Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
not that many people died in 9/11. it was just like, a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

rip allende

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Bideo James posted:

It was a day of covid so n b d really

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

titty_baby_ posted:

My favorite 9/11 consequence is a rambling YouTube comment from years ago where this jaded British raver is talking about how UK garage music was really upbeat and everything was great until 9/11, and then the whole national attitude changed and garage became darker and spawned grime and dubstep. So from this persons point of view 9/11 led to dubstep.

They're right, literally no piece of media was unaffected by 9/11. When did punk/grunge die again? What was the tone of 2000s rock? Remember when Jimmy Eat World renamed their platinum album released 2 months before 9/11 from "Bleed American" to self-titled? Or when Slayer got dragged for realeasing "God Hates Us All" on 9/11 with album art of a desecrated bible? Do you think David Lynch's Dune, wherein Kyle Maclaughlin leads a band of scrappy desert freedom fighters to a justified assault an imperial outpost by literally calling it jihad would have come out post-9/11? Or Deep Space Nine where one of the central characters is an unrepentant terrorist/freedom fighter (also 100% justified) would have even been made?

The Matrix was probably the last significant* work of pre-9/11 media, and it absolutely would not have been made or released afterwards.

*just purely based on the breadth and depth of its lasting cultural impact through to today.

Quetzadilla has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Feb 2, 2021

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Quetzadilla posted:

Now even the loving NYPD has their own international intelligence agency no loving joke.

not to mention loving overseas bureaus

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

compared to what

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Buck Wildman posted:

compared to what

I had a sandwich that I usually order, but changed up the bread to something I rarely have. A healthy wheat bread, but nice and soft and moist.

Total game changer. Maybe not my new Daily Driver sandwich, but man it sure changed how I look at how bread effects the sandwich.

That's probably not as profound as 911 but pretty close.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

a very big deal for flag manufacturers

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

9/11 was more of a psychic attack, mostly on boomers, more than anything. I think it is really hard to imagine the intellectual and cultural conformity that pervaded 90s America, especially as distilled by tv and media.

even just thinking about 9/11 is loving crazy, like almost a dream or waking nightmare. just thinking about the 90s style photography, style, video, and sense of security. of course this is all filtered through the head of a pretty young kid but I can almost feel like I was there. I can imagine someone standing at the edge, wind whipping, flames below them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think it was one of those critical moments for millenials. Growing up, watching every adult on the planet go absolutely insane, (I joined them for a while, but I was a preteen, they have no real excuse) was massively enlightening/alienating. More than my parents getting sick, and losing their middle class life to a dying economy and failing health, realizing that the adults in the room by and large were nothing but scared children with way too much power, was big-time formative for me. All of the jingoism and patriotism going around in north-central Texas at the time, was intoxicating at first, but once the buzz wore off, extremely alienating.

Without 9/11, I don't think I would be as "over" America as an idea or nation than I am now. Culturally, I think Millenial+Zoomer leftism also comes back to that stupid loving day.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

9/11 is almost old enough to legally drink

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Riot Bimbo posted:

I think it was one of those critical moments for millenials. Growing up, watching every adult on the planet go absolutely insane, (I joined them for a while, but I was a preteen, they have no real excuse) was massively enlightening/alienating. More than my parents getting sick, and losing their middle class life to a dying economy and failing health, realizing that the adults in the room by and large were nothing but scared children with way too much power, was big-time formative for me. All of the jingoism and patriotism going around in north-central Texas at the time, was intoxicating at first, but once the buzz wore off, extremely alienating.

Without 9/11, I don't think I would be as "over" America as an idea or nation than I am now. Culturally, I think Millenial+Zoomer leftism also comes back to that stupid loving day.

Yeah it was an interesting way to discover that adults have precisely zero idea of what's happening in reality

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
9/11 was incredibly lol in retrospect because it was the American people finally getting splashback from spending decades dumping bombs and guns into the flaming wok of the Middle East and wondering how the gently caress could this happen

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Al-Qaeda Claims Responsibility For Devastating Personal Attack On Illinois Man
1/28/10 8:00AM

quote:

WASHINGTON—In a statement posted this morning on several Islamist websites, the global terrorist network al-Qaeda claimed responsibility for last Thursday's devastating personal attack on Carbondale, IL resident Tim Harris.

The highly coordinated strike, which targeted the unsuspecting 32-year-old as he exited a Huck's convenience store, and made light of his ample girth, lack of employment, and inability to meet single women, occurred at 9:32 a.m. At 9:35 a.m., a second wave of vicious insults was reportedly launched at Harris, obliterating what little remained of his self-esteem.
Harris
Harris

"The foot soldiers of Islam have struck at this pathetic slob of a man with righteous force, and they have brought him down," read the statement, which praised as heroes the four al-Qaeda operatives who carried out the personal attack. "There is nothing left of him now. Tim Harris has been destroyed."

"Praise be to Allah," the statement continued. "Allah is great."

Department of Homeland Security officials told reporters that it could take months to determine the full extent of the damage from what they are calling the worst-ever ad hominem strike on American soil, even as crews worked around the clock to salvage whatever bits of Harris' self-respect they could from the wreckage.

"Never before has our nation witnessed such brutal mockery," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said. "It appears that al-Qaeda had been monitoring Mr. Harris long enough to become fully conversant in his insecurities, and was prepared to employ any means necessary, even pointing out his huge, Neanderthal-like underbite, to achieve its terrible goal. Indeed, there wasn't a single emotional sore spot—from his lack of sexual experience to the fact that most animals don't seem to like him—that they did not exploit."

"It's unthinkable," Napolitano added. "They even reminded Tim about the time nobody showed up to his New Year's party."
Illustration for article titled Al-Qaeda Claims Responsibility For Devastating Personal Attack On Illinois Man

When asked by reporters why her department had failed to prevent the hurtful attack, Napolitano said it was impossible for the government to secure every potential target in a country so densely populated with losers.

"At this time, we simply don't have the resources necessary for such an undertaking," Napolitano said. "As much as we would like to, we cannot guarantee the safety of every former telemarketer who sleeps on a futon and still has roommates despite being almost 35 years old."

Critics, however, pointed to the fact that al-Qaeda had attempted a similar personal attack on Harris in 2003, one that might have succeeded had it not been for an uncharacteristic intelligence-gathering error on the terrorists' part.

"We know that al-Qaeda will keep returning to a target until they get their desired result," CIA director Leon Panetta said. "Seven years ago, for whatever reason, they failed to take into account that Mr. Harris had been feeling pretty good about having done push-ups that morning and was optimistic about a job interview he'd just been on. That attack was unsuccessful, but we should have learned from it."

"I mean, just look at the guy," Panetta added. "It's hard to imagine a more vulnerable target."

While acknowledging that there is no foolproof way of protecting oneself against the cruelly incisive barbs of al-Qaeda, DHS released today a list of basic self-maintenance measures that Americans, particularly the most defenseless sad sacks, should employ to minimize their risk. Chief among these is cultivating an awareness of one's personal appearance. According to Napolitano, small, relatively easy improvements in wardrobe and hygiene can deprive al-Qaeda of obvious defects upon which to capitalize.

"All Americans must be vigilant about combing their hair," Napolitano said. "Also, they should wear a shirt that fits them for once in their life, and if they choose to put on sweatpants, maybe avoid those with obvious mustard stains on them."

"A personal attack can come at any time and when you least expect it, whether you're lounging around all weekend in your bathrobe or sitting in the waiting room of a hair-loss clinic," she added.

Napolitano stressed that there was no immediate threat of a personal strike against any particular individual. However, she admitted that her department was closely monitoring a number of "soft targets," including recently divorced Chicago resident David Braumberg, chronically fatigued Wal-Mart cashier Bridget Carmichael, and Rich Parker, a 28-year-old Ohio native who divides his time between playing poker online and staring glassy-eyed at old high school yearbooks late at night.

"I've personally monitored a few of these targets myself," Napolitano said. "Believe me, an attack from al-Qaeda is the last thing these losers need."

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

the millennial path of 90s kid -> 9/11 -> uhhh iraq war? -> watching dems and kerry SUCK rear end and the peace movement do nothing -> loose change -> briefly believe in obama -> disappointment -> loling at trump -> hope -> epstein -> despair

is pretty loving nuts

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

KaptainKrunk posted:

the millennial path of 90s kid -> 9/11 -> uhhh iraq war? -> watching dems and kerry SUCK rear end and the peace movement do nothing -> loose change -> briefly believe in obama -> disappointment -> loling at trump -> hope -> epstein -> despair

is pretty loving nuts
its been a hell of a ride, these 38 years

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bideo James posted:

we have had a 9/11 every day for months now.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ohrwurm posted:

9/11 is almost old enough to legally drink

i'm going to gently caress 9/11

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
mohammed atta was 33 years old at the time. what have tyou done with your life

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

bush did 9/11

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

paul_soccer12 posted:

mohammed atta was 33 years old at the time. what have tyou done with your life

I turn 34 next week gently caress this post and only this post specifically.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I was in my early 20s and living close to the mexican border and you could just like hop on over any time really, it was cool and fun. Anyways me and all my friends were all thinking about fleeing so we didn't get drafted by GW and I was freaked the gently caress out for like 10 days straight

life was good before 9/11, the last 20 years have basically just been me walking around with a weird look on my face

osama bin laden without question won

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

MIC won. Security state won. Letter agencies won. Nobody else won.

In fact, they won so hard, and their own words foreshadowed something like this hard enough, it's really difficult to not... you know... give in to conspiratorial temptations

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Riot Bimbo posted:

MIC won. Security state won. Letter agencies won. Nobody else won.

In fact, they won so hard, and their own words foreshadowed something like this hard enough, it's really difficult to not... you know... give in to conspiratorial temptations

pnac more like pnis

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

9/11 changed everything.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Riot Bimbo posted:

it's really difficult to not... you know... give in to conspiratorial temptations
listen to the TrueAnon 9/11 episodes

https://soundcloud.com/trueanonpod/911-week-bush-did-911-part-1
https://soundcloud.com/trueanonpod/911-week-bush-did-911-part-2

bush (admin) did 9/11

animist
Aug 28, 2018
the bush admin didn't do 9/11, but the cia inadvertently caused it in the 70s

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

9/11?? medium deal

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

There are multiple bushes and they all did 9 11

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

gertrude bell did 9/11

animist
Aug 28, 2018

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

There are multiple bushes and they all did 9 11

I always thought John Kerry woulda won if he ran on the slogan "Bushwhacker"

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

George Bush Jr and Dick Cheney were in the closet making 9/11s and I saw one of the 9/11s and the 9/11 looked at me!

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Yes even Jeb! did 9/11.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

9 11 CAN S U C K M Y F U C K I N G D I C K

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
To follow up: 9/11 really was the first crack to show in the United States' control since the Vietnam War. The Soviet Union had declined, fallen and Russia at that time (2001) was still a basket-case. China was really only starting just starting to really get more industrialized but generally wasn't a major threat. Since 1970s, everything had been going the US' way at that point and in general, the quality of life for most people was actually fairly decent especially coming off the general economic boom of the 1990s. It was a shock.

Not only did it lead to the War on Terror/Iraq/Afganistan and then the Patriot act, but generally pushed the US in a more aggressive position abroad. Arguably, it would also eventually lead to a more adversarial relationship with the Russians, Iran, and finally China.

The Great Recession was also a big deal, since it was really the first time, that the US started to go nuts with QE and be openly outrageous with bailouts.

That said, I think COVID is bigger than both of them combined.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

j/k though, 9/11 is best holiday

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Quetzadilla posted:

They're right, literally no piece of media was unaffected by 9/11. When did punk/grunge die again? What was the tone of 2000s rock? Remember when Jimmy Eat World renamed their platinum album released 2 months before 9/11 from "Bleed American" to self-titled? Or when Slayer got dragged for realeasing "God Hates Us All" on 9/11 with album art of a desecrated bible? Do you think David Lynch's Dune, wherein Kyle Maclaughlin leads a band of scrappy desert freedom fighters to a justified assault an imperial outpost by literally calling it jihad would have come out post-9/11? Or Deep Space Nine where one of the central characters is an unrepentant terrorist/freedom fighter (also 100% justified) would have even been made?

The Matrix was probably the last significant* work of pre-9/11 media, and it absolutely would not have been made or released afterwards.

*just purely based on the breadth and depth of its lasting cultural impact through to today.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

9/11 was an intelligence flub but boy howdy did Bush and the ruling class know how to take advantage of it

KaptainKrunk posted:

9/11 was more of a psychic attack, mostly on boomers, more than anything. I think it is really hard to imagine the intellectual and cultural conformity that pervaded 90s America, especially as distilled by tv and media.

even just thinking about 9/11 is loving crazy, like almost a dream or waking nightmare. just thinking about the 90s style photography, style, video, and sense of security. of course this is all filtered through the head of a pretty young kid but I can almost feel like I was there. I can imagine someone standing at the edge, wind whipping, flames below them.

There were people who live in bum-gently caress nowhere, and they were worried about terrorist attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Ardennes posted:

To follow up: 9/11 really was the first crack to show in the United States' control since the Vietnam War. The Soviet Union had declined, fallen and Russia at that time (2001) was still a basket-case. China was really only starting just starting to really get more industrialized but generally wasn't a major threat. Since 1970s, everything had been going the US' way at that point and in general, the quality of life for most people was actually fairly decent especially coming off the general economic boom of the 1990s. It was a shock.

Not only did it lead to the War on Terror/Iraq/Afganistan and then the Patriot act, but generally pushed the US in a more aggressive position abroad. Arguably, it would also eventually lead to a more adversarial relationship with the Russians, Iran, and finally China.

The Great Recession was also a big deal, since it was really the first time, that the US started to go nuts with QE and be openly outrageous with bailouts.

That said, I think COVID is bigger than both of them combined.

i think there is a chance that 9/11 and its aftermath in addition to the uptick in mass deprivation since the 08 crisis have made the system more resilient to absorbing COVID without losing much momentum