Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ha, I had totally forgotten about this little gem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Goddamn that's a pretty impressive list.

Lots of gems and forgotten things.
Whatever happened to the Dungeons of Dredmor team? I'd kill for a sequel/successor

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Goddamn that's a pretty impressive list.

Lots of gems and forgotten things.
Whatever happened to the Dungeons of Dredmor team? I'd kill for a sequel/successor

They tried to make Clockwork Empires, ran out of money and died.

Personally I think Dungeonmans is the next best step if you want a cool humorous roguelike.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Dungeonmans is super good, yeah.

Incidentally, Dungeonmans was made by madjackmcmad, and Tangledeep by Zircon.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Desktop Dungeons was super rad and I don't think they've followed up at all :(

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Almost forgot, I do have another game on Steam from a couple years ago. It's free but very short.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/872240/Nick_Beard_The_Fedora_of_Destiny/

Simone Magus posted:

Desktop Dungeons was super rad and I don't think they've followed up at all :(

Probably one of my favorite games. Can't recommend it enough.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Acerbatus posted:

Didn't t he brigador thread completely get shuttered? :v:

I do wonder if we shouldn't have an asterisk or something for games that are technically made by goons but we probably don't actually want to be associated with us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBAWYofFRHw

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I made IncrediMarble which is here:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1488100/IncrediMarble/

It's also on iOS, on the MacOS store tonight, and on Android at some point in the next couple months but it seems like the spreadsheet is just for steam links so, there you go.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Paradox's map games tend to have goon pedigree. Wiz was hired for his Crusader Kings II mods, and later headed the Stellaris team along which also employed LordMune.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Paradox's map games tend to have goon pedigree. Wiz was hired for his Crusader Kings II mods, and later headed the Stellaris team along which also employed LordMune.

I thought that name was familiar and sure enough Lordmune also did some fantastic David Cage lps

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I do wonder if we shouldn't have an asterisk or something for games that are technically made by goons but we probably don't actually want to be associated with us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBAWYofFRHw

Not defending Jack, but this video has some wrong information about the rest of the team. Jack wasn't living with the other devs while Brigador was being made, he was living several states away.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

...of SCIENCE! posted:

What? You mean like CliffyB and Epic Games?

Con of the Dead
Sep 25, 2004

I'm a goon of days past. In fact I auditioned for voice actors on these very boards only to get a young Total Biscuit on board for one of my games. It was a different time.

I made The Last Stand, Warfare 1917 and Crush the Castle amongst other web games years ago under the name Con Artist Games. Now working on The Last Stand: Aftermath - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1266840/The_Last_Stand_Aftermath/

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Yeah, there's several goons at Paradox. cKnoor works there too. He's talked about getting in thanks to his experience with lets plays, but I forget the details. I think it was in the community management side of things.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Goon Archangel is on the Hearts of Iron IV dev team and regularly posts in the thread.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Con of the Dead posted:

I'm a goon of days past. In fact I auditioned for voice actors on these very boards only to get a young Total Biscuit on board for one of my games. It was a different time.

I made The Last Stand, Warfare 1917 and Crush the Castle amongst other web games years ago under the name Con Artist Games. Now working on The Last Stand: Aftermath - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1266840/The_Last_Stand_Aftermath/

Total Biscuit did voiceacting for a game called Space Pirates and Zombies, back in the day: https://store.steampowered.com/app/107200/Space_Pirates_and_Zombies/. Rather a tenuous link, but it's still an excellent game. The Yogscast are also goons, but the Yogventures never amounted to anything.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Simon is a goony as a goon can get.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017
Wasn't Unepic also made by a goon?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/233980/UnEpic/

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Dredging up some ancient memories. Some of them so vague that they are completely unhelpful, like I remember at least a couple of Telltale employees posting on the forums roughly during the Sam & Max and Tales from Monkey Island period.

Something actually specific though is House of the Dying Sun by Kairo, as a one-man production. Took me a while to dig up the archived thread and confirm my memories.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I also have been trying to dredge up some old memories and now I remember that there was this game called Actual Sunlight which got posted about by its author here about seven years ago or more. I don't remember who they are though and it's a goddamn mess trying to find anything in the archives. But seems like they have been busy since there's been two other games released since.

I do remember Actual Sunlight resonating with some goons due to the game's handling of themes like depression.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh yeah, trying to find info about Actual Sunlight in an ancient Steam Greenlight thread that used to be around, I found that goon Yodzilla is/was part of a small studio that released at the time a game called Stick & Move, which is only available on itch.io -- for some reason, they never bothered putting it on Steam.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Spreadsheet FINALLY updated, adding 16 new games to the list, as well as a few to the goon-team list. We're at 53 goon-made games that you can go to steam or itch.io and purchase, and most of them are good!

Notes:

- To anyone providing usernames, THANK YOU, it feels good to fill those in and I suck at exploring the archives
- As I am a mostly PC-user, the list has focused on steam/itch/PC-based storefronts. Please tell me about games on other platforms, though!
- As for persons like TotalBiscuit and CliffyB, I am not putting them on the list as - as I understand events - they are their own brands instead of goons? If I am wrong, let me know.

If anyone is willing, please provide impressions or reviews of goon-made games you have played. I intend to starting writing up at least one tomorrow, schedule permitting.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Strix, would you prefer that everyone just post the usernames in thread when we have them? I could PM also if you don't want a bunch of repeat posts about the same games. I think I may even have some links to some of the game dev posts I found most interesting in the past.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Strix, would you prefer that everyone just post the usernames in thread when we have them? I could PM also if you don't want a bunch of repeat posts about the same games. I think I may even have some links to some of the game dev posts I found most interesting in the past.

I don't have a strong preference either way! But since I'm being pressed:

- feel free to PM me!
- If you have links to cool posts, please share them here, I don't want to hoard them or have them be spreadsheet only

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

StrixNebulosa posted:

- As for persons like TotalBiscuit and CliffyB, I am not putting them on the list as - as I understand events - they are their own brands instead of goons? If I am wrong, let me know.
That also solves the question of what to do about Derek Smart, who I really wouldn't call a goon developer.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If you're not careful this OP could be inspirational. :ohdear:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

itry posted:

If you're not careful this OP could be inspirational. :ohdear:

Good!! Goons are capable of great things, and you happen to be a goon!

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

StrixNebulosa posted:

Good!! Goons are capable of great things, and you happen to be a goon!

You should PM user VideoGamesVet. I think the guy's been in the games industry since before a lot of us were even born and has worked on all kinds of stuff. Most recently he made The Climate Trail (https://www.theclimatetrail.com/) among other things.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

The Joe Man posted:

DeliciousBees
Roundabout
100ft Robot Golf

unlurked
The Spatials
Galactology

Mr Underhill
Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure
Edited the above to include usernames.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Alright, some updated info...

Interstellaria - by Crow Zone (previously posted under screen name Coldrice)
Signs of Life - by Lucid Dream
Fort Meow - by RhysD
We Need To Go Deeper - by Bert of the Forest
Dragon: A Story About a Dragon - by Fur20 (previously posted under screen name The White Dragon)

Guild of Dungeoneering - by retro sexual - This is a good one to check in the Making Games thread to show how much the game is transformed when the art comes together, especially when they starting tweening the poo poo out of everything. Really cool stuff.

Disco Elysium - by kinnas - Posted in the Making Games thread back when the game was still called No Truce For The Furies. Not too many posts, but it's really cool to see early placeholders, concepts and work-in-progress stuff.

Hollow Knight - by George Lazenby - There were dev posts in Making Games as well as the Kickstarter thread, and then the Hollow Knight thread later on. The KS thread is a good read to show the run up to a successful KS campaign. Also, it's amazing to me how complete, well realized and coherent the aesthetic on that game seems to have been from its earliest public emergence. Particularly when this dev's previous game he posted about looked like this:

Also, here are some others that I remembered...
SCRAPS - by Nition
The Consuming Shadow and Hatfall - by Yahtzee

EDIT - VVV Oh yeah! That one is by asmasm.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 6, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Wrench is goonmade, though I can't off the top of my head recall the handle of the goon involved. They post occasionally in the Making Games Megathread though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Finally found the author of Actual Sunlight through the drat forum archive, it's NeonCowboy. Still posts occasionally, made other games like Guildmaster Story, which they were giving out for free in GBS last year.

While looking through the archives, I found some posts from good ol' Doug Dinsdale, who used to be a frequent poster in Nintendo related threads. He is (or at least used to be) the main Japanese translator for games like Pokemon or Dragon Quest, not every entry, but quite a few important ones. Made up that classic line "shorts are comfy and easy to wear". Thought it would be relevant to mention.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://store.steampowered.com/app/350150/Scraps_Modular_Vehicle_Combat/

The developer of Scraps is a goon and posted about it in the Kickstarter thread. That song has been stuck in my head ever since.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSLy2CmLT7w

It's the song from this original trailer video, made by the developer himself, that is stuck in my head, not the one from the Steam video.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 7, 2021

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I know a goon did level design for Ori and the Blind Forest. Kosmokrats was also posted about immediately and goon-made.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Goon Yodzilla also made Drive to Hell

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My apologies for my absence, depression is a hell of a thing.

Updating the spreadsheet now and bringing this out of PMs:

Rebel Blob found this:

quote:

[...] finally chased it down: ja2ke is former Telltale developer Jake Rodkin. Here he is talking about the Sam & Max Remaster.

He might be the single most important goon developer: co-project lead on Tales of Monkey Island, director/writer of The Walking Dead, and designer/writer of Firewatch. With a huge resume of just about everything at Telltale Games, co-founder of Campo Santo, and now a designer at Valve with a credit on Half-Life: Alyx.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I knew that j.peeba is Grimrock guy, but he has done plenty of other stuff as well: https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,209137/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Also, here are some others that I remembered...
SCRAPS - by Nition
The Consuming Shadow and Hatfall - by Yahtzee

EDIT - VVV Oh yeah! That one is by asmasm.

This is a GOOD post, thank you!

Questions:

SCRAPS is... https://store.steampowered.com/app/350150/Scraps_Modular_Vehicle_Combat/ ? Or some other game? e: DOH answered already

Yahtzee also made the Chzo Mythos, 1213 and other things and yeah that's going in the list, those are cool indie projects that I loved playing as a teen.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, spreadsheet updated! Fart of Presto, thank you for reminding me about Drive to Hell, that was a radical top-down SHMUP that I remember having a lot of fun with when it first dropped.

Keep 'em coming if you can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
RoyAwesome made Squad, Kiva made Battletech (Persenche on here I think?)