Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

multijoe posted:

Credit to Sturgeon for being the only major party leader to do literally anything on the matter I guess

It's almost certainly more about the internal squabbles between Sturgeon and Salmond than her trans phobia, though the transphobes do see more aligned with Eck for some reason...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Douglas4Moray/status/1356219908691013633?s=19

Wee Dougie Woss standing outside St Andrews House in the snow, bawling his eyes out as he screams "DEBATE ME" to the terror of passersby.

keep punching joe posted:

Someone on the NEC leaked legal documents to Wings, Cherry was recently elected to the NEC, Cherry sacked from front-bench days after NEC documents leaked to Wings.

Maybe I'm just doing a 2+2=5 though.

LOL imagine wanting to be associated with that oval office. That Wings isn't disowned by the Nats is the biggest black mark on the indy movement

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Niric posted:

Yes! Good fresh bread is amazing. My shameful bougie secret is spending at least £9 a week on bread but I don't care because it's goddamn delicious

it's made by a social enterprise that works with prisoners, so that gets me a nicer spot on the wall, right?

There's a bakery in Inverness which is just so much nicer than anything I've ever had from Tesco, sort of thing where I could eat an entire sourdough loaf from them in a day if it wasn't so pricey & if it wouldn't leave me feeling awful. (If you or anyone else is ever in Inverness some day after the plague is gone, & really want a nice loaf of bread, it's on Tomnahurich Street, corner of Montague Row)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Was chatting to my mam about that ad earlier & she thought I was taking the piss and made it up.

Diseased to the core.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Want to forsake this benighted land?
Various science/tech/mechanics/boatperson jobs in Antarctica (and some in Cambridge).

https://www.bas.ac.uk/jobs/vacancies/

I checked but they don't want to hire Antarctica's first ever dedicated wrestling watcher so gently caress the BAS's shocking lack of vision

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

He was on stage clapping when ex-MP Laura Smith called for a general strike at 2018 The World Transformed

He's got my vote

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

The ironic thing is, at the moment Brian Braddock (the on-again/off-again Captain Britain) has a beard and looks more like a younger, swoller Jeremy Corbyn than he does Sir Keir Ktammer*.

Source: Avengers (2018) # 11.

* = In the tradition of Stan Lee I did the double Initial thing for Keir.

I've been reading through *all of Marvel from Fantastic Four #1 for nearly 2 years and am nearly up to 1990. I already want to go back and reread the Alan Moore Captain Britain stuff (The Daredevils in particular was a cool book because as well as including Moore's Cap and Miller's Daredevil you get Alan Moore writing about stuff. Like him going to a convention or him reviewing fanzines which was so loving cool).

*All in this case basically meaning main 616 continuity that is on Marvel Unlimited or I can find :filez: of. And that isn't super powering, for instance Werewolf By Night in the 70s quickly became a must skip. See, he turns into a dog and he's called Jack Russell, geddit?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Of course.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Sorta related.
One of my current medications has a 'DO NOT USE WITH GRAPEFRUIT' on it.
And the reason I found mindblowing.
Never knew grapefruit can cause you to overdose yourself on accident, killing people every year.

poo poo sucks. I miss grapefruit, was maybe my favourite citrus fruit. I didn't have it open but it was a nice treat a few times a year. Mind you, one less item of fruit is a small price to pay for not wanting to die 300 days a year so I accept it.

I remember looking into it & finding out bergamot had the same poo poo as grapefruit but wasn't mentioned on the label. So I asked my GP about it because I'd gotten into Earl Grey & she decided I was fine so :shrug:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TACD posted:

Let’s get those children back in school, no ifs or buts!

Up to 100 UK children a week hospitalised with rare post-Covid disease

I think I'm going to ease off on criticising Kieth for sitting on the fence all the time, because the only times he's come off it, to get the kids back to school & to suspend Jeremy Corbyn from the PLP, have been disastrously loving stupid.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Alex Salmond is having a 'mare

https://twitter.com/GerryHassan/status/1357615077961170945?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

This was the front page of the Morning Star yesterday. loving outrageous and yet utterly not shocking.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

What's the deal with QCs? My understanding is its a twitter blue tick but for real life British government larpers

Apparently self-importance to the point of self-delusion is a vital quality in the profession.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Re: Starmer, I just read a Marina Hyde article (yeah, I know) where she plausibly argues that, much as we tell our GP that we only drink 14 units a week (then get shitfaced), we tell pollsters that we want bland, managerial, centrist politicians (then go out and vote for energetic politicians who'll do fun, exciting stuff and keep us entertained). Starmer's incessant avoidance of risk bores the electorate to death and he'd honestly do better if he found a few good controversies and leapt into them with his fists swinging.

Someone find Kieth a field to run through!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1357826641758744576?s=20

Boris has finally saved the union, by sending the Queen's totally forgotten 3rd son to live in Scotland.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Maugrim posted:

Why? Is it possible that it's because the use of the word is not as divorced from its meaning as you think?

I'm reading it as "I wouldn't call a woman a oval office because then it would easily be taken as a gendered insult" which to my mind translates as "I call a man a oval office because I have an unconscious bias against women"

We can't help our unconscious biases but we can definitely try to recognise them and consciously compensate.

I may be totally wrong though! I don't personally use oval office, it's a bit strong for me as a southerner.

I did call Theresa May a oval office. Maggie Thatcher was a oval office. Lots of women are cunts.

The problem with giving up the word oval office, and I can see why some want to, is just there's no other word that I've come across that accurately combines the hard consonant sound with being a meaning that manages to cover idiot, cruel monster & other features like showing how much contempt you hold someone in. It's basically the perfect curse word because it sounds as vicious as it's meant to mean. It's a word that can be described as being spat out. I really value that.

But where I draw the line is that I'd never refer to a vagina as a oval office for basically the same reason: it's a foul word & should be reserved for foul things & vaginas aren't deserving of that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mebh posted:

My dad and his friends used to refer to women's vaginas as cunts in most of their gross old man style jokes. It was definitely objectified and sexist in that context.

When I moved to America 10 years ago and used it at work there to refer to one of my friends as a "bit of a oval office" you could hear a penny drop, and a colleague said "You used the c-word!!!!" it was explained that it had far worse connotations in the USA, I apologised and stopped using it. No harm done.

Fast forward 10 years, we're far more globalised, and it honestly feels like it should be consigned to the annals of history along with "retard" and "fag" . Ugh, I feel gross even typing those in this context.

Yes, it's an easy way out to refer to tories. However I'll just settle for calling them what they are. Evil Assholes. We all have an rear end in a top hat after all. Why bring gendered insults into it in 2021? There's so many more creative ways to refer to them. Fucktrumpets, poo poo pouches etc etc.

Yes, but none of them are nearly as potent as oval office. Fucktrumpet is a comedy term. oval office is vicious. And not just in meaning but in sound.

Perhaps the rest of the world should accept the Aussies & Scots (& the Irish I think?) are right, oval office is a great word.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/swgannon/status/1358676372999319552?s=20

A Professor of Moral Theology saying that the British Empire wasn't essentially racist or exploitative is the best thing I'll read this year.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Pop quiz: without looking it up who is the leader of the Lib Dems right now?

I only know because I heard Ed Davey on the radio within the last fortnight.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

All the comedians who’ve appeared on the Bugle are generally sound, though Andy seems to be slipping into liberalism

The Bugle was always pretty liberal.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Coolcab is on one about perfidious Scots again I see.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Yep. Another "You can do it to if you have parents that pay for everything"

Also lol @ retiring at 45 with £1m.

I don't think most people realise that £1m isn't that huge amount of money.

Though I guess he's probably going to inherit his parents house and their wealth when they die.

It's not living in the lap of luxury for the rest of your days money but you could absolutely live a perfectly comfortable life with a mil. Buy a home for £200k somewhere unfashionable and you'd have enough for a £20k a year lifestyle for 40 years, without the largest expense of housing to cover. That'd take me to 76. So if someone wants to throw me a cool mil I promise not to work again

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

What's Margaret Hodge MP's qualification for being there, other than President of the "We Hate Jeremy Corbyn" club?

Pretty antisemitic to suggest that this isn't enough reason.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Being a dick about people wanting to go on holiday after a year of lockdown misery isn't as good a take as most of this thread seem to think. God forbid people should be asking whether they might be able to go and do something enjoyable to blow off some steam in the near future.

I can't blame anyone for being desperate to get away from this hellhole. But it's loving irresponsible & selfish. We'd not be enduring lockdown misery last year if people loving behaved themselves last year (combined with a government who cared more about dealing with the pandemic than keeping Wetherspoons open). It's infuriating. So loving what if it's "not a good take", I'm angry. I want to be able to go to gigs again. I want to just be able to walk into a record store & browse their vinyl. I want to be able to sit on a bus that has its windows closed in February.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1360265725705936896?s=20

Jewdas with a fun review of David Baddiel's new book.

You'll be unsurprised to find out that it's not overly glowing: "In reality, Jews Don’t Count has two principal uses: as a detailed post-mortem of a brain rotted by Twitter and as an illustration of the intellectual dead-end championed by liberals still dreaming of a return to the good old days of 1997."
"To Baddiel’s eyes, ‘progressives’ seem to include the BBC, football club manages, his mates, Twitter user @potato_in_my_ass, Waterstones managers, David Cameron, the HR department of major corporations, the Observer, Twitter user @blue_tick_respecter69 and basically everyone to the Left of Nigel Farage (Are Huguenots White? Baddiel doesn’t say)."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

atleast somebody is enjoying it, all I've done is clear out my steam backlog and watch all those prestige tv shows everyone told me to watch.

It's this but watching wrestling instead of watching prestige TV, because prestige TV was a thing I gave up on when everybody told me Breaking Bad was the greatest thing ever & it ended up being nearly as dumb of Sons of Anarchy & a lot less fun than the first 2 seasons of that show.

crispix posted:

they're not going because they're not allowed

and i don't think they're scum, just morons

I've never been to a party island, the idea has always been incredibly dull to me because I'm an incredibly dull person. But looking at holidays abroad right now that I know I'll not go on? Yes I'm doing this. Hell, I've even looked at cruises & even before the pandemic I had no intention of ever stepping aboard one of those plague vessels. It's just nice planting ideas in the head of potentially going a place that isn't a walk along the beach path in -3 weather. The same beach path I've walked on almost every day for the last year.

I've always been bordering on anti-social so in a sense this pandemic has not been particularly rough & even I'm reaching a point where I just want to loving go somewhere that's not here. I'd settle for a weekend in an Inverness hotel because it's just wanting a change of scenery for a couple of nights. I feel a lot of empathy to more gregarious types & people with kids. It must be miserable. I don't think wondering when it'll end is a bad thing, I think it's eminently human. I do think we have to remind people that the longer we dillydally with half solutions the less chance we have of ending the cycle of mild lockdown to very tight lockdown & back to a slow opening up before having to lockdown again. We know this is true because we can look at examples around the world where they are able to open up almost completely because draconian measures were taken. Like I said the other day, I really want to go to gigs. I want to waste time flicking through the vinyl section at the local record store. I'm relatively blessed to not be massively inconvenience (as someone on UC I'm actually saved a tedious & utterly pointless long trip to town now which is joyous tbh) & I'm still past the point of wanting it all to end. But my old man has just been diagnosed COPD & he's only in his mid 60s & I don't particularly want him to die. I don't think 1,000 people dying every day if we just stop caring about the pandemic is going to be good for society's mental wellbeing either.

It's easy to go "well the government hosed up the response a year ago" because they transparently did. I'm not sure that's a good reason to give up on trying to at least minimise the numbers in ICU to below maximum capacity.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

what the gently caress

Liberalism

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah, none of Boris's big schemes get past the planning stages but the people enlisted to plan it rake in millions.

Like that private Garden Bridge that cost millions and never even started construction.

"Failed London Garden Bridge project cost £53m - BBC News" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-london-47228698

It's a con. It's like you paying me a million quid of someone else's to figure out a way to build a staircase to the moon with no consequences if I fail. Window dressing for corruption.

I'll always love the Estuary Airport.

Honestly, Boris seemed keener on the big infrastructure projects when he was Mayor than as PM. He seems entirely focused on that loving tunnel to Ireland. It's great. Easier to worry about projects that'll never happen than those that might involve him doing some work.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Miftan posted:

Please don't interact with Breath Ray as he is an actual nazi.

Yes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The end result of this is that antisemitism becomes an utterly meaningless insult that's used like calling centre-right libs in America communists. Which is unequivocally a bad thing because antisemitism is real & is very bad. But at some point it just becomes white noise because it's "antisemitic" to attack white Anglo billionaires, even when the people doing the attacking are Jewish left wing groups.

Anyway, my dad's lungs seem incredibly hosed up. Which isn't a surprise considering he's been a heavy smoker for 50+ years. The part that is a surprise & a concern is a week ago he was out doing his job, maintaining the garden of a whisky distillery, which is quite physical work. Today he couldn't walk more than a few hundred metres on the flat without needing to take a rest. It's just the rapid nature of the decline that's a worry really. Like, if he carries on at this rate he'll not be able to get up the stairs in a week.

Anyway, that's my personal poo poo that I just needed to get off my chest.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 15, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CoolCab posted:

jesus bud. has he been tested?

I think he's trying to get tested. Today was the first I heard COVID even being considered: last Wednesday he went to the GP & they said he probably has COPD & they were going to schedule a hospital appointment to have his chest looked at, it was really only the weekend when he got really bad. Until then he struggled a bit in the morning when he woke up with the air being so cold but he could eventually ramp up & get through the day. So uhhh, if he's got COPD & COVID that's a heck of a double whammy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Raeg posted:

I'm not afraid to ask the big questions, like is Keir Starmer Labour's Iain Duncan Smith? More and more people are saying this.

IDS had a vision. It was dystopian & cruel & loving nightmarish but I don't think he works as a comparison. IDS is no where near as vapid as Smithers.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Laughing at Caroline Lucas, Green spokesperson on International Trade as if she wasn't also the Green spokesperson on every other topic too, by default of being their lone MP.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mebh posted:

I thought Starmer was more the William Hague of the Labour Party.

"Vote for me, at university I regularly drank 18 pints on a night out".

Yeah, that works.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I always remember the police coming in and telling us not to use temporary tattoos as drug dealers use them to trick kids into getting addicted to LSD.

Just so completely bafflingly bollocks.
Is LSD addiction even a thing?

That whole "police come to school to scare you off drugs" thing was a good lesson in don't believe their lies vis a vis the polis

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I might be the outlier but I definitely can not imagine the idea of the police coming to your school to teach you how to fight people.

That isn't a thing you get unless you join the cadets or something, the implication in my part of the country was definitely that most of us would be in jail soon anyway but we shouldn't make any trouble before we get there.

Camrath went to an independent school so they can be trusted, mere plebs cannot.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

An update on my old man, since people were kind enough to show concern: he's still got to have a COVID test just in case but the doctors are confident it's "just" a standard chest infection type of deal & so he's been loaded up on steroids & antibiotics & hopefully that'll kick his lungs into gear. Which is not the worst diagnosis all things concerned. Not quite prepared mentally to bury him yet.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

What.. religion..? Being good at football?

It's definitely implying Catholicism.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

I realise you're an ethnonationalist idiot but a genuine Galaxy Brain Meme moment most politically aware people have at some point in their lives is that Britain is actually pretty good.

If your soul was floating down to earth and you were gonna be gay or trans then the UK would be a good spot to aim for. If you were gonna be a woman it would be a good spot to aim for. If you were gonna be disabled it would be a good spot to aim for. This is objectively true if measured against almost any other place a soul might happen to land.

Vitamin P accusing anyone else of being ethnonationalist is a hoot.

Britain is poo poo mate. That it's less poo poo than a lot of places doesn't change that. It's a nation of cruel, petty, small-minded bigots. Maybe that's just human nature and this is the best we can manage. That isn't reassuring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

lmao remember the mural that unambiguously proved Corbyn was a rabid antisemite. Current darling of the right Gina Carano posted pretty much the exact same image and now Bari Weiss has given her a full pass for it:

Stavros Halkias in a wig is one of the most staggeringly stupid and hypocritical "commentators" on the face of the planet. She could write for The Spectator. Whining about cancel culture while trying to get universities to fire people for daring to mildly critique Israeli policies towards Palestinians. If she fell into a puddle you'd not want to help her up just in case she drowns.