Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I recently tried this out again as I had it due to a poor purchase decision shortly after release but hadn't touched it since that time. Primarily because I'd heard it was a lot better now and had smoothed over a lot of the Asian Grinder problems. Which is a little bit true and a whole lot of bullshit, so I figured I'd post this here for anyone else who might believe the it's different lines. TLDR version, it's still pure Asian grinder MMO but loyal players are so embedded in the system they've been gaslight into pretending it's a little bit different now.

The ways the game is "better" now:

- You are given a path to low/mid-endgame gear that you can then build off to progress further.

- There is now a season system and all that entails (with respect to bringing players back down and through the early game). It provides the path to that endgame gear but you're stuck on the path by doing it.

- You can now quest to get some good high level gear.

- Through years of farming and a dedicated base of gamblers, you can purchase your way to gear progression instead of engaging with the gambling system.

- As far as I can tell, there isn't anything P2W anymore. They adjusted the couple early items I remember being the poster child of P2W and now it's just pay for convenience. The convenience is so critical in some cases that I literally couldn't imagine playing the game long term without spending money but I'll admit it's not directly P2W. Side note, if you spend enough years chugging along you'll eventually get some level equivalence to those that paid for the convenience but make no mistakes, that's a very very long grind of it's own.

- In terms of action based combat it's god a good variety of skills that look flashy and cool.

- There are now gear level caps on some content so even if you're not best of the best you can compete with others. My limited understanding it's more of a soft cap so more gear is still better, just diminishing returns become so heavy that's minimal.

The ways it's still a terribly bad game.

- That path to initial endgame gear and eventually buying instead of gambling? You still have to engage with the enhancement system to get it. Enjoy your merging stuff together only to see it destroyed/downgraded/needing repair. Complete with low percentages, grinding out resources to continue to do it, and all the frustration that entails. If you know what you're doing and have followed a min/max guide you might be able to do it all with little to no frustration, but a string of bad luck or following the wrong guidance and you'll be stuck in a hell loop trying to follow the recommended path to gearing that is only slightly better than it used to be. And I'm 100% convinced even the min/max guides are highly dependent upon years of built up resources (itemized failstacks) to reach the "no frustration" level that any new or newish player won't have.

- The inventory management is still hell. Tons of different sorts of boxes all rewarding the same set of basic materials you care about and a bunch of junk. However there are only a few tools for helping manage or deal with it easily at a potential loss. If you've played GW2 it's like that but needing to manually open a lot of bags instead of a stack at once, and no ability to sell your unidentified gear if you didn't want to open them all individually (and no material storage).

- Still so many simple QOL changes not implemented. Like you can now do a quest to access any cities storage from any other storage, but each storage is still individually separated and not combined together for easy viewing/management. The default path of conversations is going to cause you accept tons of quests you don't care about if you play multiple characters and speed through pointless menus. BDO has this incredibly annoying alert pop up system but even if you disable every single option relating to it you'll still get all the messages related to your guild members from that system. In order to deal with the market you have to move stuff from your inventory to the market warehouse, then you can manipulate it, and then move it back when you've bought something or are no longer selling it. There are at least 7 different types of "inventory" that I've found so far, all completely independent from the others.

- Remember I mentioned the questing for gear? You'll often see it described as free. Sure you can get it without spending real cash, but it's insanely grindy. It's free to the tune of dozens, at least, of hours of work. You might be able to buy the equivalent to the "free" gear before you actually get the free gear through money earned while grinding the free gear.

- I didn't get into the dungeons that have been added but I got up to 61 and tried just about everything else available. And of that, it's incredibly one note in enemy types. "Mechanics" equate to don't stand in the fire and very few enemies even have a "don't stand in the fire" mechanic to begin with. In theory you could say there is some depth with timing animations and dodges but I didn't find a single piece of PvE that drove me to figure out if that was even a thing. What little PvP I experienced was simply a matter of either you get stunned/grabbed and die to an alpha burst or nothing else matters.

- You don't have to grind in combat. You can do other things. Most of those other things are as grindy as just grinding through open world enemies, are done 99% AFK, or a literal way to mindlessly kill time. Life skills look deep because you've got multiple tiers of materials, several different forms of crafting, and individual items can be made of up to 5 different items, but at the end of the day it's literally just grinding/buying the right materials and press button. All the complexity and interesting moments are in maximizing your ability to gather materials faster or stack up your bonuses to level life skills faster. Most of the crafting time you'll be pressing button and walking away from the game to let it do it's thing. Horse breeding is 30 seconds of finding and capturing a horse, then AFK grinding it's levels and another 30 seconds of gambling on getting the right skills. Trading/Bartering is just picking an item up from an NPC, 30 seconds of setting a path, and AFK walking/sailing to the destination. I'm not a fashion person so there might be something to the game in that respect, although fashion items from the real money store are incredibly expensive. If you find something you enjoy it probably won't feel like a boring grind and that's great. Still a boring grindy system though.

All that may sound like problems other MMOs may have, but all of that is solo. There is very little need or encouragement to group up for anything. Life skills are solo experiences. There are some grind spots that recommend multiple people but the time and focus investment to make grinding worthwhile means you need friends/partners who are hyper dedicated to make it worth the effort in travel time and sticking around long enough over hitting a solo spot. There were only two times I could actively get together with others in a reasonable time frame that didn't feel actively pointless, doing Rift Echos (a mini-boss rush event for season characters to get season materials) and World Bosses (not grouped content, just show up at the spawn point and hit boss).

nessin fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU