Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

I understand everyone is watching this thread like it is a slow motion train wreck, but I've got to second a lot of what Motronic's said here.

I was bit by the timber framing bug, met Jack Sobon himself, got my book autographed, and sought out work timber framing. A 16 by 12 "shed" with a loft. 32 loving rafters. Working with 3 X 5 timbers we milled ourselves from pine trees we harvested that day. Green as a timber can be. This is an important distinction because as soon as your timbers begin to cure in the slightest regardless of power tools you will be sharpening chisels for an hour each day. Your timbers will turn into bananas regardless of how well you sticker them and "prevent moisture intrusion". Do me a favor, Ry, and take a video of you laying out a 36" brace with shoulder. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

um excuse me posted:

Your build had 6 inch center spacing or am I missing something?

Eaves exist. 16 per side of the structure. The take-away, however should be the amount of laborious yet precise work required on each, even when you're being paid to do so. It's not like riding a bike where you can walk away for a week. You WILL have to reteach yourself if you haven't been doing it for 20 years. Which is how long it will take Ry without a circular saw, corded drills, and "bigger chisels".

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

dervinosdoom posted:

Motronic, please never stop posting. :allears:

Just wait until Ry decides to cast his own 8" Timber-loks in sand because they're too expensive and mortising sucks.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

This is like reading a goddamn Greek Tragedy. This is the ancient text of the future. Our descendants will recite our watchful wisdom to their children in a post apocalyptic hellspace, safe within the confines of their box truck to keep out predatory beasts.

"And why don't we light a fire in the concrete-wheel box truck?"

The children exclaim: "We don't want to be like Ry-Guy!"

"What else?"

The children pause before shouting: "It would destroy our observatory!"

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

Jr. posted:

You're essentially inventing an RV Socratically and it kind of hurts to see it with so many missteps when RVs/trailers already exists and are easy to base your own designs off of, but the current plan appears to be "glue wheels to a house". You're building it the way you'd build a regular house, except those aren't subject to the physics of motion, and aren't heated by internal combustion engines from 25 years ago with cooling systems ready to rupture and poisonous exhaust positioned right where your fresh air should be coming from.

I understand the new found tone of the thread but to put this into context the "house" he's building on wheels isn't even close to what an RV provides. For example, this gentleman's sleeping quarters dimensions can best be described as the width of two unbuilt timber framed portashitters. Should he throw a shed roof off of those conjoined cess pits, that is where you'll find the ghost of a sawn off 50 gallon drum, screening blowing in the breeze, and raccoons feasting on fried chicken bones.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

Rytheric posted:

Lol. Im have someone else shape the Timbers so I don't have to deal with that. Thanks for checking it out though. Didnt know if anyway one was going to get it and follow along haha. Maybe we could have a book club and the constructionalist can point out potential missing information lol.

I didn't want to DOXX myself earlier in this thread. No one "shapes" timbers. You have them milled from logs and subsequently "cut" your frame. I alluded to my experience having taken a course with Jack Sobon (incidentally sleeping in a pop up camper for a week). The only way timber framing is remotely economical is with access to free logging rights, a mill you own, and a vast array of power tools (not even a chain mortise, just a loving corded drill). I have cut and constructed one tree-house, two barns, and two sheds, all new construction. I have helped restore six barns in New England, several of which date to the late 18th century. I am a member of the Timber Framing Guild.

If you mean "shaping" as in you'll have a pre-cut timber frame to be delivered on site and you construct it that shouldn't take more than a day with a few cases of beers and a few buddies. If instead you mean a cut list that you will single handedly lay out and cut by hand with "big chisels" and whatever monstrosity of a saw you butchered your truck framing with ...

I can just envision a pile of once noble trees turned into thousands of dollars worth of mycelium substrate on property you don't own while you chant "Earth-ship!" in a plume of exhaust with hopes your CPAP runs overnight. Timber framing has become a rich man's game akin to lobster, in far more ways than one. loving. Stick. Build. Your. Shack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

Motronic posted:

Surely this time he will listen!

Narrator Voice: He didn't.

I think with the maturation of the forums you'll agree this is no longer about conversing with Ry but rather warning the few people reading this thinking, "this guy might be on to something!"