Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm going to finish listening to the dumb Revolutions podcast, but god, liberalism does things to your brain. I have no idea about the Kronstadt rebellion against the USSR, but how do you go from the facts as reported:
  • It started because someone claimed the reds were attacking when that wasn't true
  • The leadership hosed off to Finland after telling their dudes to sabotage all equipment
  • There was talk about the rebellion in foreign papers before it happened

That there definitely wasn't any foreign meddling because the UK was reopening trade relations? Definitely not something that happens in the real world, trading with a country you try to regime change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Endman posted:

Is the Revolutions podcast terrible lib poo poo or something?

I feel he gives a pretty good overview of what happens and who did what, but then has pretty terrible opinions about it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fish of hemp posted:

For what? I'm not saying they didn't do it, I just don't get why'd they kill 1% anticommunist pro industrialist.

Internal powerstruggles is the number one reason for 1% anticommunist pro industrialists to get murked.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

vyelkin posted:

There's a pretty horrifying article I just read this morning about the mass rape directed against Bangladeshi women during the liberation war in 1971. CW: this article includes a lot of discussion of rape and sexual assault. Whenever the next time comes around that people are making ranked lists of US presidents and somebody tries to say well actually Nixon wasn't that bad, remember that even though they were warned by the American diplomats in East Pakistan that "the overworked term genocide is applicable" to the situation, his administration fully supported Pakistan during this time, shipped them huge amounts of military aid, and when Indira Gandhi's India intervened to end the genocidal campaign against the people of Bangladesh, Nixon sent an aircraft carrier into the Indian Ocean as a show of force to try and get them to withdraw, and when they didn't, Nixon and Kissinger privately fumed about it because they viewed ending this genocidal campaign of mass rape as a Cold War defeat:

Another relevant part of the article:

There was an episode of RWN about this and one of the funny parts was that apparently Kissinger was reassuring Nixon all the way that the Chinese just would have to intervene on the Pakistanis side. Can't just let them humiliate you, you see.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

anti-nuclear energy people hissing: breeeeders

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

dads rock.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Chamale posted:

Nobody puts the knife down, and that makes it sound ridiculous. You just swap the fork and knife between your hands so that you can use your dominant hand for the current action, which is a lot faster than the European method.
Do you miss your mouth frequently when trying to cram food in there with your non-dominant hand?

galagazombie posted:

No one in all of America eats like that. no one puts down the knife or constantly switches hands. Hell most people just cut all their stuff at the start so they can eat without constantly having to stop to cut a new piece.

I've seen this done. Sickening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you have an optimistic view of western academia if you dont think swarms of applebaums and synders are in the future

I mean it's entirely fair to say it's not the entire purpose, obviously. When we had the Holodomor melee fights we pulled out Kotkin. But the Snyders and Applebaums are on my TV while the more nuanced stuff is literally Academic, so I don't think Losurdo is necessarily wrong if he say the anti-communist stuff is the official history.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 12:08 on Apr 19, 2024