Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

You should PM user VideoGamesVet. I think the guy's been in the games industry since before a lot of us were even born and has worked on all kinds of stuff. Most recently he made The Climate Trail (https://www.theclimatetrail.com/) among other things.

Yep, my first game was published by Avalon Hill in 1980 and delivered on cassette tape!

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Games I did ALL the coding on:

Avalon Hill:

Conflict 2500
Voyager 1
Controller

Aegis Development:

The Pyramid of Peril
McChallenger the Space Shuttle Simulator

Deep State Games:

The Climate Trail.

Games I did the technical production, part of the coding and/or co-designed.

Activision:

Manhole CD-ROM
Rodney’s Fun Screen
LGOP2
The Return To Zork

Lightspan: A whole bunch of games I did concept stuff

Bonus Mobile:

The Dozens

PlayScreen:

IWhack
Pigs A’ Pop;’n
Bailout Bonanza
Word Carnivale
Bag Bigfoot
Impossible Hex

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh dang, that's an appropriate username :worship:

Legit question: do you still get the same kick you did from typing code by hand on those ancient microcomputers as when you program in the modern era?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Oh dang, that's an appropriate username :worship:

Legit question: do you still get the same kick you did from typing code by hand on those ancient microcomputers as when you program in the modern era?

Somewhat. I coded “The Climate Trail” in Ren’Py, and learning Python to do stuff like the hidden object mini-game was fun. It was nice to be able to program all of a game. I missed it, the last game I had really coded on my own was stuff on the original Mac in ‘85.

But when I did Return To Zork’s ‘engine’, I was programming stuff like the digital video player and audio stuff right at the ‘metal.’ It was amazingly complex. For example the audio compression was adaptive, audio encoded at variable rates. Ditto the video frames, so streaming this from a CD was a feat of engineering. Even the lip flap was based on the current audio compression rates, a nice side effect.

Unity and Ren’Py are so high level by comparison.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD IS HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE
I made a game! Would you help me playtest it?

The Solar Scion playtest is here! Do you want to be a part of development? Have your feedback heard?

You can speak up on the Steam community page

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm necroing the poo poo out of this thread because my Steam page finally went up

here

It's basically spacewestern Zelda, on pc :v:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
This was linked in the steam thread. Sad that I am left out of the paragoons! I have worked on:

Victoria 2 (I also made mods for Victoria 1 than ended up being folded into official patches)
Hearts of Iron 3 + 4 (I was also a beta tester on HoI2 and did some work which was included)
EU 3 + 4
CK 2

Now that I have left PDS I work on Old World.

Might be worth mentioned that the Hammerting dev, Zerf, used to work at PDS too. IIRC he worked on Victoria 2 and CK2.
Wiz took over Victoria 3 when he left Stellaris. He also worked on EU4.
Lordmune worked on CK3, but has escaped back to Stellaris.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 21, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Holy poo poo. Not only have goons worked at major studios, which I would have expected, but goons have written/been on the teams of some of the indie smashes of the last few years.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Shoehead posted:

I'm necroing the poo poo out of this thread because my Steam page finally went up

here

I wishlisted this basically instantly. Love how you've got a 2D platforming section just like Link's Awakening. It's blatant but in the absolute best possible way.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Shoehead posted:

here

I look forwards to trying this. Definitely down for some weird space Zelda, and looks like it's got enough of its own thing going on to catch my interest.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My arcade naval combat simulator, Waves of Steel, launched on Early Access today. Does that count?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
There was also Moutain of Debt that was done for a SA Game Jam that was a solid Metroidvania. Unfortunately it was Flash based so I have no idea if it's ever going to be playable again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO5niMsgR2U

Here is some video of someone playing it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

So I got Mountain of Debt working, but it's a bit of a hassle.

1) Download and install Newgrounds' standalone flash player.

2) Macromedia has disabled flash with a setting in a config file. Newgrounds' player claims to override this, but it didn't work for me, so I had to override it manually. Download mms.cfg and overwrite the file in the following directories (if they exist):
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\
C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\

3) Download the Mountain of Debt SWF file. The official page download is very slow (several minutes for a 12MB file), so I'm also providing a Google Drive mirror. I'll down the link if the author (or anyone) disapproves.
Official link
Google Drive mirror

4) Run the Newgrounds flash player and load the SWF. I'm not sure if everything works properly, but it seems fine for the first 5 minutes!

Hopefully it'll eventually work with a flash emulator, but it appears to use features that aren't supported by Ruffle yet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Don't forget the Dogpit. Lots of awesome games as well as goon-filled game jams happening with them. They're awesome and great, and I'm not just saying that because I did the score for The Cherry Orchard and will be scoring Red Star Azimuth. :getin:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Holy poo poo. Not only have goons worked at major studios, which I would have expected, but goons have written/been on the teams of some of the indie smashes of the last few years.

a goon pal works at dinosaur polo, who make mini metro/mini motorways. which is #4 on steam sales rn, holy poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My arcade naval combat simulator, Waves of Steel, launched on Early Access today. Does that count?

Heck yes it does

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I do wonder if we shouldn't have an asterisk or something for games that are technically made by goons but we probably don't actually want to be associated with us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBAWYofFRHw

Cool video lol.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

We've got a goon gamedev in the wild:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3954084&perpage=40&pagenumber=93#pti19

82apps posted:

Heyo, this is Erik, the developer of Factory Town. Just got pinged here by a user to help out with questions. I haven't used SA a lot so my apologies if I break some kind of etiquette.

I personally love spaghetti towns, but I know it can be painful when you need to make changes since there isn't yet a good 'x-ray' editing mode (am hoping to add that though).

In some of the recent patches, I made Markets more user-friendly so you only need to place one within your Town Center radius (connected by road), and it'll be able to supply goods to all houses in the same Town Center. That may help you move your production out further, so your town isn't as cramped.

If you do want to just start from scratch, hit TAB and then you can click & drag to select a large area, and hit Delete to wipe out everything selected.

Folks should cruise by the Management Thread and say hi!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

But when I did Return To Zork’s ‘engine’, I was programming stuff like the digital video player and audio stuff right at the ‘metal.’ It was amazingly complex. For example the audio compression was adaptive, audio encoded at variable rates. Ditto the video frames, so streaming this from a CD was a feat of engineering. Even the lip flap was based on the current audio compression rates, a nice side effect.

had to drop by to say thanks for this, I have fond memories of this game

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

victrix posted:

had to drop by to say thanks for this, I have fond memories of this game

You're welcome.

It was the best thing I ever did in my career. The UI is still impressive (asking NPC's about photos you took, objects, and conversations ... for one). Very proud of that.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

You're welcome.

It was the best thing I ever did in my career. The UI is still impressive (asking NPC's about photos you took, objects, and conversations ... for one). Very proud of that.

Weirdly I had this video pop up in my Algorithm just a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCimuf6F6C8

I'm not entirely sure what inspired it to put that on my plate, but I shared it with friends and we performed the ritual WANT SOME RYE?

phone posting rn so I can't do it atm, but remind me to drop by later with my tales of Return to Zork in a small college town

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I made a game about cranking hogs

Jemak
Dec 27, 2003

Go to JAIL.
Go directly to JAIL.
Do not pass GO.
Do not collect :200bux:

Are you tracking boardgames at all?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/29569/magic-meeple-games

I developed and internationally published all of these games.

I also designed a board game for another publisher, it was called Magnum Opus.

Jemak fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 3, 2022

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
(snip)

dhamster fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 2, 2022

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

My game now has a demo on Steam. During Next Fest all the characters will be unlocked for multiplayer.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1492750/Mega_Knockdown/

Not sure when early access will start. Probably will depend on what the feedback on the demo looks like.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Interstellaria (sort of a homage to Star Control 2) is currently free if you ever wanted to check it out.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

dhamster posted:

My game now has a demo on Steam. During Next Fest all the characters will be unlocked for multiplayer.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1492750/Mega_Knockdown/

Not sure when early access will start. Probably will depend on what the feedback on the demo looks like.

Oh, I announced an Early Access release date today. July 29.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

dhamster posted:

Oh, I announced an Early Access release date today. July 29.

Aaand it's out!
https://twitter.com/MegaKnockdown/status/1553033278751444993

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Trombone Champ is a goon made game

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1572372646012260353

Here's the original post from the making games thread:

Polo-Rican posted:

A long time ago I came up with an idea for a music game like Guitar Hero, except you played with a big floppy rubber trombone peripheral and everything always sounded awful.

While showering a few days ago I realized that moving a mouse forward and back is almost the same motion - I could make the game without a peripheral at all!!

https://twitter.com/vecchitto/status/1020347113375399938

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

We laughed at the trombone game in the Steam thread. What a pleasant surprise to learn it's goon made.

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

I programmed Wunderling DX, made a bunch of levels and designed the UI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVRBmgjPtzo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kandria, whose development is documented here.

Pigmassacre posted:

I programmed Wunderling DX, made a bunch of levels and designed the UI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVRBmgjPtzo

Oh drat, I really liked that one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My ridiculous arcade naval combat game, Waves of Steel, has finally launched!

https://twitter.com/byobattleship/status/1622596317041278976

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh poo poo this looks up my street, thank you!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That looks crazy with so many different parts. And it's reviewing well, too. Congrats, my goon! Seems like it was worth the effort.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

congrats on the release!!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thank you, everyone! If you want to help, spreading the word makes a huge difference. People don't buy games they don't know about!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thank you, everyone! If you want to help, spreading the word makes a huge difference. People don't buy games they don't know about!

Spreading word now- a goon in the fresh releases thread has a controls feature request you may want to look into.

Kenlon posted:

I just bought this and then refunded it after trying out the tutorial mission - there's an invert-Y camera option, but no invert-X, and I know from long experience that my brain simply will not wrap itself around that.

drat shame - if that was added, I'd rebuy it in a heartbeat, because it looks like the best sort of insanity.

Separately, I suggest curating some quotes from your negative reviews and making a trailer out of them.

vvv entirely fair on both counts. I am using the negative reviews to promote the game to other goons, tho. I especially liked the one from steam user "Kingcop".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 8, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

Spreading word now- a goon in the fresh releases thread has a controls feature request you may want to look into.

Ah, thanks! I had someone ask that on the Steam forums as well, but they also in the same sentence said they were going to refund unless I did what they wanted, which wasn't especially motivating for me. Granted that I was on 4 hours of sleep at the time. Anyway, noted, will look into it when I've slept.

(edit: lol, almost certainly the same person in both posts)

quote:

Separately, I suggest curating some quotes from your negative reviews and making a trailer out of them.

I've given a lot of thought to how to capitalize on angry chuds. The thing is that there's an extremely fine line between taunting chuds and touching the poop. I'm not even remotely confident I could pull it off, and if I gently caress it up, it could have seriously negative consequences for my community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
it's likely something covered in steam input settings as well :rolleye: