Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J
Jun 10, 2001

BubbaGrace posted:

I played BDO at release with the Starfleet Dental guys and am thinking of coming back to see how the game is these days. I really enjoyed the life skills, and am hoping they are not as shallow as they were at the time. From the OP and what I've read it appears they have. I just did the account transfer process to keep my account alive. Do they still have separate servers inside of the regions like before, or has it all been condensed down to one per region?

There is a lifeskill mastery system in game now, with lifeskill gear to go with it. You gain mastery from both your level in the life skill and what gear you have on, and it makes you do the thing better. Gather more stuff per attempt, cook more per attempt, process more at a time, and so on. Here's the original patch notes for when they launched the system: https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/3050

Servers are just one per region now yeah, NA, EU, etc. The old servers for each region all got merged into the one for each region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

Check your in game mail (hit B), sometimes when they re-do quests and change the rewards they will send you the new rewards in the mail if you already did those quests. Worth a shot.

J
Jun 10, 2001

The cash shop really depends on how "competitive" you want to be and your playstyle. The game does a whole lot of creating problems to sell you the solution. Some of these things will be more relevant to certain playstyles than others. There is also a "loyalty" shop where you can spend a currency called loyalties on certain things. You get 200 loyalties per day you log in. I'll see if I can list some of the things you might potentially want to buy. All of these things do go on sale for 20-50% off at least a few times per year, and they give out discount coupons every now and then too you can stack on top.

-Pets. I think nowadays you get 3 pets for free from doing the main story questline. You can have out up to 5 pets at once, they pick up loot for you. They also have some other smaller bonuses and effects, but the main thing is the loot pick up. There are 4 tiers of pets, 1-4. Higher tier pets have lower cooldowns on how often they pick up loot. Pets are typically about $9 each standard price, and to get higher tier pets you have to basically combine lower tier pets together. They will give out free pets here and there a few times a year. Often there are either bundles on the cash shop, or RNG boxes that contain pets that some players don't need so they will sell the pets on the market for in-game silver. These are still really tough to buy, but if you pay attention to when those bundles/RNG boxes are being sold you can try to buy those specific pets with in-game silver on the market. If you're going to be grinding mobs, which is a big part of the game, you definitely want 5 pets. If you're going real fast, 5 tier1 pets definitely will leave some loot behind. Hell, even 5 tier4 pets will leave loot behind sometimes depending on the spot. But you'll be able to get a feel for if you care enough about this before spending much money on it. Early game spots are "1 shot" spots where the enemies tend to just fall over instantly, mid-late game spots they are tankier so the pet looting speed becomes less important. Pets are account wide.

-Max weight limit. This is a lot less important than it used to be. The game used to bombard you with tons of heavy loot items, but they've dialed a lot of that back. And you can stack a huge quantity of 1 item type on your horse, so when you're grinding a spot you park your horse nearby and dump all the vendor trash on it to carry the weight. Note that max weight limit purchases are character specific. You'll probably finish the main quest with around ~800 LT in max carry capacity I think. However there are certain parts of the game, like cooking, where max weight capacity is really drat useful to carry more stuff to craft in one batch. Max weight purchases tend to be roughly 9 or 10 bucks per 100 LT. These are not unlimited purchases though, you can only buy a fixed quantity of each weight bundle per character. You can buy 4 loyalty +50 weight upgrades at 3500 loyalties per. If you're just grinding mobs you can probably skate by spending very little here if anything, more on that in a bit.

-Inventory space. The main quest gives out quite a lot of inventory space these days. I think a new character after finishing the main quest can end up with 60-80ish inventory spaces which is plenty for most use cases. For reference the absolute max if you bought space is 192. It's like $14 per 16 spaces or so if you buy the +16 packs, the smaller packs have a worse price ratio than that. These are also character specific. You can buy +4 inventory spots for 1500 loyalties, limit 2 per character.

-Maids. Maids have 2 types, storage and transaction, and a 20 minute cooldown per maid. They let you deposit or withdraw 100 LT worth of a stack of items into the region's capital city bank, or the marketplace warehouse respectively. These are usable account wide and are very handy for that reason. They really help mitigate the need for max weight limit and inventory spaces for all of your characters. They give out several maids for free per year. Standard price they are like $12 each.

-Outfits. Most of the gear in this game has you looking like you're wearing a potato sack unless you buy an outfit. Outfits are about $34, however these are sold by whales constantly on the market. Every week there is a new batch of outfits on discount and whales buy those in bulk to sell, so with a little patience you can get an outfit for in-game silver at about 335 million silver per outfit. 335 million will seem like a lot at first but it is a very low amount of money. If an outfit never goes on sale though, whales almost never sell it so you'll have to settle for whatever is on discount if you're trying not to spend real money.

-Costumes. These have some sort of functional bonus to them, like increasing cook speed, or reducing AFK fishing time, or helping you train horses, helping you swim faster, or hiding your name/guild from other players, etc. These are $20-$30 a pop, character specific, and cannot be bought on the market. The cooking one is insanely useful if you care about cooking, and swimming is horrible without one of the fish/shark costumes.

-Extra character slots. You start with 4 I believe, extras are $6 a pop although when a new class comes out around every 3 months the extra slot goes on discount to $3. Alt characters are very useful in this game, you'll probably want a few extra slots. You can also buy slots with loyalties, 10k loyalties per.

-"Subscription" type buffs. Value pack, blessing of kamasylve, old moon book. These vary in usefulness depending on playstyle. Value pack is the most useful one, $15/30 days. Usually a couple times per year they will offer a big value pack with a better price per time ratio.

edit: Forgot to briefly mention there is a lot more convenience/QOL stuff on the shop than what I listed here, but I think I hit all the biggest things that you'll probably feel pressured to buy if you do end up getting into the game.

J fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 15, 2021

J
Jun 10, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

Is it ok to post a list of stuff clogging up my storage? I’d like to identify endgame stuff I can eliminate because I’m casual and will never need it. I’ve been getting showered with items that are a mystery to me.

Yeah post it, a lot of it can probably be either trashed, vendored, or consumed. There is also a trick you can use to create some extra storage space. Go to a stable in a city somewhere, at the stable you can buy a trade wagon. I forget the exact name but buy the one with the most number of inventory slots. Then throw your junk in it and put it back in the stable. Buy another trade wagon and repeat, the stable capacity will fill up. Once it fills up you just use "remote collect" instead of check in, and you can overfill the stable with just about as many trade wagons as you want. Name them something to remind you what items they have. Note that this won't work for "trade items" which get destroyed when remote collect is used. If you think you might want to get into horse training and breeding, then don't do this at a stable near where you would be catching horses since you need stable space for that.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

This is most of it:

code:
Valks cry x 22  - Save, these are for increasing a failstack
Blessing of Kamasylve 7 days x 2 (don't stack)  - Save, if you decide you like gathering these are very useful for more energy regen
Mercenary's Skill 60 x 1  - Use it for skill exp when you're grinding
Item Collection Increase Scroll x 28 - These are called "loot scrolls" by the community and significantly boost the amount of loot you get. If you are casual you will probably get more of these than you can ever use, so use one whenever you're grinding
Premium Elixir Box x 3 - Can open the box and consume these whenever they'd be applicable
Oasis Dream Chest x 2 - Open these, they give these out every day. Usually will have something you can use or sell on the market right away. 
Event high quality draught box x 5 - See premium elixir box. 
Rainbow gem fruit x 3 - Sell on market, these are for making tier9 horses which you won't have to worry about for a long rear end time if ever. 
Spirit pouch of ferocious beast x 3 - Same as rainbow gem fruit. 
J's hammer of loyalty - Save this, it gives you a free shot at an enhancement attempt. Do note it has an expiry date but I would stall and use it later once you're more familiar with how enhancing works. 
Tuvala ore x 54  - Save these, these are for acquiring tuvala gear which is for seasonal characters.
Refined magical black stone x 20 - Use these to guarantee a tri tuvala enhancement. 
time-filled black stone x 700 - These are for enhancing tuvala gear, save these to enhance your season characters gear, and as a new player you definitely want to be playing seasons. 
Burning moonlight black stone x 28 - Save these, these are for the pen accessory daily questline and are using for enhancing that accessory. I would recommend picking crescent guardian ring. 
Cron stone x 676 - Save these, they protect an item from downgrading on a failed enhancement attempt. 
Event daybreak stone x 4   - I don't remember what these are lol
Event secret scroll of devotion 20 x 2 - Don't remember these either
Laila's petal x 6 - You can turn these in at the node "kamasylve temple" east of heidel for fairy wings. Fairy wings unbox into a random tier fairy. You want a tier4 fairy (I think the prefix is "radiant" but I could be mis remembering). 
Black gem fragment x 1 - Sell on market
Ancient spirit dust x 38 - Hit L, select simple alchemy, and select ancient spirit dust and a blackstone armor or blackstone weapon to turn 5 dust into 1 caphras stone. Then sell the caphras stone on market. 
Fairy powder x 15 - I think this is just the 10k silver vendor trash item. 
Event artisan's memory x 20  - Save these, when you fail an enhance the gear loses max durability. You can use either memory fragments or a duplicate copy of the gear to repair the max durability, and artisan's multiply that repair value by 5. 
Event advice of immortality x 4 - Right click these, they will either turn into another advice of  _____ thingie to click on, or will turn into a random reward item that you can probably sell on the market or use immediately.
Event shining shakatu's seal x 5 - Save these, you get 10 a month + sometimes random giveaways on top of that and the exchangable items are worth quite a bit. 
Event tachros's spirit stone x 1 - An unrepairable alchemy stone that isn't particularly special. You can just use it when appropriate by equipping it and hitting U, or checking the "auto use" box below it. When it runs out of fuel you can toss it. 
Event magical elixir x 2 - Turns a 15 minute draught into a 1 hour draught. As a new player this is whatever, you could vendor it if is has silver value or toss it, not a big deal. 
Enchanted scroll +20 x 1 - Save these, these can be crafted into "advice of valks +20" which is a consumable item to give you what the community calls a "Failstack" that boosts your enhancing chance. 
Event secret book of old moon 7 days x 1 - Gives exp buffs and some other perks. Save this for a 7 day period where you feel like you'll have the most time to be playing to take advantage of the exp boosts. 
Event shakatu's shiny box Life x 1 - Open it and most likely sell whatever it spits out on the market. 
Yona's fragment x 5 - save these, you'll need em for the pen accessory quest later. 
Advice of valks +50 x 1 - save this
Destruction spirit stone x 1 - Equip it and use it when grinding by pressing U or using the "auto use" checkbox on the character equipment sheet. When it runs out of durability you can unequip it, hit L, select "Grind", and grind it into mystical spirit powder which can repair other alchemy stones that are actually repairable. Spirit stones are not repairable but normal alchemy stones are. 
Event black magic crystal box x 1- open it, probably sell the contents. 
Black spirit essence x 2 - Normally you can't remove crystals from your gear without one of these, a cash shop item. Save these. 
Event enhancement help kit II x 1 - Open it and save or sell the contents. 
Theia's orb x 3 - Save these although you probably wont use them for a long time. Used for rerolling fairy skills which do help a lot but this is normally a cash shop item. 
Caphras stone bundle - 5 x 2 - Open and sell, caphras stones are an end game thing you don't need to worry about for a while. 
Sharp black crystal shard - 3 x 1 - Sell, this is an enhancement mat for non-season weapons. 
Caphras stone x 6 - Sell
Caphras stone bundle x 1 - Open and sell
Event advice of safety x 3 - Right click, it will either turn into another advice of ____, or give you a random reward. Probably sell the reward. 
Black spirit's adventurer box x 4 - Open, sell the contents. 
Arcana of fate box x 1 - Open, right click on all the thingies it gives which are for the black spirit board game. 
Sacred statue of ashula x 1 - I think this is just vendor trash? 
Concentrated magical black stone - weapon x 1 - Sell, this is a non-season weapon enhancement mat
Whale tendon potion x 1- Sell
Variety of dim magical crystals - Newbie starter crystals. Use em or toss em don't think it matters
Variety of weapon exchange coupons - Save these, they give them out very rarely and can change weapon types from one class to another. Useful for rerolling at end game when you have real expensive weapons. 

My thoughts - when I use the term "Sell" I mean on the marketplace, not to a vendor. If it goes to a vendor I tried to say "Vendor" instead.