Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Rytheric posted:

I just have horrible impulse control, so I lock my money away from myself. I unlocked it though for this property purchase though so I'm trying not to squander it lol.
literally one week later:

Rytheric posted:

I accidently set up a $500 date in the immediate future though
rytheric, i love you, this will not end well.

have you looked into the idea of a spendthrift trust? because even you acknowledge that unless physically prevented from doing so you will piss away every penny you earn, and blowing five hundred dollars on a first date when you have heavy monetary obligations in the extremely near term is quite literally self-harm from an economic standpoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Goosey Lee posted:

“Spend an hour+ sharpening the chisels you’ll use all day” is the least outlandish thing posted in this thread.

exactly, and its not like you start the day and sit there sharpening for over an hour straight; like rytheric said you do it when you notice performance drop off i.e. work a half hour, take a five minute sharpening break, work a half hour, take a sharpen; ten minutes of sharpening for every hour of work shapes out to over an hour of sharpening for a full work day

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
remember how you were scammed out of pretend money for mining permits and everybody had a good laugh and you got your money back?

the seller is scamming you and he will absolutely not give any of the real actual money back

the land isnt even worth five grand; youve already mathed out it would take *at least* ten grand in cash alone to get it even marginally livable (not even counting labor which you absolutely should be figuring at your hourly rate with your company; your time is not 'free' no matter how much youve been convinced otherwise)

but really real talk? right now the land is worthless because you are the only actually interested buyer

yes boo hoo you have to move your ship but this is outright theft and he knows you are an easy mark

walk away from this and find a new spot

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Rytheric posted:

So the owner backed down to 10k. He doesn't have an agent though anymore. So im going to contact my lawyer Tuesday's to see if they can draw something up contigent on the county accepting the perc test.

In the very least it's a nice place to park my truck lol.

again,, the seller is scamming you; all of this testing is stuff the *seller* should be paying for, not you

this is a two-layer scam,, and you really really need a buyer's agent

please get an agent that is wholly unconnected to the seller or the seller's property; if you are pig-insistent on rooting for this at the very least drop your offer to five thousand for all of the trouble that is happening

rytheric you are a sweet golden retriever of a man and they are taking advantage of your good nature

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
hey rytheric could you please ask the lawyer you meet with about the concept of a spendthrift trust or similar financial vehicles

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Rytheric posted:

Any thoughts on how to fix this issue?

cut your losses, sell the truck, and get a reliable car

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
rytheric you still havent explained *why* you are soulbonded to the truck you got scammed into buying, merely *that* you are

what will happen if you get rid of it before it dies its final death (remember: this truck already was totaled and deemed worthless by people whose *entire job* it is to correctly quickly and accurately assess worth as measured in real actual money dollars)

every penny you spend on parts and every second of labor you put in (again, measured at your hourly rate for external employment) is part of the sale price that you did not figure into the sale calculations because the scammer dangled a 'limited time offer' lure

there is no such thing as a limited time offer when it comes to actual reputable and reliable transactors; it is always a red flag waving to get you to blindly charge ahead

rytheric please get yourself a spendthrift trust and stop throwing your money into a firepit

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, I'm going to echo PathAsc on this one:

Miranda Rights exist for a reason, and that reason is because cops can and will haul you in and look for a confession to close a case, and have no qualms doing that at 4AM in the morning while you are groggy and not in your right mind. Any 1L worth their salt will tell you that murder is not something you intend to do, but a legal definition that is determined in a court of law. Thanks to federalism and 50 different states, those definitions can have a wide range of exceptions and addendums. If you want a gun to protect your property, that is your choice. You just have to be willing to face the consequences that come from owning one while living in a truck.

to further add to this heien v north carolina established that ignorance of the law is completely 100% an excuse if you are a cop

so yeah dont trust cops about the law ever and ESPECIALLY not in north carolina

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Rytheric posted:

I have ADD myself. Usually it's okay though.

EasilyConfused posted:

Rytheric posted:
accidently bought a large $2000 telescope.

Rytheric posted:
accidently bought an armful of books and an electric violin.

Rytheric posted:
accidently set up a $500 date in the immediate future though. Was going to take her on a pedicure date since she is on her feet all day for work and accidently referred to it as a spa date.

Rytheric posted:
accidently volunteered myself for too much work and I'm drowning. Going to have to pull a weekender and grovel at some point.

Rytheric posted:
accidently depleted the groverBattery to the point my inverter doesn't want to charge it

Rytheric posted:
accidently spend $800-1200 a month on food.

Rytheric posted:
accidently eating 10k MG of sodium a day

ellie the beep fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

um excuse me posted:

It was my interpretation that his boss and this thread seem to agree on a lot.

his boss is the one who advised him to treat his 401k like a piggy bank