Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Black Desert Online is ostensibly a buy-to-play Korean action MMORPG developed Pearl Abyss, who are now also owners of CCP Games, soon no longer to be published by Kakao Games, formerly Daum. BDO features a wide variety to play the game such as gathering, crafting, trading and combat, each with their own form of progression. BDO's Combat is an action combat system where you execute different skills with a combination of inputs (QWERASDFZXC, LMB, RMB, Shift, Space) to execute skills. Some skills can be used from the hotbar, often at the cost of more mana/energy or reduced damage while allowing the normal inputs to be locked, while others can only be cast from the hotbar. Combat is the main focus of both the developers and most players, but as of the last couple years, non-combat activities are now viable for money-making and have their own gear progression. BDO also features a pretty lengthy main story questline which has been reworked like 500 times over the last couple years. Most/all of it is voice acted, but the story has never really been a strong selling point of black desert. From a rewards perspective, it is 100% worth doing as a new player as it gives you gear to get off the ground as well as some free inventory slots and is an easy way to get your quest count up for some other benefits.

Most importantly, Kakao (formerly known as Daum) Games's publishing contract with Pearl Abyss ends this year. The transfer of service is set to take place on February 24 of this year, and :siren: if you have played this game in the past and care about your account, you must manually apply to have your account transfer before May 31 or your account will be permanently deleted:siren:. Details here, with a bunch of rewards you can get if you do so and decide you want to play again.

Playable Classes

Every class except Shai uses 3 different weapons and has a choice between a preawaken/awakened skillset and a relatively new "succession" skillset that blends the two while using the preawakened weapon. All classes are gender locked, and male/female versions of similar classes may be similar in preawakened, but completely diverge after awakening. Once you pick a class, the class-specific discords class-specific discords can be a good resource to get you started with useful combos/cancels. Below is a list of every playable class with their weapons, but I won't go into much detail since there are 21 of them and its easy to pop in and ask or look up recommendations.
  • Warrior: Uses a sword and shield in preawakening and a greatsword in awakening. This class has seen much better days
  • Valkyrie: Uses a sword and shield in a preawakening and a lance in awakening.
  • Kunoichi: Uses a shortsword and shuriken/kunai in preawakening and bladed chakram hula hoop in awakening.
  • Ninja: Uses a shortsword and shuriken/kunai in preawakening and a katana in awakening.
  • Musa: Uses a blade and bow in preawakening and crescent blade / naginata in awakening. Great at blendering weaker things quickly, but not great at anything else.
  • Maehwa: Uses a blade and bow in preawakening and spear in awakening.
  • Witch: Uses a staff and dagger in preawakening and magic balls in awakening. Preawaken/succession are very similar to wizard, but in both cases wizard is strictly better. Awakening witch is mostly better than awakening wizard.
  • Wizard: Uses a staff and dagger in preawakening and different colored magic balls in awakening. Succession wizard is one of the most complained about classes for being overpowered.
  • Ranger: Uses a bow and dagger in preawakening and a sword in awakening. Usually a glass cannon.
  • Archer: Uses a crossbow and ra'ghon in preawakening and a greatbow in awakening. Usually a glass cannon, but unlike ranger, has knockdowns that can hit people before you render on their screen
  • Striker: Uses a gauntlet and vambrace in preawakening and a "guardbrace" in awakening.
  • Mystic: Uses a gauntlet and vambrace in preawakening and a cestus in awakening.
  • Tamer: Uses a shortsword and trinket in preawakening and a bo staff in awakening. I'm not sure PA knows this class still exists. Character defaults to looking like a early teenage girl, so don't play one if it bothers you.
  • Berserker: Uses an axe and ornamental knot in preawakening and uses an iron buster in awakening. Spin to win or be megaman!
  • Sorceress: Uses an amulet and talisman in preawakening and a scythe in awakening. BDO's #1 iframe abuser, not for those with carpal tunnel syndrome.
  • Dark Knight: Uses a kriegsmesser and ornamental knot in preawakening and a vediant in awakening. Once a strictly better sorceress, now mostly played as a melee assassin form what I hear.
  • Hashashin: Uses a shamshir and haladie in preawakening and dual glaives in awakening. I know nothing about this class, but it didn't sound terribly popular on release.
  • Lahn: Uses a crescent pendulum and noble sword in preawakening and crimson glaives in awakening. Has a ranged grab and a move where you can jump up and glide/fly.
  • Shai: Uses a florang/boomerang and lantern and has "talent" weapons that affect its support skills. The shai race look like 5 yr olds, so don't play them if that bothers you.
  • Guardian: Uses a battleaxe and shield in preawakening and a jordun (bigger axe) in awakening. Not as overpowered as on release, but still an easy class to get into pve since its pve damage/armor base stats are good.
  • Nova: Uses a morning star and quoratum (tower shield) in preawakening and a sting (rapier) in awakening. This is the newest class.

Guilds
Membership in guilds are for whatever reason done as "contracts" in game, with daily pay, durations, and (trivial) contract termination fees. Once the contract expires, you still remain in the guild, but you lose most/all benefits that a guild would normally provide such as:
  • Daily pay, up to 5 million per day. Can't collect this if your contract is expired or pay is 1 million or more and there are less than 10 members online
  • Passive guild buffs such as fishing/gathering speed and small combat stat buffs
  • Ability to participate in node wars
  • Ability to contribute to guild missions--normally half of the silver reward of a guild mission is split between those who complete it.
  • Receive guild payouts from the guild funds, up to once a week at the discretion of the GM
Parks and Rec is currently the only remaining SA affiliated guild. PNR is not a node wars guild and mostly provides a place for people to have guild buffs--if you want an active pvp/node wars guild, PNR is not that place but it's not a bad place to start since it would take months of grinding to be competitive. Join the discord to ask for an invite or just come bs with us about this game. We have a couple people who hang out there that have gone on to other guilds to do pvp stuff.

Discord link: https://discord.gg/tXJYW48

Combat gear and progression
Combat gear is largely defined by 4ish stats--AP and accuracy for offensive stats and damage reduction and evasion which are summed up as DP. To make things more confusing, the AP/DP numbers in your equipment screen aren't necessarily reflective of your actual stats as the vast majority of the stats you get are "hidden" from that number. Fortunately, you don't really have to worry about anything other than making those numbers go up until you have well over 50b sunk into your gear, by which time you should be able to figure out what to do on your own. For the most part, you can follow a gearing guide such as this one or just ask someone what to do. A big change on this front is that the marketplace was reworked a couple years ago and the price caps on most items were increased to the point where you can pretty easily buy all but the most expensive/rarest gear, so I won't describe the enhancement system here.

If you start now, there are two ways you can accelerate your gearing. First, if you make a normal character, once you get to level 56 you can buy weapons from the event oasis vendor that is equivalent to 1.5b total for 1 silver each, but the weapons will disappear whenever that event ends. Second, you could make a season character. Season characters use season-specific naru and tuvala gear are entirely made/enhanced with materials gained when grinding on season servers. Fully enhanced tuvala gear is equivalent to what most people used to call soft cap gear, but this does mean you have to enhance them on your own, and you cannot standard gear until you graduate your season character.

Life skills
Life skills use completely different gear than combat. With a relatively recent update, life skill gear now have "mastery" stats which are affected by your level in the skill, general life skill accessories, skill-specific clothes, and activity specific tools. Higher mastery generally makes whatever lifeskill you're doing better in some way, but how it does so differs from skill to skill. Below is a brief description of every life skill in black desert:
  • Gathering: Exactly what it sounds like, going out in the world and gathering resources with a tool. The most popular gathering activities are gathering meat for meat and life skill upgrade materials and chopping/sapping trees primarily for caphras stones which are used to upgrade combat gear. Probably one of the best life skills in the game for profit, but requires a specific tier 4 pet to get the most out of it.
  • Processing: Turn materials into higher tier materials. The most common use of this is to turn certain timbers and ores into plywood and alloyed ingots for the trading skill. This used to be a popular AFK activity for 2-4 hour spans, but with the mastery system, a max-weight character easily fills up in under an hour.
  • Trading: Crate up raw or processed materials and sell them for silver. Mostly used as a way to dodge market taxes on processed materials, especially when not using a value pack. There is a trading system of hauling npc goods around, but it makes basically no money.
  • Cooking: Make food that buffs stats, or take that food, box it up, and sell it for profit to imperial vendors every day. Semi afk activity, with about a 10 minute touch time if you have enough max weight.
  • Bartering: Boat trading. Trade resources from land nodes into barter goods and barter goods into higher tier barter goods. Unlike trading, this can make decent money as a semi-afk (every 5-10 minute touch) activity.
  • Sailing: Not really a standalone life skill and primarily leveled by dailies
  • Fishing: Exactly what it sounds like. Get fish and ancient relic crystal shards which can be run for gear repair materials. Long term afk activity if you leave your computer on, but it only makes 2-8m/hr and heavily benefits from having more inventory slots
  • Alchemy: Make elixirs. This skill isn't really in a great spot
  • Hunting: Find hunting targets, shoot them dead with a musket, and chop them up for meat. Pretty bad compared to gathering for money/hr, but if you have fun who cares
  • Farming: Put down farming plots and grow crops. Most common use of this is to grow materials for cooking or for the farming byproducts to make tier 9 horse materials
  • Training: Catch and raise horses. Raising a T8 courser is pretty heavily reliant on skill change coupons which are cash shop items, but they are occasionally given out for free. Buying a horse with instant accel/drift (and S:IA for t8s) makes a big difference in travel speed if you don't mind pushing buttons when traveling. Otherwise, a manos riding crop is a good investment if you mostly autopath.

Housing and node networks
Contribution points, nodes, and housing are an account-wide shared resource. Contribution points are primarily gained by questing or turning in cooking byproducts and can be used to purchase housing, workshops, and "invest" in nodes for your workers to gather resources. Workers are "hired" but are fed with beer and chicken to restore their stamina, not paid with silver--the lore claims their city of residence is paying on your behalf but try not to think about it too hard. There are basically 4 races of workers, each with 5 tiers of quality you can hire initially. Workers can level from 1-30, and every 10 levels they gain a promotion attempt that can be used to upgrade them to the next quality tier. Success rate is based on level, so save 2 promotion attempts for level 20 and fire them if they both fail. Ultimately your goal is all artisan workers, and ideally not giants as their massive stamina pool isn't all that relevant anymore. Workers can gather all sorts of resources for all sorts of things.

FAQ
Q: Is this game pay to win?
A: Technically yes. The most efficient direct conversion of USD to silver is buying costumes from the pearl shop and selling them on the market at a conversion ratio of about 1 USD to 10m silver. You probably shouldn't care about this because you're unlikely to ever grind the hundreds of thousands of hours it would take to be competitive in the first place, and these days active money making easily breaks 100-200m/hr. Ultimately, people "paying to win" is unlikely to ever affect you in game other than making it possible for you to buy cron stones for half of the npc price. I can count on one hand the number of people who have come through PNR in the last 3 years that have gotten gear that would be considered remotely competitive. For reference, and "end-game" piece of gear starts at about 15 billion silver and the very top end of things can go well over 100 billion.

Q: How much will I need to spend and what would I buy?
A: Beyond the game package, the major QOL purchases are weight/inventory slots, maids, pets, and a tent. Inventory slots are not as necessary as they once were and is commonly given out for free, and you only need so much weight with maids outside of certain activities. Pets are a major benefit as they pick up loot for you and in some cases provide ridiculous buffs like 30-50% extra gathering loot--you get a couple free ones from the story quest, and they just gave out a t4 for new years and are giving out another for server transfer soon. The pet tier system sucks but it's there. Maids are account-shared and let you access the storage/market without going to the respective NPCs which reduce your need for weight/inventory slots. The tent's primary benefit is repairing gear and buying potions basically wherever you want, but it's a bit expensive. All in, you should be able to be pretty comfortable under $200 including the initial purchase, but you can also get by without most of it if you wait for things to be given out for free. The game also has 3 soft-subs--the value pack, kamasylvian blessing, and secret book of old moon. The latter two can usually be bought on the market since they run with loot scroll promotions, but value packs are basically impossible to buy on market. I basically never run a vp--I pop a 1 or 7 day when I have a couple billions worth to sell, and I have run kamas that I bought with silver for grinding a rare drop

Useful Links

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Been considering getting back into this. Is it better to do so now or wait until the migration when they probably have a bunch of giveaways/events?

edit: Just noticed there are a shitload of rewards for starting now so, now it is.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 31, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

In general, it's better to not wait for events to start to play again. There are some exceptions where having olvia channel access can make a difference or timing the reset on the new/returning attendance rewards, but you can't really know that in advance. The transfer attendance rewards are loaded onto the first day with 500 cron stones and the end with shakatu luxury boxes usually giving 25 memory fragments, currently worth about 2m each.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah the main reason I was considering waiting was I didn't have a tonne of time to really maximize the benefit of olvia access, but figured gently caress it. It's not a huge difference especially since I still have 530% scrolls.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Combat xp is trivial to get these days, so the +xp from olvia is mostly a non factor, especially since there always seems to be a +200% hot time event running. The real benefit is having fewer people able to be on the channels to grind at popular places. Getting to 61 is pretty trivial these days, and even 62 is way easier than 59 was 3 years ago

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I've been wanting to try it out, but does this still use xigncode, which bans you for having any developer or coding tools open?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Yes it still uses xigncode. It's still a korean mmo , and thus will have xigncode/hackshield/gameguard/whatever

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
drat. And they're apparently banning people using geforce now or other similar services too. ffs

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I've been playing a season character the past few days and enjoying (Nova). When you talk about being competitive in end-game are you referencing PVE or PVP. I guess I don't really have a clear understanding of what end game content is here.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
BTW if you're thinking about buying cash-shop items, I'd try to hold off until transfer of ownership to PA is complete. There'll probably be celebratory special offers because they can now pocket everything themselves.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

ExCruceLeo posted:

I've been playing a season character the past few days and enjoying (Nova). When you talk about being competitive in end-game are you referencing PVE or PVP. I guess I don't really have a clear understanding of what end game content is here.

PVP, mostly. There's not really an "end-game" per se unless you're counting node wars and siege, otherwise it's a game of setting goals and progressing towards them. There are "end-game" PVE areas, but they're just grind spots that give better income or different accessories. There's no real equivalent to raids unless you count whatever rift thing they added a while back. Even then there's mostly no competitive aspect to pve other than the occasional pvp you might encounter if you are at a popular spot

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Cool, that's kinda what I'm looking for. Hoping I can mostly ignore the PVP stuff and fiddle around with everything else. As long as I can do PVE content while (mostly) ignoring pvp I'm good.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

ExCruceLeo posted:

Cool, that's kinda what I'm looking for. Hoping I can mostly ignore the PVP stuff and fiddle around with everything else. As long as I can do PVE content while (mostly) ignoring pvp I'm good.

other than getting ganked by a wallet warrior/poo poo sock champion while trying to chill out and grind, all the pvp is segregated.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

other than getting ganked by a wallet warrior/poo poo sock champion while trying to chill out and grind, all the pvp is segregated.

How big of a problem is that exactly? I'm curious about this game, because the lifeskills half of it looks fun, as does the combat, but getting ganked in open world PVP while I'm just trying to mind my own business in PVE is my least favorite thing about MMOs, so if that's something I can expect to encounter regularly in this, it may not be the game for me.

There are no PVE-only servers or anything, are there? Didn't look like it based on my googling.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
It's not super common unless a spot is highly contested. There are a lot of different places to grind at any particular gear level.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Ainsley McTree posted:

How big of a problem is that exactly? I'm curious about this game, because the lifeskills half of it looks fun, as does the combat, but getting ganked in open world PVP while I'm just trying to mind my own business in PVE is my least favorite thing about MMOs, so if that's something I can expect to encounter regularly in this, it may not be the game for me.

There are no PVE-only servers or anything, are there? Didn't look like it based on my googling.

I play on PS4 so I'm assuming this still applies to PC too (I haven't played BDO on PC in years).

There's one true open-world PVP server that also has a baked-in increase to item drop rate, so when you're high level and confident in your skills you can hop over there to grind and try to hold your own. Every other server has a karma system, and griefing/ganking people to push them out of your grind spot can hurt. So most of the time, nobody will try to mess with you unless you're purposefully encroaching on their grind rotation. It's basically a nuclear option unless you're just unlucky and happen across an absolute dick of a person.

If you're grinding and someone comes to encroach on you, you can either hop to one of the many other servers OR just leave and go somewhere else/go to another spot in the area. You don't lose anything from a PVP death except a bit of time, unless a mob gets the last hit and then you might lose some exp. But overall in my experience you can craft, gather and grind all without worrying about someone coming in and ganking you 99.9999% of the time. They really tried to make it PVE friendly without explicitly banning PVP.

EDIT: Also IIRC people can't even attack you until you're level 51 (or is it 50?), at which case they can flag up and attack you unprovoked (but again, nobody really does). So if you play casually and focus on crafting and gathering, the majority of the time nobody can even attack you even if they wanted. And the grinding spots where people get territorial are mostly end-game grinding spots which you won't even be going to for a while.
It honestly is one of the more "chill" MMOs I've played. The PVP is there but only if you want it. Griefers and PKers are few and far between.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 2, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Amergin posted:

I play on PS4 so I'm assuming this still applies to PC too (I haven't played BDO on PC in years).

There's one true open-world PVP server that also has a baked-in increase to item drop rate, so when you're high level and confident in your skills you can hop over there to grind and try to hold your own. Every other server has a karma system, and griefing/ganking people to push them out of your grind spot can hurt. So most of the time, nobody will try to mess with you unless you're purposefully encroaching on their grind rotation. It's basically a nuclear option unless you're just unlucky and happen across an absolute dick of a person.

If you're grinding and someone comes to encroach on you, you can either hop to one of the many other servers OR just leave and go somewhere else/go to another spot in the area. You don't lose anything from a PVP death except a bit of time, unless a mob gets the last hit and then you might lose some exp. But overall in my experience you can craft, gather and grind all without worrying about someone coming in and ganking you 99.9999% of the time. They really tried to make it PVE friendly without explicitly banning PVP.

EDIT: Also IIRC people can't even attack you until you're level 51 (or is it 50?), at which case they can flag up and attack you unprovoked (but again, nobody really does). So if you play casually and focus on crafting and gathering, the majority of the time nobody can even attack you even if they wanted. And the grinding spots where people get territorial are mostly end-game grinding spots which you won't even be going to for a while.
It honestly is one of the more "chill" MMOs I've played. The PVP is there but only if you want it. Griefers and PKers are few and far between.

That's a relief to hear, thank you! I was getting bad wow memories of getting ganked by max level pubbies with flying mounts while trying to stranglethorn vale, so good to know BDO isn't like that.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

drat. And they're apparently banning people using geforce now or other similar services too. ffs

Good news, they're probably dumping xigncode as of tomorrow

Bad news is they're replacing it with "Easy Anti-cheat"

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

I played BDO at release with the Starfleet Dental guys and am thinking of coming back to see how the game is these days. I really enjoyed the life skills, and am hoping they are not as shallow as they were at the time. From the OP and what I've read it appears they have. I just did the account transfer process to keep my account alive. Do they still have separate servers inside of the regions like before, or has it all been condensed down to one per region?

J
Jun 10, 2001

BubbaGrace posted:

I played BDO at release with the Starfleet Dental guys and am thinking of coming back to see how the game is these days. I really enjoyed the life skills, and am hoping they are not as shallow as they were at the time. From the OP and what I've read it appears they have. I just did the account transfer process to keep my account alive. Do they still have separate servers inside of the regions like before, or has it all been condensed down to one per region?

There is a lifeskill mastery system in game now, with lifeskill gear to go with it. You gain mastery from both your level in the life skill and what gear you have on, and it makes you do the thing better. Gather more stuff per attempt, cook more per attempt, process more at a time, and so on. Here's the original patch notes for when they launched the system: https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/3050

Servers are just one per region now yeah, NA, EU, etc. The old servers for each region all got merged into the one for each region.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

To be honest a lot of the new lifeskill stuff from Manos (hoe excluded, digging up roots is cool as Hella) is really boiled down to number go up, but even bigger, the actual act of life's killing has not changed at all

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Manos mostly adds a way to make number go up yeah. There have been some changes that have made lifeskills quite a bit different than launch such as:

1. Outside of gathering, most lifeskills don't use energy
2. Hunting is actually somewhat interactive even if it's not really good money. I believe feather wolves are the cool spot for this.
3. Gathering Lakario is a minesweeperesque game you can go play. The money on this kinda sucks, and I'm pretty sure most people who do this do so with a pegasus.
4. Cooking/Alchemy have imperial delivery, which is probably the largest sink of produced food. Making meals is the meta now which has a lot more steps than milk tea or beer or whatever. Pilgrims haven also made stone easy to come by for utensils

Fishing and trading are basically unchanged. Gathering is fundamentally the same, but the amount and in some cases the materials you're gathering for have changed. Processing is just faster but is otherwise unchanged

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

Manos mostly adds a way to make number go up yeah. There have been some changes that have made lifeskills quite a bit different than launch such as:

1. Outside of gathering, most lifeskills don't use energy
2. Hunting is actually somewhat interactive even if it's not really good money. I believe feather wolves are the cool spot for this.
3. Gathering Lakario is a minesweeperesque game you can go play. The money on this kinda sucks, and I'm pretty sure most people who do this do so with a pegasus.
4. Cooking/Alchemy have imperial delivery, which is probably the largest sink of produced food. Making meals is the meta now which has a lot more steps than milk tea or beer or whatever. Pilgrims haven also made stone easy to come by for utensils

Fishing and trading are basically unchanged. Gathering is fundamentally the same, but the amount and in some cases the materials you're gathering for have changed. Processing is just faster but is otherwise unchanged

I did cooking as my main life-skill and found gathering milk and meat were the main bottle necks. I especially wasn't fond of the milking mini-game. Looks like I still will be playing the afk energy game still in order to gather a decent amount of materials. I also remember blowing through loads of the special cooking clothes trying to upgrade them.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

BubbaGrace posted:

I did cooking as my main life-skill and found gathering milk and meat were the main bottle necks. I especially wasn't fond of the milking mini-game. Looks like I still will be playing the afk energy game still in order to gather a decent amount of materials. I also remember blowing through loads of the special cooking clothes trying to upgrade them.

If cooking is your main thing, meat is still a large bottleneck, but manos gathering made it profitable enough to gather than you can buy most forms of meat. There are also occasional quests that can pop up when you're cooking that will have you cook and deliver 100 of some dish and get 1000 milk or egg. There's also one for hot pepper or onions but I just fail them because I get more than enough of those farming. My primary meal is valencia meals, so the milk from the cooking quests is more than enough for me, but it means I have to gather/buy lion/scorpion/snake meat. Basically everything else comes from nodes

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

gwrtheyrn posted:

[*]Ninja: Uses a shortsword and shuriken/kunai in preawakening and a katana in awakening.

"A katana" is somewhat an understatement :v:

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

If cooking is your main thing, meat is still a large bottleneck, but manos gathering made it profitable enough to gather than you can buy most forms of meat. There are also occasional quests that can pop up when you're cooking that will have you cook and deliver 100 of some dish and get 1000 milk or egg. There's also one for hot pepper or onions but I just fail them because I get more than enough of those farming. My primary meal is valencia meals, so the milk from the cooking quests is more than enough for me, but it means I have to gather/buy lion/scorpion/snake meat. Basically everything else comes from nodes

I have/had a massive node setup going, for the time, before I quit. Hopefully all of that is still going. Everything I needed but the things you cannot automate were taken care of by my network of workers. At the time the SFD guys were always making comments in mumble about how they saw my workers everywhere, lol. I cannot remember which food I was focusing on, but it definitely was named after a city and was gold tier. I also was doing something with wood (planks?) and shipping to that forest town south of calpheon to sell to the NPC vendor for decent money. Ill have to download and install to give myself a refresher.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

BubbaGrace posted:

I have/had a massive node setup going, for the time, before I quit. Hopefully all of that is still going. Everything I needed but the things you cannot automate were taken care of by my network of workers. At the time the SFD guys were always making comments in mumble about how they saw my workers everywhere, lol. I cannot remember which food I was focusing on, but it definitely was named after a city and was gold tier. I also was doing something with wood (planks?) and shipping to that forest town south of calpheon to sell to the NPC vendor for decent money. Ill have to download and install to give myself a refresher.

yeah basically everyone, lifeskillers and non, do that now, it's p much a baseline aspect of the game. you can still def do the trent trade since it's still an ok amount of money but there are a whole bunch of way more lucrative options, though i can't tell for certain since i haven't played the game in a year. i prob wouldn't fret too much about where you left off way back because it'll most likely be chump change compared to the immediate jump up of getting into all the boosted numbers these days

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
The new lifeskill addition is bartering, which involves sailing around and trading goods for more expensive goods. It's very chill, and I like it.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
If you can get a carrack and get that scam going it's reportedly 750m-1bil daily

stump collector
May 28, 2007
You also have to play constantly

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

stump collector posted:

If you can get a carrack and get that scam going it's reportedly 750m-1bil daily

It isn't realistically that much. If you're not running a VP you only get 2 trade resets a day, and each of those is maybe 200m depending on how lucky you get. So far I've only been selling T5s and the coins have all been going back into boat gear, so a good reset is about 160mil for me right now. Adding sea coin value would add 30-100mil on a reset, and I have no idea on selling T4s and below.

Now if you're bartering 16 hours a day sure I guess

stump collector
May 28, 2007
That value was thrown around a lot by the boat enthusiasts in my guild who definitely do not need any more boat gear. At bartering endgame you just use seacoins for manos accessories, which will probably slowly make their way back to max price.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

:siren:KAKAO CASH WILL NOT CARRY OVER WHEN THE GAME TRANSFERS TO PEARL ABYSS:siren:

https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/4890#:~:text=What%20happens%20to%20any%20remaining,will%20no%20longer%20be%20sold.

If you've got kakao cash spend it soon!

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 6, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Who holds onto kakao cash for longer than 10 seconds anyways, you can't spend it on anything but pearls? Kakao cash is just their dumb intermediate currency where they can be like lol too late you already spent it no refunds.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
Wonder if I should log in and redeem everything I had in the queue system to not lose it by some dumb mistake they may make. I think mail that isn't redeemed is lost but from what I recall seeing, the spirit safe and maybe the challenge stuff may be ok to leave?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Did they say mail won't transfer? I have a bunch of mail with a bunch of stuff that is probably useless

Also, the event starting tomorrow is called Praise the Sun. Black Desert: Dark Souls edition

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012
I have a bunch* of beginner black stones. They have no use other than on Naru armor/weapons/accessories, correct?

If they have no further use, I want to trash them to free up the weight.

*Close 1700 beginner armor stones.... plus 300+ beginner weapon stones....

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yep no use, vendor them

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
You can make a second set of Tuvala gear as backup for when you enhance the first set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
redeem code BDOHLNY with the redeem button on steam or through the website

for Good Free poo poo