Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I purchased Hammerting today specifically because I saw its devs posting in the Management Games thread, and it led me to thinking - what other games have I bought that were made by goons?

So I asked the Steam thread, and the list quickly became unwieldy. Our forums have been around for a long time and apparently more goon projects have been completed than not!

To that end, I'd like to make a master list of goon-made games. Ideally they'll be things that have been published to storefronts like steam or itch.io - playable, enjoyable things.

Here's what I have so far:

Spreadsheet of Games with links, goons, and impressions! WIP

Goon-Made Games

Caves of Qud
Sproggiwood
Dungeonmans
Tangledeep
Cogmind
Hammerting
Baba Is You
Environmental Station Alpha
Noita
PataNoir
Death Off the Cuff
AlethiCorp
Silicon Zeroes
Brigador
Dropsy
Hypnospace Outlaw
Clockwork Empires
Dungeons of Dredmor
Sequence Storm
Spartan Fist
Jones on Fire
Hot Tin Roof
Fort Meow
We Need To Go Deeper
Gridrunner
Shadows Behind the Throne 1+2
Barkley: Shut Up And Jam
Influence
StarBall
Wark & Wimble
Wyv and Keep
NGU Idle
Skatebird
All Or Nothing: Waves of Steel
Robostar
Roundabout
Village Monsters
Dragon: A Game About A Dragon
Signs of Life
Guild of Dungeoneering
Interstellaria
Rhyme Storm
Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad
Nick Beard: The Fedora of Destiny
IncrediMarble
The Last Stand: Aftermath
House of the Dying Sun
Actual Sunlight
Stick and Move

Would there be an interest in finding more of these? Or in me making a spreadsheet? Hell, for some of them I can write up impressions as I've certainly put way too many hours into them...

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Would there be an interest in finding more of these? Or in me making a spreadsheet? Hell, for some of them I can write up impressions as I've certainly put way too many hours into them...

Death off the Cuff, also available bundled with PataNoir.

http://www.sichris.com/Games/AlethiCorp

If web-based games count, I am pretty proud of AlethiCorp.

I would love a spreadsheet with links and impressions :).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

you can add Environmental Station Alpha and Noita to the list, thanks to Hempuli (see also Baba Is You - quite a pedigree, that)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SimonChris posted:

Death off the Cuff, also available bundled with PataNoir.

http://www.sichris.com/Games/AlethiCorp

If web-based games count, I am pretty proud of AlethiCorp.

I would love a spreadsheet with links and impressions :).

Made the spreadsheet and I'm working on it! Added you, Death off the Cuff, and Hempuli's stuff now.

Still not over how MANY there are, and so many of them are good!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Awesome list! I had no idea some of these were made by goons. I've been working on a game called Mega Knockdown which is going up on the Steam store later this year.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sure, a list would be fun and interesting to find indie projects.

I think this would be daunting if you were to list everything with a goon affiliate though. The forums were popular and less dead, once.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dhamster posted:

Awesome list! I had no idea some of these were made by goons. I've been working on a game called Mega Knockdown which is going up on the Steam store later this year.

Make sure to link it in here when it goes up!

Donnerberg posted:

Sure, a list would be fun and interesting to find indie projects.

I think this would be daunting if you were to list everything with a goon affiliate though. The forums were popular and less dead, once.

I'm not going to dig up every single goon project, but for now I'll take anything, the list cannot be too long - provided the game is out in a playable state.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Don’t forget Barkley, Shut Up And Jam Gaiden!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Make sure to link it in here when it goes up!

Will do! I do have an alpha going, so if anyone wants a key before the game goes public just let me know. It's basically a turn-based take on fighting games.

Stickman posted:

A modern classic. Shame about Barkley 2.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Stickying this for a few days because I love stuff like this.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Knew I was forgetting a good one. Hollow Knight is a goon game. At least one of the devs posted in the Making Games thread during development.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Knew I was forgetting a good one. Hollow Knight is a goon game. At least one of the devs posted in the Making Games thread during development.

God I love that game, and it's amazing to see that a goon worked on it!

Stickman posted:

I never entirely understood that game, but on the list it goes. What an odd thing it was and is. :rip: to the sequel.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cats on a Hot Tin Roof

It's just Hot Tin Roof fyi.

Also if we're counting members of a much larger development team then I recall a couple Arenanet employees were around when Guild Wars 2 launched.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes. It's pretty cool reading about it at the very least.

Edit: Wait, What? Age of Wonders?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Chewbot did the story for Banner Saga. I don't know if they worked on the whole series.

Jake Rodkin of Idle Thumbs fame co-directed the most excellent Firewatch and posts here as ja2ke. He likes dinosaurs and bird noises.

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a goon and I make games!

Influence Play an idea and spread yourself through all the nearby minds (Be a Meme!). https://store.steampowered.com/app/731430/influence/

StarBall 2-on-2 basketball in zero-gravity; Rocket League meets Ender's Game. https://store.steampowered.com/app/821870/StarBall/

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I made a game, Wark & Wimble, that released a few months ago, a sokoban-derived game cut from the same cloth as The Adventures of Lolo and Chip's Challenge.

PC: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1436190/Wark__Wimble/
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bwendt.warkandwimble
iOS: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1387320698

trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n39l4oJEs_I

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

In the process of adding more, but I'd like to highlight rope kid as apparently he worked on "Icewind Dale. After that, Heart of Winter, Trials of the Luremaster, Icewind Dale II, Neverwinter Nights II, Mask of the Betrayer, Storm of Zehir, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, and Pillars of Eternity with a handful of canceled projects over the years." and still posts around here, and that's one hell of a pedigree.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Shouts out to Texmo, a goon that made Wyv and Keep: The Temple of the Lost Idol

A long rear end time ago (7 years??) he was giving out keys and I got one. Its a pretty fun little puzzle game with some really crisp pixel art.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Added:

Influence
StarBall
Wark & Wimble
Banner Saga
Firewatch
Guild Wars 2
Wyv and Keep
NGU Idle

And also adding a bunch of these to my wishlist, as I reveal the true purpose of this project: to find more cool games to buy!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I made a game, Wark & Wimble, that released a few months ago, a sokoban-derived game cut from the same cloth as The Adventures of Lolo and Chip's Challenge.

PC: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1436190/Wark__Wimble/

This looks rather neat. And of course it fell completely under the cracks with just six reviews total since release. Jesus...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
While I don't want to step on anyone's toes, I think some distinction should be made between "indie game and the developer is a goon" and "a game made by 50/500 people and one person on the team is a goon".

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Might as well include all of Carpe Fulgur's, SpaceDrake & BlondRobin's company, work:

Chantelise - A Tale of Two Sisters
Fortune Summoners
This Starry Midnight We Make

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Megazver posted:

While I don't want to step on anyone's toes, I think some distinction should be made between "indie game and the developer is a goon" and "a game made by 50/500 people and one person on the team is a goon".

That is a fair point and I'll try to separate those out into a separate list on the spreadsheet.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Team Cherry (Hollow Knight) are goons? That game is loving sublime on pretty much every axis and I'd love to chat with those guys about process and some of their tech. Ping me Team Cherry if you ever want to talk about game dev things.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Shalinor, a.k.a. glassbottommeg on Twitter, just put a demo of her game SkateBIRD up for the Steam showcase thing. The game is still in development, though.

Along similar lines, I've spent the last year and a half working on my own indie game, Waves of Steel. Again, not finished yet, but I have a demo available (that I'll be taking down at the end of this week :ohdear:).

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I released my first game, Robostar, in early 2020, it's free and has about 1-2 hours of game in it depending on how much you explore. There's a trailer here.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't t he brigador thread completely get shuttered? :v:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Saoshyant posted:

This looks rather neat. And of course it fell completely under the cracks with just six reviews total since release. Jesus...

we indie devs aren't known for our marketing ability :v:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Goons have also worked on VTM:Bloodlines and CP2077.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also pretty much all Paradox Development Studio games, at least since Europa Universalis 3.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

A goon wrote the talking Roach quest in Witcher 3 Blood and Wine expansion. Great quest.

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

Nebalebadingdong posted:

we indie devs aren't known for our marketing ability :v:

Word.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Roundabout
100ft Robot Golf

The Spatials
Galactology

Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, I just remembered a neat one: Village Monsters by WarpDogs

It's like a cross of Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing. A character living among monsters. If you bought the massive BLM itch.io bundle, you already own it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Katana zero has a byob ref in one of the rooms, and is written by one of the barkley goons iirc

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

itry posted:

Edit: Wait, What? Age of Wonders?

Gerblyn is on the team and posts in the Planetfall thread all the time!

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Remembered a few more:

Interstellaria
Guild of Dungeoneering
Signs of Life
Dragon: A Game About a Dragon

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I made a freestyle rapping rhythm game called Rhyme Storm with another goon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rhyme_storm/status/1313597131962294272

It's currently in Early Access and we've already released our first big update that adds the ability to load your own MP3 and OGG beats. A VR mode is coming soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad? is a goonmade game made by a goon (me)

The incredible Everdraed, blastron and JossiRossi also did the animation/music/voice for the trailer, in addition to a bunch of sprites for the trailer being made by gamedev goons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_EWr2GJ5A