Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Be careful with that secret knowledge, OP. You're dealing with things beyond your comprehension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Sorry for spoiling the ending...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
OP, have you ever considered building a boat made entirely of small stones? Stones are pretty sturdy AND fire-resistant. The perfect material for a boat, when you think about it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

Its different though. Like yeah my bedding may smell like ash, but at least fecal matter spray is not wafting itself onto the bread in the kitchen or on my bed, and the humidity from the shower or boiling water isn't creating a mold culture everywhere in the house. Ultimately though I dont know if I can tolerate my bedding and clothes smelling of ash though. You may have convinced me that the firepit is a bad idea unless I make it smokeless like a charcoal pit or something.

So you're going to have one house to take a shower, one house to cook, one house to take a poo poo, and one more to sleep?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

Thats kind of the natural order of things. When I was living in the woods for a bit, a common rule of thumb was "Dont poo poo where you eat, don't eat where you sleep, and don't ever poo poo the bed." How this played out was you'd set up a sleeping tent somewhere about a mile from the river or creek. Then you would cook, eat, clean near the creek. Then you'd dig a cat hole to poo poo and cover up about a mile of so from either location (and preferably downstream). You can see this play out on the first season of Alone where the winner did what I described where as one of the former pathfinder school teachers was eating in camp which invited a mountain lion to investigate his campsite. Where I was camping in the woods there were 3 bears in the vicinity and a couple fox. You dont eat or poo poo where you sleep in bear country!

How this would work out in a detached living environment would be to have a shower house where you poop and shower, have a house where you sleep. Then have a gazebo you cook and eat at.

Here is a reference to the lifestyle I'd like:
https://youtu.be/Hr5s0ps9rAQ

You're not camping out, you're going to live there, lmao. A bear is not going to break into your house, just because you have a toilet under the same roof with your bed. If anything, it's more likely to sniff you out, because various smells from the toilet and the gazebo kitchen can be easier carried by the wind when they're not behind several doors, walls, and a roof. And then you can't even take a poo poo at night, because there's a bear trying to hump your outhouse.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm thinking a wooden barrel over the firepit.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBJ3kcBL_Tg

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
How many car batteries a month do you need to stay warm?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

freelop posted:

Ry you should get multiple trailers for the truk with different functions (eg a totally soundproofed generator trailer, a mobile hydroponics garden, animal stable) thus forming the Ryder Road Truk-train.

At night you could park it in a defensive circle like old West wagons around the timber shitter

Snowpiercer, but not even remotely sustainable and perpetually on fire.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

Man yall have been busy while I've been protecting lakes from farmers. I may have a timber shitter, but at least I'm not throwing heating oil tanks and tires into a creek.

Where do you throw your tyres then?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Why not grow cultivated potatoes? Let ducks eat their potatoes, we have human potatoes now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

Lol. Im not trying to hide the thing. Im allow to have it.

People are allowed to have genitals, but we still prefer to hide them.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I knew it was a Big Money Salvia bit!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AdmiralViscen posted:

I’m glad “buy a gun to kill people who poke their head into this seemingly abandoned doorless vehicle” is no longer among your goals

It's not a goal, it's just a means to an end.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Digital Prophet posted:

Don't spread yourself too thin. French doors are expensive.

You can always buy the cheaper Belgian doors.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This is going to royally screw up your back, OP. Reconsider.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ah, okay, it's too late already, carry on then.

But seriously, consult a doctor.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mewse posted:

Seriously. I made a rough blueprint of the new design

Lmao.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A couple of centuries ago people used to build houses without cranes all the time. Surely, one could easily replicate these ancient techniques.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Here's an idea. You make a huge dirt mound, then dig a hole in the middle where the building goes, and bam, you've got easy access to the top of the building. Just lower all building parts down in the right order and remove the rest of the dirt when the house is done.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

Here is a pic of the doors. Unfortunately I left them outside last night not expecting it to rain so I'm hoping they don't warp lol. Poor photo quality to satiate someones impatience lol.

You've installed them wrong, mate. Your door leads down, and it should lead, like, forward.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Motronic posted:

helicraft? towercraft?

My grovercraft is full of eels.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Trees stay outside in the forest all the time, and they're just fine. The doors are made of trees, nothing could possibly happen to them.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If nature wanted us to use tools like saws and chisels, it wouldn't have given us teeth.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's a bad number of volts. You don't want it to be an even number.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Good news, guys. I'm buying the Golden Gate Bridge, and the price is REALLY good.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hm. So I've run into some issues with completing the deal on the Golden Gate Bridge. It's a minor setback, really. I'll just need to remortgage the house to get the money needed for the down payment, but it should be smooth sailing from there.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I forgot to mention the hell portal connecting the property to the sulphur dimension from which bemons (beast demons) invade our reality every full moon. It also smells of sulphur, but not too strongly, so it shouldn't be a big issue.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

so the story on this one was that i went to chicago to see a lady friend I had met from a vegan facebook page i was on for a while and went to do a week long fast with her while fixing up her condo and her car because she let things fall apart and her friends were the kind that would say they would do something, but never get around to do it. It was kind of bad.

anyway, i went to switch out her brakes, but i didn't bring the tool sets i got from o'rielly's that i acquired while working on my truck and boat which included my jack and jack stands. so i decided to borrow tools, but they autostores there wouldnt let one work in their parking lot nor would they lend out jacks or jack stands. I had just bought a plane ticket, so i figured if i was careful, i could get by without buying a jack or jack stands and just use the jack supplied with the car.

well everything was going good until i had to tighten one of the caliper bolts that required roughly 200 ft lbs. unfortunately that was enough to pull the whole car forward off the jack. Luckily i knew not to position myself under the car nor have my hand under the lower part of the car. Still the bumper pushed my neck towards the ground and pinned my hand under a fender which tore my flesh as i ripped it out to get unpinned. I got a jack from the neighbor an finished then back back the next day to do the drum breaks, but after that I was thinking about the suspension on GroverTruk, and was like, ehhh, i dont have any level ground to set jackstands on to keep them from tipping over, so i was going to use cinderblocks instead while torquing down bolts.

It's always nice when people learn from their extremely awful life-threatening mistakes.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Woooooooah, we're half way there
Woah-woah, pissing in a we-ell

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ellie the beep posted:

hey rytheric could you please ask the lawyer you meet with about the concept of a spendthrift trust or similar financial vehicles

Vehicles, financial and not, seem to have a thing against Ry.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Relax, after stepping on a mine and losing both legs, I am now much more cautious about navigating mine fields. In fact, for my next mine field expedition, I'm taking four bowling balls to throw around and check for mines.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've never looked under a car in my entire life, so I assume it's a healthy amount of rust on everything there.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

serious gaylord posted:

Why not jack the truck up with a bouncy castle? That way when the spring explodes it simply bounces back into place.

Or just sell the truck and live in a bouncy castle.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

This just made me imagine having a smoke stack puffing out the exhaust above the box only to have my Maxaire fan draw it back into my room lol.

Yeah, just buy a really long snorkel instead.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

Look. Im not getting rid of the GroverTruk unless it just flat out dies beyond repair. Even then, I'm not going to go after an ambulance or a skoolie. They don't meet my needs. I have no intention of idling a vehicle to charge my batteries except as an emergency situation, and I'd rip all the cabinets and such out of an ambulance to insulate it. For a bus the amount of windows and it being encase in metal (only the roof is metal in the box of GroverTruk) make them wasteful to heat. Most earthships designs I've seen call for only 30-40% windows. The GroverTruk will be roughly at that and it's more insulated than an ambulance or typical skoolie.

The only option I see that's better than a box truck for me is an encased trailer and a pickup. Unfortunately, price wise GroverTruk was cheaper than the enclosed trailer-truck combo, and I needed to do something to keep my sanity. As someone mentioned earlier about living with my boss. Having a place of my own to come home to and relax is something I had for over a decade of my life. I use to shelter people when they were down trodden. Now I can't. That has been eating me for a while. Even right before moving in with my boss I was housing a co-worker through a divorce.

I have lived In GroverTruk for over 5 months now and I am starting to get that dignity back and to me thats more important than twiddling my thumbs doing nothing. I am proud to sleep under a roof surrounded my 4 walls that I insulated and to be toasty warm under my covers moreso than I can in the house that wastes incredible amounts of energy for a puff of heat. I have survived the fall and bulk of the winter in this thing without much issue.

Yes, I will extend the bloody exhaust. Now that I know that I'm returning it to stock, I don't have any reservations about the performance, and it will assuage yals concerns that there may be lingering co or that I may forget to stay out of the vehicle while idling.

GroverTruk is my ride til it dies. The only better option would be a pickup + enclosed trailer for me.

Also not getting rid of the telescope. That thing is going to last me and keep me happy for many years to come.

4 walls?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I hope it really is just some goon who found an abandoned truck, made a bunch of photos, and is now having fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fermented Tinal posted:

Please dear god tell me you did not take a loan out for this piece of poo poo, Ry.

Rytheric posted:

It's a shortish long story. But $2000. I gave the guy an extra $500 to hold on to it until I got the money out of my stock portfolio as I had competition from other tiny curious diyers. I also got scammed during this transaction, but thats another story.

Are you brave enough to venture into the depths of what's in his portfolio?