Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Quetzadilla posted:

OP I'm guessing you're fairly young and probably don't have a fully developed personal sense of daily-life pre 9/11 as compared to post. That's not a knock on you or me being patronizing, in many ways pre-9/11 life is basically incomprehensible in retrospect. The short answer is "absolutely, yes, it was probably the single most history-shaping moment of the new millenium for the entire world." Not in and of itself just knocking down a couple buildings and killing 3k, but setting the groundwork for everything that came after. You know about the wars, the 2 million dead & counting, ISIS, the color revolutions, Libya, Syria, Yemen, the proliferation of polio, Uighurs, cocaine, PTSD, ICE, Occupy, Obama, Trump, Biden, Ferguson, George Floyd, the list goes on and on, but you're probably not consciously aware that all of these things are inextricably linked to 9/11 and the project to massively expand the reach and power of the carceral state in reaction to it. Even popular media post-9/11 became extremely jingoistic and fascistic, refocusing from the 90s zeitgeist of rebelling against authority to fighting off invasion/subversion from the other.

That doesn't mean that other historical things haven't been happening since that are also shaping the world, they influence each other, because nothing happens in a vacuum.

The important takeaway here is that osama clearly and inarguably won.

this is a good post.

Eric Hobsbawm wrote of the long 19th century ending in 1914. The long 20th century ended on 9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

paul_soccer12 posted:

mohammed atta was 33 years old at the time. what have tyou done with your life

I turn 34 next week gently caress this post and only this post specifically.