Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

I picked this back up since quitting in 2018 and I must say that all of the quality of life improvements have made this a vastly better game.

All of the assistance gearing via the season system and the storyline quests taking you to lvl 59 seem to make this a much different experience than at launch.

Sure I’m in for a huge grind past lvl 60 or whatever, but getting to a state where it’s comfortable to do so was much easier.

Im 4 days in on a new character and already sitting at 207ap/277dp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

I'm reading the grumpy green guide on it right now...good to know.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Stormgale posted:

Is there a good updated overview of classes, I keep getting the urge to play but things have changed so much and I kind of want a TLDR

I've been using https://grumpygreen.cricket/

Seems to be the most up to date and current source for info. lot of useful guides

But there is a new class; the Corsair that is real new that I don't see much on. Had to join the class discord, but there is plenty of info there.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 5, 2021

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

ADVI-CEOF-HEID-EL21 - 150 Failstack
WAVE-OFCR-ONST-ONES - 500 Crons
WAVE-OFEX-CHCO-UPON - 3x Wep Exchange Coupons
WAVE-OFPI-RATE-LOOT -Treasure Box (300caphra 500crons T8 horse 7D blessing old moon
SEEW-HATI-SWRI-TTEN - Fine Acc Box III
THE1 - 00WA - SWOR - THIT - 5x Item scroll 3x Warm Black Tea

2021-HEID-ELHA-MMER - J HAMMER
SUMM-ER20-21SE-ASON
-Tuvala Ore x50
-Refined Magical Black Stone x50
-Time-filled Black Stone x300
-Cron Stone x100
-Rift's Echo x1

JOES-GUIL-DTAL-K101
-Combat & Skill EXP 300% Scroll (60 min)
-Extra Combat EXP Scroll
-Extra Skill EXP Scroll

DAYN-ASEA-SONS-TALK ( Time filled Black Stones x100 )
KAIO-URAC-USTO-MIZE (Black Spirit's Special Dice Piece x15)
JULY-SUMM-ERSE-ASON

Here are some current codes for free stuff, apologies for the formatting, cba to fix it.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 6, 2021

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Thank you!

EDIT: I can't seem to turn off the Enhancement spam. In the alert settings I turned off both success and failure for other players and that didn't do anything.

I think it takes a client restart, I noticed the same thing, but it did stop eventually and I think that is just for the UI alert, you have to turn it off in chat separately

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Yeah it’s all shared. You can get more storage slots by buying housing in the town with the storage option.

I’d recommend running through the main story line, that’ll give you a good chunk of contribution.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 11, 2021

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

It really is a huge boost to leveling and gearing. The armor has a higher chance to upgrade that non-season and going through the quests etc they throw tons of the upgrade mats at you.

At the end of the season and if you complete the season pass you get two coupons to exchange the season only gear to boss gear and then as a bonus you get an item that lets you mirror the season character you leveled to another character so you can potentially have two level 61-63 characters. (although only one set of gear between them I believe)

You get various rewards for leveling and doing certain tasks as well (there is an F2P track and a paid track to double the rewards). and then as a bonus you get a quest item so you can mirror your characters combat and skill xp to another character.

Edit: I've been back playing two weeks now and have a season character at level 61 with full PEN(V) season armor and TRI(III) accessories.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 15, 2021

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The actual exp boost from being in the seasonal server isnt that much from being in regular servers, the soft cap of 61 is just much easier to get to now than before. The big advantage of seasonal characters is all the extra loot and easy gearing you get. The gear you get is almost as good a tetra boss gear, which is one step above the sort of gear softcap of tri but the gear is locked for that character only.

When the game launched the softcap was I think like 53, its a big difference from before.

Once the season ends the gear is family bound and not character locked.

Additionally if you use the boss gear exchange coupon, that gear can’t be sold.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

I dropped the $30 bucks on the season pass and I've had ~30 days of value pack / old moon / kamasylve buff from the rewards from all of that, so thats nice, but you certainly can get away without buying the pass. also as a returning player the Olvia servers you have access to for 30 days are real nice for the buffs. There are also a ton a coupon codes to claim for free stuffs.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

This is most of it:

code:
Valks cry x 22 -Save
Blessing of Kamasylve 7 days x 2 (don't stack)- Save
Mercenary's Skill 60 x 1 - Use when grinding/questing
Item Collection Increase Scroll x 28 - Use when grinding/questing
Premium Elixir Box x 3 - Open and drink now
Oasis Dream Chest x 2 open or save, its daily bonus items. You get 1 every 30min up to 12/day right now.
Event high quality draught box x 5 - Open and use for grinding
Rainbow gem fruit x 3
Spirit pouch of ferocious beast x 3
J's hammer of loyalty - Save
Tuvala ore x 54 - Used for enhancing seasonal gear...use
Refined magical black stone x 20 - used for enhancing
time-filled black stone x 700 - used for seasonal gear
Burning moonlight black stone x 28
Cron stone x 676 - used to prevent enhancement level drop above DUO gear. keep.
Event daybreak stone x 4 -smash these with the scrolls below to up grade...I personally got rid of these.
Event secret scroll of devotion 20 x 2 - See above.
Laila's petal x 6 - use these for the fairy quest at kamasylve temple - store
Black gem fragment x 1
Ancient spirit dust x 38 - used to make caphras stones - store.
Fairy powder x 15
Event artisan's memory x 20 - keep, used for repairing durability loss and upgrade fails
Event advice of immortality x 4
Event shining shakatu's seal x 5 - save/store
Event tachros's spirit stone x 1 - use
Event magical elixir x 2
Enchanted scroll +20 x 1
Event secret book of old moon 7 days x 1 - I use these. This is one of the "subscription" items exp bonus and a few other bonuses.
Event shakatu's shiny box Life x 1 - open it
Yona's fragment x 5 - save
Advice of valks +50 x 1 - save
Destruction spirit stone x 1 - use or sell
Event black magic crystal box x 1 - open
Black spirit essence x 2 - 
Event enhancement help kit II x 1 - open and bank the items
Theia's orb x 3 - store for fairy things
Caphras stone bundle - 5 x 2 - open and store these are used for non-seasonal gear
Sharp black crystal shard - 3 x 1 - store
Caphras stone x 6 - save/store
Caphras stone bundle x 1 - open/store
Event advice of safety x 3
Black spirit's adventurer box x 4 - open
Arcana of fate box x 1
Sacred statue of ashula x 1
Concentrated magical black stone - weapon x 1 - save/store/sell used for enhancing
Whale tendon potion x 1 - sell on the central market.
Variety of dim magical crystals - vendor them imo
Variety of weapon exchange coupons - save/store in case you think you might wanna change class, will let you switch weapons.

I did a quick run through of the items I recognized.

I would run through the main story quest and grind a little bit on the way through those zones, you will level quite quickly.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jL-U4O4gA0d4e5OdO6v7stmZi_2NDTy-FXdXkR7huv4/view#heading=h.4kt0d4od7v0a

Highly recommend following this guide if you are participating in the season with a new character. (I'd recommend doing that.)

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 17, 2021

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Thank you both for the time you put into this.

EDIT: First character I made is seasonal, but I immediately made several alts to test out the classes. I've been enjoying gathering and crafting so I've spent alot of time on that, but I'm taking each alt through the main quest to see if I like them. Will probably purge a couple to make room to try the last classes that interest me. Today I'm making beer for my worker and feed for my pets and that's given me the chance to try new things like collecting and purifying water so I don't have to buy it.

I think I will see if I can grab a few more house in Velia to boost my storage, which will take the pressure off of managing all this stuff.

If you aren't aware, at character selection you can select the trial tab and have a level 60 with full skill points to take to the battle arena.

Obviously no progession or anything saved, but a good way to try out a leveled character.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 18, 2021

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

My main Seasonal character is still wrestling with inventory management instead of questing, so I created one of those little elf characters to try lifeskills. I'm also taking the character through the MQ and I was amazed at how much I found to do in the starting region, long after I received quests to go to Heidel. I've only scratched the surface with nodes and workers, some of it is appealing, some less so.

Decided to go check out Heidel just for the heck of it, but ran into several quests along the way that distracted me, wound up back "home" making meat stews and stir-fry! I was disappointed to find out that the purified water I'd been producing does not replace mineral water in cooking recipes. Who cooks with mineral water anyway?

I got a token for a golden horse, and it goes quick but is barely controllable. Of all the things to be flummoxed by. Leaving my first horse back in the starter region for my other alts to use while I keep trying to get all the way to Heidel.

Is it bad that I give each alt a single lifeskill just so they can generate a little income while they're out in the world? So one is logging, another collecting meat, etc. The elf is doing all the heavy lifting skillwise.

I just do fishing and cooking for income generation, processing is relatively easy too. I don't do a whole lot of gathering or farming. (farming I think is fairly contribution point intensive to do any meaningful amount and not really an afk-able activity to my understanding.)
You can set a hotkey in your settings to minimize BDO to the task tray so you can let your AFK fishing or crafting go without taking up a giant amount of system resources.

On each of the quests there is a "navigate" button and you can just press "T" to auto-run on foot or your mount to the destination. (it is slightly slower than manually controlling your character to the destination.)

I think I would focus on getting one character leveled to 61 through the MQ and then figuring out which content you'd like to try from there. Whether it be sailing/pvp/lifeskilling etc. That will give you a good chunk of contribution points and energy to work with. You can also have other characters as an energy bank so to speak since they all get their own pool.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Ort posted:

What’s up with this new dungeon I saw in an email? Is it a new type of content they’re trying out?

https://www.blackdesertfoundry.com/atoraxxion-dungeon-guide/

I think this is the most current info. It was just released in Korea in June.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Can you try the coupon codes in this thread? You'll get like 500 cron stones from the heidel ball codes and those are valid until 31 July.

Otherwise I would keep a set at TET for your primary gear and then use a duplicate piece to try and PEN with.

Also, you should get quite a few if you do the season pass thing.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

I think people buy the value packs only when they have things to sell on the marketplace because of the tax bonus, and you can buy like a one day pass with loyalties when you need the money.

Old moon blessing I think is for grinding heavily or raising a life skill. I only have them right now because they were from the season pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I think my biggest problem remains determining which skills and combos I can use to create a simple rotation. I don't have the brainpower for complicated rotations, but even so it's a challenge to compare skills. My usual method of sorting out DD, AoE, DoT, etc. skills is difficult with the way the skills interface shows details. I find myself letting skill points pile up because as I dig through the options I can't determine if any of them offer an advantage. "Higher" level skills that are linked to lower ones often don't seem to be an improvement, at least not from trying to compare details.

That said I enjoy this game, I just know that I am playing in a deeply unoptimized and inefficient manner. I have one character on the Seasonal server, one that is following the MQ and doing loads of lifeskills, and a third on the MQ and just doing butchering/simple alchemy. I find myself doing a little planning before I log on so I can manage the workers, gathering and crafting, moving ingredients around and the like.

Also I have like 60 of those Oasis boxes stored up. I really need to buckle down and clear all that stuff out.

I'm pretty sure you want to play a guardian then, dead simple rotation of like 4 skills; a pretty chill class for what you describe.

I would concentrate on doing the main story quest on your seasonal character as that will give you the most contribution (this will open up your ability to do more lifeskill things with workers etc.) as well as leveling rewards and if you get a character to 60-61 you'll be able to copy it over and have 2 characters somewhat ready to go.