Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

I actually read the article to this. Who has a back door going below the outhouse? I question that decision.

Downstairs in the Outhouse, by Seymour Butts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

So im building it directly from this book I have called how to timberframe. It has all the blueprints, timber sizes, and loads in it. As far as the Timbers themselves. I'm just going to send the cut list to a few mills around here the same way I got model kit and see which one will do it and for how much.

Are you intending to use pinned tenons and the like? All the timber framing I've seen uses rather complicated joinery and involves a lot of hand work.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

um excuse me posted:

You should really find a railroad tie and see how long it takes you to chisel a single tenon. You'll be at that poo poo for months building a whole house.

I predict that Rytheric will discover that timber framing is far more difficult and much slower than it looks on YouTube.

I hope he proves me wrong, though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

um excuse me posted:

I'm surprised square broaches that you just, like, slam through wood with a hammer isn't a thing.

Wood has a habit of crushing and splitting. You need to remove the bulk of the material with a drill, then use a mortising chisel to square it up.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

um excuse me posted:

If well built, Murderhaus could be a 500 year structure. The oldest wood based structures are pretty much all timber framed.

And it will take Ry 20 years to build it, he'll live in it for 10, and then it will sit abandoned and rotting for the next 470 years.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

If that is my life, oh well, I've lived well enough. Whatever I do will be better than the dilapidated church lowering everyone's property values.

And that's fine. The joy is in the building of it. Go nuts. I'm the same way. I build stuff because I enjoy building it. I'm not doing it for posterity.

I was more just making the point that few people really want buildings that last 500 years.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

corgski posted:

Hell I used to work with a guy that made Amish-approved desktop computers. Put it in a wood case, pre-install solidworks, set some firewall rules so they can’t access anything other than yahoo mail and state government websites, and don’t give them the admin password and it’s good.

But yeah Ry, get some power tools please.

A year of hand-chiseling timbers every day from dawn to dusk will probably focus his mind a bit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kreeningsons posted:

The guy in this video mentions that stick frames came to dominate the construction trade due in part to labor unions. Does anyone know any details about this? Genuinely curious.

I doubt it was labor unions specifically, but just a coincident to a shift in general attitudes and economics due to the rise of industrialism.

Timber framing was popular when materials were expensive and labor was cheap. Stick framing became popular when materials became cheap and labor became expensive.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

You literally missed the first sentence.

A 10 amp draw won't tax my system a 10 amp at 120 volts will or 100 amps at 12volts prior to the transformer.

10 amps @ 120V is 1200 watts, which your inverter seems to be able to handle.

Regardless, if you go with battery-powered tools, you can have a few batteries charging all the time and comfortably rotate them as needed. Most systems have one battery type that fits an array of different tools.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I was only correcting your math on the power draw. I wasn't expecting you to actually power a circular saw off a 12V battery.

The larger issue is that your productivity with only hand tools will be extremely low. You're going to need a source of electric power other than the alternator of the truk if you're going to get your houses built before you die.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

So the seller is just a wholesaler who had a contract to sell the property which expires in March. He was going to sell it to me for $20,000 at $5000 down. The owner wanted $10,000 at $2000 down. So the wholesaler was going to walk away with $3000 down which he was going to expense to the survey and take off with the payments for the remainder $7000. The wholesaler got upset with the owner because the owner was taking too long and waived off his surveyor twice and backed off. He sold me the title search and equitable interest for $1000. He told me to knock on the owner's door with the paperwork he provided me and have him sign it for $10,000 as he agreed upon, but I had no idea who the lawyer and everything was so I was waiting on my lawyer.

In the mean time I went ahead and scheduled a soil scientist to confirm whether or not the land perks. Which was $600. So I've invested $1600 in the property so far.

I was cool with the price point at $10,000 because I was cool with the original $20,000 and was hoping to use that price difference to afford the permitting and such. As the total cost to buy im estimating to be roughly $7000-$10000 bringing me back to $20,000. I think im willing to buy for $15,000 to split the cost. But paying $20,000 while okay is rather unpleasant.

So you've got a con man conning another con man and both of them see you as a mark.

Maybe they're right.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'm having trouble hearing over all the Scott Joplin music blaring out of this thread.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

Yeah I'm going to wait til I get my lawyer on the phone before I go forward. I'm weary of getting a realtor because I need a low down payment.

Realtors make money based on a percent of the selling price. They have no influence on anything else.

However, they do understand the legal aspects of the selling process and have a vested interest in making sure all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed, because they don't get paid otherwise.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

The problem is that I'm not looking for a mortgage I'm looking for owner financing or to pay the property outright like the 6k land. I will look into though.

Realtors have nothing whatever to do with mortgages and will gladly help with owner financed sales. I've used them for that myself.

They will help you with whatever financing arrangements you want, because it will help the property change hands. That's how they get paid.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Also, I'm in Chattanooga. I drive the mountains along the state border fairly regularly. If you're in the western part of the state it wouldn't be much out the way to drop in on you now and then.

Don't know how much use I'd be, but I can be a set of hands on occasion. I do woodworking with powertools, so I'm The Enemy, but if you need some power tools for a day (and the power to run them), I could load a few in my wife's van and head over for a day or two. I'll dig up a 1500W generator if you need it to run them.

Just consider me an emergency resource when the hand tools ain't cutting it.

I won't push my services, just letting you know they're there if you decide you want to try them.

Peace, love, and hope to you, my friend. I hope things work out for you.

Note: From the outside, what you're doing with that land seems absurd. If it's cool to you and can make it work, good on ya. We're all skeptical, though. Hope you prove us wrong.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 27, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

beep-beep car is go posted:

It’s not like he has a truck that can haul a boat trailer or anything!

The truck is broken, so he has to buy the property it's sitting on.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

So here is the exchange I had with the agent the performed the exit scam on me. I will check if the lien is in the paperwork he gave me. But he was just telling the guy to refinance which is what the second realtor told me would be acceptable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4RvskuFnPY&t=71s

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

I dont think it's a scam at this point. Another realtor point out that everything is rather kosher if a refinance is involved. The sellers agent was doing things right compared to what the other realtor suggested, he was just rather unethical. The exit scam wouldn't have been as exit scammy if I had stuck with his lawyer to follow through on things like he suggested but I didn't want to pay his lawyers fees if my company will pay for my own lawyer.

The non-partisan realtor that is giving me advise now is suggesting that I don't give anyone any money though because the owner doesn't have the right to promise me a price contingent on my perk tests. I really need to get my lawyer involved but it's not a week day.

Even if it's not a scam (it is), there is no way you're going to get clear title to it in any reasonable length of time.

This particular piece of land is not unique. There are plenty of others that are suitable for your plans. You have a big emotional investment in it for some reason you won't tell us, but it's an abusive relationship and time for you to get out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

So for context on why I'm rather adamant to buy something rather than simply wait which will only make me look dumber.

First, I am renting a parking space for my boxtruck or potential room if necessary from my boss for $200 a month. This deal expires April 2022. Second for two years now I have been putting nearly all my income into my 401k so I wouldn't waste it on things like $500 dates or extravagant telescopes.

The original plan was that I was going pull 5k out of my 401k this year to fix GroverTruk and to buy a geo tracker to drive around while GroverTruk was parked and to pull behind GroverTruk if I went somewhere.

Then next year I was going to buy a piece of property when I could pull more from my 401k.

Unfortunately I saw this deal and decided to switch my plan around. Buy the land first, work on it so I have a place to park GroverTruk if my boss backs out the deal and then buy the geotracker. The problem is that I pulled 10k out instead of 5k to do it so I could fix some things and make the 5k down payment on the original $20k the property was listed for which means I can't pull money out again for the most part until it's paid off in June 2022.

So if I switch back to taking care of grovertruk and buying a geotracker. I won't be able to buy a piece of property til June 2022 which means I will be on my feet from April 2022 til I could find a piece of property after June 2022. The flip side is that in June 2022 I will have $25k to drop on a property instead of the $5k I have now.

You did a dumb thing in changing your plans. It happens. Welcome to life.

Continuing to pursue this particular piece of land is bad money after good. It is not going to work. It's time for Plan B.

Talk to your boss about extending your stay. He's already committed to another year, a few more months probably will be fine.

Work with a realtor and find another piece of property that will work for your plans before you commit to it.

You also need help with finances, as you shouldn't be using your 401(k) as a savings account.

Being a goofy free spirit has run hard into reality here. You need more help than this thread can provide.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

koshmar posted:

That brings up a good point. How are doors, manufactured to be installed in a stationary object, going to handle be installed in a box truck. I can imagine there’s going to be a lot of swaying and lateral motion the doors won’t like.

:ssh: The vibrations from the truck driving will cause the frames to work loose, the glass to shatter, and the hinges to pull out of the frame, but don't tell Ry.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

So what I'm thinking is that probably the best course of action is to forget about land this year. If I want the land I can try again next year. I can take the $6000 I have and take GroverTruk to get the suspension replaced and fixed up then finish flushing it out. Save up and worry about land for the MurderHaus next year. That land is probably not going to get sold anytime soon so in the least it will be waiting for me next year. In the mean time I can look elsewhere and establish connections with my company lawyer and such. I at least learned more about the process this year.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

beep-beep car is go posted:

Read these threads, enjoy them, marvel at the skill on display.

Don’t take away: “that doesn’t seem too hard”
Take away: “that’s what literally decades of experience - that I don’t have - gets you.”

Ah, but Ry knows the One Weird Trick, that CSB obviously doesn't.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Why is it priceless?

Did you steal it?

One Truk to rule them all, One Truk to find them, One Truk to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Just route the exhaust into the bottom of the fire pit.

The fire will burn up all the noxious gases, problem solved.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

So. I took another gander into the dark recesses of the GroverTruk underbelly because I was concerned that a lengthened pipe would be too close to the fuel tank. Lo and behold I found a bracket for the original exhaust that would have the CO escaping into the environment out from behind the rear passenger side dualies. I think the previous owner made several modifications to the grovertruk. I noticed some cooling lines were missing from the throttle body, there was a hole in the catalytic converter and now it looks like the down turned exhaust under the bed is also a modification from the original. It sounds like they were trying to get more power out of the GroverTruk. As if it needed more power. Perhaps if I restore the original exhaust it will run better.

I bet it turned some sick 1/4 mile times, though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Space Kablooey posted:

Very stupid question: How is the exhaust seeping into the box cabin if the pipe is pointing downwards in the middle of a presumably solid floor? Is it a question of the exhaust seeping through some really small cracks in the floor and/or through the back and through the door seams?

I'm assuming the box truck is outside or something where the truck's own air intakes doesn't come into play, but I have no idea...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

tater_salad posted:

That's the failure point one of the coolant lines will break / pop before something else fails, it's very confusing if you ask me. It's also really not cool for the environment to be dumping glycol and other chemicals all over it but know what.. at least when the engine is off / breaks it wont make noise.

It just means that he can't be bothered to fix it properly. It falls apart regularly but is fairly easy to put back together. Calling it a "controlled failure point" makes it sound like he planned for it to work that way.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

um excuse me posted:

It was my interpretation that his boss and this thread seem to agree on a lot.

I've gotten the impression that Ry's boss is going out of his way to keep an eye on him and make sure he isn't left to fend for himself. I'm not sure how much of his advice is direct advice or just stuff Ry has absorbed by hanging around.

I guess we'll figure more out in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

*puts on construction hat*

another fine day, time to go back to the solar panel farm mines

I think it means:

1) Drill holes
2) Fill with concrete
3) Attach I-beams across the tops of them
4) Install supports and panels