Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Ainsley McTree posted:

How big of a problem is that exactly? I'm curious about this game, because the lifeskills half of it looks fun, as does the combat, but getting ganked in open world PVP while I'm just trying to mind my own business in PVE is my least favorite thing about MMOs, so if that's something I can expect to encounter regularly in this, it may not be the game for me.

There are no PVE-only servers or anything, are there? Didn't look like it based on my googling.

I play on PS4 so I'm assuming this still applies to PC too (I haven't played BDO on PC in years).

There's one true open-world PVP server that also has a baked-in increase to item drop rate, so when you're high level and confident in your skills you can hop over there to grind and try to hold your own. Every other server has a karma system, and griefing/ganking people to push them out of your grind spot can hurt. So most of the time, nobody will try to mess with you unless you're purposefully encroaching on their grind rotation. It's basically a nuclear option unless you're just unlucky and happen across an absolute dick of a person.

If you're grinding and someone comes to encroach on you, you can either hop to one of the many other servers OR just leave and go somewhere else/go to another spot in the area. You don't lose anything from a PVP death except a bit of time, unless a mob gets the last hit and then you might lose some exp. But overall in my experience you can craft, gather and grind all without worrying about someone coming in and ganking you 99.9999% of the time. They really tried to make it PVE friendly without explicitly banning PVP.

EDIT: Also IIRC people can't even attack you until you're level 51 (or is it 50?), at which case they can flag up and attack you unprovoked (but again, nobody really does). So if you play casually and focus on crafting and gathering, the majority of the time nobody can even attack you even if they wanted. And the grinding spots where people get territorial are mostly end-game grinding spots which you won't even be going to for a while.
It honestly is one of the more "chill" MMOs I've played. The PVP is there but only if you want it. Griefers and PKers are few and far between.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

not very atm
more seriously, what's the best class for playing this game as a single player

Pretty much any class can grind, quest, and do lifeskills solo. Lahn is really good with self-heals so you don't have to worry about potions as much as others. Wizard and Witch also have pretty good sustain.

But honestly just pick whichever class seems cool and fun to you. Even the class least focused on PVE imho (Shai) is perfectly fine to level and grind with if you want.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Annath posted:

I'm just starting this game, what should I spend $20 on? That's my general limit for F2P games unless they really suck me in.

Also I suck at the button combos, is it easier with a controller?

Personally I think so, but there's way more documentation on combos and how-to guides for combat for the PC with keyboard nomenclature so figuring out how things work on console is a steeper learning curve IMHO.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

To expand my question, I realize that the game has no subscription like say WoW and instead tries to make all of it's money via the cash shop which it has no qualms of being overt about. The thing is if it turns out I only need to spend like $200 a year or something to get a quality experience then that isn't too far away from how much I'd pay for a yearly subscription for WoW or similar subscription based titles.

Or is the game experience only smooth and fair once you spend like $2,000?

Ainsley McTree posted:

If I may ask a piggyback question, exactly how miserable is the game going to be if you try to play it fully f2p?

I played this game F2P for a long, long time (on both PC back in the day and console more recently). Buying stuff with "real" money is really for edge cases, serious players, min-maxing, etc. If you can only play 2-4 hours per day and you want to maximize your efficiency in grinding/play time, yes it really does help.

All that said, again, it's for maximizing efficiency. If you're fine with making progress at your own pace, there is nothing to buy that is an actual true requirement. Along with that, you often get really good items you'd otherwise need to purchase just through log-in rewards (logging in daily for 30+ days in a cycle) and/or regular events.

I emphatically do not consider this game pay to win and I highly recommend you get into it.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I should also add that part of what appeals to me about this game is the lifeskills aspect of it; I like the idea of becoming a titan of industry on the backs of a workforce of drunk goblins

Is that part of the game also fairly approachable if you don't want to spend any real money, or does it start to get punishing quickly if you're just f2p?

Same thing - you can get to the end game for life skills all F2P. If you want to compete with other top-tier life skillers you'll probably need to spend some money to do so, but again it's really just spending money at the very end to squeeze every last bit of efficiency out. If you won't worry about that, then F2P is fine.