Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Back in September Suplex Liberace asked both threads for book recommendations and there were, by my count, roughly just shy of 100 books suggested depending on how you want to count collections and what not. To prepare for gift giving season I took all the recs and cleaned up the data to be easy reference. And since y'all did the heavy lifting for me I figured I'd pay it back by sharing all the cleaned up data if you wanted to review it and pick anything up from it. All links go to the Google Book page with exception of Debt, which still references the PDF.

Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years by David Talbot
Late Victorian Holocausts: El Niño Famines and the Making of the Third World by Mike Davis
War Plan Orange: The US Strategy to Defeat Japan, 1897-1945 by Edward Miller
The Radicalism of the American Revolution by Gordon S. Wood
The Wehrmacht's Last Stand by Robert M. Citino
The Global Minotaur by Yanis Varoufakis
In The Shadows of the American Century by Alfred W. McCoy
Armageddon Averted: The Soviet Collapse, 1970-2000 by Stephen Kotkin
White Shoe: How a New Breed of Wall Street Lawyers Changed Big Business and the American Century by John Oller
The Eastern Front 1914-1917 by Norman Stone
German Social Democracy and the Rise of Nazism by Donna Harsch
Approaching Vietnam: From World War II through Dienbienphu by Lloyd C. Gardner
The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 by Antony Beevor
The Assassination of Julius Caesar: A People's History of Ancient Rome by Michael Parenti
Deng Xiaoping's Long War by Xiaoming Zhang
We are Cuba! How a Revolutionary People Have Survived in a Post-Soviet World by Helen Yaffe
Deng Xiaoping: A Revolutionary Life by Alexander V. Pantsov and Steven I. Levine
Blood Cries Afar: The Forgotten Invasion of England 1216 by Sean McGlynn
The Last Duel by Eric Jager
Greek Fire, Poison Arrows, and Scorpion Bombs: Biological and Chemical Warfare in the Ancient World by Adrienne Mayor
A most holy war: The Albigensien Crusade and the battle for Christendom by Mark Gregory Pegg
The Last Imaginary Place by Robert McGhee
The Coming of the Third Reich by Richard J. Evans
The Third Reich in Power by Richard J. Evans
The Third Reich at War by Richard J. Evans
The Emperor by Ryszard Kapuscinski
A Bright Shining Lie by Neil Sheehan
The Best And The Brightest by David Halberstam
1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed by Eric H. Cline
...and Forgive Them Their Debts by Michael Hudson
Life and Society in the Hittite World by Trevor Bryce
Soldiers and Ghosts by J. E. Lendon
Dancing in the Glory of Monsters by Jason Stearns
Debt: The First 5,000 Years by David Graeber
Napoleon: A Political Life by Steven Englund
The Blood Never Dried: A People's History of the British Empire by John Newsinge
The Wretched Of The Earth by Frantz Fanon
Killing for Coal by Thomas G. Andrews
A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear by Matthew Hongoltz-Hetling
A Nation Under Our Feet by Steven Hahn
The Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death, the Most Devastating Plague of All Time by John Kelly
killing hope by William Blum
Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era by James M. McPherson
Before the Storm: Barry Goldwater and the Unmaking of the American Consensus by Rick Perlstein
Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America by Rick Perlstein
The Invisible Bridge: The Fall of Nixon and the Rise of Reagan by Rick Perlstein
Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America by David Hackett Fischer
The Making of the English Working Class by E. P. Thompson
Suburban Warriors: The Origins of the New American Right by Lisa McGirr
Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877 by Eric Foner
The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism by Edward E. Baptist
Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda by Roméo Dallaire
The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy by J. Adam Tooze
Crimea by Orlando Figes
A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution, 1891-1924 by Orlando Figes
Stayin' Alive: The 1970s and the Last Days of the Working Class by Jefferson Cowie
U.S. Capitalist Development Since 1776: Of, By, and for which People? by Douglas Fitzgerald Dowd
The Korean War by Max Hastings
1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann
1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by Charles C. Mann
Mohawk Saint: Catherine Tekakwitha and the Jesuits by Allan Greer
The Great Leveler: Violence and the History of Inequality from the Stone Age to the Twenty-First Century by Walter Scheidel
American Slavery, American Freedom by Edmund Morgan
The Age of Napoleon: A History of European Civilization from 1789 to 1815 by Will and Ariel Durant
Age Of Empire: 1875-1914 by Eric Hobsbawm
Age of Revolution, 1789-1848 by Eric Hobsbawm
The age of capital, 1848-1875 by Eric Hobsbawm
Huey Long by T Harry Williams
Ten Days that Shook the World by John Reed
The Paris Commune of 1871 by Frank Jellinek
Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson
Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety by Eric Schlosser
The Jakarta Method: Washington's Anticommunist Crusade and the Mass Murder Program That Shaped Our World by Vincent Bevins
Russia in Revolution: An Empire in Crisis, 1890 to 1928 by S. A. Smith
The Baron’s Cloak: A History of the Russian Empire in War and Revolution by Willard Sunderland
Former People: The Final Days of the Russian Aristocracy by Douglas Smith
The Cold War: A World History by Odd Arne Westad
The Global Cold War: Third World Interventions and the Making of Our Times by Odd Arne Westad
Segregation: A Global History of Divided Cities by Carl Nightingale
King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa by Adam Hochschild
Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway by Jonathan B. Parshall, Anthony P. Tully
Facing East from Indian Country: A Native History of Early America by Daniel K. Richter
Clearing the Plains: Disease, Politics of Starvation, and the Loss of Indigenous Life by James Daschuk
Ramp Hollow: The Ordeal of Appalachia by Steven Stoll
Hammer and Hoe: Alabama Communists During the Great Depression by Robin D. G. Kelley
Montaillou: Cathars and Catholics in a French Village, 1294-1324 by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie
Food: A Culinary History from Antiquity to the Present by Albert Sonnenfeld, Jean-Louis Flandrin, Massimo Montanari
Words on Fire: The Unfinished Story of Yiddish by Dovid Katz
Co. Aytch: A Side Show of the Big Show by Samuel R. Watkins
Robert A. Caro's the Years of Lyndon Johnson Set by Robert Caro
Myth and Metropolis: Walter Benjamin and the City by Graeme Gilloch
The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future by Joseph Stiglitz
Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland by Christopher Browning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

More Michael Swanson

Since the fall of the USSR have we been able to get scholarship to show if the Soviets were as equally deluded about our capabilities, especially that early on?

I know of several Cold War head games we tried and of course we think it was a giant success, but were they really?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Cumings has a lot of good stuff out there about the Korean War and the DPRK in general. I don't recall if he's a marxist, but he's extremely symptomatic to the plight of the North Korean peoples.

Sympathetic auto correct/predict?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

As brilliant a self-own as this is, I think July 4th is an even more important one because Vicksburg is taken and Confederate troops are beaten at Helena so it's the decisive smackdown that the Confederacy is cut in half and they no longer have a way to get troops or supplies across the Mississippi in any great numbers.

And then the salty losers that they were, didn't celebrate the 4th for ~70 years.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
A whole country on meth really easily explains McCarthyism very succinctly.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

I don't know if it was this thread or the MilHist thread but the "Nazis on Meth" book is pretty bad history, most people in the German army would have gotten 20 meth pills or nothing, and there is literally no evidence that lots of regular people were going out and buying meth off the shelves.

If anyone in WWII were meth fiends it was the Finns;

Now in YouTube animation format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfoMvgDY8hk

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Being one of the cave "hospital" nurses during Okinawa sounded like a particular kind of hell.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

In America, you volunteer for war. In Belgium, war volunteers for you!

Yeah but it costs an arm and a leg.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Has anyone invaded Russia from the east and won?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mandoric posted:

The Mongols, pretty famously.

The Russo-Japanese War also should probably count, though that was mostly over colonial influence and concluded with negotiations where Japan took the Russian sphere after their clear defeat rather than action on or transfer of any of their own territory.

But didn't the Mongols come from the west? And not quite the same, but also for the Russo-Japanese War it wasn't an eastern invasion.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mongols came from the East
Christianity came from the South
The winds blew down from the North
All other invaders came from the West

I meant moving into Russia by going east which would have been attacking Russia on their west. :doh:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

hey goons, I am working on a project and need some help. What is, for your money, the worst thing McDonald’s has ever done? business practise or knowingly endangering customers/workers?

All the other things are worse and operate on bigger scales and budgets. On a more personal/limited scope scale the hot coffee lawsuit was supremely hosed up.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The idea that the CIA finally managing to kill a major head of state when they gently caress up an intended non lethal assassination attempt as scare tactic/warning message/whatever against their own president is one of those things that sounds too perfect to be true.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Don't worry, her son will be equally if not more problematic.

Don't sell him so short, he'll be wildly more problematic.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
13 episode mini series on the Trưng sister's rebellion shot ala HBO Rome.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swiftsaur.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Azathoth posted:

No, they never did turn the corner on Vietnam and make it profitable, though it wasn't for lack of trying. The MIC made off like bandits, which one could argue demonstrated yet another way to extract resources, just not from external colonization.

Yeah, that's the crux of my point. They have theoretical sovereignty and self determination, and if you ask the people there if they do, they would absolutely say yes. However, the moment they do anything that is against the interests of the ownership class, the machinery of capitalism begins to work against them. Whether that is the UN or the IMF or the EU or individual countries protecting the interests of their local ownership class, it doesn't really matter who.

The, "You're free to do whatever you want so long as it is what we want," form of colonization.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Weka posted:

That money was well spend destroying Vietnam because then Vietnam had to borrow to repair itself.

Broken window theory of state building.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
He was really stalin' those coup attempts with all those purges.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Lpzie posted:

history isfor dummies. make ur own story

That's what Napoleon was doing.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It's basically all to do with this photo, for better or worse.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i forgot about them

This pleases Korea.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

if u're not supposed to use the "the" then what the are you supposed to use?

it's your Ukraine. Of course it's company policy never to, not imply ownership in the event of an Ukraine... always use the possessive article your Ukraine, never the Ukraine.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Answer changes depending on which Europeans you're talking about.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

500excf type r posted:

Day of defeat, Unreal Tournament, Oregon Trail

DooM, Dark Forces, Hexen, Heretic, Rise of the Triad, Civilization

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mr. Sharps posted:

take it to the premodern history thread, buddy

poo poo, guess you're right. My bad.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

i say swears online posted:

*looking down at coconut with straw in it* i could deflect a bayonet with this, right hon?

*looking at middle distance brush cover* this coconut is pretty small, think it'd approximate a grenade?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Paradox players are either full communists (me) or full fascists (people I don't like).

And the fascists say the exact same thing in reverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Weka posted:

Lol, what are they going to offer them, a particularly interesting clod of mud?

There is this one particular mummified cat that froze to death under someone's porch in I think Leipzig that I've seen displayed in at least 3 museums in 3 different countries across 2 different continents. They should send that to China.