Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have some no-knead pizza dough currently doing its thing on the counter.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html

The last ones came out pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm not a huge fan of paying people in scrip but the alternative to having accommodation provided is that some fucker buys up all the rooms available en masse and then starts charging people through the nose to rent them, so on balance it seems like a pretty good system as is

He's not saying that. They should pay the going rate for that job and also provide accommodation and food.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Dogatron posted:

I ended up in an office with a manager from HR for saying non white. I am not going to provide a detailed description of the history of colonialism, slavery and its geography when explaining why you should be careful about putting on pneumatic tourniquets.

You can probably point to a much more broad-brush use of race in the eGFR of any U&E test. It's still clinically useful though.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2028243

(when it was crucial to know kidney function at the institution I worked at we directly measured it with the radiolabelled EDTA method - very simple. I still have to get hospitals to directly measure kidney function sometimes and the US places have never heard of that, they measure 24 hours of piss)

Guavanaut posted:

Unless you know that the vast majority of your black presenting population is from the Congo or Niger delta region (as it is in Jamaica and the American South for reasons) you're better off asking what language they speak at home than going by skin melanation.

Aaah... What language do people in the American South speak at home? I don't think this is going to be any better.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 6, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jose posted:

If you accept one and want to go to the us on holiday you need to declare it and then your esta or whatever it's called will be rejected requiring you to go to the us embassy for an interview.

Based on what's happened to friends who had them

It depends when you got it and what it's for.

https://davieslegal.com/news/approach-caution-frequently-asked-questions-effect-cautions-admissibility-u-s/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Unsurprisingly in the article none of the scientists are actually calling for a debate, just saying there will be one (which is still a stupid thing to say).

I was keen to get angry at the SPI-M and looked up the list of members, turns out someone I studied epidemiology with is on it, which makes me feel old and a bit underachieving.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Re cruises, the MTS Oceanis is a good story. The boat sinks off the coast of South Africa, the captain and boat driving crew gently caress off in the lifeboats, rescue is organised by the ship's magician

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiuK7qcxU4

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The main reason healthcare insurance is stupid is because it's not like your house burning down or other rare events. Everyone needs healthcare, at varying levels but continuously throughout life. Costs obviously vary depending on what illness you get, but I think maintaining the population's health is way more like maintaining roads than trying to hedge against surprise events.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Switzerland appears to still have teletext and naturally has the price of gold on the first news page.

http://mobile.txt.ch/SRF1/102/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Trin Tragula posted:

If either of you want to expand on that, let's have a conversation.

lol

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The problem with watching team sports is people get so absurdly into "their" team in place of having a personality. FP goes into total lockdown some match days (I guess Spurs matches), mounted police everywhere, aggro gammony fuckheads drunkenly screaming all over the place.

I enjoy watching endurance sports quite a bit. Cross country skiing (or biathlon as well) is awesome, the competitors are absolutely at their limits and there's lots of opportunity for people to overtake or get knackered and drop back. Cycling can be good as well but more of a background watch seeing as the races go on for weeks.

e: I made pizza.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 21, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Anyone that's not Jeff Wode doesn't need to have 15 different items in their cooked breakfast, and doing more than 2 or 3 means you'll inevitably gently caress up at least one of them (eg the overcooked eggs in that pic).

This is breakfast:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Best roads though hands down has to go to the Swiss. Everyone thinks it’s the Germans and theirs are very good overall, but Swiss roads are just crazy. So is their phone service, we were half way up a mountain in the middle of buttfuck nowhere and still had full 4G reception.

The other side to this is that they're constantly resurfacing the autoroutes.

Also the Swiss are loving terrible drivers.