Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Once you move out of the retired and at risk demographics it'd going to be a real bugger getting people into daytime slots when work is open and insisting they come in instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

peanut- posted:

Of all the stupidity of Brexit the biggest oddity to me is how keen the government seems to be to immediately erect incredibly restrictive bureaucratic barriers and be utterly inflexible on them.

There will be a lot of barriers from the EU that we can't avoid, but half of these complexities are on our end and the only response seems to be "well you should have been more prepared for this deal that was signed 5 days before it came into effect. We produced several leaflets about it."

I thought we were meant to have a bonfire of the red tape.

The tories are a party consisting of the aristocracy and the very wealthy, legislating in the interests of the largest bourgeoisie and consistently put in power by the votes of petit bourgeois and nationalists. It's an incredibly good system for holding onto power but creates either utterly corrupt or insane governance because it can't really do anything except 'not be the left' without pissing off some major group within itself.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1356689724660981767

Holy poo poo they might just gave fallen arse-backwards into success here.

Christ well it's reassuring to know it won't be a deadly farce but lol loving hell.

That's a weird dip at 6 weeks though, I wonder what the overall impact of letting people get exposed and get it after being vaccinated rather than boosting it at the 4 week point.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I'm in Bristol and got the Oxford AstraZenica vaccine and the nearest booking slot I had for my second was 11 weeks afterwards so I don't know if that's standard for the UK in general.

Desiderata posted:

What is it with UK pro military poppy waving things "accidentally" using blatant stock photo images of US soldiers with US equipment.

Like to actual squaddies notice this poo poo and call it out as dumb?

All the US movies have poisoned everyones brain to assume their military looks like the USA army.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Spangly A posted:

I went looking around after this when Pfizer started going ballistic at the suggestion, and I found immunology professors and researchers in America suggesting it as far back as late october, early november. Apparently adenovirus-delivered vaccines for ebola worked better with unequal doses or a longer delay, so AZ included a just-significant sized group to see if the results repeated the effect.

I think the tories just did exactly what they were told, tbh. It really looks like once Cummings was finally gone, SAGE showed the government something that genuinely terrified them. They've not really hosed up in a while, and they're u-turning back into safety within the same day of every twat mouthing off. Even if it's Boris himself.

Mate things are so bad we have the highest proportional death toll in the world because the Tories didn't want to completely cancel Christmas and loads of people are at unsafe workplaces. Nothing's literally on fire at the moment but that's because it's cold, wet and most people are thinking their job might survive the pandemic.

Edit: I got a vaccine because I work for the NHS and put myself on a reserve list in case there were slots going empty.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

Jeremy Corbyn still living so rent free in their heads they're literally inventing things people say about him to get angry about. Amazing.

They did it while he was leader, it's learned behaviour for them and so they won't ever stop although they might move onto a new target.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Noxville posted:

I was just saying to my other half how I was getting a bit freaked out with how competently they’d handled the pandemic so far thus year, at least since cancelling Christmas. I don’t want to pin everything on person but I feel we did see a big change when Cummings got hosed off in that Johnson is no longer chasing temporary populist boosts in favour of taking a longer view.

The government created a situation so bad they had to try an untested vaccination schedule on the entire population because everything else is melting down. The fact that the NHS and GPs are good at putting needles into peoples arms isn't a credit to the government.

Also I wonder if now that pandemic news is stale or the media can't report the governments failings over it then without Corbyn they're having a similar drought of news that USA media is having without Trump being president any more. Previously you could ring up a Labour MP, a Tory MP or a media personality of some sort and get an front page about how Corbyn anti-semitically put out the bins or something and now that's gone and Starmer is so boring and complicit with government policy that there's nothing to comment on so the press want him replaced with someone they can really villianise again.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Nutapii posted:

Not so much now with the amount of people complaining about an injustice, or loving something up, that use the phrase "I'm only 2x". I've literally seen "He's only 24, he's a child" before.

That's rhetoric used to ignore their opinion, or potentially excuse a transgression, not saying they should still be living at home.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

Honestly didn't know there was a prince Edward

There's an extended royal family but since they're all off noncing or breaking international laws around arms dealing or slavery and things they're kept well out of the limelight.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Speaking of no authority at all.....

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Oh that's just sad.

Don't make me feel sorry for Royalty now.

Well all royalty is tragedy in one way or another.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Fumble posted:

Did Banksy log into the wrong account?

Massive Attack have always been sound.

Edit: This was not a joke initially.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

People like Bastani should defend themselves from lovely defamation like that but you're fooling yourself if you think that'll make anything stop.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

So that's 94% of terrorists committed to some variation of "establishing theocratic ethnostates where deviation from orthodoxy is punishable by death", and 6% other . :thunk:

Still it's important to shag those flags everyone.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Lmao the Bristol West AGM is happening tonight and is apparently a complete shitshow. Closing in on 5 hours long and still people are missing ballots (even the MP) and haven’t been able to vote.

Yeah it's so loving bad. It started at 5:30pm and the voting just got extended to 10:45pm because they still haven't sorted it yet. Regional office took over to stop the left continuing to hold power in the branch and have just hosed it up.

https://twitter.com/TomSavagar/status/1359983892548247555?s=20

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

A zero covid strategy lockdown will be shorter because unsafe things are closed rather than the government leaving businesses open to spread the virus and also fail to make money at the same time.

A proper quarantine for foreign travel and test and trace system nationally prevents large-scale reoccurance meaning local lock downs actually stop the spread rather than just meaning there's a national lockdown coming in the next two months.

Once the community spread is near 0 and being caught quickly then domestically we can live pretty much without additional restrictions as the risks are so low and monitored.

It's literally better by all standards unless you think making the government responsible for doing things is the ultimate evil.

namesake fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 12, 2021

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I had to travel to Salem so I tied a fennel to my belt, as was the style at the time.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

justcola posted:

"ah but say what you want about the tories, they got us out of that pandemic"
"he handled it really well under the circumstances. And he had it, don't forget"
"everyone got vaccinated in the end, so they did good"
"as a lifelong Labour voter I've decided to vote Conservative for the first time after the covid crisis"

etc.

Labour won't win anyone back under Starmer or possibly ever again but with one of the worst death tolls, blatant corruption and a pisspoor recovery plan the left can hope to make a dent in those ideas.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Apart from ATOMS stupidity is there a particular reason not to think about voting Green? I know they're a bit melty but look at the competition here.

A bit TERFy and happy to attack the left when convenient. The political ideology is too broad, there's bound to be wankers just as bad as the Labour right in the party willing to sink everything to stop the left.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

A five month lock down followed by mass spreading of the virus is an insanely bad way to 'get out' of the pandemic. It's literally ruining everything because the idea of doing things better is anathema to rightwingers.

A better supported lockdown with more closures, effective T&T and proper border monitoring could half the lockdown length and stop the spread happening afterwards. I cannot understand why people are thinking the government's strategy is okay or necessary.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What is the government's strategy though?

Same as always - "More money for me and mates, gently caress you".

The unwillingness of the government to do a good thing means they're at least part of what's stopping good things from happening, not a reason not to work towards good things happening.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

lol

"Corbyns unpopularity with the electorate indicates an inherent and fatal weakness in their ideology and he had to go.

Our unpopularity with the electorate indicates we're on a firm base of support and can now work hard on winning over the rest"

Also that first tweet is so loving bad - like in normal times people yearn for a lovely government to fail them at every turn?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This would seem to be backed up by recent election results.

Ah so you think Starmer has learned the right lessons from listening to the electorate? Interesting point.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I think a sufficiently organised and powerful group capable of making demands can get an effective zero covid strategy implemented either by forcing the government to do so or taking sufficient power from the government to do so itself. Once that's in place people won't have to be in a stay at home lockdown except in local short term cases.

If your position is that the government is unstoppable and evil/incompetent then you're actively detrimental to people trying to make things better and should stop talking.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

No, I'd totally go for this, but a sufficiently organised and powerful group doesn't exist, and I don't think we shouldn't be able to discuss the world outside of zero COVID, an unbelievably unlikely strategy, without people saying 'yeah but zero COVID' constantly.

Also agree with crispix that this a good time to revise how we do things.

Okay so the various countries that have done zero covid or have been capable of implementing measures along zero covid lines is an unbelievable strategy? It's a set of measures which do exist today, that our government hasn't even tried and you're already bargaining down to "Well maybe it's okay if we let the death and injury rates roll on because we can't really expect a proper resolution."

poo poo if you want to ignore the death toll if the government just say "well deaths are back in the dozens each day so that's fine." and open the pubs do you actually think people are going to go back to their old habits? That they'll suddenly feel happy and secure to just ignore the virus? They had to be bribed to eat out last year which caused cases to spike when they did - how does that sound acceptable? There has to be a meaningful effective resolution to get people out of the fear and expecting the virus to burn itself out will prolong that by years compared to an active solution.

Jakabite posted:

Except for the fact that there is zero political will to do so. I absolutely agree that this is exactly what we should do. But we aren't going to. And discussing things within thos parameters doesn't make you some Mengelian monster.

You've given up. Thats sad but it happens. Go away.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Dakha posted:

Do any of you covid to zero people have school age kids here? I’m honestly curious.

Several of the supporters of the zero covid campaign I've spoken to are yes. They're worried about the long term effects long covid might have on their children and they're worried about government measures letting it spread amongst school age children and the inevitable impact it'll have on their families when their families get it from them.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Not the happiest discussion to bring this up in but there's an online meeting about the ecological and economic impact of the pandemic starting at 2pm today. You can register here: https://zerocovid.uk/2021/01/13/the-ecology-and-economics-of-the-pandemic/

The economics side is Grace Blakeley and Michael Roberts so those sessions are going to be great.

Dakha posted:

(Edit: addressed to namesake) I was more meaning the people debating here, through interesting to hear viewpoints of course. How old are their kids? Do they have the jobs and resources able to support their learning for the time required?

To everyone else here getting heated up - do you have school aged kids?

Personally I’m thankful every day that my child is nursery age (and to be clear we choose to attend nursery as the least worst option available). I see missed education as far more of a likely long term disability than any risk of long covid.

Those are valid issues, although I'd suggest that it's easier to have extra education and socialisation than it is to have medical rehabilitation in terms of resolving long term impact. The overall issue isn't what harms you have to put children through, it's about demanding adequate protection and support. Why hasn't a televised educational channel for each year group been put together? Why isn't there free internet being rolled out? Why are our schools so understaffed that classrooms sizes are too large to be safe? These can't be fixed overnight but they can be fixed and it's right to see that solutions do exist but British capitalist society isn't interested in implementing them.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Any tips on good ways to sell a large number of old games (Xbox 360 and PlayStation 1) in a way that actually makes me money?

Art installation. Or just sell the classics and give the rest away.

Jose posted:

never been on a cruise before so this seems like the perfect time

Lol do it Jose I want to hear you report from a plague ship in the middle of a tornado.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The paranoid bastard in me would like to see the stats on which constituencies got oxford and which got pfizer, overlaid with which are con/lab.

The same part of me also does not want to see those statistics.

Top of the head thinking but due to the storage requirements of pfizer then areas with large health facilities will use that while where the rollout has used GPs and ad hoc settings will have Oxford so urban areas will have higher Pfizer usage which will track with Labour voting.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Cruises are just so awful for the environment I was actually hopeful the pandemic would end the industry but I guess not.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

The problem is that people want to travel fast either because they're travelling on business and have felt they need to be wherever near instantly or they're on holiday and because capitalism wants to move people as cost effectively as possible then travel is poo poo because it's cramped and service is hosed.

Slow river cruises and sleeper trains should be the normal as people have more holiday time and can enjoy their travel time rather than polluting jets and giant container ships turned into hotels.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

With EU integration and brain drain from the LEDCs long distance travel is much more complicated than just holiday usage. A small number of people take multiple flights usually for business and are mostly responsible for total air miles flown so a untaxed return flight for every passport and a steadily increasing tax rate applied for all subsequent bookings on that passport will allow many people the freedom of travel for holiday or family while still detering frequent business usage.

This is slightly immaterial at this exact moment in time but a good sort of mindset for how to tackle it in future.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Follow up on the Bristol West Labour party. The right have basically stolen all the positions and the social media officer has already started to redesign the website. I strongly recommend everyone take a look:

https://www.bristolwestlabour.org.uk/our-executive-committee/

Amazing. What a man.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

crispix posted:

i miss petting friend dogs and kitties and even horses (if they don't look too demented of a horse) that i see out and about but there is that risk that i could get plague from them or inadventently contaminate them with plague and they'll take it back in their houses and give it to people and well

stables in the case of horses, not houses

only knew one person who let a horse in the house, always said no (thanks) to a cup of tea at hers

Should have politely said Neigh instead.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

The only political value of free speech is freedom to criticise power so lol that they're openly saying free speech is everything but criticising power.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

peanut- posted:

Not gonna read the article but insurance based is not the same as for-profit or private. Most European countries use state insurance based healthcare systems, the NHS is an outlier.

The current proposed ICS models are based around the US insurance structures though, and even the European ones don't match the NHS for accessibility and other key healthcare metrics.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Thats also the thesis of Surveillance Capitalism which is a heavily researched book rather than a flashy tv show. I think the theory is relevant because it is real in that the digital world has collided with the real and while we won't be mindcontrolled by Pokegyms it absolutely creates and directs desires and behaviours which, once understood, will be used to increase capitalist profits.

If you look at Google maps and see that a road is red which you think means it'll be slower than another road so you change which one you take then you haven't seen or experienced the real road conditions have you? Google understanding the mechanics of that decision (as we then probably take our phone with us so they know exactly what route we did take) while we think we've just passively taken in information and made a good decision is a huge asymmetry in information and control.

Vvvv woo, I keep posting about this and no one else ever seems to have read it before now lol

namesake fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 15, 2021

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

While I'm sure the developers (and Google especially) had some very high-level and fancy ideas behind Pokemon Go, in general I believe gamification has basically failed as any kind of mass social influence theory. There is a limit to what you can goad people into doing with fictional doo-dads as bait.

Problem is that this isn't just putting an anime shell on a step counter or something, there's an interior drive to digitize information from the real world to understand it for marketing purposes and as a reflex of that, to eliminate non-digital behaviours as they cannot be monitored, either literally by forcing monitoring on it or pretending it isn't happening when making decisions. An inability to accurately influence behaviours won't stop the drive to digitize everything and ignore everything that can't be, which will exclude lots of people from what businesses and governments see as 'real'. We're already seeing it with how many things need an app to access - no smartphone or an old smartphone or no tech skills? Well then you simply can't access that service.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

XMNN posted:

is keith still palling around with him or did they stop that after he failed to recognise and challenge the great replacement theory

Didn't LBC invite the fascist to call in?

I think he's still doing it as well lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Dodds speech about their economic plans at best amounted to 'we'll improve value for money in state spending' so yeah there's no originality coming from within the cabinet and lol if they end up crawling back towards some part of Corbyns platform which they firmly denied last year.