Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Walla posted:

My son also has some sort of perfectionist disorder thing? I'm not sure of the name for it, but he expects perfection out of himself in everything and physically and mentally beats himself up when he falls short. He's improved over time and therapy, and no longer hits himself thankfully.
Yeah, it's common in kids who get used to academic success. Failure tends to hit them really hard. I really didn't handle it well when I went to college and realized that a perfect A+ average was no longer something I was capable of maintaining, not even with far more effort than I was used to ever needing to put into anything up to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Walla posted:

My son also has some sort of perfectionist disorder thing? I'm not sure of the name for it, but he expects perfection out of himself in everything and physically and mentally beats himself up when he falls short. He's improved over time and therapy, and no longer hits himself thankfully.

Make him play tetris effect on master mode and we'll see how long he lasts tryjng to play clean rather than fast

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, it's common in kids who get used to academic success. Failure tends to hit them really hard. I really didn't handle it well when I went to college and realized that a perfect A+ average was no longer something I was capable of maintaining, not even with far more effort than I was used to ever needing to put into anything up to that point.

lol I was valedictorian of my high school (it was a very small high school) and seeing what people had to do to be "valedictorian" in college was like "welp"

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

RBA Starblade posted:

Counterpoint: no one likes a tryhard

I mentioned this to American colleagues at my last job, basically those exact words, (we all ended up getting acquired and put in different teams so nothing bad happened to me as a result of this conversation) and all of them agreed that being a tryhard is really, really good and that my attitude was bad. I don't share my attitude about work to colleagues any more.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Americans are utterly confused by guaranteed paid vacation and people actually using it without fear of losing their jobs or being publicly shamed

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol I was valedictorian of my high school (it was a very small high school) and seeing what people had to do to be "valedictorian" in college was like "welp"
Yeah, if you get through some of the harder coursework with even just average grades you are already doing way, way better than most people ever could. It's a completely different world from normal schoolwork.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Cardiovorax posted:

:same:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Theres a latin proverb thats basically "don't expect the best of yourself, as long as you arent the actual worst"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

childhood, hell, I'm closer to middle age than not and I still get frustrated & angry at myself at the drop of a hat

old habits die hard :shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was lucky enough to be a good writer in a professional environment where nobody really knows how to write anymore. Low effort and it pays $$$.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

Theres a latin proverb thats basically "don't expect the best of yourself, as long as you arent the actual worst"

I once drunkenly came up with the perfect break-up line:

You didn't do anything wrong, you just didn't do it right.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m too dumb and lazy to be successful academically

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

hatty posted:

Hell yeah

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Someone get to the postgame in MGSurvive so I do not have to play unmarried anymore

I'm still playing the campaign but I'm probably going to drop it when I'm done. The basic survival gameplay out in the field is fun enough but I'm getting really sick of the base management stuff and how every time I launch the game I get a bunch of warnings about how everyone is hungry and sick and miserable that I have to take care of before doing anything else

Please tell me there's eventually a way to make the base automate itself to the point that I don't have to pay any attention to it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Academia is filled with the dumbest laziest people on planet earth, you just gotta commit!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

haveblue posted:

Please tell me there's eventually a way to make the base automate itself to the point that I don't have to pay any attention to it
Are you not putting medicine and food into the base dispensers or something? They're specifically there to minimize how often people get sick or injured. It's not really something that is supposed to happen more than just occasionally.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cardiovorax posted:

Are you not putting medicine and food into the base dispensers or something? They're specifically there to minimize how often people get sick or injured. It's not really something that is supposed to happen more than just occasionally.

I try to, but almost every time I log in they're empty again. If I fill them up completely, how long are they supposed to last?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Wait...what

E: Incredible. I guess I won't be returning to LAD to do more sidestories.
https://twitter.com/RGGStudio/status/1310643993689100288

Wait, I have the digital PS4 version that I've been playing on PS5. If I upgrade to the PS5 version, I can't use my save data, even if it's already on the same system? What?

Truly baffling

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Americans are utterly confused by guaranteed paid vacation and people actually using it without fear of losing their jobs or being publicly shamed

I work a dead end job for poo poo pay but my company gives me 3 weeks paid leave annually and you better believe I use every minute of it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There are definitely some exceptionally smart people, but for the vast majority i think the luck of circumstances determine success in education. Personally, I broke down in uni under the pressures of a physics degree and loneliness.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I got through my first week of uni and realised I'd rather spend my time sitting in my room playing video games than studying and look where it's got me, a moderately popular poster on a dying internet forum. It's a tale of inspiration for future generations

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rarity posted:

I got through my first week of uni and realised I'd rather spend my time sitting in my room playing video games than studying and look where it's got me, a moderately popular poster on a dying internet forum. It's a tale of inspiration for future generations

at least you're moderately popular

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

haveblue posted:

I try to, but almost every time I log in they're empty again. If I fill them up completely, how long are they supposed to last?
I don't think I've ever experienced mine running empty unless I was literally gone for weeks. Putting people in the medical and food supply terms should slow the drain down substantially or even make them increase automatically if you have the correct kind of farms set up for it. You might simply have more people than you can support at this point in the game.

Rinkles posted:

There are definitely some exceptionally smart people, but for the vast majority i think the luck of circumstances determine success in education. Personally, I broke down in uni under the pressures of a physics degree and loneliness.
Physics is a particularly demanding degree, so you're hardly alone in that, really.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rarity posted:

Wish I'd done the same. At least I wouldn't have this student debt tugging at my neck every waking moment.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rinkles posted:

Wish I'd done the same. At least I wouldn't have this student debt tugging at my neck every waking moment.

Oh I stayed in uni the whole 3 years, my student debt is tremendeous

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Academia is filled with the dumbest laziest people on planet earth, you just gotta commit!

can confirm

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rarity posted:

Oh I stayed in uni the whole 3 years, my student debt is tremendeous

lol! sorry.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i've got a 4.0 in my masters program so far and if you've seen my posts you know that i'm an idiot so

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i'm petrified of returning, but i really need to get an actual degree.

Relax Or DIE posted:

i've got a 4.0 in my masters program so far and if you've seen my posts you know that i'm an idiot so

i'm happy for you

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly I should probably get my degree too. I was effectively screwed out of the degree by administration but I did complete all my coursework.

It's not something I've been worried about because I've got a pretty well paying job in a good field, but I guess it's the principle of the thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rinkles posted:

i'm petrified of returning, but i really need to get an actual degree.
Consider trying something more like mechanical engineering or a similar technical degree instead of something as intensely theory-heavy as Physics. A lot of people find them far more accessible because they're more based in the practical and in concrete applications and generally do not dive as deeply into the more abstract and theoretical underpinnings of the science behind it. They're also very desirable on the job market and tend to give you a lot of employment opportunities internationally. A good engineer is something employers always want no matter where in the world you go.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've got an AA in Culinary Arts and I would rather open my veins than step foot in a commercial kitchen ever again.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Every chef I've ever known has either been an alcoholic with intimacy issues or a massive prick or both. I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

haveblue posted:

You should pretty much have a way to do that right now, I've never paid attention to any of the base stuff. Make one of each mutualization center, any food farms/goat milk, medecine farms, and then any of the rainwater collectors. Your people will still get sick but that will solve itself over real-life time and also only impacts your exploration team, so unless your away team gets sick just ignore them. None of your characters can actually die.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Rarity posted:

Every chef I've ever known has either been an alcoholic with intimacy issues or a massive prick or both. I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy.

That sums up my 20's and 30's pretty accurately.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
Trying hard while being okay with making and admitting mistakes actually rules and a lot of people like you for it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

i got baldur's gate 2 on a trip to best buy and on the drive home and i was so stoked once i cracked the box and pulled out that giant manual.

it got me a half-hour lecture during the drive about how if i cared as much about school as I did games I'd get straight A's (instead of just mostly A's)

Similar thing with me and shadow hearts covenant where I was playing through one of the optional dungeons while reading a guide on the computer and I got badmouthed over how I can apparently follow a guide to play a game but I'm a lazy good-for-nothing useless piece of poo poo because I don't put that effort towards getting consistent 100%s.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah wow you could have gotten straight A's in high school, which in terms of your life as a whole would improve things because ?????????????

High school is a loving joke and parents are insane for insisting that it's super important, and this is coming from a high school teacher

I remember one time in high school my teachers got mad at me for bullshitting an essay, where the prompt was "my favorite congressman" because they were going to submit it to some contest. Like yeah, I don't have a favorite congressman, you got me, I had to pull something out of my rear end and did a poorly-researched paper because we had three days in-class to both research and write it.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 28, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Do US universities have a numerus clausus, that is to say, a minimum average grade you need to have to even be allowed to apply for certain types of college degrees? There's a bit of a practical benefit to having good grades where I live: it actually does give you more options, in a very tangible sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

hatty posted:

I assure you, you really aren't