Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I always tune in for the last few hours because one of the classes turns into a knife fight but that's not happening this year. GTE Pro has been... uneventful? Not that sad it's being retired for a bigger GTE Am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Pablo Bluth posted:

I have to say it's not been the most engaging event. Toyota untroubled at the front, Alpine formality in third, LMP2 being nothing but a bunch of identical cars. Hopefully 2022 should have a better grid...

the first 10 hours were nonstop clownshoes, after all the dopes crashed out it calmed down a lot

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Normally one leading LMP2 team suffers catastrophic heartbreak

Still glad for Kubica if he pulls this off

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

algebra testes posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hahahahahahahaahaha

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
WRT: We Re-enact Toyota

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Apparently not enough people have died loving with race tracks to tell that oval office with the flag you perhaps don't gently caress with a live race track while 2 cars are fighting for a win.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dudley posted:

Apparently not enough people have died loving with race tracks to tell that oval office with the flag you perhaps don't gently caress with a live race track while 2 cars are fighting for a win.
I noticed that too - maybe it was a long lens but that looked insane.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

congratulations, you aimed the cartoon anvil

Dudley posted:

somebody needed to yank him back off the track when it was clear half a lap prior that there was A LMP2 Battle going to the line

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

algebra testes posted:

lmfao

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

congratulations, you aimed the cartoon anvil

somebody needed to yank him back off the track when it was clear half a lap prior that there was A LMP2 Battle going to the line

Yeah that's the thing, if it's all settled and you know everyone is parading it's one thing but it was very clear that the 28 was going to catch the 31 on the line.

Maybe at least put him much further up the track as a ceremonial thing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/formularacers_/status/1429438274200915974?s=21

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

We're not letting Montoya get away with claiming a win in a semi-official subclass of a class at LeMans counts right?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

algebra testes posted:

A hall of fame post right here

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

loving yikes

Dudley posted:

We're not letting Montoya get away with claiming a win in a semi-official subclass of a class at LeMans counts right?

nope, not by my count

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Montoya is very cool in my book though

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'll rank him above everyone else on 2 but triple crown this ain't.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Montoya in the dragonspeed doubles as BoP weight, he is almost twice the size of the other drivers.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Dudley posted:

ACO clearly not satisfied with the number of corpses that section of track has produced

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Dudley posted:

Nah triple crown gotta be overall.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Only a few random fans might say it’s a Triple Crown, but I would be shocked if he thought it was. Even if a class win was enough (still, no), his best lap times wouldn’t have made the cut in multiple LMP2 teams with all pros.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Thing is, Montoya doesn't give a shot about the triple crown unless there's an actual trophy and money involved, which is why him getting it would make me laugh even harder that he got it instead of Fernando

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
remember when Villeneuve nearly got it (in the semi-official "F1 WDC instead of Monaco" variant) if not for the weather

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

remember when Villeneuve nearly got it (in the semi-official "F1 WDC instead of Monaco" variant) if not for the weather

I mean they are both non official but the WDC one always seems more legitimate to me than the Monaco one, because winning one mediocre race seems like a lot less of a test of skill.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 22, 2021

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It makes more sense to me as the 3 prestigious races even if some have lost their lustre since the 60s.

I think Andretti technically has a Le Mans class win/WDC/Indy too, not quite a crown. A hat maybe.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

spaceblancmange posted:

It makes more sense to me as the 3 prestigious races even if some have lost their lustre since the 60s.

I think Andretti technically has a Le Mans class win/WDC/Indy too, not quite a crown. A hat maybe.

yeah, arguably the three highest-profile races in the world. but even Graham Hill pushes the goalposts out farther to the "WDC, Le Mans and Indy" definition. Of course, he's the only guy to do both, so whether that's fair or not is your own call.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

More chaos at Brands Hatch, today in the GT World championship.
How it started:

How it ended up:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
A Brands Hatch guardrail failing to keep a car in the circuit? Where have I seen that before?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Presumably at Brands Hatch.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
If this happens another 6 or 7 times they really should consider doing something about it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

If this happens another 6 or 7 times they really should consider doing something about it.

They'll form a committee, British racing orgs are good at it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's been too deadly for bikes for 20 years so i'm glad they've stopped racing there.
*checks notes*

oh wait.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

algebra testes posted:

It's been too deadly for bikes for 20 years so i'm glad they've stopped racing there.
*checks notes*

oh wait.

Did the guy who crashed in British superbikes come out of the coma yet?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Tomoki Nojiri is absolutely hammering everybody in Super Formula this year. It’s not even close.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Space Butler posted:

Did the guy who crashed in British superbikes come out of the coma yet?

Yeah he left hospital last week.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://racer.com/2021/08/30/audi-drops-plans-for-factory-imsa-lmdh-program/

Week old at this point but Audi will not be shifting into H. At least not in the US.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Weird because it becomes both cheap and desired as soon as another VAG brand are in. Packing the grid is the only way to beat BoP.

Which implies you won't see factory VAG in IMSA at all, but if they're selling cars that's not going to matter much.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 7, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Weird because it becomes both cheap and desired as soon as another VAG brand are in. Packing the grid is the only way to beat BoP.

Which implies you won't see factory VAG in IMSA at all, but if they're selling cars that's not going to matter much.

Nah, Penske is confirmed running a Porsche LMDH factory team in IMSA. The problem is entirely Audi USA not wanting to pay the bill, which apparently was a problem even when the Audi R8 and R10 were dominant back in the day!

Somebody will run non-factory Audis nonetheless in IMSA, and it’ll likely be a decent level of team too. But it won’t be factory.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Next year’s European Le Mans Series schedule is out, and it’s got a couple interesting new additions - Imola and the Hungaroring.

https://twitter.com/europeanlms/status/1438789903152820224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoWh--D_m5g

phwoar. I need to keep watching more WRC.