Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i just finished chimes of a lost cathedral the sequel to the revolution of marina m and im curious how accurate its portrayal of the spring to the fall of 1921 is in the final section of the book the short version is that because the bolsheviks are evil dumb authoritarians the whole country was about to collapse until the english and the americans saved them because of political pressure from english labor unions and even though theres food in russia again thanks to the capitalists the bolsheviks are murdering artists now just to show everyone whos boss

while you russia history buffs are at it id also appreciate a discussion of the kronstadt revolt the position the book takes is that it was unambiguously good heroic and even communist and i cant help but feel like this potrayal might have been somewhat rose tinted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/this-civil-warera-eagle-sculpture-was-made-out-of-abraham-lincolns-hair-180978740/

quote:

The “Hairy Eagle,” as it was dubbed more than 150 years ago, stuns all who see it, probably because the wreath is made entirely from human hair. And not just any hair. It was woven with tresses provided by President Abraham Lincoln, his vice president and cabinet members, the speaker of the House of Representatives, and numerous United States senators, as well as First Lady Mary Lincoln and three cabinet members’ wives—37 people in all. Measuring roughly a foot in diameter, the eagle-adorned artwork is accompanied by an index showing exactly whose hair was used for each section of the sculpture.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Some Guy TT posted:

so i just finished chimes of a lost cathedral the sequel to the revolution of marina m and im curious how accurate its portrayal of the spring to the fall of 1921 is in the final section of the book the short version is that because the bolsheviks are evil dumb authoritarians the whole country was about to collapse until the english and the americans saved them because of political pressure from english labor unions and even though theres food in russia again thanks to the capitalists the bolsheviks are murdering artists now just to show everyone whos boss

while you russia history buffs are at it id also appreciate a discussion of the kronstadt revolt the position the book takes is that it was unambiguously good heroic and even communist and i cant help but feel like this potrayal might have been somewhat rose tinted

https://twitter.com/alex_orlov_/status/1764249660678414555?t=mi7Rv5g7HDack-uJnCkQYw&s=19

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ok but what about the bolsheviks terminating the house of arts and universal literature

also they killed some guys lets see uhh nikolai stepanovich gumilev and prince sergei uktemsky and professor vladimir tagantsev this was something called the petrograd military organization wikis info on it is pretty bare minimum considering this sounds like exactly the kind of evil communist thing noone ever shuts up about

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
futurism was proto-fascism, so lenin was a proto-fascist

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Russian futurism wasn't tho

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

A Buttery Pastry posted:

futurism was proto-fascism, so lenin was a proto-fascist
fascisms when the ruling class starts to organize into a union

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lenin was a huge fan of the theremin, possibly the coolest instrument of all time

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Lenin huge fan of electronic music.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Lenin: huge Moby fan.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

MikeCrotch posted:

Russian futurism wasn't tho

having a chuckle imagining the fellas in the politburo reckoning with this weird poo poo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Orange Devil posted:

Lenin huge fan of electronic music.

Stalin had Theremin kidnapped to honor Lenin's memory

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
in 1962 Khrushchev went to an art exhibition as an overture to civil society and he responded by calling modern art dogshit, and then a few weeks later to try and cool the whole thing down he invited 400 artists to come hear him speak, including Ernst Neizvestnyi, and then this happened:

quote:

Khrushchev reputedly intended to be conciliatory, but went off script and pointing at one of Neizvestny's statues and demanded: "is that a horse or a cow? Whatever it is, it makes an ugly mockery of a perfectly noble animal." Pointing at another he said: "If that's supposed to be a woman, then you're a human being. And the sentence for them is ten years in prison." He went on to compare looking at Neizvestny's work to being in a toilet looking up while someone else was sitting on it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

vyelkin posted:

in 1962 Khrushchev went to an art exhibition as an overture to civil society and he responded by calling modern art dogshit, and then a few weeks later to try and cool the whole thing down he invited 400 artists to come hear him speak, including Ernst Neizvestnyi, and then this happened:

one does have to acknowledge the purity of this reaction, even if it reveals some Problematic things about the one who has it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

vyelkin posted:

this is what happens when you let farmers have a say in politics

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the soviets took art so seriously, even when they had no taste at all

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
tbf I guess this was like a week after the Cuban Missile Crisis so it's possible old Nikita was a little stressed out

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
THE QUESTION IS WHAT IS TO BE DONE?

- Lenin

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Art reach its zenith with Lady Butler.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

vyelkin posted:

lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FirstnameLastname posted:

mensheviks means the minority Bolshevik means the majority tmyk

:thejoke:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

galagazombie posted:

No one in all of America eats like that. no one puts down the knife or constantly switches hands. Hell most people just cut all their stuff at the start so they can eat without constantly having to stop to cut a new piece.

You do this for children, grown adults should not precut the food.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

americans precut their children, so we're some ways off from dealing with precutting food

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Most americans don't do that. Don't use random statements from goons to judge how normal people live.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weembles posted:

Most americans don't do that. Don't use random statements from goons to judge how normal people live.

I didn't say they did.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
shoving the entire steak in my mouth like an adult

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

shoving the entire steak in my mouth like an adult

fondly remembering how this turns out to be decisive evidence in the first case of the great attorney chronicles

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Does anyone have a recommendation on reading up on the stuff stalin did at georgia or wherever he was during 1905?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

vyelkin posted:

And yet he made this rather flattering sculpture for Khrushchev's tomb.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Khrushchev was right about modern art being dogshit, even if he went on an unhinged bigoted rant about it.

Sep 26, 2020

Slowly making my way through this thread (notes app full of book and article recommendations. Have a few things on hold at the library already) but wanted to contribute in my little way while it was on my mind.

I was looking into what happened to the real Joe and Josephine Bruin (found some articles say they were sent to a circus and the San Diego Zoo respectively, but it's difficult... impossible even... to find any academic sources that discuss their lives on campus and eventual fates. I did, however, come across some photos of Baylor live bear mascots being goofy little guys. I think parading bears around campuses is a special form of cruelty, but I can't help but chuckle at a bear in a t-shirt.

1983: charles ii/chuck ii visits the texas state capitol and drinks dr. pepper

1984: baylor live bear mascot grady at the computer. on the internet no one knows you are a bear.

this one is a little sad to me. 1971: unidentified bear drinking dr. pepper on baylor campus

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

galagazombie posted:

Khrushchev was right about modern art being dogshit, even if he went on an unhinged bigoted rant about it.

you hate Van Gogh and Picasso?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
that bear is gaming.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
When I was very young, probably '93 or '94, my family and I went camping somewhere in Ontario and stopped at a roadside restaurant/hotel that had a bear in a cage with a hole to feed it bottles of pop.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

americans precut their children, so we're some ways off from dealing with precutting food

Please don't bring circumcision discourse into this thread tia.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Look the rules are if you want to talk about the history of male genital mutilation in America and beyond that's fine but just don't discuss the current state of affairs.

How about that Kellogg?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I'm looking for a book recommendation and I'm hoping someone here might be able to help -- What I basically want is Rick Perlstein's 'Clintonland', a book that talks about and ties together the cultural and political currents of the 90s. Does anyone know a good book like this?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
no but i can tell you to stay the gently caress away from al from's book on the DLC/clinton presidency, dude is a worse writer than an illiterate monkey flinging poo poo at a keyboard

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no but i can tell you to stay the gently caress away from al

just read this and thought you were talking about the poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

they meant Gore