Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

whats the best place to buy a sim free phone these days?

Carphone Warehouse? Or Amazon :guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

From January thread

Jose posted:

a possible joke that they were playing ABBA and a neighbour asked them to stop out of respect for captain top being in hospital with covid

whats the best place to buy a sim free phone these days?

I read a lot of that thread before he protected it. He denied emphatically that it was a joke. He also made another tweet that he was reporting haters to twitter. So I think he was getting some aggro (whether for making a post about Captain Tom or for playing Abba, I don't know).

Mind you, if I heard Abba playing from my neighbour's kitchen I'd probably end up going after them with an axe. I don't believe in playing music so loud that the neighbours can hear it and suffer with headphones most of the time as I'm sure noone else in my block loves death metal or metal core or Iggorr or whatever.
Rolling Stones and Beatles are more the era of folk in their 80s.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 1, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jose posted:

Lol who could for predicted this? Wonder how "it's just the flu" people will spin it

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...HI8eeMwqaJA58C8

The way they are already spinning it and have been for weeks is that covid IS just the flu and oh look the proof is that flu cases have gone down because it's being called covid now.
The facts that masking, social distancing and handwashing are good precautions against colds/ flu transmission as well as covid seem are immaterial to them. And funnily enough, it is anti-maskers who are in the vanguard of the claims that covid is just the flu with a new name. (Ed: and they all seem to think they know what flu is because they had a bad cold once time and called it 'flu'.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 1, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

therattle posted:

That reminds me: there are some very plausible vaccination phishing emails purporting to be from the NHS going around.

Yes. The big clue is they ask for a credit card number from what I've heard.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just saw an ad on facebook from our local leisure centre full of images of old people - then I realized it was targeted at over 60s - then I remember, that's me. :corsair: :boom:

I saw a former labour colleague while I was out for my walk this afternoon and she said there are quite a lot of them in the local party 'hanging on by the skin of their teeth' about leaving. She said at the last zoom All Member Meeting, they were treated so badly (she didn't say why - as I'm no longer a member she didn't want to say so I didn't push it - I'll find out from another contact eventually - I imagine they were not allowed to speak, muted etc as I've been told before) that a few quit immediately afterwards.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Top Flight Time Machine deep-dive into The Twits was loving amazing.

Also in the middle of it the Dahl family put out an apology for him being a big old racist and the timing confused me as the fucker's been dead for years and I thought that maybe TFTM's mockery had provoked them, then two weeks later a new version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (naturally a dark and gritty prequel) was about to start filming.

There's also the new film of Beatrix Potter meets Young Roald Dahl (with Dawn French as BP and some young whippersnapper as RD)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Danger - Octopus! posted:

More news on the consequences of brexit.

Fashion industry? hosed.

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1356315692920922112

Shellfish industry? Potentially about to collapse since apparently there's no exporting live shellfish to the EU for the foreseeable future, which has been known to be a problem since last year but nothing's been done by the government and if it's not clear if they even realise/care that the industry can't go on without exports. Industry bodies are reaching out to the government at the moment it looks like on that one.

I was at a conference 3 years ago when the total destruction of the North Wales mussels industry within 6 weeks of brexit was a 'known'. One of their biggest markets was French restaurants.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

suck my woke dick posted:

On one hand lol the UK hosed itself so hard
On the same hand lol the fashion industry dies it's poo poo anyway

On the same hand again lol the UK fishing industry is dying after voting to shoot itself in the head

There is no other hand because Brexit loving various bunches of insufferable twats is extremely funny

Except that the affected area of North Wales voted remain.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

All the bread-makers ITT, how do you have hot fresh bread sitting around and not go out in one big blowout binge of hot buttered (real butter) bread.
My dad used to bake bread and I swear we got through a loaf a day each. (Per person I mean).
I envy people who can control themselves in the face of nice food.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 2, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Any good recommendations for book sellers to avoid amazon? Preferably uk based to avoid current import fuckery, ideally with an android app so I can browse on my phone.

https://uk.bookshop.org/

Cap'n Tom chat:

They said he had pneumonia for a few weeks.

Barbados was on his bucket list, sort of glad he got to do it. My dad wanted to do a Rhine Cruise before he died (his first holiday with mum when they were engaged was hiking along the Rhine) and we tried to organize it but he was just too ill.

Anyway, done a performative on Facebook otherwise everyone will hate me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

taptam tom's scumbag family are worse than the mccanns for grifting

if that was a working class family they'd have been grassed up to the social for taking that poor old codger on holiday in the middle of a pandemic and the police would have blattered the door down and taken their kids away by now imo

GET ON THE FLOH GET ON THE FLOH GET ON THE FAHKIN FLOH NAOW GET ON THE FLOH GET ON THE FLOH

like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZrAYxWPN6c

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Telegraph, but here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/02/tie-mark-ambition-jeremy-corbyn-alarmed-wearing-one-showed-craved/

I think the same guy wrote an article attacking him for not wearing a tie, but I can't find it

See this comment under that article:

quote:

As a good Bolshevik he will do anything to get into power and then do everything to stay in power. After extending the electoral cycle to 8 years, passing laws that equate anti-government speech as extremism and taking control of the media, Comrade Corbyn will ban the wearing of neck ties. Burkhas no problem of course.

Corbski never stood a chance.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Cap'n chat:

I wonder if that ad that has that teen/young 20 something say he never donated to Capn Tom's fund will ever see the light of day again?
I can't remember what the ad was for.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

My FB news feed right now from one of my old school groups (I was an army brat for a while).

Someone said that he supported immigration and made the gammons froth.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kecske posted:

just going to install one of these outside the front door to go off on a timer

Are we supposed to be clapping for anything at the moment? Didn't they try and restart it a few weeks ago and it lasted one time?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Because when i think about politics I just want someone to stand on stage in a fancy suit with lots of flags and clap.

I want exactly the same thing from politics that I want from loving ant and dec on the TV or whatever.

Twitter apparently thinks we need to clap for captain tom.

Presumably to scare the ghost back to the otherworld or something I dunno how the funeral rites go.

I missed that, I'm staying off twitter again for a while before my blood bursts from my head.
Just reading tweets from here without signing in.

Clapping the dead for some reason makes me think of those Chinese 'hopping vampire' films.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

This sounds relevant to my interests.

haha good satire
:negative:

Wonder what it's like for the pfizer one.

I was wondering that. Most of the old dears round me who have had the first jab have had pfizer because they've only just started doing it in the GPs so the oldies went off to some big tent in Cwmbran and got pfizerd.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, that Guardian article isn't particularly wrong:

I wonder if this leak is part of a deliberate push to get Starmer to do something? There's been definite murmurings of discontent among the Sensible Centrist commentariat of late.

From that article:

quote:

The strategy also suggests the party fears Boris Johnson’s lasting “relatability” could maintain his popularity with the country

How do people relate to ANYTHING about Boris Johnson? I'm completely at a loss.

If people really do believe all those things that article claims they believe then Britain is a lost cause.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How are so many people in this thread getting vaccinated? Everybody old?

I'm eleven

I think quite a few medical or health care associated or other essential key workers.
I'm old and I'm not expecting to be called up until April or May.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

christmas past

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Want to forsake this benighted land?
Various science/tech/mechanics/boatperson jobs in Antarctica (and some in Cambridge).

https://www.bas.ac.uk/jobs/vacancies/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I checked but they don't want to hire Antarctica's first ever dedicated wrestling watcher so gently caress the BAS's shocking lack of vision

"shocking lack of vision" - they're not that bad. I got to deliver a presentation on my research there (Cambridge not Antarctica) and have a round table discussion and some of their researchers cited mine in their papers.
When I graduated (81) I wanted to work in Antarctica but they didn't recruit women then :qq: because they "didn't have suitable toilets". THAT was shocking lack of vision. I could have been down there, counting muons or neutrinos or something.
Or digging up that plastic-eating bug that's been buried under antarctic ice for millenia but now, disturbed by science, surfaces and starts eating things with plastic in them (a story I remember every time the news does some wow article on how wonderful, we've discovered a plastic eating bug. I read that book, it didn't end well.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 3, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Gender neutrino bathrooms.

Perhaps the most important thing to know about neutrinos is that they come in three types, or flavours:
electron neutrino (νe)
muon neutrino (νμ)
tau neutrino (ντ)

Plus, matching anti-neutrinos.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

I suppose if you're going to overwinter in Antarctica you probably aren't doing it just for the money, but the flat rate £24,685 salary +10% bonus seems pretty bad for highly skilled work, spending a year entirely cut off from the world living in a metal shack in a frozen desert. Though on the upside your food and accommodation are paid and you've got plenty of time to organise an Antarctic workers' union.

I read this book about 30 years ago: The Birth of the People's Republic of Antarctica. Can't remember a thing about it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/845616.The_Birth_of_the_People_s_Republic_of_Antarctica

Blurb: In this book the author has written a stunning lament about the beastliness in man and the violence in nature, about the darkness of hope abandoned and the blood-price of hope regained. The power of his novel is its informed irony for what has been, and its measured fury for what may yet be. It is bewitching work of profound and prophetic vision.

It's not really metal shacks anymore and there's not a lot to spend your money on.

Halley Vi webcam. They jack up these pods to keep them above the snow. I don't think anyone overwinters at this one though.

https://www.bas.ac.uk/data/our-data/images/webcams/halley-vi-webcam/

I used to have a webpage with different webcams on it and there was one pointing at Mawson. One day I looked at it (such is the exciting life I lead) and there was a penguin's face looking directly into the camera which was pretty funny.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Neutrino oscillation is a woke fantasy :freep:

My fantasy is the US military budget but for an Atlantropa project full of piss to scupper Luke Akehurst in the middle of.

Could reverse that: Sweden is one of the top 10 arms exporters and US social policy is poo poo. So Asshurts probably meant to say Scandanavian military and US social & economic policy.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Cap'n chat:

Been reading up a bit, he was tested negative for covid-19 when going to Barbados, regularly while out there, and on returning. So I reckon he picked it up this side after coming back.

He went into hospital January 12th before being diagnosed with pneumonia and I reckon he probably picked it up there - positive test came about 10 days later. (Was it on here someone said the doc didn't want their gran going into hospital because hospitals were super-spreader?)

My FB actual friends newsfeed on it hasn't been too bad - just sharing news items mainly (apart from that thing I posted earlier from one of the former military brats groups I'm in), not much evidence of vexillosexuality or papaverphilia amongst them (though the latter gets a major outing in Novembers).

So anyway, it's shameful the UK is in such a state he felt compelled to do it, but he did do it. So well done to him.

Just feel a bit sad that the flagshaggers and tories will soil it and without a doubt Johnson will go up 5% in the polls next week on the back of it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

DeadButDelicious posted:

Bloody hell, Jean Reno's 72?!

I have a soft spot for him - I've always found him strangely attractive.

Patriotism/nationalism:

Lots of countries have it in spades including Egypt for example.

When Sisi came to the UK and met with Cameron at No. 10, Egyptians on my FB were up in arms that he was 'forced to walk up Downing St' instead of being taken right to the door by car so the UK was showing him enormous disrespect. They took some calming down even with photos of Obama walking up Downing St (because all visitors do).

And then there was this, in 2010:

Photo from middle East peace talks with Obama as alpha male:

Photoshopped version published in Al Ahram (Egyptian state newspaper sort of Times-ish) showing Mubarak as alpha male:

They got a lot of stick for this!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Well my mother is on Typhoid Mary duty today.

Turned up unannounced having been to church (all carefully distanced she says). Then she's going to Waitrose and then going to turn up at my sister's (oh I only shout at her from the garden says she). So I've messaged sis to forewarn her!

At least mother wears a mask (except she didn't at mine because she had a cup of tea, so I wore one all the time and sat her by an open window).

Clap chat:

I probably posted this before but anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daB4qAvMQzU

Starmer chat:

I doubt he really talked about abolition of the monarchy - that was just trying to get the 'left' onside. Don't know how old that clip is. Ed: Oh ok its 2005. Still don't believe he really meant it if he did say it (I mean that I don't believe he meant abolition of the monarchy not that he didn't say what he patently said in the clip.) Getting myself in a tangle here, I shall stop digging.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 3, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

.nm Guav beat me to it ^^^ - should have refreshed page!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ok so Typhoid Mum did go to my sister's. Didn't stay in the garden which she said she was going to. Sis slapped a mask on as soon as she heard her coming up the stairs.
Then TM went on to my super-vulnerable-maxi-shielding-gets-food-parcels-from-the-council niece. No doubt I shall hear later whether she stayed in the garden or not!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Qubee posted:

my family has hopped on the conspiracy theory bandwagon, posting shite and spreading misinformation. the latest one posted in the group chat is how deaths have actually increased in the elderly age group that received vaccines. as far as i'm aware, are post-vaccine deaths even being recorded separately? this is the latest thing going around. my mum is in her late 50's, has high blood pressure, but isn't getting the vaccine. my aunt is an anti-vaxxer, whilst being married to a doctor? their diabetic daughter just tested positive for covid.

i really don't get it. wear a mask, wash your hands, if you don't want the vaccine, fair enough, but you're an rear end in a top hat. in a few years time we're gonna look back on this and realise how stupid some people were.

A couple of my US-based real-life friends (age about 70) who have now had the second jab have had quite bad reaction to the second one that they didn't have to the first. Not sure if that might be enough to finish off anyone with other complicating factors.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

hang on what

are these out-door stairs or did Typhoid Mum break and enter? or does she have a key because if so get that loving key off her

She knows where the spare key is hidden.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

feedmegin posted:

I mean, this is pretty big, yes. You're making 2 grand a month with literally nothing to spend it on, so you'll be coming home with all of that minus tax (which will be at the basic rate) in your bank account.

And if you're there more than 365 days consecutively you get to pay 7% BAT instead (with various caveats that require too much googling to be sure of.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

He's got 2 kitchens and can't eat a bacon sandwich, but at least he's not a loving antisemite

But wasn't his dad hitler or something?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Please stop making me look at twitter, it's bad for my heart. :swoon: :stwoon:

Before looking on Twitter: pulse (according to pulse oximeter) - high 70s.

2 mins on twitter looking at Asshurt's tweets without even signing in - high 80s.

Grrrr. Glad I'm not signed in - having to sign in is just enough of a glitch in the reply system to stop me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

If it was properly Boris then all of the men would arrive early and all the women would be late

:golfclap: :tipshat:

https://twitter.com/samueljaddison/status/1357038969205252096?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 3, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Perfect Element posted:

I think Keith must be feeling the pressure for the first time since he became leader. The media had his back over chucking out corbyn and rlb, but they're turning against him now (to what end, who knows?)

I don't think he'll manage it well. Wonder if the media will start commenting every time he looks a bit annoyed or cross like any time Corbyn expressed any mild disapproval re the press doorstepping him.

FWIW - I had a quick look at mumsnet and the sentiment there seems to be 'Cap'n Tom was a fine old boy but clapping, statues, state funerals, nah' also 'Clapping inappropriate when 100k dead.'

I didn't hear anything round here but then I was having an extended nana nap at the time.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Meanwhile in other non-UK news (just for a change)

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/02/01/oregon-decriminalizes-all-drugs-offers-treatment-instead-jail-time/4311046001/

Oregon decriminalizes all drugs and offers treatment instead of jail.

Unrelated:

https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1357011765993877504?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 3, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

lol I thouht EMA was education maintenence allowance lmao.

Yeah I had to google - that was the only context I'd heard EMA in previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

What do people have inside their skulls? Coz it ain't brains! Cliff collapses, let's rush to cliff and have a look.

quote:

This is just the third time a collapse of this magnitude has been recorded on the cliffs in almost 20 years.

In 2012, a massive collapse brought both residents and tourists to the cliff edge to survey the damage.

source: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/section-of-white-cliffs-collapses-into-sea-241885/

It's Vera Lynn giving a huge, pearly gates welcome to the Cap'n.