Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fish of hemp posted:

Wouldn't it be lot easier to just leave them untreated?

Nazi armies are for parading victoriously, not hobbling around all crippled asking for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ahh yes the extremely thoughtful 'they were the bad guys!!' analysis

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So, what, there are different grades of acceptable warcrimes depending on who you do them to...?

Like you guys understand that war crimes are still war crimes even if you're doing it to the SS or whatever right?

"They should've just shot Tojo if they didn't like it :smug:" isn't a take I expected to see here I gotta say.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:psyduck:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Idgi is out of context quotes of me bullshitting meant to make me look bad?

Terrible Opinions posted:

We're not gonna feel bad for concentration camp guards just cause they're on a boat going home rather than mulched at their posts.

This is reasonable, just want to note I don't somehow feel bad for any of the war crime dudes, don't know why it got taken that way. I just thought it was weird that one kind of war crime was ok but another wasn't; if the consensus is the concept of a war crime is, itself, bullshit then ok I'll take that. If we're talking what people 'deserve' then yeah the SS etc deserved the worst and hopefully most of them got it, I don't know why I have to say this.

Dumb hypothetical: if someone in west Germany ~1950 found a way to round up a bunch of former SS camp guards and killed them, would that person have been prosecuted in an earnest way?

Chamale posted:

The US doctrine against Japan was to kill as many Japanese people as possible and eventually they'd surrender. It worked, and it was a war crime. Maybe they could have won the war with fewer casualties if they hadn't done war crimes but that's not a question history is equipped to answer.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking about. The Nazis were explicitly genocidal so the war crimes were the point and they were big and bold. But with the allied nations it's a question of restraint vs whether bombing the poo poo out of cities impacted axis industry badly enough to be morally ok I guess, idk I'm just some idiot. Afaict the shipping blockades were what did most of the damage to the axis ability to fight.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They'd be prosecuted as a Soviet infiltrator, for attacking NATO personnel.

:lol: fantastic

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Now let's argue about the Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran.

How was that justified? From an international law standpoint, how was that less bad than Nazi Germany conquering neutral Belgium and Denmark? The answer is the Allied nations won the war, so gently caress you.

I didn't know about this, the wiki article has some choice quotes like

quote:

The Shah demanded to know why they were invading his country and why they had not declared war. Both answered that it was because of "German residents" in Iran. When the Shah asked if the Allies would stop their attack if he expelled the Germans, the ambassadors did not answer. The Shah sent a telegram to the US President Franklin D. Roosevelt, pleading with him to stop the invasion. As the neutral United States had nothing to do with the attack, Roosevelt was not able to grant the Shah's plea but stated that he believed that the "territorial integrity" of Iran should be respected.
and

quote:

Soviet troops did not withdraw from Iran proper until May 1946, following Iran's official complaint to the newly formed United Nations Security Council, which became the first complaint filed by a country in the UN's history, and a test for the UN's effectiveness in resolving global issues in the aftermath of the war. However, the UN Security Council took no direct steps to pressure the Soviets to withdraw.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The collected letters and articles in The Civil War in the United States are a pro-read

Lmao Engels was a catty bitch

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Allied intervention in the Russian Civil War is insane and so very swept under the rug. There were like 10,000 American troops in Russia at one point. The Japanese conquered the whole Russian Far East and half of Siberia and hung around for years.

Is there a good general history of the Russian civil war out there that goes into details about the interventionist armies and their actions?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol that the concept of governments who actually do things is now being lost in the mists of time and pretty much like Hitler if you think about it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

gonna crack a minute and let a bit of lib brain out: its insanely cool how the concept of "actually doing things to improve the lives of citizens" has been so thoroughly associated with the concept of the dreaded authoritarianism that the natural response for a lot of people is to draw the conclusion that dictatorship is thus cool and good

'dictatorship' is the same as 'authoritarian' because in practical use it has no fixed definition and is just a pejorative to use against people you don't like.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

I've been trying to figure out hair/skin colors for painting dark ages European miniatures and it kinda feels racist just googling it

Wouldn't just painting them all muddy and filthy to the point of skin tone being indistinguishable be more accurate anyway

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

History ended in 1991 actually

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

A history channel thread that's only for ww2 posting

Hitler and associates: a thread

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Most battle diagrams for me are like "hmm yes ok *nods*" cause you can't see anything decisive and it's just a bunch of boxes with an x in the middle crowding around Stalingrad or w/e but this is just an amazing, beautifully diagrammatised fuckup.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?

Tyranny against the British is like inflicting pain on a bacteria; does it really count?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What I've learned here is that democracy isn't real and never has been and is basically a philosophical wanking exercise dreamt up by ancient pedophiles and promoted further by other pedophiles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yo it's in vogue to hate Antony Beevor, and I understand why, but I want to say that, at least in Stalingrad, he is not light on the German army. He categorically rejects the idea that the German army did the fighting and others, like the SS, did all the war crimes, which is the absolute underpinning of the "clean Wehrmacht" mythology.

Yes but he does that mealy mouthed liberal both sides thing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have his Stalingrad book on my shelf and I learned more about the Holocaust in the east from YouTube. Idk.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Disposing of household garbage can be a problem.

Solution: shove it under your bed with a broom until it's safely out of view.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hitler had Michael Jackson's doctor holy poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CoolCab posted:

ya that was what started the conversation. alright, we give it plenty of poo poo but build a better solution to that problem. can't put literal razorblades in the general waste or really anywhere else without creating unnecessary hazard. rough to even handle the waste basket or whatever, and expecting people to go dispose of them when suds up is poor safety design. the blades are small enough and used infrequently enough that if put in an intelligent place those little slots can solve the problem for decades, hear stories of people opening them up and finding a big pile of rust on the floor but no damage or anything else.

The disposable blades are the root of the problem.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So, what, you think that before gilette's magic invention there was no such thing as shaving...?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Japanese stay behind island defender is my pick

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is next level holy wow

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

i'd be down to die in a cool war, and I'm pretty sure any war is about as cool as you make it

like, y'all talk about how hard Verdun was, but I'm pretty sure (based on meticulous research) the average height of a man back then was like 4'3", so I'm pretty sure I'd be okay.

Reading this in Carlton's voice is just exquisite

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is there a good go to book about the 1813 battle of Leipzig/battle of the nations?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is there any British WW2 tank that was actually good and not just good by British standards?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I thought the chieftain was the most powerful tank in pure direct combat terms of it's time? Like yeah it was slow and being British implicitly unreliable and poorly built, but that was a lot of armor and firepower in one vehicle for the time. I'd take it over a t55 if I were inside the tank personally.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

the chieftan was a contemporary of the t-64 and leopard 1 lol

Fuuuck me ok that's not ideal then

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They fielded the world's first mass produced, actually useful smokeless powder rifle

They fielded the world's first light machine gun going by tactical definition

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I read like two more pages and I'm already learning stuff

Apparently George III never left England. Ever. Not as a baby, not as a grown man, not as a crazy old person. He didn't even go to Scotland. This is the ruler of an advanced murderous Empire that spanned the whole globe. He just sat there like a spider in a web for his entire life. That's fuckin sad, man.

Imagine if he'd had the internet

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The whites were evil but like, in a strong manly way, you know?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I guess four days ago is technically history

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What is your historical movie/tv show dream? I want a 13 episode miniseries about the Solomons campaign that alternates between an American perspective, a Japanese perspective, and a Guadalcanal islander perspective.

Buddy cop procedural set in warlord period china

Landsknecht anti-band-of-brothers

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I remember reading some memoir or something where an officer tried to explain that lacking the stomach to shoot hundreds of untermench a day wasn't necessarily a moral falling, that those guys were just more suited to standing watch or whatever while the other dudes did the shooting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

drat he must've been like shooting people full-time all day long

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You might say they had to destroy Vietnam in order to save it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Only a feminist with a gun can stop a sexist with a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

guns mean that any woman can reliably kill any man at any time

Literally everyone has a gun, you're issued an AR-15 when you reach highschool, they have 5.56 NATO at the pharmacy next to the tampons