Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/mcmoynihan/status/1552309024732991488

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Weka posted:

Also from an ethical one, as it would be much easier to kill Americans.

The real heroes of the vietnam war: the soldiers who fragged their officers.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

No wonder he got cucked by the beer summit

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

this might be really broad but does anyone have any favorite military history books? just started one about The Somme

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shattered Sword by Parshall and Tully is about Midway and features a neat example of scholarship in one language not matching that if another, and Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James D. Hornfischer about the colossal fuckup that was the Battle off Samar.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Shattered Sword is my favorite, absolutely. Strong recommend.

Most fun: Eye-Deep in Hell by John Ellis.

My favorite war history, perhaps it's not military history exactly but it is about a war and it does feature lots of people who were in the military, is The Good War by Studs Terkel.

I don't trust anyone's opinion about American involvement in WW2 unless I know they've read The Good War

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
i'm not much of a military history guy but i grabbed Civil War Infantry Tactics: Training, Combat, and Small-Unit Effectiveness from the library one day and found it fascinating

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

MonsieurChoc posted:

The real heroes of the vietnam war: the soldiers who fragged their officers.

I’m sure a few of those was because the officer tried to stop the troops from committing war crimes on the regular though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this might be really broad but does anyone have any favorite military history books? just started one about The Somme

I'm gonna throw out as a very memorable title "Enduring the Whirlwind" by Gregory Liedtke. It's essentially one gigantic debunking of the myth that the German Army in the Eastern Front after 1941 was severely understrength, as a deflection used by certain persons to distract from later German defeats (i.e., the Ostheer was unable to take Stalingrad because it just didn't have enough troops). The author goes through a long statistical analysis of orders-of-battle, replacement/reinforcement rolls, inventories of equipment, and so on and so forth, and manages to credibly establish that Germany was in fact able to rebuild its army in the East to at-or-near parity with its Barbarossa status.

Ergo, the Axis lost because they were plain outfought.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

With all the recent scholarship showing how the Eastern Front was actually completely different than the popularly known Nazi account of events (what a surprise) I am half expecting it to be revealed soon that the Romanian army actually punched above its weight and outperformed the Germans on at least some metrics. As opposed to the popular conception of a trash fire that failed at defending the flanks causing Paulus' encirclement.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the gigantic Soviet offensives in and around Smolensk in September 1941 that depleted Army Group Center was, as far as I can tell, largely invisible to Western eyes until the Soviet archives were opened

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

With all the recent scholarship showing how the Eastern Front was actually completely different than the popularly known Nazi account of events (what a surprise) I am half expecting it to be revealed soon that the Romanian army actually punched above its weight and outperformed the Germans on at least some metrics. As opposed to the popular conception of a trash fire that failed at defending the flanks causing Paulus' encirclement.

That came up with this lecture/presentation. I watched it a while ago so I can't remember many details, but what I remember is that Romanians were active and motivated participants that the Germans often made use of, and were also a convenient scapegoat for the Germans' failures. When you read Beevor's book on Stalingrad he makes them out to be medieval peasants given rifles. Then the Germans inexplicably trust them to guard an incredibly important flank at Stalingrad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-IA2K8ADkY

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Azathoth posted:

*monkey's paw curls as you die falling into a vat of molten steel*

Stalin origin story?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I replayed Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa recently and in light of recent scholarship about the Eastern Front it... doesn't hold up well.

Shame since it's such an innovative war game.

Wonder if we'll ever see an Eastern Front game where the Soviets are counterattacking like mad from 1941 onwards.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Everybody has been giving you a billion military history recommendations about WW2 so I'll come out of left field and say that you should read Russia Against Napoleon by Dominic Lieven to learn about a much earlier Eastern Front where somebody who had already conquered Europe tried to invade Russia and got hosed up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If it wasn't for Russia we'd all be speaking Swedish right now

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If it wasn't for Russia we'd all be speaking Swedish right now

This but for whatever Swedish cavalryman accidentally shot Gustavus Adolphus in the back of the head

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Orange Devil posted:

I replayed Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa recently and in light of recent scholarship about the Eastern Front it... doesn't hold up well.

Shame since it's such an innovative war game.

Wonder if we'll ever see an Eastern Front game where the Soviets are counterattacking like mad from 1941 onwards.

...how so? I dont recall anything particularly egregious about it

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Has anyone invaded Russia from the east and won?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Orange Devil posted:

I’m sure a few of those was because the officer tried to stop the troops from committing war crimes on the regular though.

Not sure, the officer corps was full of psychos.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Dameius posted:

The Mongols, pretty famously.

The Russo-Japanese War also should probably count, though that was mostly over colonial influence and concluded with negotiations where Japan took the Russian sphere after their clear defeat rather than action on or transfer of any of their own territory.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mandoric posted:

The Mongols, pretty famously.

The Russo-Japanese War also should probably count, though that was mostly over colonial influence and concluded with negotiations where Japan took the Russian sphere after their clear defeat rather than action on or transfer of any of their own territory.

But didn't the Mongols come from the west? And not quite the same, but also for the Russo-Japanese War it wasn't an eastern invasion.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mongols came from the East
Christianity came from the South
The winds blew down from the North
All other invaders came from the West

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I always admired the mongols for their achievements....can you imagine being a regular mongol guy and there's this guy who used to be the son of a pretty big leader but then his dad died and nobodies heard much about him for a while and then he's back and aligned all your clans and establish a legal system and starting to conquer all comers.
but they also invaded russia in the winter, and it was to their advantage! cause they could use the rivers as roads for their cavalry.

to bring it back to the modern history, anyone who hasn't read a bit about the establishment of soviet mongolia should read a bit, pretty interesting things happening.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Fuligin posted:

Seconding this

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Mongols came from the East
Christianity came from the South
The winds blew down from the North
All other invaders came from the West

I meant moving into Russia by going east which would have been attacking Russia on their west. :doh:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

R. Mute posted:

personally, i wouldn't want to die in any war.
i'd be down to die in a cool war, and I'm pretty sure any war is about as cool as you make it

like, y'all talk about how hard Verdun was, but I'm pretty sure (based on meticulous research) the average height of a man back then was like 4'3", so I'm pretty sure I'd be okay.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

i'd be down to die in a cool war, and I'm pretty sure any war is about as cool as you make it

like, y'all talk about how hard Verdun was, but I'm pretty sure (based on meticulous research) the average height of a man back then was like 4'3", so I'm pretty sure I'd be okay.

Reading this in Carlton's voice is just exquisite

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I am not sure being two feet taller than everyone else would be an advantage in trench warfare.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardent Communist posted:

I always admired the mongols for their achievements....can you imagine being a regular mongol guy and there's this guy who used to be the son of a pretty big leader but then his dad died and nobodies heard much about him for a while and then he's back and aligned all your clans and establish a legal system and starting to conquer all comers.
but they also invaded russia in the winter, and it was to their advantage! cause they could use the rivers as roads for their cavalry.

to bring it back to the modern history, anyone who hasn't read a bit about the establishment of soviet mongolia should read a bit, pretty interesting things happening.

it's p funny because nobody seems to realize that the mongols conquered half the world in a generation not because they were some barbarian horde that was just so good at fighting battles but rather because they were literally about 700 years ahead of their time when it came to operational art and logistics

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Cerebral Bore posted:

it's p funny because nobody seems to realize that the mongols conquered half the world in a generation not because they were some barbarian horde that was just so good at fighting battles but rather because they were literally about 700 years ahead of their time when it came to operational art and logistics

"what if we shoot the wall that ISN'T impenetrable" was a millenia ahead of any european combattant, sure

but I def feel that it would have been difficult to anticipate, or counter, movement of resources and manpower that were completely impossible without an also completely impossible amount of horses, which god had simply given to mongolia as a prank

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Fuligin posted:

It does the thing where SS units get their own special black counters.

It depicts Soviet high command in a very negative light. Specifically:
- the only way to get competent commanders is to send Kruschev around to fire, force suicide or execute poor commanders. And you'll probably end up doing some of all of that since the political point cost increases for each action every time you take it. Or you can guarantee getting a competent marshall by releasing them from prison.

- the chance for armies to even activate (ie. be actually able to do something) is quite low and can only be increased by reorganizing the command structure of the army through a card play which is quite expensive in political points.

- similarly putting armies in defensive posture, giving them bonuses when defending and the only way to get a real fighting chance against the Germans, costs a prohibitive amount of political points to begin with (15 PP, vs 2 for Offensive or Neutral posture) unless you (sorta playing Stalin) "Admit crisis", which says "You are willing to concede that, yes, we are being invaded, and that, yes, it is serious.". This does make Stalin more paranoid though.

- Stalin being paranoid as a game mechanic where whenever you play useful cards or lose important cities his paranoia shoots up, which inevitably leads to him randomly purging officers, with the more competent ones being more likely I think, which also paralyzes that army for the turn. Note that officers being killed this way is *bad*, but sending Kruschev to get rid of incompetent officers, or competent officers who are perceived as so politically threatening to Stalin that they raise his paranoia is good?

- Soviets can increase political point gain only by holding onto specific cities beyond a specific turn limit, and by playing the "Demand Power" card, which says "Demand that the Politburo cede you ever more supreme executive powers!" (+5 PP per turn, increased paranoia). This is kind of a mandatory card play if I understand the Soviet side correctly.

- Soviet armies are only able to do basic rear end poo poo like blowing up bridges if Zhukov is personally supervising them. So only 1 army in the entire Soviet Union can blow up a single bridge every turn.

And then through the stacking of all the maluses effecting the Soviet army you also spend a very large chunk of the game just being utterly combat ineffective against the Germans, having to use your units as speedbumps on which the Germans hopefully exhaust themselves through too many successive attacks. Even when your front units start in Offensive stance (giving a bonus to attacks) and you manage to mass enough of them together that you think you might be able to counterattack somewhere, you probably can't because:
- German troops generally just have better stats than Soviet infantry
- Soviet armies are unlikely to activate so they have way fewer action points and are unlikely to be able to actually concentrate forces to mount an attack, let alone maneuver to exploit a breakthrough if you can even get one

This means it is difficult to even achieve a bloody nose.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 11:04 on Jul 30, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dameius posted:

I meant moving into Russia by going east which would have been attacking Russia on their west. :doh:

The Poles took Moscow in 1610 and installed their own tsar on the throne, but it only lasted a couple of years before the boyars stopped fighting each other, elected Mikhail Romanov, and chased them back to the west.

Probably the big real answer is that Germany invaded Russia from the west and won in WWI, but they then immediately lost the other war they were fighting and Russia's successor state got back some of the territory they had given up to Germany in the process (and then reclaimed most of the rest of it over the following 25 years one way or another). If you enter some alt-history hypothetical where Germany's western front doesn't collapse in 1918 then you're left with a Germany that defeated Russia on the battlefield, created the conditions that led to its government being overthrown twice, and forced a humiliating peace treaty on the third Russian government.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
AGEOD's Revolution Under Siege has a scenario where a victorious Germany invades Russia in 1921 at the height of the Russian Civil War in order to prevent the Bolsheviks from crushing the Whites and other separatists

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Dameius posted:

America, using it's primary weapon, money, when it took Alaska.

More seriously, I guess the Qing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Russian_border_conflicts

Weka
May 5, 2019

Dameius posted:

Oops.
Poland in the 20s. Didn't last long of course.
Also the Crimean war.

Weka has issued a correction as of 11:26 on Jul 30, 2022

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

"what if we shoot the wall that ISN'T impenetrable" was a millenia ahead of any european combattant, sure

but I def feel that it would have been difficult to anticipate, or counter, movement of resources and manpower that were completely impossible without an also completely impossible amount of horses, which god had simply given to mongolia as a prank

im thinking more like coordinating army movements between forces that were literally hundreds of kilometers apart and the enemy suddenly realizing that they've got a couple more mongol armies appearing as if out of thin air from every possible and impossible angle

and you know, invading russia in the winter and not only winning but winning real easy

Cerebral Bore has issued a correction as of 12:04 on Jul 30, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kevinliptakcnn/status/1553096606513258496

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to ask for recommendations on a book covering Napoleonic era naval warfare. Like if I wanted to learn about the Glorious First of June and Trafalgar and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd like to ask for recommendations on a book covering Napoleonic era naval warfare. Like if I wanted to learn about the Glorious First of June and Trafalgar and whatnot.

how do you manage to read so many books