Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Elviscat posted:

When you say radioactive, what do you mean?

Earthships are a really cool idea, are they practical in temperate climates? I usually only see them in high desserts.

My guess is radon gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe this was answered already, but why a timber frame constructed shitter? Timbers main advantages is high quality construction and the ability to make huge interior spaces. A pooper needs neither of those things. So why not save a buck and do stick construction? You can still make something super nice, if that's one of the motivating factors.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rytheric posted:

So while I'm moving forward with the land of MurderHaus, the seller for the 3 acre lot i was talking about is losing their mind and rapidly dropping the price and is now selling it for $6000. I am emotionally torn because I want that property too, but if I buy it, i would have to use some of the funds I need to buy the land of MurderHaus. This is a gamble as I may end up losing the land of MurderHaus if I can't recoup the deposit as fast as necessary.

Edit: by emotionally torn I mean binge eating Mac n cheese in the KFC parking lot drinking diet mountain dew. Ive been here like 2 hours.

COVID has driven people insane here. I want to move into a nice town in CT here and motherfuckers want $80,000 for 1.2 acres. The worst part is that poo poo is selling.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The main reason they exist is to be a self sufficient structure so that no interior walls are load bearing. This allows you to put walls wherever you want and be able to remove them in the future without having to worry about messing with the structure of the home. They're generally faster to erect since the lumber arrives already cut and jointed. Not surprisingly, it's also more expensive to do, especially with the current nation wide lumber shortage we're in. People also build hybrids where parts of the house are stick builds like bedrooms and bathrooms, then have larger rooms like living, family, kitchen, dining, and garage timber built to have a completely restriction free open concept.

Timber frames aren't really something you can do outside a purpose built wood shop since the tenons and other dimensions are precision cut. The frame pieces also usually weigh hundreds of pounds making them difficult to maneuver.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 14, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, you're looking at custom one off, virtually handmade, timber framing. The tooling set up time and expertise to do what you want is going to be $$$. Your project is small, why don't you try to use 6x6 or 8x8 posts joined with 2x16 lvls reinforced by joist hangers for 16 foot spans? You can use existing stick framing design using existing materials but used for scaled down timber style construction.

Edit: oh I didn't see the scaled down part, I thought he was talking about the timber framing itself. Im having a hard time following the logic for this project lol.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 14, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm very quickly realizing this thread isn't about a house at all.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Raised bed gardens are better anyways, no one wants to be hunched over plants all day.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

taqueso posted:

Just dig ditches next to the garden :eng99:

Planting soil is easier to add than grass/packed dirt/rocks/roots are to dig up. Plus digging down adds a bunch of draining issues.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My house is on 2/3 an acre and I've got a decent front and back yard, I think. Amount of land is going to be a subjective issue.

I just cleared my back yard last year. This is probably 1/3 acre.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gramps posted:

I have a very similar situation in my backyard, plus a nightmare garbage pile on another piece of land I own behind my property. What did it take for you to get that all cleared?

It was all pretty heavy overgrowth. My father in law and I worked on it for about 4 months. It took 25 full loads of a 14 foot utility trailer, or about 10 tons of brush and trees. We infilled a low spot with with 2 inch minus dirt. It took 10x 3 axle dump trucks, or roughly 190 tons. We followed it up with 40 tons of top soil. Seeded with 60 pounds of field turf and maybe 2000ish gallons of water?

This is why I believe 2/3 of an acre to be plenty.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think I ran around $5000 all in. We hired for hydroseed and grading. So there's some money to be saved if you want to DIY.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think you'd benefit from a bit of scope. You know what you want, but the problem is it changes every other post lol. I think if you focus on GroverTruk and follow through with it, you might find your goals for Murderhaus and TimberShitter more clear by understanding what itches GroverTruk does not scratch.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a shipping container pervert myself. Build like a brick shithouse and all of it is structural.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tip posted:

I think he specifically bought one that was used for refrigerated cargo so that it came fully insulated.

Okay so that's something that I hadn't considered. That's a pro move.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
All I know is that you should stain and varnish/lacquer separately. Don't use a combination stain. I tried it once and had to sand back the polyurethane because it finished lumpy.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 20, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It turned out okay. Luckily I had the darkest stain I could find.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like you have the frame figured out, are you going with SIPS for the walls? One of the benefits of a timber frame is the use of SIPS and having really good potential to minimize ACH50, in your case I'd expect as low as 0.5. You can obviously pair SIPS with something like ZIP R sheathing for absolutely insane insulation values exceeding 30. You could definitely get passive house rating, which I would recommend if it's financially in your reach. Imagine being able to heat Murderhaus with just your body heat and being able to cool your entire house with a small window AC, and then being able to stay that way for days if you lose power. That's what we're talking about here.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 21, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
SIPS is two layers of 1/2 to 3/4 inch plywood sandwiching ridgid foam. You can build an entire house with it sans floor, structurally. ZIP-R is a rigid foam backed with a plastic-y layer that acts as the houses control layers. Put wood siding on top of that and supported by timber and that poo poo is hurricane proof.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 21, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rytheric posted:

I was going to do the insulation my self via the diagram below

You need more insulation.

The R13 value isn't arbitrary. It's the rated value of a 2x4 insulated cavity. Note rated cavity doesn't include the thermal bridge from the 2x4 itself so the effective value is actually lower. So in order to get an R20 value you'd need an exterior isulation to supplement the wall insulation. That or make the wall THICC (R20 is the 2x6 insulated value). I'd personally chase R25 myself, but I'm an insulation pervert.

Also note foam board is a pain in the rear end to run electrical though. SIPS has the chases already installed.

Are you building on a slab? I've seen graded and compacted engineered (read: hard dirt) surfaces but I'm wary about long term stability. Are you insulating your slab? You should consider that as well since the entire earth is a pretty big heat sink.

Eh gently caress it, what about your ceiling? Attics or SIPS? A cathedral ceiling with maybe some transoms or a dormer may make the layout seem less claustrophobic and better lit. Unless Murderhaus isn't just a name and you want a single naked bulb hanging from a wire.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 22, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rytheric posted:

The down side of using sips is that you essentially need a crane to install it.

Rytheric posted:

I know a few tricks from sailing on how to hoist things.

I'm so confused. You'll need to lift rafters eventually and that will also require some way to lift them into place which will be just as heavy as SIPS. You'll also want to lift your roofing materials up there instead of using a ladder over and over which is super not safe to do as many times as you'll need to move all the shingles for a roof.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 22, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So then what's the deal with needing a crane with SIPS? I'd just tilt them up like a regular wall.

Note this video is a SIPS construction that has two floors and no crane or other machine to lift into place. Also note how loving fast they built it. One of the advantages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iAfVfPwSUg

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 22, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

Convenient.

So technically if you live in the truck all you have to do is drive it to south carolina and you're totally legal.

Did you get bored with your own link and not make it to the end? The crane pulls up around the 15:00 mark.

That was for roofing of a two story single family home. That wasn't at all applicable to the construction of the walls of a single story Murderhaus.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
OP says he has that covered with that lifting mechanism from his book, and to his credit I have seen stick trusses assembled by a single person before. Like I said before though I think he would be missing out on some primo head space and lighting by not making a cathedral ceiling with a dormer using SIPS.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hell yea let's drag more goons into this :gooncamp:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You should really find a railroad tie and see how long it takes you to chisel a single tenon. You'll be at that poo poo for months building a whole house.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rytheric posted:

Yeah that is the labor intensive part. I've chiseled tenons before. Ironically enough, I'm actually doing some geotech work to address a sinking railroad road. Maybe I can ask them for a tie as a souvenir.

Even if you know what to do, it's probably best to form technique and precision on a piece of scrap before doing it to your literal house that you need to live in.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

The problem here is that a decent percentage of what's being posted here is complete fabrication. I'm just not sure what percentage it is yet.

Well, yea, it's a thread about building a house :dadjoke:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rytheric posted:

I just can't stand the noise and dust powered equipment produces. I prefer a quiet calm environment to work on my craft. Similar to how this dude operates below. He is one role model

https://youtu.be/V9W9xQS-EdQ

Don't discount saws for sure. If you're super into joinery, I'd recommend getting a Japanese pull saw. It gets you finer control and it's definitely part of the artistry.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised square broaches that you just, like, slam through wood with a hammer isn't a thing.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Miloshe posted:

I understand everyone is watching this thread like it is a slow motion train wreck, but I've got to second a lot of what Motronic's said here.

I was bit by the timber framing bug, met Jack Sobon himself, got my book autographed, and sought out work timber framing. A 16 by 12 "shed" with a loft. 32 loving rafters. Working with 3 X 5 timbers we milled ourselves from pine trees we harvested that day. Green as a timber can be. This is an important distinction because as soon as your timbers begin to cure in the slightest regardless of power tools you will be sharpening chisels for an hour each day. Your timbers will turn into bananas regardless of how well you sticker them and "prevent moisture intrusion". Do me a favor, Ry, and take a video of you laying out a 36" brace with shoulder. That's it.

Your build had 6 inch center spacing or am I missing something?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I slam wood together like a god drat maniac. Drilling, powersawing, orbital sanding the material with a complete disregard that it's called woodworking . Lines straight, poo poo fits, no cracks, good to go. Hold on I'll be right back, the wood that I'm jamming the drill into is burning because the bit is as dull as a watermelon.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kreeningsons posted:

This thread seems tailor made for these forums in a way I can’t completely articulate. Anyway I’m enjoying it and thanks, hope your doors dry ok.

Hope I'm not lifting the veil too much but this thread has the classic goon stuck in a well story arc:

quote:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!"
OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."
Goon22:"Yeah, like any of you guys have even seen a real well, you neckbearded, WOW-addicted shut-ins."

OP hasn't quite started digging yet, but he's sure thinking about it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My motivations are to prevent Ry from dying, generally.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If well built, Murderhaus could be a 500 year structure. The oldest wood based structures are pretty much all timber framed.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I personally see a million tiny additions like the Kids Next Door treehouse in Murderhaus's future.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe a stick frame could, you'd have to be able to deal with 500 year weather phenomena which in the Carolinas would probably be freak hurricanes.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've missed part of the conversation. Is the battery the truck battery? Because if it is you can just run the truck, then the inverter is actually drawing from the alternator which should easily provide 1250W.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol my Subaru does more than that. I just assumed truck = bigger alternator.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Could be a fun thread, but we've violently steered towards a fate in which the chances of someone getting banned approaches one as time goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

Rescope the project to make finishing GroverTruk your primary goal. The rest is just window dressing and distracts from the ultimate goal, even the (by all accounts not great?) land you're buying.

um excuse me posted:

I think you'd benefit from a bit of scope. You know what you want, but the problem is it changes every other post lol. I think if you focus on GroverTruk and follow through with it, you might find your goals for Murderhaus and TimberShitter more clear by understanding what itches GroverTruk does not scratch.

That makes two for "just finish the truck first".