Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

That Works posted:

Silver lining

In 2011, my entire squadron was talking about silver in the same way everyone is talking about gamestonk now. One lieutenant, who I'm pretty sure had a degree in like, history, wrote a newsletter about silver trading options.

There was a conservative bent to it all, because those drat [democrats] in Washington were spending all of our money and we would need to wheelbarrow "fiat" money to get bread soon.

They convinced my NCOIC, who had north of 15k in student loans at 3.5% APR, to shovel 10k in deployment money at, and I'm not exaggerating, the peak of that 2011 run. He losted roughly half his investment in 3 months.

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

That Works posted:

Oh I meant silver lining that Reddit would be destroyed but lmao that's an awesome story and also I guess reddit is trying to do some squeeze on the silver market as well today?

Christ.

From what I can tell, monied interests are trying to manufacture tulip mania by saying the unwashed hordes of reddit autists are doing a "Hunt Brothers " and cornering the silver market and now is your one chance to get in on the ground floor of this amazing oppurtunity.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Doing honest to god charity work doesnt seem like it wins hearts and minds anymore and like 20% of people think Bill Gates funds vaccinates to implant microchips so :shrug: .

Jeff Bezos donated 10 Billion to combat climate change. Say what you want about the guy but that can do some serious good and, I believe, that is more than the federal government pledged in the last 4 years.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
If anyone wants a quick read, Michael Lewis, the guy who wrote "The Big Short" and "The Blind Side" wrote a piece called "The Fifth Risk" which covers all of the less sexy but hugely important things the federal government takes care of. Things nobody worries about, like power plant winterization.

Tl:dr. The "less regulations, more common sense" folks who came into the federal government with the last administration didnt know what they didn't know and the best case scenario was the Rick Perry Approach. He became head of the agency he vowed to eliminate and upon realizing what they actually do, prompty shut the gently caress up and let the careerists run things. He gave speeches and did ribbon cuttings and hosed off back to Texas without ruining much.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
The federal minimum wage hike to $15 isn't going to happen. It would set production costs on a level playing field instead of allowing companies to essentially outsource production and services to LCOL (red) states.

The financial industry is already like half way to outsourcing everything to Omaha.

Edit- for jobs that can get away with paying the fed min.

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 23, 2021

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Mr. Nice! posted:

If they only get through with $11, that will be a massive boost for a fuckton of people across our nation. Is it enough? Not even loving close, but it is a start.

Some, sure, but not as much as it would have in years past. the gig economy will probably capture some of this benefit and thanks to the illiterate voters of California, they have a proven template going nationwide.

Think Task Rabbit but for an evening McDonald shift billed to JimCorp, a Culinary Services LLC with 1 employee for a flat rate. McDonalds isnt violating fed min laws, JimCorp LLC is!

Will McDonalds do this to save $2 an hour? Probably not but some boat dealership in Alabama might if the margains get tight.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The SEC has required that public companies disclose executive compensation for a few years. We should peg the minimum wage to that - if public companies increase executive compensation 10% year over year, minimum wage goes up 10%.

Ben and Jerrys did this, with the CEO capped at 5x the lowest paid employee. The founders wanted to create a more just world. They changed it to 15x when the founder retired so they could attract a "talented" CEO, who then sold the brand to a conglomerate whose CEO probably makes several hundred times more than the lowest paid employee.

Boomers.txt

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

maffew buildings posted:

That wasn't CA voters being illiterate. A lot knew exactly what it meant

Maybe short-sightedness is more accurate. My CPA friend said Uber's entire business model depends on its drivers not being able to quantify depreciation.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'll eat a shoe if they pay their line workers anywhere near the $1.1m/yr a 5x maximum would require. Or $360k/yr even if they go with 15x.

So $4.5M total compensation puts them probably in the neighborhood of 450x. The crazy thing is back in the 60s, 5x CEO to lowest paid employee wasnt even that radical, 21x was the norm. But then the 80s came and i guess boards could justify $4.5M if the CEOs strategy made them $4.5M +$1 returns.
Unions used to be able to recoup some of that windfall in higher wages, but the plants can move faster than the labor force.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

bird food bathtub posted:

This one's important. For decades now we've been having this fight and for decades it's been performing the exact role it is supposed to. Safely dissipate all the energy in the country that's pushing for change via hamster-wheel arguments to make things better right now because life has been made so lovely and miserable that something needs done, while ensuring that the big picture wealth extraction ratchet only goes in the correct direction.

Of course, get what you can. I just think a UBI/negative income tax or anything that removes business as the middleman for social welfare is better. Call it the Freedom Eagle Patriot MAGA Dividend and give it to anyone who has a job. Adjust it with real inflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Discussion Quorum posted:

Siri, what is the theoretical maximum size of a piece of poo poo?

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1364771553557286913?s=19

2021s version of "its adam and eve not adam and Steve"