Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I was 16 during 9/11 and it really was awesome that the anatomy and physiology test i was going to fail got cancelled because the first tower fell exactly as I walked into the 3rd period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Egg Moron posted:

i think there is a chance that 9/11 and its aftermath in addition to the uptick in mass deprivation since the 08 crisis have made the system more resilient to absorbing COVID without losing much momentum

:thunk: you know you may actually be onto something there

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

lmao i didn't know about that one since i didn't get into the coup until much later. i was glad to find out boots is still GOAT and it was a label decision

quote:

Riley said the cover design, completed in June, was "supposed to be a metaphor for the capitalist state being destroyed through the music."

It should not be interpreted as a call to violence, particularly in light of Tuesday's tragedy, he said.

"My condolences go to the families of the victims and all their friends and anybody affected at all by the catastrophe," Riley said. "But they can't sidestep that the reason this is being censored is a political one, not a sympathetic one. It's not out of respect to the victims."

Riley said he lobbied to keep the cover intact because he wanted people to consider that it is not only foreign terrorists, but the United States as well, that have committed atrocious acts.

Chris Funk, The Coup's manager, said it's most likely that 75 Ark will prevail in its plan to change the cover, however.

"Ultimately, they reserve the right to use whatever cover they want because they're the label," he said.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Bro Dad posted:

rip allende

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

FormaldehydeSon posted:

what happened on november 9?

trump

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkSMSbFV_q0

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I'm not sure if covid is bigger than 9/11, because the worst poo poo that covid brought us because the response to covid by a large chunk of the nation was influenced by 9/11. Basically covid is a big 9/11 class blow to the American psyche but a lot of the cracks that it exposed were either created or exacerbated by 9/11

But then again, covid came far closer to outright collapsing the United States govt than Bin Laden ever did.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I was 19 when 9/11 happened and I was driving to my university, heard it on the radio and was in an elevator as I told this chick I had the hots for about it. Later they canceled all classes. I think I see the day before 9/11 as the last day there was optimism about the future and where man could go but that may be a western notion about it. Part of it is the lack of internet which was just starting up and later the exposure of the injustice that rules the world which came after....part of it is the complicity of media to go along with the crazy and allow it to fester until Trump. Ronald Reagan + Newt Gingrich + Fox News + In a 5-4 decision of Florida is responsible for the headlong sprint into it all but it was all amplified by 9/11 and used as the excuse. Murdoch-Ailes media is responsible for the decline of Australia-UK-US and radicalizing the population into their own living in mountain/boonies conservative religious gun toting fanatics like ISIS. I remember the arguments on these forums with people like FaaQ and Grover and conservatives who were wrong about everything 10 million times over but still argued. It proves conservatism is a bunk and wrong ideology that needs to be eliminated because all it does is harm people and drag the world into the abyss. I remember being with my friends who were conservatives white and not being able argue with them beyond saying "I don't think we should go to war with Iraq unless there is substansive proof of WMDs" because they were gung ho about killing browns (of which I am brown) to "liberate" Iraq. I had to register in the muslim registry despite knowing nothing about Islam, get my bio metrics and fingerprints taken, had constant problems with ICE that my University handled and helped me with (and despite being resident of Ohio I ended up paying 2x my undergrad and graduate tuition requirement because they classified me as a foreign student). It opened my eyes to what America and "The West" is. All the poo poo I was exposed to as a kid going to a school set up by the US and British Embassies in Saudi Arabia as a kid under 10 being propaganda about an idealized image about America vs what the real America was...which we saw under Trump.

I feel somewhat sure if Gore was President, the world would have gone a different direction. But Cheney and his crew wanted that oil in Iraq real bad and Conservatives like Scalia doing what was needed to poo poo on the world. Conservatism is utter evil and wrong. Conservatism is also what drives the middle east and Pakistan into the ground as failed states with injustice.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the memorial is literally two fuckin holes in teh ground

lmao

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I was a week into my freshman year at highschool this was the advent of my entire adult life gently caress the world

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

Chinatown posted:

lmao

the real memorial is all the grift that went into making those two holes

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Too bad it happened on a day so easy to market. You've got the 11 as symbology of the two towers and "Niney-Leven" is more catchy than "Nine Twenty Five".

Buck Wildman posted:

I was a week into my freshman year at highschool this was the advent of my entire adult life gently caress the world

Same but college freshman. Knew things had changed but I didn't know how utterly over the good times were.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Buck Wildman posted:

coulda been worse

u coulda been all HOORAH USA #1 and enlist in teh army after highschool and then 2 years later get turned to red mist by an IED during the worst days of the iraq war

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Chinatown posted:

lmao

owned

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Chinatown posted:

lmao

the most vulgar part of it is that it is meant to be this solemn place of reflection, like we resisted the urge to just sell the property to the highest bidder and rebuild loving whatever, but then you realize the insane levels of grift involved and you are like "oh"

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

yes we all know that you were a specific age when 9/11 happened and that's very important to your life's narrative

animist
Aug 28, 2018

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

yes we all know that you were a specific age when 9/11 happened and that's very important to your life's narrative

for about 7 years I didn't know that the buildings fell down afterwards and didn't understand why a few plane crashes were such a big deal

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

you in 2008: "wait what does this guy mean the economy is coming down faster than the twin towers...?"

animist
Aug 28, 2018

The Saucer Hovers posted:

you in 2008: "wait what does this guy mean the economy is coming down faster than the twin towers...?"

for context, I was not yet a teenager in 2008

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

animist posted:

for context, I was not yet a teenager

ah poo poo...
do you know junpei?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

There were people who live in bum-gently caress nowhere, and they were worried about terrorist attacks.

Yeah nuts were holding up random busses because they thought they were full of Antifa being shipped in to attack their town - oh, wait.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

I mean for the vast, vast, VAST majority of the posting cohort here, yes, it was.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Crunchy Black posted:

I mean for the vast, vast, VAST majority of the posting cohort here, yes, it was.

congrats, unless you happen to live in afghanistan i don't give a gently caress

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quetzadilla posted:

OP I'm guessing you're fairly young and probably don't have a fully developed personal sense of daily-life pre 9/11 as compared to post. That's not a knock on you or me being patronizing, in many ways pre-9/11 life is basically incomprehensible in retrospect. The short answer is "absolutely, yes, it was probably the single most history-shaping moment of the new millenium for the entire world." Not in and of itself just knocking down a couple buildings and killing 3k, but setting the groundwork for everything that came after. You know about the wars, the 2 million dead & counting, ISIS, the color revolutions, Libya, Syria, Yemen, the proliferation of polio, Uighurs, cocaine, PTSD, ICE, Occupy, Obama, Trump, Biden, Ferguson, George Floyd, the list goes on and on, but you're probably not consciously aware that all of these things are inextricably linked to 9/11 and the project to massively expand the reach and power of the carceral state in reaction to it. Even popular media post-9/11 became extremely jingoistic and fascistic, refocusing from the 90s zeitgeist of rebelling against authority to fighting off invasion/subversion from the other.

That doesn't mean that other historical things haven't been happening since that are also shaping the world, they influence each other, because nothing happens in a vacuum.

The important takeaway here is that osama clearly and inarguably won.

I like to watch King of the Hill and Daria to get a taste of the 90s zeitgeist but I'm an old and was in HS for 9/11 so the 90s were something i consciously lived through

Basically, 9/11 ruined everything

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Chinatown posted:

coulda been worse

u coulda been all HOORAH USA #1 and enlist in teh army after highschool and then 2 years later get turned to red mist by an IED during the worst days of the iraq war

this is exactly what happened to a kid the next cul de sac over from my parents' house

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-911-twin-towers-plan-2015-9

quote:

Donald Trump thought the plan for the new World Trade Center was 'disgusting' — here's what he wanted to do
Sep 11, 2015, 2:56 PM

Donald Trump Twin Towers II

Donald Trump and the Twin Towers II model at Trump Tower. John Dentato

In the aftermath of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, which occurred 14 years ago Friday, real-estate mogul Donald Trump became the most prominent backer of a plan to rebuild Manhattan's World Trade Center.

Trump, the current front-runner in the Republican presidential primary, lent his support to the effort in 2005. Among other things, he made media appearances during which he blasted the proposed Freedom Tower that was eventually built on the WTC site as "disgusting."

"It doesn't represent what we want to have represented. What I want to see built is the World Trade Center stronger and maybe a story taller, and that's what everybody wants," Trump said in an appearance on MSNBC. "It's just terrible what's happened in New York. ... We should have the World Trade Center bigger and better."

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I went near ground zero a couple of years ago. Some guy was selling 8x10s of the towers on fire

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yeah nuts were holding up random busses because they thought they were full of Antifa being shipped in to attack their town - oh, wait.

yeah before 9/11 there was that fear of communism, but it never felt like something that would actually be at their door step.

Now the Antifa is coming from inside their house (Zoomers).

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

I went near ground zero a couple of years ago. Some guy was selling 8x10s of the towers on fire

that owns.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
What happens on 9/11? You mean this year?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

titty_baby_ posted:

My favorite 9/11 consequence is a rambling YouTube comment from years ago where this jaded British raver is talking about how UK garage music was really upbeat and everything was great until 9/11, and then the whole national attitude changed and garage became darker and spawned grime and dubstep. So from this persons point of view 9/11 led to dubstep.

lol, but this is probably a correct take. Across the board dnb, house, trance all got darker in the years after. Progressive house in particular just went off the deep end. I'm very interested in how covid will shape the sounds and scenes in years to come.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gatts posted:

I feel somewhat sure if Gore was President, the world would have gone a different direction. But Cheney and his crew wanted that oil in Iraq real bad and Conservatives like Scalia doing what was needed to poo poo on the world. Conservatism is utter evil and wrong. Conservatism is also what drives the middle east and Pakistan into the ground as failed states with injustice.
gore was pretty succy but better than billy and was been a drastic divergence point in the timeline for sure. libs letting bush just steal the election was a real lol and focal point of our present hellscape conditions. reminder, bush, not gore, did 9/11. it wouldn't have happened under gore because bush did it.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

if COVID was taking out twin towers worth of property along with the lives lost every day, America would totally care way more

ultimately, it seems, to the average American, it wasn’t the death that was the issue, it was the spectacle, the property damage, and the minor inconveniences to their daily life (ie taking shoes off in the airport)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Xaris posted:

gore was pretty succy but better than billy and was been a drastic divergence point in the timeline for sure. libs letting bush just steal the election was a real lol and focal point of our present hellscape conditions. reminder, bush, not gore, did 9/11. it wouldn't have happened under gore because bush did it.

I feel like this is a very important sentiment to reiterate as it ultimately "feels" taboo to a large swath of Americans even if they intrinsically feel or know it.

Bush did 9/11.

You can argue the amount of personal input or ignorance he had in organizing it or ignoring folks doing it but his Administration definitively and deliberately allowed it to happen for political reasons. Don't argue with anyone who doesn't agree with that because they're not contemplating that administration in good faith.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Ardennes posted:

To follow up: 9/11 really was the first crack to show in the United States' control since the Vietnam War. The Soviet Union had declined, fallen and Russia at that time (2001) was still a basket-case. China was really only starting just starting to really get more industrialized but generally wasn't a major threat. Since 1970s, everything had been going the US' way at that point and in general, the quality of life for most people was actually fairly decent especially coming off the general economic boom of the 1990s. It was a shock.

Not only did it lead to the War on Terror/Iraq/Afganistan and then the Patriot act, but generally pushed the US in a more aggressive position abroad. Arguably, it would also eventually lead to a more adversarial relationship with the Russians, Iran, and finally China.

The Great Recession was also a big deal, since it was really the first time, that the US started to go nuts with QE and be openly outrageous with bailouts.

That said, I think COVID is bigger than both of them combined.

9/11 is a huge deal but this is not correct. what about the Iranian hostage crisis? that broke so, so many brains

I do like the idea that 9/11 partially caught on because the date itself was easy to pronounce and memorable. you never know what little for-want-of-a-nail moments like that are out there

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SPWgodul_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AYujWCCHRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTwKPot-ds0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VA3Bui9Jg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFQhw3VVToQ&t=209s

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chinatown posted:

lmao

sadly nobody had the balls to go for this proposal

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Riot Bimbo posted:

MIC won. Security state won. Letter agencies won. Nobody else won.

In fact, they won so hard, and their own words foreshadowed something like this hard enough, it's really difficult to not... you know... give in to conspiratorial temptations

osama bin laden won. osama bin laden won so hard that after 9/11 he retired to watch the us do exactly what he wanted (because he planned it w/ bush/cheney)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Egg Moron posted:

i think there is a chance that 9/11 and its aftermath in addition to the uptick in mass deprivation since the 08 crisis have made the system more resilient to absorbing COVID without losing much momentum
Is this why America is so terrible? It waited until it was more than two centuries old before getting its first vaccination?