Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Raskolnikov38 posted:

anyone here with history graduate school experience? if I want to get a MA as a stepping stone to a doctorate how important is the "prestigious" of the MA program vis a vis applying to phd programs later

It matters to itself. If you want to go to a prestigious doctoral program it helps to have the same prestigious masters. With air quotes around both uses of prestigious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Suplex Liberace posted:

Hello I have a request I need everyone's favorite/good history books. Topic is not super important I just need the biggest list possible to pull from.

Killing for Coal
A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear
A Nation Under Our Feet

These two I wouldn't say are good, but they're like hit pieces on the long dead for the most petty reasons and are in that way hilarious.
American Sphinx is an attack on Jefferson by a guy who studied Adams and is jealous Jefferson gets all the love.
The French Renaissance Court (Robert Knecht) is how about the great and amazing and good and cool monarchy Francis I created and how Henry III destroyed it and was gay.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok but the poop shortage one better be real.
The guano islands being scraped bare.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also grad school history is like trying to drink from a firehose, gently caress

Yeah, that's why I gave up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

oscarthewilde posted:

it's even more deranged - more quintessentially British - cause these hugely impressive feats of military engineering and logistics were complete failures. only one mission actually did some actual damage, and even that was repaired by the argentinians within 24 hours. it's propaganda, plain and simple, one last hurrah for blitz spirit and British exceptionalism.

10 tankers, a SAR plane that couldn't make it, two bombers, one with the window rolled down a crack.
What do you call this act?
The Penguin Protectors of the British Empire

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weka posted:

Despite her immense mass she could not, as naval mines typically have magnetic triggers. Unless you refer to your dick as a naval mine (explodes in the wet).

This is what you get for listening to Iron Maiden, baby.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm not sure Arther McArther is the joke you want to tell four times.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fish of hemp posted:

This Churchill guy seems a bit of a poo poo.

Is this really going to be your Churhill to die on?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

One of the few funny parts from when the Portuguese first came to India:

This is ancient aliens level of denial.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Seriously, one party rule isn't a dictatorship. Even if it has a strong executive.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Atrocious Joe posted:

That map has to be only land travel. You can't even see the Mississippi River in any of them despite that being a major avenue for travel.

I see some lines following coasts so I think it includes water ways.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

quote:

Claude-Frédéric Bastiat was a French economist, writer and a prominent member of the French Liberal School. A member of the French National Assembly, Bastiat developed the economic concept of opportunity cost and introduced the parable of the broken window.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Buttery Pastry posted:

America got rid of the title of king, not the monarchy. The American president is a monarch.

He's actually an executive because America is a business.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

M'Landing

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The Russians used a knife

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/bazaarofwar/status/1347989300718219264

reading this thread and i can't help but think of War as a Service and cryptocurrency for mercenaries

The Pope tried this. Think he called it "salvation"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The WWI Italian front where they're fighting IN the mountain and you can hear them drilling to get you sounds like the kind of insanity that would make me kill myself the fastest.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Calico Heart posted:

hey goons, I am working on a project and need some help. What is, for your money, the worst thing McDonald’s has ever done? business practise or knowingly endangering customers/workers?

Sold to Ray Crock

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
God's very own glowstick caused the wounded soldiers to rave so hard that they invented the binky. Hence it's militaristic name: The Pacifier.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eldoop posted:

The French imposing a regime of brutal racial subjugation on Haiti: Honhonhon oui!! Putain oui!!!

The French having a regime of brutal racial subjugation turned on them: Eh bien ça putain craint. Ce bordel.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Based on the tweet I'm going to assume the best work was done by the first, second, and third white Russians.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Don't worry, her son will be equally if not more problematic.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cromwell would have been rolling in his grave, seeing his namesake be so blocky.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chamale posted:

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"
"I don't know, why?"
"To get to the other side."

I'm annoyed by the claim that the 'other side' means death and this is a joke about suicide. So I looked into the history of the chicken crossing the road, and it turns out it's originally a racist joke. According to Ken Burns' Jazz, it was popularized by minstrel shows, as a sketch where someone in blackface would be too stupid to solve the simple riddle "why did the chicken cross the road".

The chicken understands what you do not: That its entire existence is predicated on the continuation of the joke. It's life, much like yours, is part of a farce. A cosmic jape. Except the chicken's is much more literal to us since we, in the span of seven words, have created it's entire universe. There is only one path for the chicken, and you have already deterministically set it upon this path by your use of the past tense, 'did'. The events of the chicken's not only are predetermined but have already occurred. The completion of the joke is the death of the chicken, even had it survived its crossing the joke would end and so would its existence. Both routes to a single point the chicken, in kind, responds in a superposition of answers. Both of it's singular triumph and of the futility of it all.
To get to the other side, sir, I think would like the coleslaw.

HootTheOwl has issued a correction as of 13:33 on Sep 23, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Are we talking Matt Smith here or Charles Dance

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What is your historical movie/tv show dream? I want a 13 episode miniseries about the Solomons campaign that alternates between an American perspective, a Japanese perspective, and a Guadalcanal islander perspective.

The Falkland islands from the POV of the penguins.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rutibex posted:

What does winning WW1 even look like for Germany? are they doing a battle of Britain with blimps?

WWI brought the government's of just about everyone involved to their knees. Winning just means surviving long enough for the other guy to collapse.
Which, you'll recall, still happened in the losing countries.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

War and Pieces posted:

MAD Magazine was founded because of angry letters in response to that "and then the astronaut took of his space helmet and he was not white the end" comic

what?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

R. Mute posted:

do they tho

Social history only exists because we started to.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Some Guy TT posted:

Any good theory must explain the end of famines and their occurrence jointly. Colonial apathy cannot do that because there is no good way to show that apathy ended around 1900. It is a nonsensical idea and an unverifiable one.
Victoria died

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

You have to unskew the railroads

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Eh. It's a livin'

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is it because "it's capitalism"?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weka posted:

South Korea was totally a colony of the USA.

Is it no longer?

E: I guess a protectorate is a colony

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah but my Nikes are from Vietnam so you tell me who won

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Obviously the bats were real, and kept on ice and recovered by the Chineese so that they could spread covid later.
Operation Warp Speed was able to create a vaccine so fast because they already had it in order to protect are troops if the bats spread too far.

*adds another piece of string to the Unified Conspiracy Theory board* "Yes, it's all coming together"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
C-SPAM › [Modern History] Gun Condoms and Electricity

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Biden: Hold my cone.

Seriously, without covid how is this guy going to win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weka posted:

I love Stalin. He was awesome. One of my all time faves. A personal hero who I try and emulate. Much like all right minded people of refinement and taste.

E: watched the video yet again. gently caress yeah Stalin!
I love Stalin so much I smooched Stalin on the lips and they Had to edit me out of that photograph because people were getting jealous of how often we could smooch