Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mycomancy posted:

Oh no wonder Stalin is so maligned in modern discourse. He actually DID something about fascists and refuse to platform them.

https://twitter.com/roun_sa_ville/status/1393284273088651266

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/ymatusik/status/1457850538566029315

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

FizFashizzle posted:

i think mike duncan is fine as a layman's historian who makes a podcast that i can listen to while i sit on a rower for 30 minutes at 530 in the morning. at the very least he's better than dan carlin.

his writing is dreadful, however. his style really doesn't translate to book form

dan carlin's hard r history

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my dad posted:

I've had goons quote Sleepwalkers at me in a "Serbs had the genocide coming" way. Which generally shapes how I think of that book. Haven't read it.

Half of what i've read about Yugoslavia has a pretty obvious anti serb bias.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my dad posted:

A bit late on this, but outside of xenophobic inertia of the propaganda campaigns in the past decades, it's generally less anti-Serb bias, and more just generally being completely off the mark about a bunch of stuff. Years ago while I still posted in the military history threads, I brought up bunch of straight up invented poo poo that gets passed on everywhere because it's rarely challenged and confirms preexisting beliefs.

A historical tidbit: Judah Alkalai was an influential proto-Zionist thinker, and a lot of his writing about what he imagined future Israel should be was based off of what he perceived liberal revolutionary Serbia to be. It went on to influence how a lot of other people in Austria etc perceived Serbia... Here's the problem: He was full of poo poo and was basically writing utopian (from a nationalist point of view) fanfics that had little to do with the actually existing Serbia at the time.

Like, something about 19th century Serbia broke a lot of brains in Europe, and we're still reading words that were written using leaking brain goo instead of ink as history. And then people writing later histories went on to quote that, extrapolated unrelated things to Yugoslavia, and round and round we go.

That doesn't sound too shocking, most of what I found was from western journalists who visited after the war. Do you have any books or articles you'd recommend about Yugoslavia?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Demon_Corsair posted:

Can anyone recommend a good history of the Korean War? I just started listening to the when diplomacy fails podcast and... Yikes.

It starts off by talking about drat crazy the north Koreans are making nukes in the 21st century.

Then we get into the cold war primer about how Stalin was too paranoid and made a terrible mistake by not accepting the Marshall plan. Naturally this plan was in good faith and with no strings attached.

I had no idea that the Marshall plan was even offered to the soviets, does anyone know why they turned it down?

E: the Korean War was apparently mostly Stalins fault because he wanted China to fight the us. Hovever the host graciously allows thay the US was also looking to benefit from the conflict before it started..

Not sure if you got the answers you wanted but i'd recommend 2 books:

The Korean War - Bruce Cumings
The US Imperialists Started the Korean War

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cumings has a lot of good stuff out there about the Korean War and the DPRK in general. I don't recall if he's a marxist, but he's extremely symptomatic to the plight of the North Korean peoples.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dameius posted:

Sympathetic auto correct/predict?

Yep owned by phone posting.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Southpaugh posted:

yeah starting to think we should have one history thread - means we might get more history to read for those of us who like to read history posts about history. I don't mean historical posts. I mean posts ABOUT history.

Just make the thread OP.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Here you go I made one for you

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4005708

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cross posting to this thread as you all might also know.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Were there any plans discussed for the subcontinent's partition outside of those discussed between the british and the ultras?

What would a more democratic version of this partition look like? Would it have even happened?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

RWN's series on the civil war has really made me realize how revisionist the history I was taught in school was.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

what if we create a system of government for just the fellas

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dustcat posted:

there was that group of swedish nazi bodybuilders who wanted to start a male ethnostate in the woods but i dunno if that's still on

riff it out

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Collapse: The Fall of the Soviet Union by Vladislav Zubok is a good summary of the fall of the USSR. It's written by a member of the soviet intelligentsia so it will appeal to your nontankie sensibilities.

I'd also recommend Blood Lies by Grover Furr for a good summary of the USSR under Stalin.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

:troll:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's not directly about the USSR but I think that Parenti's Blackshirts and Reds is a good introduction to the subject of the USSR especially in literature.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The stuff that the French did to the Algerians is genuinely horrifying.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Is there a good book about the Soviet war in Afghanistan? How popular were the Mujahedin?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

V. Illych L. posted:

this picture does not look like what he's talking about

those poles are very thin and if these are prisoners they're very poorly secured or trussed up in a frankly inexplicable way. the picture looks more like dummies to me

They’re dummies, if you look at the comments people link to some sources.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

Try Gregory Feifer's "The Great Gamble"

Sounds good, I will check it out. I saw somewhere else people were recommending Zincy Boys. Have any of you read it? If so how does it hold up?

From a cursory glance it just looks like it describes soviet dysfunction throughout the war.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

A lot of ex nazis/nazi adjacent people also escaped to Africa. A bunch of ex ustase type people fought for the FLN during the Algerian civil war.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Been reading about the Sikh empire, and the types of Europeans that went to fight for them are absolutely wild. Like this guy was an Italian Jew who fought for Napoleon, served the Shah, and then finally came to serve the Sikhs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Baptiste_Ventura

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

There were a few other people like him. Quirked up white boys going to the orient to join the sikhs is very funny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Gardner_(soldier)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josiah_Harlan

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my dad posted:

The ones I do remember are relatively recent in comparison:
Flora Sandes, who is probably the sanest of the bunch (probably due to not actually being a weirdo war tourist adventurer for the most part), she was deployed here as a nurse during WW1 and joined the army of Serbia as a combatant at the request of a Serbian commander.

What the hell, she was a hardcore royalist, she also married an officer of the whites.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

We have 15 military bases in South Korea. lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Can recommend me a good biography of Simon Bolivar?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Are there any charts out there about populations before and after the partition of countries like Yugoslavia, or the USSR?

Looking for stuff like this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

in "Cuisine, Colonialism and Cold War: Food in Twentieth-Century Korea" there is a chapter about how japanese occupation completely changing how soy sauce was produced and sold in korea. are there any other examples of this? i know that a lot of places in south east asia got introduced to american mass meats during/after ww2

heres a video of the traditional process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAiG1kATPeo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Some Guy TT posted:

im a little surprised you know that southeast asia got introduced to american mass meats but not south korea i was always under the impression that south korea was the most dramatic case of this because spam was effectively the only meat available in the country for so long it became a distinct delicacy thats the presumed key ingredient for military stew (budae jjigae) which is a major dish in the korean food canon at this point even if they obviously dont have it in north korea

i think the story baout budae jjigae isnt a story about spam, its a story about how people in south korea had to buy food from american military bases because there was nothing else around which is why that dish contains a mishmash of things: miniature hot dogs, american cheese, spam, and whatever korean stuff people had on hand: noodles, tofu, rice cakes, rice

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Some Guy TT posted:

hm. you know i imagine ive seen budae jjigae with all of those ingredients at some point or another but the only one thats always been in it every single time has been spam. i think the sort of mishash whatever random old thing we have on hand kind of food culture in south korea youre describing is better expressed with side dishes or banchan where the traditional form of that differs substantially from the modern version in terms of pairing

you should uh ask me in a week or two to explain what i mean by that because im not done translating the korean food comic that explains what those differences actually are yet

what

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

what

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

StashAugustine posted:

I've always liked the story that Scotch eggs were invented by the Mughals

technically it was invented by the hindus in 200 bc and stolen by the muslims

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tankbuster posted:

also eggs are tamasic and bad.

please stop teaching indian words to white people

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Joe Chip posted:

Any book recommendations for a history of the Korean War? I've been trying to listen to Blowback S3 but I have a hard time retaining information from podcasts. I checked their sources list and it's extensive but I only really have time for 1 or 2 books.

bruce cummings book on the korean war is probably the bible on the conflict

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mr. Sharps posted:

lol at asking anybody under 30 to come up with an original idea

stewie griffin politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

giving up a dictatorship of the proletariat for adolf hitler politics