Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Guess who's boss was super into Myers Briggs. She's an INFJ if anyone is wondering 🤔

I can always tell when someone is scraping the barrel for a year-end goal because we have another meeting about Myers Briggs.

I hate it so drat much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

It can be scary until that first day when you wake up and don't have to go back in. That's a very special day.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Biplane posted:

Capitalism truly is the most efficient profitable way of allocating resources

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Salami Surgeon posted:

Open enrollment. HR resets the healthcare portal password every year. No 2FA.

Now here's the real question: what happens at your company when you don't make an election?

At my company they just renew whatever plan you already had... except for that one year when they changed it and if you didn't sign in and pick something you just didn't have health insurance that year. Whole lotta crying at work that winter.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Reoxygenation posted:

I've always wondered. How do people lose their loving dongles. Like how does that happen. It's meant to stay in the computer, do they fuckin play with it? What the hell is going on?

"What's a dongle? :confused:"

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Shoehead posted:

This reminds me, in college we used to sneak on each other's accounts on their network and do the old replace your desktop with a screenshot trick. And I should do it before I leave

Someone pulled this at my job and the person being pranked concluded that they had duplicates of everything on their desktop. So they did what anyone would do: select their "extra" files, delete them, empty their recycle bin, and then open a support ticket about the files on their desktop being "stuck".

Turns out they deleted months of work because they had been keeping everything on their desktop instead of the (regularly backed up) file server where work was supposed to be kept. The person who pulled the prank ended up getting written up.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

McGavin posted:

Love to sit in traffic for hours each week. It really helps me relax.

I spend an hour and half in traffic every day to drive to the office and... work with my team members who are in completely different offices in completely different time zones. I'm in Teams meetings all day. It's like working from home at work.

spookykid posted:

Do what I did, and move into one of the offices, play dumb, and just see how long it takes for someone to notice or care. Hint: they won't. I was 2 ranks lower than anyone else with an office, and I had that office for 7 years until I retired.

I didn't think this was a real phenomenon until someone at my job got brave and tried it. It worked.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Biplane posted:

Only way I would go into an office would be if I was guaranteed to be completely alone all day

But, the collaboration. The team building! :ohdear:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

If you wanna go work out of the office then go with god. But don't force me back with you.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Do you go out of your way to mock every morning person you meet every time you find out they're a morning person? Not "they're rubbing it in and making your life difficult", just the concept of a morning person existing?

If not, congratulations, you're better than the thread average for "doesn't like WFH".

For a lot of people (not everyone) working from home was the first time in our adult lives we felt the boot on our neck let up. Now it's pressing back down and some big feelings are bubbling to the surface. You may just be catching some "shrapnel".

Or maybe you've talked to some mean people. That's always in the cards.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I used Macs professionally for over a decade in a corporate environment. They can function in that space better than you might expect but if your help desk and software vendors don't support them then every PC headache you side-step is going to be replaced by one or more Mac compatibility headaches and everyone involved will "nope" out once they realize you're using a Mac.

Combo posted:

Also keep in mind none of this is part of my job title, I run the QC department. It's just if you show yourself as being capable of taking on more, they will pile more on you.
The classic workplace blunder.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 28, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Never trim the fat

The more people with jobs getting paid the less the people at the top get to keep

Now to take a big sip of coffee and look up who makes these decisions...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

My partner's work pc was getting very slow so he puts in a ticket and global IT contacts him and asks for details.

He tells them it freezes when switching between windows and global IT guy tells him he shouldn't ever need to have more than one program open.

Partner says OK, and spends the rest of the day out of office wandering around because there's nothing we can meaningfully do in our office with only one program open.

Alas, we didn't get to see the end result of his soft strike, the next morning, before we got in, local IT came and replaced his laptop.

*opens Outlook*

Well I guess that's that.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

The issue is when the others who have been asking for better poo poo (the whole graphic design team) gets nothing because the boss spent the bucks on the cnc router guy.

Skills issue.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Machai posted:

I can't. Our sysadmin quit today and he had a lot of our automations set up using his own accounts instead of a separate admin/automation account. When we disabled his accounts, things started breaking. Now we have to go through and figure out what systems use which of his accounts so we can switch them all over.

Time to start looking for a new job, friend. It's gonna take a while so sooner is better.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I've never worked anywhere that asset tagged the office chairs. Just throwing that out there.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

dreezy posted:

please help me find a cure for someonehastodoititis, i know i should just be lazy like everyone else but the stuff we do is actually good and important and needs to be done but we hired mostly people who cant do things

I never did. I burned out and left in search of a new job. Then a year later I looked back and wondered why I ever put up with that.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

This person is still in bed. Not sitting in the middle of the bed, criss-cross apple sauce or sitting up against the headboard. This motherfucker is just laying in bed and I watch them throw the covers off and hurriedly sit up when they realize the cameras on.

Unbelievable.

No webcam cover? Amateur hour.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

spincube posted:

I wish to know the secret 'this thing is 'broken', please do not fix it because i want you to tell me it is hopelessly broken' codephrase.

"I'm on a Mac/Linux."

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Oh, that reminds me of some dumb poo poo I saw at work.

If you have a problem with your boss DO NOT email their boss about it. That email is gonna get forwarded back to your boss every single time.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ravus Ursus posted:

The VP of finance fell for an email scam and sent an undisclosed sum of money to fraudsters in a foreign country.

10/10

Good lord.

Guess your IT department doesn’t do those fake phishing emails to test people, huh?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ravus Ursus posted:

She is the chain. She has no oversight or sign offs. She's the only person with access to the bank log ins and such. Even the owner doesn't know how to access any of it. And the amount isnr odd. She shot off a wire for twice the amount we're talk about back in July. It's our sole manufacturer so we're talking about everything they produced for us for Q4.

:shittypop:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ArmTheHomeless posted:

I loving just had a meeting about "meeting fatigue" on a Friday with break out rooms I'm gonna strangle myself.

Oh I'll show you a break out room! *leaves*

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

DeeplyConcerned posted:

It seems counterproductive if you’re penalized for thinking. I mean maybe I’m just slow but sometimes I take my hands off the keyboard for 5 or 15 minutes to think about what I’m doing, plan for next steps, examine alternative solutions… but maybe I’d be more productive if somebody whipped me while I did it

If an employee does work but numbers don't go up did they really even work?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Leave a wedge of cheese out and once the mouse looks like this throw it in a shipping crate labeled "To Timbuktu".

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, we're back in the office for the magic of "collaboration" too. Nobody else on my team is at my location so I'm still staring at a laptop all day and talking to everyone via Teams. Except now I have to commute two cities over and do it in a cubical for some reason.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

The plumbers at work had a big christmas party at work

Two of them got in a fist fight and one guy quit right then and there.

As long as nobody pulled a knife then the party was a success.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Craft breweries are in a never ending struggle between what they want to make and what makes money.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

McGavin posted:

I ruined the IT intern's life by telling all the boomer coworkers that he is a printer repair expert.

Dude...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Darkest Auer posted:

I work 100% from home, but I've been called several times to the office an hour away because no one else knows how to plug in an ethernet cable or turn the printer off and on again.

I used to work at a 24/7 facility and got a call in the middle of the night because someone’s monitor died. When I got there they spent several minutes explaining that they tried everything and that it wasn’t their fault. Then I reached over and turned the monitor on.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Comstar posted:

They said they tried that.

Trust me, IT uses the force. Our very presence resolves issues.

lol they actually did say that.

Also, a hard lesson every computer janitor learns sooner or later is you can’t get mad at the users even a little bit. If you do they’ll stop telling you about problems until they get too bad to ignore. Then you’ll be at someone’s desk trying to fix a huge mess and other people will walk over like, “Oh yeah, mine’s been doing that too. I just didn’t want to bother you.”

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 11, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Can't imagine cold calling in 2024.

I don't even answer calls from my wife.

I sit near a dude in sales that has to do cold calls and 99.99% of the time he never even gets to finish his first sentence before they hang up on him. It's rough as hell to listen to.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 18, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Domus posted:

There’s an opposite to this problem too. The other day I went to call a customer, and the guy answered the phone, yelled “I’m not buying what you’re selling!” and hung up.

He then called the next week upset, because we never called to tell him his order was ready.

Hmm, seems like everyone getting 20+ scam phone calls every day for the last decade has undermined a vital piece of infrastructure.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Barudak posted:

Company hired someone who first day stated "I do not wish to work" and just hasnt for the last two weeks. They still clock in and out but they refuse all tasks.

HR has taken a firm, proactive stance of "nothing can be done about this"

Sounds like they've got this whole thing figured out.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Oh yeah, that’s a trap every time. HR will not keep your secrets.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I remember working for a company that did employee satisfaction surveys and any time our team had low numbers we got put in a conference room and told to come up with a long term plan to get our numbers up.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Coming in to the office and finding out someone stole your desk is just another opportunity for collaboration and team building. 🤗

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Here's a fun little exercise. If there's anyone at your company who writes emails like they're a cave man try to go watch them type some time. You'll probably solve the mystery.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

:hmmyes:

dont work cheap, dont work free. you diminish yourself and set terrible expectations for your collegues.

I had a coworker that would show up to work early and when I asked him about it he said, “If you want to be successful you need to be the first one to show up and the last one to leave.”

He was hourly and the time clock wouldn’t let anyone clock in until the start of their shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I usually start with, “Hey, do you have time for a question?” and now I’m worried that’s too close to a drive-by “Hi”. But hitting someone with an out of the blue question in chat feels like a rude interruption.