to drive 4 hours during a weekday to do a stupid interview but it takes them for-loving-ever to process anything and the costs are insane, as you know. It's taken like 5 years and $5000 to get my wife permanent resident status, so I get why people just say gently caress it and jump the fence - if you're from El Salvador or something and you have no money or hope, why not? Naturally I *love* having to take a vacation day off of my work to drive all day, too.

My wife's first lawyers were an asylum mill so that's been loving fun to deal with. One of our lawyers stopped practicing. It's been two years since a different lawyer that could have gotten us the green card just plum forgot to file anything over 6 months because he was a loving coke addict that abandoned his practice and escaped to Portugal with his clients' money. (if you're reading this Firstname Lastname, I am going to find you and rape you with a broken jack Daniels bottle everyday forever). Our last hearing was on the day of a blizzard in February, our September hearing just became November. The whole process has turned me into a flag burner. As soon as H gets the green card, I'm moving to China.

The ONLY thing that we ever got lucky on was that our proof of relationship photos were so tight that they waived us doing a scopes interview or whatever it's called.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 22, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I miss having a good ERP system.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That was so ridiculous. Trying to open 124 new stores while simultaneously debuting a new inventory system.

I was on the vendor side of that. It was a stupid clusterfuck

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My company is still freaking out about cost discrepancies and packaging flubs on items that they refuse to create BOMs for "BECAUSE WE MADE THIS YEARS AGO, THE FACTORY SHOULD KNOW." I'd take the trouble to outline a process they should follow but I don't get paid enough and the last time I spoke out of turn to tell the CEO she needed to put the company's address on packaging because laws I almost got fired.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lazyfire posted:

I spent part of this week trying to explain to management that our designers hosed up and failed to specify that a serial number needed to be put on the label for a cable harness. So for the last few days people are demanding I ship finished product that meets all of our design requirements back to the vendor to be relabled, something we could do on site. Notably, the vendor didn't do anything wrong, they labeled the parts TO OUR SPECIFICATIONS, but we've decided that we want to change it now that someone realized we hosed up and put the onus on the vendor to fix our mistake.

Two Roads Brewing bought a decommissioned milk truck to be a parking lot based fermentation tank for their Gose series. They later ended up building a new facility for their sours, but the idea of salty sour beer coming out of a giant hose attached to a tanker truck is a visual I can't get out of my head.

Same. These dumb shits in the South fail to spec' things or they do something like run prototype packaging as production and then when it catches up to them, they without fail blame the heathen Chinese. I have to communicate everything. It gets tiring.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Ugly In The Morning posted:

On the topic of salarychat, anyone have suggestions for setting a consulting rate? Safety consulting if that’s relevant.

Depends on experience. Early-mid 00's my dad was getting $600/hr expert witnessing for having 20 OSHA + 8 private sector years.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

AHH F/UGH posted:

Good poo poo your work does: pay me a barely living wage for barely working

word on that

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
la twinx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

deep dish peat moss posted:

Always address collectives of people as "y'all"

My remote team is in Arkansas and this is not only acceptable but 100 % preferred.