Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Steam has Black Desert on sale for a dollar, so I picked it up. Anything particularly important to keep in mind as a new player at this point in time?

I like magical characters with minions, so I'm assuming that witch/wizard is a solid starting point, but I also saw some mention that the new "Nova" class can raise fallen enemy zombies and shoot ice blasts. Any other options that let you put something between you and the enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Not much of a minion character outside of tamer. Nova isn't really comparable to a necro, her attacks look like she's summoning but they are just part of the attack, they dont stay there for a significant amount of time.

The new corsair comes out today, theres always an event to get new classes leveled so you can always do that while running on the seasonal server. Thats what I'm going to be doing till the new games come out soon.

Thanks for the tips! I'll try both a mage and the new Corsair, since they might be getting big progression bonuses right now. Would you recommend the seasonal server over the "Olvia" servers for new/returning players? Can you benefit from both at once?

gwrtheyrn posted:

Seasons can be quite good for a new player. The gearing part of it isn't that important anymore since they added narchillan gear, but you can only get that once per account. The more important part imo is all the random crap it gives you like stacks, pets, and inventory space. The end of season rewards have generally been pretty good, but who knows where they're going with that. Grinding seasons is a pain in the rear end imo, but I guess some people like it

Witchard is the closest thing to magical characters with minions, but really minions are irrelevant for their stats. Their main utility is messing with autotargeting and sometimes letting you escape a cc by ccing the other person while they're comboing you.

Definitely sounding like creating a seasonal character is a good idea here. Based on my reading so far, the auto-looting pets give you is a major ease of play boost. How much grind are we talking to "clear" a season and graduate? Closest thing I've done before is the Genshin Impact battle pass, and that required about half an hour of work every day for 40 days.

Got it, mages each having two minion modes to swap between looks nice, but I probably ought not to depend on them for anything other than buying me a little breathing room in serious fights. What is a "cc"? Google suggests it stands for Crowd Control, which in turn stands for stun effects.